PDA

View Full Version : Foothills Trail - Sections A10-A14

Pondjumpr
05-03-2018, 14:14
This past weekend, two buddies and I did about 23 miles on the Foothills trail in Oconee SC. Although I had been on the Chattooga River trail many times, this was the first time I had done the section over by Hwy 107. If you have not been on this trail, it is worth it. Section A11 is along the Beautiful and Scenic Chattooga River and, in my opinion, one of the prettiest rivers in all the Southeast.

This was my first multi-night trip in several years so it was good to be away from the truck and away from civilization for a few nights. We arrived a little later than expected on Friday evening and most of the camp sites around Burrell's Ford were taken. We ended up hiking about an hour or so after dark to find a nice spot by the river. Nothing like sleeping by a rushing river all night!

I plan on completing the entire trail this calendar year. This short trip helped to get the gear in order.

Here are a few pictures from the trip. I wish I had taken more.

cneill13
05-03-2018, 15:46
That is an awesome trail. I sectioned it in late-December and then finished in February. Over the total of 7 days, I only saw 5 people. I had the entire Burrell Ford campground to myself.

Thanks for the pictures.

Pondjumpr
05-04-2018, 10:05
This time of year, the crowds are heavy around Burrell's Ford. We had tons of foot traffic on the trail last weekend but it was for a good cause. There were dozens of hikers completing the Ultimate Hike on Saturday. They hike 28+ miles in one day to raise money towards finding a cure for children's cancer. That's quite a hike in one day but there were lots of folks out there. Big cheering sections and aid stations along the trail.

I am going to look into doing it in the Fall as they do it twice per year. It is definitely a good reason to see lots of folks out on the trail! I have no affiliation to the group but the link is here: http://www.curesearchevents.org/site/TR/CureSearchUltimateHike/TR/CureSearchUltimateHike/UltimateHike?fr_id=1541&pg=entry

Flsnowman
07-22-2018, 19:48
I plan to make it out there in oct. I'm sure it's going to be busy but I can't wait. I plan to do Bad Creek back to Oconee park. Just to test my legs and all I might do more after that not for sure. Was planning to head up to grandfather mountain and do a day hike or so there. I got a week of vacation to explore before I have to drive back home to Florida.

Dogwood
07-23-2018, 01:12
great pics.

"...Beautiful and Scenic Chattooga River and, in my opinion, one of the prettiest rivers in all the Southeast."

Not overly crowded either.

"Nothing like sleeping by a rushing river all night!"

Shared opinions.

Flsnowman
07-23-2018, 05:51
Was wondering do you guys recommend a shuttle driver?

Bianchi Veloce
07-24-2018, 05:27
King Creek Falls is an awesome place to cool down at. I used to take my three children there in the summers to play in the shallow pool at the base of the falls.

cneill13
07-24-2018, 08:07
Was wondering do you guys recommend a shuttle driver?

Jim Simpson 864-431-0447

Highly reliable. A true trail angel.

Dogwood
07-25-2018, 03:43
https://foothillstrail.org/shuttle-service/

Heyward Douglas

Last Call
07-25-2018, 12:32
I have used Taz twice, Highly recommended....864-431-0447

Flsnowman
07-25-2018, 18:02
thanks everyone I will write all these down. Also was wondering is there a lot of car camping places around here. After my hike I plan to car camp in a couple places before I head back

Last Call
07-26-2018, 14:27
thanks everyone I will write all these down. Also was wondering is there a lot of car camping places around here. After my hike I plan to car camp in a couple places before I head back

Table Rock & Oconee are both good campgrounds....

saltysack
07-30-2018, 12:00
Jim Simpson 864-431-0447

Highly reliable. A true trail angel.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pondjumpr
10-05-2018, 09:55
My goal is to complete the entire trail this calendar year. Next weekend, we will do A4-A8. Looks like just under 35 miles total. Starting late Friday, ending Sunday. Lots of elevation gain in section A4... You know it's bad when there are 150+ steps and another 250+ steps within a mile of each other. I have done A10-14 and later A8-10 this year already. Hoping to knock out all but the first 3 sections next weekend. That will leave Table Rock to Sassafras and Laurel Creek for a simple single overnight trip. I will post some pics and trail conditions in a couple weeks.

cneill13
10-05-2018, 10:13
The thing I most enjoyed about the FHT is how completely different each section of the trail is. The first section I did between Bad Creek to Oconee State Park had some challenging parts but was overall not too tough.

The second section I did from Bad Creek to Table Rock State Park was a killer. The hike up Heartbreak Hill which I had to do on a rainy February day absolutely wiped me out. It was frightening too as I was alone and there is zero phone reception on most of the trail. And I don't know why but the hike up Sassafras Mountain which is only 3,500 feet high was relentless.

But overall, I think the FHT is my favorite trail so far.