PDA

View Full Version : What to replace first?

Mikerfixit
04-27-2018, 09:33
I started short hikes a few years ago with the agreement that I made with my wife that I would either use what I had or keep the cost of what I needed low. I hammock camp and have been using a closed cell foam pad and a mummy bag that claims to be rated for 0-degrees. I was highly skeptical about the claims on the mummy bag but figured it would be alright in the 40-degree weather I usually hike it. Boy was I wrong. For the past two years i have shivered my way through the night any time the temperature got into the 40's even wearing a puffy coat and cap at night.

After the last trip, where the temperatures got into the 30's, I told my wife that I need to take care of my sleep system as it wasn't doing it job. She agreed that I could spend the money to improve my sleep system.

I can only replace one item and am trying to figure out if I should replace the sleeping bag with a quality (comparatively) top quilt or should I replace the foam pad with an under quilt.

I would like to hear some suggestions and opinions so that I make a better decision.

Thank you in advance.

OCDave
04-27-2018, 09:43
Buy a 20* underquilt. That one purchase will make a tremendous difference. Anything you have works as top insulation.

Pondjumpr
04-27-2018, 09:48
Get an Underquilt first. If you have been able to use the sleeping bag until now with no issues, other than being cold, you will be fine to continue using your current bag. You can find an inexpensive top quilt later if you see the need for something more specific to your sleep system.

cmoulder
04-27-2018, 09:56
+3 on the UQ.

HG 20deg Incubator, the regular one, not the "Econ", which is lighter and more compressible than the Econ, if budget allows — superb quality at a reasonable price. Watch Shug's video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrGfSgt1w2E) on how to adjust it properly.

Southeast
04-27-2018, 10:41
Another vote for 20* UQ. I often pair a warmer UQ with a not-as-warm TQ or sleeping bag and they work just fine together.

I use a 3/4 length for backpacking but in your case it would also make the $ go farther. You would need a small pad to put in the foot box inside your sleeping bag. A section of your closed cell pad may work.

Good luck.

tagg
04-27-2018, 10:48
Agree with all. Start with a 20* UQ.

BuckeyeBill
04-27-2018, 11:51
Add me to the list of buy an under quilt. If you or your wife is craft and can sew you can make one for much cheaper. Checkout Hammockforums.net (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forum.php) for more ideas.

randall_mcduberson
04-27-2018, 13:48
UQ all day. I wish I could remember were I got my 3/4 length, but I only paid 100 dollars for it. Seems expensive, but compared to others, its a steal. It isn't the best, but I have used it, with a sleeping bag and warming layers, down into the 30s and been reasonably comfortable. Do some searching. In any case, it has been the best purchase I have made for my hammock, hands down.

towerclimber727
04-27-2018, 15:11
100% an underquilt... The size and temp rating is up to you but I'd go down to 20 at the least... Especially if you do alot of 3 season camping. Good luck and hang with it!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

TX Aggie
04-27-2018, 17:48
I’ll be the lone dissenter and say underquilt......

Seriously, my UQ was a game changer once I made the Conversion. Your sleeping bag is probably fine.

TNhiker
04-27-2018, 17:49
I’ll be the lone dissenter and say underquilt......

everybody else said underquilt as well :)

TX Aggie
04-27-2018, 17:57
everybody else said underquilt as well :)

That’s the joke....[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Snowman
04-27-2018, 18:12
The UQ will give you the best value for your dollar

Mikerfixit
04-27-2018, 21:53
Under quilt it is then. I've been eyeing the bud winter quilt by outdoor wilderness logic.

Does as anyone have experience with them?

I need to stay in $150 or under range.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Time Zone
04-27-2018, 22:39
Contrarian here. What kind of closed-cell foam pad were you using for insulation underneath you? Size, r-value or thickness? Just wondering if it's possible that your CCF pad is too small or too thin.

While it's true most people prefer underquilts, not all do, and they can be much more fiddly, at least at first. You want them close enough to prevent drafts, but not so close you're compressing the insulation against your underside. Add to that the possibility you may want to sleep at an angle for a flatter lay in a gathered-end hammock. And if you toss and turn, and move around a lot, you've got a delicate balance to strike. But most people eventually get it. I wasn't that patient - I found it way too fiddly.

Mikerfixit
04-28-2018, 09:27
It was the cheap blue pad from Walmart. I didn't spend much on the pad nor the sleeping bag trying to keep costs down. Of the two the pad was by far the cheapest.

Everything I now own will slowly get replaced so I don't have a problem replacing the pad even if any underquilt might be fidgety. I have been shivering at night for the last two years so I can be patient getting use to a quilt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Shrewd
04-28-2018, 15:21
Arrowhead equipment has the Jarbridge, a synthetic 3 season option that’s rated to around 25 I think that is in your budget.

Loco Libre had one called the cayenne pepper which I thought was an amazing deal, also synthetic, but I’m unsure if he still sells it.

For a few more shekels you can look into Hammock Gear’s Econ line, which is a fantastic option

I agree with most; UQ all the way.
I regularly pair my 20 UQ with a 45 TQ

Shrewd
04-28-2018, 15:26
Ok I don’t see the Cayenne Pepper but he does have a saver series that is within 10 bucks of your budget.

Mikerfixit
04-30-2018, 09:15
A few nice choices. Thanks for the recommendations.

Now I need to dig between the car seats and save up the pennies.