PDA

View Full Version : Pearisburg to Daleville trip report

icebeard
04-30-2018, 15:01
Hey everyone!
Just returned from my latest section from Pearisburg to Daleville 4/23-4/28. Overall a really beautiful section with a mixture of some long ridge walks and some good climbs thrown in!
-Rained on me for the first 3 days, so water was not an issue anywhere in this section. In fact, the trail was more of a river in places than a trail!
-Day 1 Pearisburg to Rice Field Shelter 6.3 mi
Got a shuttle from Don Raines, highly recommend his service. Right on time, and a great conversationalist to boot. Started around 1, at the shelter by 4. Piece of cake! Beautiful views from the field in front
of the shelter. Many early NOBOs coming through.

-Day 2 Rice Field to Bailey Gap 16.5 mi
Rainy day, LOTS of water along (and on) the trail through here. Last climb up to the shelter was soul crushing at the end of the day! Thought it was just me, but all the thrus were talking about it as well!

-Day 3 Bailey Gap to Laurel Creek 14.6 mi
Another Rainy day, very sloggy trail. Beautiful shelter setting.

-Day 4 Laurel Creek to Pickle Branch 22.5 mi
What was I thinking pulling of this many miles today! Beautiful hike, treadway very rough between Sarver and Niday, but improved DRAMATICALLY after Niday! Well graded trail. Pickle Branch is
an absolutely gorgeous setting! The side trail has multiple camping opportunities in a mixture of field and pine.

-Day 5 Pickle Branch to Catawba 14.6 mi
The treadway was a dream in the first part of this section. The climbs were awesomely graded with long sweeping switchbacks to make you barely realize the elevation youve gained. Saw a bear about
a half mile from the Dragons tooth! Coming down the Dragons tooth is a Doozy! Be prepared to slow WAY down coming down! Climb up to Catawba continued the great treadway trend with an easy
climb up to the shelter. Great water source right before the shelter on the AT.

-Day 6 Catawba to Daleville 17.8 mi
What can I say to explain McAfee Knob? Absolutely stunning views from up top, got up there early and only saw a few people including Danger, a former thru who so kindly took my picture on the
diving board and gave me some clementines! Next was Tinker Cliffs, very beautiful but also very crowded by this time. The rest of the hike to Daleville provided ridge walking and occasional views of Carvin
Cove reservoir. Emerged from the woods at Valley Cleaners who so kindly allowed me to park my vehicle there. Got a room at Howard Johnsons, they were exceptionally friendly! And you MUST get beers
and bbq at 3 Little Pigs! Soooo good!

Crushed Grapes
04-30-2018, 16:58
You got through McAfee Knob at the perfect time, since the area was closed starting yesterday due to the fire

Gambit McCrae
05-01-2018, 12:55
Great Report!

Don Raines is always a good call on shuttles in that area.

Rice Field Shelter is a great spot I wish I could have stayed at, I ended up at the Captains place thru there.

Seatbelt
05-01-2018, 13:01
Thanks for this report! I plan to hike this same stretch later this year.

Astro
05-02-2018, 09:59
3 Little Pigs BBQ is a real treat after walking in the woods. Great section there with the VA triple crown.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Odd Man Out
05-02-2018, 13:28
3 Little Pigs BBQ is a real treat after walking in the woods. Great section there with the VA triple crown.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I ate there too. Loved it. I recall reading in one of the trail guides that they had a great beer selection, however I would say they have beer, including a couple local microbrews, but it is far from beer mecca. Still recommended.

Deacon
05-03-2018, 07:58
I ate there too. Loved it. I recall reading in one of the trail guides that they had a great beer selection, however I would say they have beer, including a couple local microbrews, but it is far from beer mecca. Still recommended.

And they give free desert to hikers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LittleMartin
05-07-2018, 14:29
Awesome! I'm planning to do a section in late May/early June. Bland to Daleville. How far is the Howard Johnson's from the trail?

martinb
05-08-2018, 10:05
the trail goes right by it at US220

PR Man
05-11-2018, 20:12
I'm doing the same section in late June.

Does anyone know if the trail has been reopened after the fire or when it will be?

SteelCut
05-18-2018, 11:27
I am going to be doing this exact section in about a month. What is the camping situation around VA 624? I've seen mentions about camping behind Catawba Grocery or camping behind Four Pines Hostel. The Guthook reviews on Four Pines Hostel are all over the place (either loved it or hated it) and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either one of these options.

Crushed Grapes
05-18-2018, 13:10
I'm doing the same section in late June.

Does anyone know if the trail has been reopened after the fire or when it will be?

Via the ATC website, it is open:

McAfee Knob/Roanoke Area - Trail Has Re-Opened; Caution Advised
(Updated 5/16/18) A 19.8-mile section of the Appalachian Trail has re-opened in Central Virginia — from VA 311 (mile 709.4 from Springer Mtn., GA) north to US 220 (mile 729.2 from Springer Mtn., GA). It had previously been closed due to a wildfire on Catawba Mountain. Hikers are advised to use caution due to fire-weakened trees.