PDA

View Full Version : Keeping pop tarts intact?

connolm
05-01-2018, 19:43
Tired of crushed pop tarts. Tricks for keeping them intact?

Saw someone suggest a plastic VHS tape case. That made me chuckle! When's the last time you saw a VHS tape?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

devoidapop
05-01-2018, 19:48
I use an old laser disc case to keep tortillas fresh

lonehiker
05-01-2018, 19:49
They taste the same crumbled up...

Venchka
05-01-2018, 20:28
If it’s really critical, try a GLAD square 3 1/8 cup leftover container. Not sure if it will hold enough pop tarts to be of any use. I don’t do pop tarts. Either organic or inorganic. Yes. There are organic pop tarts.
Wayne

MuddyWaters
05-01-2018, 20:31
They taste the same crumbled up...

But they really make a mess in the toaster

TexasBob
05-01-2018, 20:36
When's the last time you saw a VHS tape?

Goodwill store and yard sales are good places to look.

scrabbler
05-01-2018, 21:52
Whats the first thing you do when you put it in your mouth? Think of this as conserving energy!

Puddlefish
05-01-2018, 22:07
Eat the entire box while enroute to the trailhead.

Odd Man Out
05-01-2018, 23:05
The Plastic tubs that French's crispy fried onions come in quite handy. I've used them for things like pop tarts and as a "garbage can". The onions are great trail food too. Onions are a vegetable so they are health food, right?

HooKooDooKu
05-02-2018, 00:22
Don't know how well it would work with Pop-Tarts, but I've had some good success at vacuum-packing foods to protect them (Food Saver).
An example of something that works great like this is Japanese Noodles (think spaghetti). A stack of Oreo cookies does pretty well if you don't vacuum too tight. Brownies didn't work well because the pressure squeezes the oil out of the brownie. Medications you want to carry in your 1st aid kit but hope not to need do great vacuum packing as well (prevents the pills from rubbing against each other and slowly turning to dust).

Tundracamper
05-02-2018, 06:39
I would think you would need something that would hold the pop tarts tight and secure without crushing them. Perhaps one of those plastic containers noted above with some paper towel wrapped around the tart would work. It seems to me that any jostling of the tart in a container will eventually cause it to start crumbling.

Cue
05-02-2018, 07:24
I don't over-engineer it. I just keep them in their original rigid, yet lightweight box and put it as close as I can to the top of my pack. Problem solved. (Put the box in a gallon ziplock if moisture is a factor.)

Uncle Joe
05-02-2018, 08:25
I have put them in a ziplock baggie with a piece of cardboard on each side. Then I put them in my food bag and try to sandwich them between other things like Ramen packets etc.

Deadeye
05-02-2018, 11:25
I keep my food in a plastic pretzel jug - Google "Utz Pretzels" and you'll see. Poptarts remain in one glorious raspberry-frosted piece!

Malto
05-02-2018, 13:23
I can't put them in a rigid container. It would make my pillow hard.

devoidapop
05-02-2018, 14:08
I keep my food in a plastic pretzel jug - Google "Utz Pretzels" and you'll see. Poptarts remain in one glorious raspberry-frosted piece!

I'm really liking this idea. I have an old animal crackers barrel and the bottom straps of my pack wrap around it with no problem (I have previously never used them). No more digging through my pack for lunch!

Deadeye
05-02-2018, 14:21
I'm really liking this idea. I have an old animal crackers barrel and the bottom straps of my pack wrap around it with no problem (I have previously never used them). No more digging through my pack for lunch!

It's also effective at keeping food clean, dry, bug free, and mouse free. I'm not sure I'd trust straps to hold it outside my pack... things have a nasty habit of working their way out of those.

Venchka
05-02-2018, 14:58
It's also effective at keeping food clean, dry, bug free, and mouse free. I'm not sure I'd trust straps to hold it outside my pack... things have a nasty habit of working their way out of those.
A clever person could overcome that habit.
Come on Page 2!
Wayne

Venchka
05-02-2018, 15:05
Utz pretzels:
Looking at the Sam’s Club inventory. Do you use the straight sided container with the largest opening?
Wayne

daddytwosticks
05-02-2018, 16:09
I have be known to use those small, lightweight metal food tins to keep crushables intact. As an added bonus, the food container is rodent-proof. :)

Deadeye
05-02-2018, 21:01
Utz pretzels:
Looking at the Sam’s Club inventory. Do you use the straight sided container with the largest opening?
Wayne

It's been a few years since I actually bought one. The 28 ounce sourdough specials looks like what I use - it has a screw top. Might not be the biggest opening, but easy enough to fit a hand, or a typical mountain house meal pouch.

Toga
05-02-2018, 22:20
I use a Folgers coffee tub.

Venchka
05-03-2018, 03:25
It's been a few years since I actually bought one. The 28 ounce sourdough specials looks like what I use - it has a screw top. Might not be the biggest opening, but easy enough to fit a hand, or a typical mountain house meal pouch.
Thank you!
Wayne

BowGal
05-03-2018, 06:30
I don’t mind my pop tarts being all crumbled, kind of like eating granola.

zelph
05-03-2018, 08:31
I crumble mine up in a bowl, pour on milk and enjoy. What's not to like about broken PopTarts? PopTarts with out frosting ;)

nsherry61
05-03-2018, 08:44
. . .PopTarts with out frosting ;)
Now, that's disgusting!

That's like drinking decaffeinated coffee. Heck, heroine addicts may as well just start injecting saline solution as an excuse to poke needles in their arms.

What's the point?

What's the world coming to?

Recalc
05-03-2018, 09:00
. . . PopTarts with out frosting ;)

A few years ago, my wife joined me on the AT for a week. A young hiker was looking over the food he had just received in his mail drop and immediately gave away the pop tarts sans frosting. My wife said, "You shouldn't do that, it was from your mother". He replied, "It is proof that my mother doesn't love me. Who would mail their child pop tarts without frosting?".

Shrewd
05-03-2018, 09:18
A friend of my mine used to spread peanut butter on them to hold them together.

I thought it was brilliant but never cared enough to make myself do it, and would just pull the broken pieces apart and eat them price by price. Then maybe have a few spoonfuls of PB

SoaknWet
05-03-2018, 11:12
I HATE pop tarts!,,!! I use truck for a few years, one delivery was pop tarts. Backing into the dock the sun got in my mirror and caused me to hit the dock a little hard. Really upset the dock boss so he told me the load was a driver unload, than I made the mistake of correcting him! After a call to my dispatcher he informed me it was definitely a drive unload and to really make it worse a finger print unload, which means I had to touch EVERY box in that damn trailer! All 44,000# of pop tarts. To this day I still HATE them and knew just how many different favors they come in! So to end my post smash them crumble them whatever it takes to destroy them!

zelph
05-03-2018, 12:23
I HATE pop tarts!,,!! I use truck for a few years, one delivery was pop tarts. Backing into the dock the sun got in my mirror and caused me to hit the dock a little hard. Really upset the dock boss so he told me the load was a driver unload, than I made the mistake of correcting him! After a call to my dispatcher he informed me it was definitely a drive unload and to really make it worse a finger print unload, which means I had to touch EVERY box in that damn trailer! All 44,000# of pop tarts. To this day I still HATE them and knew just how many different favors they come in! So to end my post smash them crumble them whatever it takes to destroy them!

So you're the guy that busted up all those poptarts and made the entire AT disgruntled:D

connolm
05-03-2018, 16:05
I like the "in a bowl with milk - like cereal" idea but then I thought, I don't carry a bowl or milk.

But then I realized...

I have a toaks mug. And powdered milk would be easy to carry!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Kaptainkriz
05-03-2018, 17:52
Send them (all the unfrosted poPTarts) all my way - they are the only ones I'm not allergic to (I used to preferred frosted). :D

Now, that's disgusting!

That's like drinking decaffeinated coffee. Heck, heroine addicts may as well just start injecting saline solution as an excuse to poke needles in their arms.

What's the point?

What's the world coming to?