PDA

View Full Version : MSR Whisperlite + Instant Pot?

emerald
05-13-2018, 14:46
OK, so it's been forever since I posted. Today I have an idea I want to share with WhiteBlaze's DIY gearheads. Not the ultralight freaks, but the regular peeps who like to be prepared for whatever life throws at you.

So, here's my idea. How might one marry an MSR Whisperlite with an Instant Pot to keep on keeping on when the power fails or you move off-grid or want to spend a weekend in the field?

Has anyone already been thinking seriously about that concept? If not, who has ideas and what's possible? Surely I'm not the 1st person who has ever wished for a reliable, gas-fired pressure cooker that's as simple as an Instant Pot to use.

nsherry61
05-13-2018, 15:22
If you're looking for a pressure cooker, look here (https://www.amazon.com/Presto-6-Quart-Aluminum-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B00006ISG3/ref=sr_1_9?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1526239226&sr=1-9&keywords=pressure+cooker).
Or, if you're looking for light weight pressure cookers, look here (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/125918-Backpacking-with-Pressure-Cookers).

But then, for survival, I'm not sure why pressure cookers are needed?

emerald
05-13-2018, 16:47
No, I'm not looking for a pressure cooker or a light-weight pressure cooker. This thread is not about what I need or can do without because I'm trying to cut weight.

I am the kind of person who starts with an idea and seeks to build it. I am not the person looks online for whatever someone else has to offer and then settles.

Who loves both products, wants to best of both and refuses to settle for less? Let's talk about how to get there from here.

emerald
05-13-2018, 16:56
On a separate line of thought, it occurred to me my new ride has outlets and I could probably use my Instant Pot in the field without a generator or whenever my power at my home might fail. It's a rare event, but I have been without power for days. I must look into that.

nsherry61
05-13-2018, 18:57
No, I'm not looking for a pressure cooker or a light-weight pressure cooker. This thread is not about what I need or can do without because I'm trying to cut weight. . .

I'm sorry Emerald, you are not making any sense to me at all on this. An Instant Pot is a glorified pressure cooker with an internal heating system and some electronic brains. If you are trying to "marry an MSR Whisperlite with an Instant Pot" then, it sounds to me like you are trying to combine a gas stove and a pressure cooker. If what you are interested in is the electronic wizardry of of Instant Pot then you also need the electronic brains to control of the burner, which must then be electric, which means you are no longer trying to "marry an MSR Whisperlite with an Instant Pot" but rather build an Instant Pot that works off an alternative power source, which would NOT be a Whisperlite.

As you later suggest, your best bet is probably to just use your Instant Pot and find the alternative electric power supply of your choice. In which case, why the heck are you asking this question on a backpacking forum?