PDA

View Full Version : Maps

Blister
02-14-2006, 15:18
Perhaps I am over planning, blm, national geographic, forest service maps, maps maps. Talking with folks that have hiked in the last year or so - some have relied only on the Jonathan Ley maps, weight wise it sounds great. thoughts?????

Spirit Walker
02-14-2006, 16:53
We are carrying both Jonathan's maps and the NF maps, at least to start. We'll see which we end up carrying at the end. Reasons: Jonathan's maps show only a narrow corridor - if you end up following a different route, by choice or by accident, you'll be hiking blind. Having had to bail out on the CDT a couple of times (weather, accident) - I know I want as large a picture as possible. I remember a couple of journals where people mentioned being 'off the map'. Also, we are following some routes of our own devising - they are not on his maps. Since part of the attraction for me of the CDT is the chance to be creative, I'd rather invent my own route than simply follow someone else's. Also, his maps can be very hard to read. The route is clear, but some of the places are very hard for my eyes to see, when printed out. The other maps are better at showing alternate roads, trails, springs, etc. For us it's easier, since there are two of us to share the weight/bulk - even so, it may be that some of the maps will end up going home.

SunnyWalker
04-21-2010, 19:46
Blister: From what I have read it sounds like the CDT trail is still in transition. Large parts . . . aren't there? In other words, they might be on the map, but you won't find them on the ground. So... then to me the importance of map and compass. Well, Levy's maps look great, but I agree one needs something (emphasis on something) else cuz of the narrow focus of those maps. Just my thoughts. Take a good compass. Don't rely on GPS.

garlic08
04-21-2010, 20:04
Ley's maps and the appropriate pages out of the state DeLorme atlases. I also carried the text from Jim Wolf's books because I mostly liked his route suggestions, especially in NM.

ARambler
04-21-2010, 20:26
Navigating requires attention to detail. You should note, the original post is over 4 years old, and Blister long ago finished the trail.

I would say about half the hikers stay on the Lay routes and alternative routes. You should know how to do the Creede cutoff, the Colorado Trail alternative, trail to/from the Pinedale, WY trailhead, and possibly the super cutoff. I used the high water route around Togwotee Pass, past the Togwottee Inn without additional maps, but it was helpful to know the route ahead of time. The Macks Inn cutoff and Anaconda cutoff are on Ley's maps. My gps maps were all the backup I needed.

Rambler

SunnyWalker
05-12-2010, 22:51
ARambler: Undoubtedly wisdom will die with you.