PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Hike Threads

johnnyjohnson2043
05-08-2018, 15:26
I'm sure that there are a number of threads already somewhere out there but darned if I can find them. I must not be using the correct search terms. All I'm looking for are real number from real people about how much it cost them to hike. I know that the ATC says $1000 on average but I am certain that I've seen much lower numbers from people on this very forum. I even saw one website that mentioned something like $1.50 per mile which seems a little low to me but I'm sure that someone has done it. I'm hoping to hike for $500-750 per month. I am limiting my in town visits to supply runs only as much as possible which I definitely didn't do on my last hike. Any numbers from anyone out there would be helpful or if you know where to find a thread that already exists on this subject I'll take that, too. Thanks in advance!

johnnyjohnson2043
05-08-2018, 15:30
After I wrote this post I realized that $750 per month is about $1.50 per mile for 5 months if I'm doing my math right...So that's not as low as I thought it would be...

trailmercury
05-08-2018, 16:39
5x750=3750
Not enough, I would say minimum 5k. 7-8k to be pretty comfy and 10k for a cushy hike
if you have to wait another year to save, the trail isn't going anywhere
as always HYOH

MuddyWaters
05-08-2018, 16:52
$1000 / mo isnt bad number.

Yep, some can do it for $1500. Mooching, work for stay, hiker boxes, and be real thrifty.

Unfortunately that doesn't mean you can. If the only way to find out is to take that risk..... Is that what you want to do?

It's a vacation.

One of the top reasons people quit.... Is they ran out of money.

If you want to spend less money stay out of towns, hike faster.

Odd Man Out
05-08-2018, 19:25
Search hint. Use Google and search "Whiteblaze" plus what you're looking for. Many people report better luck searching with Google than the in-house search engine.

And doing a thru-hike budget per month makes sense. Faster hikes are cheaper. Also you have to compare apples to apples. Some people include gear in their budgets. Others may included gear replacement. Some may include transportation to/from the trail head. Others may only include money spent on supplies while hiking (food/fuel). Another reason it's a hard number to pin down.

MtDoraDave
05-09-2018, 06:42
Don't forget to "budget" into the cost of your hike any bills that need to be paid while you're hiking; like a mortgage, health insurance, or student loans.

MtDoraDave
05-09-2018, 06:45
^^^Assuming thru hike. ^^^

To go hiking for a week costs me about $500. Gas, shuttle, road food, hiking food, stove fuel.

Gambit McCrae
05-09-2018, 08:05
Haha Muddy beat me to it...Less money= hike faster. If you are not a drinker/ tobacco user that will help as well as what you do on your zero days. Another good tactic is to try and always have a hiking buddy on the trail. If you can split a hotel room/ shuttle/ resupply options 2-3 ways it will save money.

$750 a month = Apx 188 a week...Which I think is very doable while on the trail IF you do not have "At home expenses" to cover while hiking like car payment, rent, utilities etc

evyck da fleet
05-09-2018, 08:20
I’d suggest looking back at your old hikes and figuring out what you realistically would leave out if you did it again to determine your budget. Would you splurge in ten towns again or would it be two or three this time?

i could also make an argument for not having a hiking partner to slow you down. Hostels charge per person and hitching, if you can’t walk into town, is free. (although I always ask if I can offer something).

peakbagger
05-09-2018, 09:03
If you have never done a long distance hike, realize that most folks will get cravings for town food. Maybe you wont but many do and the businesses in trail towns have years of experience in tempting hikers to feed the craving. Its easy to drop a weeks worth of hiking costs in one afternoon in town. Spend a night like all the folks you may be hiking with and odds are you have spent more than the entire wood hiking.

LittleRock
05-09-2018, 10:50
The biggest expense for most LD hikers is taking a zero day/staying in town. You can minimize this by instead doing "nearo" days. Stop a few miles from town, walk in early to resupply, shower, do laundry, etc, then walk out and camp a few miles down the trail. It takes a lot more discipline to do it this way, but it will save some serious $$$.

HooKooDooKu
05-09-2018, 12:20
Based on the title of the thread, I thought this was going to be a discussion of how much you've paid for your hiking cloths.

full conditions
05-09-2018, 12:23
The impact of inflation is pretty staggering - I did my thru in 1976 for 830.00 - although to be fair, I had no debt or expenses at home to manage (high school student), I took very few zeros (four) and I was too young to drink.

Puddlefish
05-09-2018, 12:56
Pre-hike, I planned on about $1,000 per month over 5 months. I enjoy being in the woods, more than I enjoy being in towns.

In practice. The hiker hunger kicked in, and I initially managed to to buy better healthier foods at grocery stores, and get right back on the trail. Then it was a glorious multi breakfast meal at a Huddle House... and lots of food from grocery stores. Staying at a $10 a bunk hostel completely removed from civilization, spend $50 on frozen pizza, nuts, bars, pastries, microwave sandwiches, and breakfast treats. Yeah, I still loved the woods more than I loved towns, but the food was in the towns! Hiker hunger didn't actually trash my budget however, I pretty much planned for that in advance, and I wasn't surprised.

The real problem. Injuries. Twisted a knee, took a zero. Aggravated the knee, decide I should take a few zeros, hike less miles, let it heal... zeros are boring, get impatient and get back on the trail... and blow out the knee. Hike over. Pay big bucks for a shuttle to the nearest airport, pay big bucks for the flight home.

I never ran over my budget, but I had to get off the trail to avoid trashing my budget. Make your budget, whatever it is, but keep a reserve for emergencies to get yourself home from the most inconvenient part of the trail.

Odd Man Out
05-09-2018, 12:56
Don't forget to "budget" into the cost of your hike any bills that need to be paid while you're hiking; like a mortgage, health insurance, or student loans.

But then again, if you take into account the money you can save by canceling your car insurance, home internet and cable TV subscriptions, and add in the money you don't spend on gas and entertainment (that you would have spent if you weren't hiking), you might make a profit.

Runner2017
05-09-2018, 13:20
Last October staying at Davenport Gap shelter in the Smokies, I met three SOBO thru-hikers. One of them just graduated from college and attempted his thru-hike on a $1500 budget. All the way from Katahdin to the start of the Smokies had only cost him less than $700, he told me. He said he hadn't stayed in any hostels but had just taken showers there, and he hadn't indulged himself in towns, no visits to restaurants/bars. His supplies were mainly from mail-drop hiker-box, and dumpster-diving. He did spend some money to replace some gear tho.

MuddyWaters
05-09-2018, 14:37
But then again, if you take into account the money you can save by canceling your car insurance, home internet and cable TV subscriptions, and add in the money you don't spend on gas and entertainment (that you would have spent if you weren't hiking), you might make a profit.
Perhaps.....if you had no income at that time whilst incurring those expenses.

MuddyWaters
05-09-2018, 14:38
Last October staying at Davenport Gap shelter in the Smokies, I met three SOBO thru-hikers. One of them just graduated from college and attempted his thru-hike on a $1500 budget. All the way from Katahdin to the start of the Smokies had only cost him less than $700, he told me. He said he hadn't stayed in any hostels but had just taken showers there, and he hadn't indulged himself in towns, no visits to restaurants/bars. His supplies were mainly from mail-drop hiker-box, and dumpster-diving. He did spend some money to replace some gear tho.

Theres a fine line between between hiker and hobo.
Eating leftovers off strangers plates, and dumpster diving crosses that line.

Yeah, a ton of good food gets thrown away. Its shameful teallt.

randy.shopher
05-09-2018, 15:23
My general rule of thumb...take half as many clothes and twice the money as you think you will need.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

evyck da fleet
05-09-2018, 19:08
That brings up another point about the figures you hear. Often those ultra small budgets don’t count all the money they spend to buy and mail their drops. If I ignored my food cost I could make those claims too.

dumpster diving and using hostel services without paying cross a line for most hikers.

Mugthumper
05-09-2018, 19:17
I haven't hiked any of the trail north of NY, but I'm fairly certain that if utilizing mail drops, one could hike the trail for less than $1500 if they could hike it in less than 4 months. (total doesn't include cost of gear, travel, or injury) This doesn't require dumpster diving or being a hobo either. If you get in and get out of towns there just isn't anything to spend money on once you are back on trail.

Avoid zeroes. In towns, eat, resupply, recharge, shower and wash and get walking on out of there. This can be tough when others are trying to convince you to stay.

Avoid excessive alcohol. For me hiking causes me to lose the taste for it. I know this isn't the case for most anyone else.

Prepackage dehydrated meals made at home for mail drops at post offices that are close to the AT. This takes planning, a loved one to send you boxes, and the willingness to hike bigger miles when necessary to made a deadline. It also saves a ton of time shopping and repackaging. Muesli/Oats (not single serving packs) tortilla PB/squeeze jelly, TONS of cheese, quinoa, couscous, salmon packets, beans and rice (I'll never get sick of it), #10 cans of mountain house can be divided up into 4-5 servings, these occasionally drop to $12-13 a can, some like beef stew can be used as a good base to add other ingredients to. Bulk 48 boxes of snickers only cost $28, ship yourself 24 each resupply, way cheaper than Cliff bars or buying Snickers individually. So many ways to save money on food.

For on trail resupplies, when possible avoid gas stations and hitch to a town that has a walmart or grocery store for higher quality, less expensive food.

Plan for longer stretches between resupplies. When convenient, instead of resupplying every 3-4 days, plan to do so every 5-6 days. This helps cut out unnecessary town stops, reducing temptation to spend money.

Hike more hours each day. The less time the hike takes, the less it'll cost.

These are some of the biggest money savers that I've noticed in the time I've spent on trail. I'm convinced that it can be done for $1500 or less without being a mooch but it would take a lot of self control and discipline. For others that like to sample each town along the way I think it would cost quite a bit more and as others have stated a $1000 a month would be a good baseline.

Keep in mind you do occasionally have to Treat yo self.

MuddyWaters
05-10-2018, 04:37
Buying small portioned, individually wrapped foods, ziplocks, etc at resupply I spend $10-12/day on food. Minmum. Theres a waste factor too. Sharing among people cuts that down .

Do maildrops, you eat up $500 in postage alone so you can buy bulk. Eats up any savings.

Some have claimed to done it in recent years. I tend to think they had a whole lot of mooching and hiker boxes involved. You can do the math on calories , cost, and days on trail. Neglecting everything else it's hard to keep just trail food cost under $1,500 when a single 220 calorie Snickers bar runs a $1.25 with tax. Maybe $1.5 at a convenience store.

And you have to have copious town food to make up for the calorie deficit you run on trail food during the days on trail. It's not optional. I cant carry enough food for 20 mpd. On zero days glycogen stores have to be replenished, and fat added back. As much as possible. In a Nero, dinner breakfast and lunch before hitting Trail the next day, I'll spend at least $50 on those 3 meals and snacks. And that's one day a week on avg. I've spent $35 just on lunch before. Hamburger, fries, Shake, apple pie, tip.

nsherry61
05-10-2018, 09:29
And that's why I always buy the most expensive item I can find during any sale event with a percentage discount. That way I can save the most money. :-?

Cheyou
05-10-2018, 10:33
And have your gear dialed in , not needing new ,warmer , better fitting, lighter, gear. Some recommend shoes don’t last long and cost $100. A pair.

Thom

BuckeyeBill
05-10-2018, 23:17
The best advice I ever got was not to take any zeros unless medically necessary. If I hit town at 5:00 pm, I would find a place with a shower, do laundry and a place to crash for the night. Get something to eat. Wake up the next day get a good breakfast in me and buy resupplies. Then get back on the trail. This also works for mail drops at PO, as you don't have to rush to get to town before they close, unless it is a weekend. Hostels are not that expensive and most offer the amenities mentioned above. I am normally back on the trail by noon if not sooner, refreshed, clean and ready to move on.

Runner2017
05-11-2018, 13:52
dumpster diving and using hostel services without paying cross a line for most hikers.

You can just pay for hot shower (normally $5) or tenting ($10) in hostels. Another interesting thing is that at one dumpster in Hot Springs, they found a humongous piles of expired beer and wine thrown away by a liquor store that went out biz a year earlier tho.

trailmercury
05-11-2018, 14:13
Another interesting thing is that at one dumpster in Hot Springs, they found a humongous piles of expired beer and wine thrown away by a liquor store that went out biz a year earlier tho.

Sooooo maybe in Hot Springs they didn't have to pay to get drunk, but how does this really affect how much the overall hike would cost?
Yay, they saved 50 bucks in Hot Springs. Great! But they aren't gonna find a dumpster full of booze in every trail town.

Most folks consider a Thru hike a vacation.
Give yourself enough money so that anything extra you might desire along the way, you just simply buy/pay for it. no matter how frivolous.

Let's not encourage folks who truly can't afford it, to go on a thru-hike. The trail is already crowded in Thru-hiker season.

nsherry61
05-11-2018, 14:28
. . . . Let's not encourage folks who truly can't afford it, to go on a thru-hike. The trail is already crowded in Thru-hiker season.
That's rather judgmental, arrogant and elitist.

Everyone has a right to push their limits, and for some, that is pushing the lower limits of a workable budget.

Poor people have a right to seek adventure also!!!

Runner2017
05-11-2018, 15:00
Sooooo maybe in Hot Springs they didn't have to pay to get drunk, but how does this really affect how much the overall hike would cost?
Yay, they saved 50 bucks in Hot Springs. Great! But they aren't gonna find a dumpster full of booze in every trail town.

Most folks consider a Thru hike a vacation.
Give yourself enough money so that anything extra you might desire along the way, you just simply buy/pay for it. no matter how frivolous.

Let's not encourage folks who truly can't afford it, to go on a thru-hike. The trail is already crowded in Thru-hiker season.The motto is to hike your own trail.

For example, I've seen older thru-hike folks pampered by support teams all the way. A team normally consists of one or two vans that carry all the gear, hot food/snacks, cold drinks, folding chairs and etc for them. Vans will meet them at next road across so they just carry a very lightweight daypacks with some water and etc. And at the end of the day, vans will drive them to hotels in a nearby town. Is there anything wrong with this type of thru-hike?

There ain't just one orthodox way to do it.

trailmercury
05-11-2018, 15:12
The motto is to hike your own trail.

For example, I've seen older thru-hike folks pampered by support teams all the way. A team normally consists of one or two vans that carry all the gear, hot food/snacks, cold drinks, folding chairs and etc for them. Vans will meet them at next road across so they just carry a very lightweight daypacks with some water and etc. And at the end of the day, vans will drive them to hotels in a nearby town. Is there anything wrong with this type of thru-hike?

Absolutely not, they can afford it!
In order to HYOH you actually have to be hiking, I'm simply advocating for saving plenty of money for a thru-hike budget before getting out there.

These "how much does it cost" threads always drift into folks arguing like this, I can't believe I got suckered into it, not the OP's fault however!

Peace Folks, I'm ignoring myself from this thread!!!

johnnyjohnson2043
05-11-2018, 16:05
If it's worth anything, I absolutely don't plan on dumpster diving but to each his or her own. I want to try to avoid overdoing it in trail towns, however. I know that is easier said than done when there's a tempting buffet or an air conditioned hotel calling out your name but I'm going to try my best. If I succeed, great! I was able to not only meet my expectations but also discover what I truly can live without. If I don't succeed then it's not the end of the world. As for this being a vacation for me, it is not. I want to find my own limits. I want to push myself. I don't plan on beating the FKT but I'd like to see how far I can make it. The Appalachian Trail has been calling to me for a very long time. The first attempt I found out that I was carrying too much weight and hiking too fast for my body to handle so this time I'm cutting out a ton of "luxury" items and slowing down the pace a bit. We'll see how it goes. My feet are itching to get out from behind this desk and out onto the trail again. Thanks for all of the advice so far. I truly appreciate it.

BuckeyeBill
05-11-2018, 20:15
I am so glad I gave up drinking (11 years now) and smoking (3 years) all of which went either down the drain or up in smoke with nothing to show for it. If you do the math and realize how much you spend a year on either one or both, by quitting you just added more money to your Thru-Hiking fund.

BillyGr
05-12-2018, 12:35
It seems that, in this case, the "profit" is simply the difference.

In other words, if the cable, car insurance, internet, gas, entertainment that you paid at home cost $1,000 per month, but you can hike for a month and only spend $800 on hiking expenses, you've saved $200 and that is what is referred to as profit.

Not counting what (if any) money you aren't making while hiking by not having a "regular" job.

Perhaps.....if you had no income at that time whilst incurring those expenses.

Mugthumper
05-12-2018, 13:57
Buying small portioned, individually wrapped foods, ziplocks, etc at resupply I spend $10-12/day on food. Minmum. Theres a waste factor too. Sharing among people cuts that down .

Do maildrops, you eat up $500 in postage alone so you can buy bulk. Eats up any savings.
Some have claimed to done it in recent years. I tend to think they had a whole lot of mooching and hiker boxes involved. You can do the math on calories , cost, and days on trail. Neglecting everything else it's hard to keep just trail food cost under $1,500 when a single 220 calorie Snickers bar runs a $1.25 with tax. Maybe $1.5 at a convenience store.
And you have to have copious town food to make up for the calorie deficit you run on trail food during the days on trail. It's not optional. I cant carry enough food for 20 mpd. On zero days glycogen stores have to be replenished, and fat added back. As much as possible. In a Nero, dinner breakfast and lunch before hitting Trail the next day, I'll spend at least $50 on those 3 meals and snacks. And that's one day a week on avg. I've spent $35 just on lunch before. Hamburger, fries, Shake, apple pie, tip.

I did lot of calculating on this for a hike last year. Postage would run closer to $250-$300 using 13-16 large flat rate boxes each consisting of a 5-6 day food supply, which cost around $19 each. You would have to ideally cover somewhere between 100-120 miles of trail after a drop box resupply. At other times one would resupply on trail when you have access to a real grocery store. I'll admit I was carrying over 12 lbs of food leaving town after a resupply, but my base weight (11lbs) was low enough to offset that. Daily calories were consistently around 3,500-4,000. Daily cost of food including shipping was less than $10/day.

The cost of the food is where buying in bulk really makes it worth it. I don't necessarily advocate eating this many candy bars, but it helps me make my point. Snickers at bulk cost $.58/bar. Store bought Snickers on average $1.25-$1.50. That is a saving on average of $.80/bar. Multiply that by a 5-6 day resupply worth of 24 bars and it comes out to $19, which is exactly how much your shipping cost is in the first place. So only counting some snacks, and already at even. Everything after that is where the real savings start. Rolled oats, muesli, chia and NIDO are cheap when bought in bulk, same with rice, beans, couscous, Natures Valley bars, dried fruit/veg, almonds/walnuts, and even occasionally mountain house. Then their are things like batteries, ziplocks, leukotape, guidebook pages which I would want to send myself anyways.

When it comes to energy I think a lot of this depends on what hikers use for fuel. Lets face it, the eating habits of many hikers are complete garbage. I've come to the conclusion that pop tarts for breakfast and little debbies for snacks are the worst fuel ever. My body just doesn't run right when fueled that way for a weeks at a time. This doesn't mean I won't carry a family size bag of Doritos out of town, but it also doesn't mean snack crackers, pastries and ramen are the best idea for the bulk of ones calories either. Many get so caught up on their weight that they carry too little food and end up running such a deficit that gorging in town is a necessity to keep their heads above water. I think properly fueling the machine is more important than people realize.

Regarding glycogen stores. When you eat is almost as important as what you eat. The best thing one could do to keep their glycogen stores up is eat their largest meal at the end of the day. Personally I found that a good 1200+ calories right before bed is the way to go. This is where rice and beans and a big block of cheese comes in handy. A good balance of carbs/fat/protein before bed will do wonders for energy levels the next day. If the body is fueled correctly it will adapt to these sort of situations.

A $1500 budget would cut out how much one could eat in town, but hopefully that wouldn't be as big of a necessity. It isn't much but $25 could still be budgeted weekly for food in town. Fresh fruit, 1/2 gallon chocolate milk and a large pizza is maybe 4,000-5,000 calories and $25 well spent. Then the occasional buffets or fast food allow for a lot of calories for cheap. Showers and laundry are not a weekly necessity in my opinion as long as one practices good hygiene. It all stinks the next day anyway. A peri bottle makes an amazing backcountry shower. A bucket or cut off jug makes a good wash basin.

A 110 day hike could run approximately $1100 for trail food/postage @$10/day which leaves $25/week to spend on town food or whatever else. The cravings will be intense and it doesn't leave much room for error but it I don't doubt that it is possible. I also don't think it would be the most enjoyable hike giving up all the luxuries and forgoing town life, but I can see how some people do it. Anyone who claims they do it for less without being a total mooch, I'm calling BS.

I actually agree with your first post Muddy that 1k/month is reasonable for most. I just think there is credence in the claims of some who have done it for less. Smart food choices and being frugal make it possible, it just takes a good amount of planning.

BuckeyeBill
05-12-2018, 15:43
Just as a reminder, nacho Doritos can also be used as a fire starter.