PDA

View Full Version : Best lightweight ground cloth

PR Man
05-12-2018, 12:25
Any thoughts on a good lightweight ground cloth for a 2 person tarp?

reppans
05-12-2018, 14:41
I like 1.5mil Polycryo (window shrink wrap insulation) for weight, compactness, and waterproofness for tent footrprints, but I use Tyveck for sitting ground sheets since bugs/ticks are easy to spot against the pure white.

BuckeyeBill
05-12-2018, 15:22
I am hammock hanger, but I carry a piece of tyvek for me to walk on shoe-less under my tarp. It also works for a ground cloth in case I have to go to ground. Just remember to keep folding or rolling it so one side stays clean.

Hatchet_1697
05-12-2018, 17:31
I hang now but still use a small piece of Tyvek 43gsm 1443R Kitemaking Material. It’s lighter than regular Tyvek and works well for making a small clean area beneath my hammock to step on or keep gear clean/dry. It also worked well as a footprint under my Zpacks Altraplex tent. As did the Gossamer Gear footprint.

https://www.amazon.com/Kitemaking-Material-Durable-Lightweight-Breathable/dp/B00G28H9QW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1526160164&sr=8-2&keywords=tyvek+kite

https://www.gossamergear.com/products/polycryo-tent-footprint-ground-cloths

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The Snowman
05-12-2018, 17:37
I use a space blanket light weight, cheap and easy to find in local stores. If your careful it will last a few years.

Davem
06-09-2018, 23:53
I use tyvek and it works well but when it wears out I’m going to try polycro.

Maui Rhino
06-10-2018, 01:41
Several years ago, I started using 2mil painters plastic drop cloth from Home Depot. A 10x'12' is under $4. It's easy to cut to size, very durable, and lighter than tyvek.

randall_mcduberson
06-10-2018, 08:13
I also use Tyvek as a drop cloth under my hammock. I was fortunate enough that I some for free from a build site down the road and they were tossing out some odd shaped scraps and I was able to find a couple that worked for my girlfriend and I. Even if I had to purchase it, it isn't all that expensive. In the end, I imagine it comes down to how much you are willing to spend and how long you are willing to wait if you need a new one.

Rain Man
06-10-2018, 08:37
I have Tyvek, but it does lose its water-proofness AND really grabs onto all the pieces of leaves and twigs it touches. Switched to some super light-weight, strong clear plastic sheating (but alas can't remember name or source!).

Five Tango
06-10-2018, 18:26
A piece of reflectix insulation(the silver bubble wrap looking stuff on a/c ducts) makes a good lightweight insulator and forest crud does not stick to it.You won't damage it easily either.Makes a great insulator for feet if you use a 3/4 length underquilt on your hammock or you could "go to ground" on it.My polycryo ripped after two trips.

RockDoc
06-10-2018, 18:33
We actually stitched together tyvek running bibs from a few dozen running events. Has character!