PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mountain Section questions

cjordan
02-14-2006, 11:36
I want to hike the AT in small increments (2 to 3 days at a time).
Starting at Amicola, I would like to end at a good starting point for the next year.
Any suggestions? I'm an avid marathon runner so I don't have a problem picking up the pace if needed to get to a good ending point (starting point for next time).

Thanks for the help.

Allen

txulrich
02-14-2006, 11:47
You shouldn't have too much trouble getting to Walisi-Yi in 3 days. It's the first major road crossing North of Springer. What time of year are you planning on starting your hike?

orangebug
02-14-2006, 11:49
So, you are on the 30 year plan for completing a section hike of the AT.

We don't really know what your hiking speed will be for sections, even as a marathon runner. North Georgia is surprisingly challenging with the PUDS - even Lance Armstrong was challenged by them.

I'd try to plan on Amicolola to Woody Gap in 2 days, or possibly Neel's Gap/Blood Mountain in 3 days for you initial attempt. Work out with a shuttler for a Woody Gap pick up, and be available to call from Neel's if it occurs.

Kerosene
02-14-2006, 11:57
From Amicalola it's about 36 miles to Neels Gap (US-19), which is an easy pick-up/drop-off point.

The following year you will be able to reach Dicks Creek Gap and the road to Hiawassee (GA-17).

Jaybird
02-14-2006, 12:02
I want to hike the AT in small increments (2 to 3 days at a time).Starting at Amicola, I would like to end at a good starting point for the next year.Any suggestions? I'm an avid marathon runner so I don't have a problem picking up the pace if needed to get to a good ending point (starting point for next time).Thanks for the help.Allen

Yo ALLEN:

as you can tell from my signature....i always jokingly tell folks..."i'm on the 20-year-plan"...for hiking the entire A.T.

but, like others have said...NEELS GAP (Walasi Yi Center) is just over 30 miles north of SPRINGER Mtn...& is easily obtainable in 3 days of hiking.

i started in 2002 @ Springer & am now up to PEARISBURG,VA where i will start & hopefully hike up to GLASGOW/BIG ISLAND, VA in 10 days with my hikin' bud: "Jigsaw" this April.

Good Luck with your hike.:D

cjordan
02-14-2006, 12:03
I plan to start this May 10.

cjordan
02-14-2006, 12:06
Should I park at Amicola and get a shuttle to bring me back or are there better options?

Thanks again.
Allen

hacksaw
02-15-2006, 14:04
Should I park at Amicola and get a shuttle to bring me back or are there better options?

Thanks again.
Allen
Allen,

Best option is to park at Amicalola, have your shuttler pick you up there and take you to your end(start) point and hike back to your car. This plan eliminates the need to arrive at preset times and avoids delays/wait times at the end of a hike.

AbeHikes
02-15-2006, 16:53
Allen,

Best option is to park at Amicalola, have your shuttler pick you up there and take you to your end(start) point and hike back to your car. This plan eliminates the need to arrive at preset times and avoids delays/wait times at the end of a hike.

That's what we did on our Woody to ASP.

orangebug
02-15-2006, 17:12
Another option is to park below Neel's Gap (Bryce parking lot?) and get a shuttler to take you to Springer or Amicolola. The best idea is to walk to your car, whatever direction you hike.

max patch
02-15-2006, 19:31
Of course another option is to do what I did the first time I hiked GA in sections about 30 years ago....hike all day, camp, turn around in the morning and hike back to my car. No worries about shuttles...

Skidsteer
02-15-2006, 19:46
Another option is to park below Neel's Gap (Bryce parking lot?) and get a shuttler to take you to Springer or Amicolola. The best idea is to walk to your car, whatever direction you hike.

Byron Reece parking lot. Half-mile north of Neel's Gap on State route 129.:)