PDA

View Full Version : Long Falls Dam Road parking

Road runner
05-13-2018, 10:39
Is there a spot to park at the trailhead on Long Falls Dam Road in Maine?

D2maine
05-13-2018, 11:33
Is there a spot to park at the trailhead on Long Falls Dam Road in Maine?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1iOKaunJ70fmPsO9VaO-nnGsZNV8&ll=45.12463210020448%2C-70.14296718359157&z=12

tdoczi
05-13-2018, 12:45
i forget which is which, but there are two road crossings very close to each other. one has a parking lot, one does not, but they are effectively the same place.

if you cant find parking for the one youre looking for just park at the other one. there probably less than 1000 feet apart.

tdoczi
05-13-2018, 14:30
correction- they are further apart than i remembered. about 2.5 miles.

the one with the parking lot is not long falls dam road.

the short answer then is no, there is no parking there.

http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=12%20&sectionID=103

scroll to mid page

peakbagger
05-13-2018, 19:27
I agree, much better parking options at East Flagstaff road.

BTW Keep in mind there is no good easy or short way to get to either Long Fall Dam road or East Flagstaff road. Shuttling from Caratunk or RT 27 is a couple of hour drive. There is seasonal road called the Carriage Road in Carrabassett village which can save a lot of time to get from Rt 27.

peakbagger
05-13-2018, 19:27
I agree, much better parking options at East Flagstaff road.

BTW Keep in mind there is no good easy or short way to get to either Long Fall Dam road or East Flagstaff road. Shuttling from Caratunk or RT 27 is a couple of hour drive. There is seasonal road called the Carriage Road in Carrabassett village which can save a lot of time to get from Rt 27.

tdoczi
05-13-2018, 19:52

i got shuttled from rt 4 to east flagstaff by a very nice girl who was helping out at the hostel in rangeley.... and had never made that drive before.

that was one of the more interesting shuttle rides ive had.

egilbe
05-13-2018, 21:29
Why Long Falls dam Rd? Why not the parking area on East Flagstaff rd.

tdoczi
05-13-2018, 21:52
Why Long Falls dam Rd? Why not the parking area on East Flagstaff rd.

totally just making this up out of thin air and theres maybe a 10% chance this is actually the case here, but wether it is or not i think its worthwhile advice.

a possible explanation is that on a previous hike the OP was dropped off on long falls dam road to begin a hike and now wants to end the next section there.

ive backed myself into that corner once or twice. it always pays to be thinking of the next hike when youre planning the current one.

but in the near term the best solution, and the one i always ended up with, was to suck it up and walk a few miles twice.

egilbe
05-14-2018, 06:32
I thought that section from East Flagstaff to long Falls Dam Rd was a pleasant hike. Nothing crazy for elevation gain. Just a nice walk in the woods. And, there is an outhouse at the parking area.

tdoczi
05-14-2018, 08:37
I thought that section from East Flagstaff to long Falls Dam Rd was a pleasant hike. Nothing crazy for elevation gain. Just a nice walk in the woods. And, there is an outhouse at the parking area.
how easy it is is probably what lead me to the crazy statement that they were just a 1000 feet or so apart. its really nothing.

peakbagger
05-14-2018, 10:44
The other option is park up at the Maine Huts and Trails Flagstaff Parking area and walk down the road or take the trail to the AT. The MHT Flagstaff Hut is hard to beat.

https://mainehuts.org/discover/trails/trail-maps