PDA

View Full Version : Lakeshore House/Monson

walkin' wally
02-14-2006, 18:42
This from an article in the Moosehead Messenger dated February 7th.

Jeff and Rebekah Santagata recently purchased the Lakeshore House in Monson.

" The previous owners were gracious enough to have left practically all the items that were here when they opened the site, which makes it that much easier to pick right up and run with things" the Santagatas mentioned.

The couple have the laundry area open 24 hours a day.... "We have plans of adding some industrial size washing machines for larger loads, such as those brought in by through hikers."

" We are also hoping to include some coin operated showers, and even a suggestion box to better meet everyone's needs"

The Lakeshore House has eight bedrooms and two baths for short and long term use by folks who wish to stay at the establishment.

Another goal of the Santagatas will be making their business more conducive to families, or anyone with youngsters.... Part of meeting that goal will be renting kayaks and canoes for anyone's use, as well as a no smoking/no pets rule in the house.

There is more info in the weekly Moosehead Messenger dated Feb 7th, 2006

Footslogger
02-14-2006, 18:46
Where exactly is the Lakeshore House located with respect to Shaw's.

'Slogger

Lone Wolf
02-14-2006, 18:50
Since when do "through-hikers" do large, industrial size loads of wash? Maybe 37 hikers combined.:)

walkin' wally
02-14-2006, 19:00
Hi Slogger,

The Lakeshore House is down the main street from the general store a few hundred feet southerly. Opposite direction of the Barbecue and Pie Lady's place. It is along the shore of the lake and says 'Laundromat' on a sign above the door.
In other words if you were coming from Shaws on Pleasant street to the general store, go around the corner and keep walking a little ways untill the lake is behind the buildings then look ahead a little on the right. It is before the curve and the hill.

Footslogger
02-14-2006, 19:03
Appreciate that WalkinWally. We might need to use the facility in July if no one buys Shaws. Heading up to hike Monson to Gorham.

Thanks again ....

'Slogger

khaynie
02-14-2006, 19:28
It's a great place to stay. However, when we were there last June, the temps were in the 80's F and it was hotter than blue blazes. Wonder if the new owners might install a A/C window unit? Or do people in Maine not believe in A/C?

walkin' wally
02-15-2006, 16:11
Since when do "through-hikers" do large, industrial size loads of wash? Maybe 37 hikers combined.:)

I was wondering that too.

rambunny
02-20-2006, 14:34
News Flash-it is a rumor at this point-but we think Shaw's has been bought and will be available to hikers. Check with the ALDHA companion update page for comfermation.

rickb
01-08-2007, 00:11
Very nice bar & restaraunt around back.

Everything was fresh and new and the food was excellent.

Not open Sunday yet-- pending alcohol permits. That might change.

On a side-note, I understand the Monson General Store, one block down, holds jam sessions on Saturday (?) nights.

grizzlyadam
01-08-2007, 00:37
the jam sessions are on friday nights at the monson general. i was fortunate enough to experience one of these nights a couple of years ago.

you can read about it here (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=84118).

DawnTreader
01-08-2007, 15:06
they were closed mondays also

TJ aka Teej
01-08-2007, 17:02
The new owners are the finest kind, real nice folks. One of the many new things to be offered in '07 will be a 4-person room overlooking the lake, and per person will be wicked cheap. Nice relations between Shaws and LSH, welcoming LSH guests to Buddy's 4x4 breakfasts.
Photo of the hootananny at the General:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12843&catid=member&imageuser=314
Tim the General Store owner, is in the white hat and mustache on the left.

HappyGoLucky
02-13-2007, 05:22
Stayed two nights there in September - fabulous place and highly recommended. Bekah really went out of her way for us.

warraghiyagey
02-14-2007, 05:08
Appreciate that WalkinWally. We might need to use the facility in July if no one buys Shaws. Heading up to hike Monson to Gorham.

Thanks again ....

'Slogger

ok, I know I've been busy and not paying attention but say it ain't so - I NEED Shaws after the wilderness.:)

TJ aka Teej
02-14-2007, 07:22
ok, I know I've been busy and not paying attention but say it ain't so - I NEED Shaws after the wilderness.:)
Shaws is open - the new owners are nice folks.

warraghiyagey
02-15-2007, 01:39
Shaws is open - the new owners are nice folks.

thanks, as always teej, that sound you can't hear is me breathing normally again. NOBOers have seen so many towns that they might not enjoy Monson from the perspective of the shangri-la that it is as the first town headed south after the wilderness. It's my favorite town on the trail.
Any further description of the new owners? Thanks.:) :)

onemore
06-06-2010, 17:00
This place is amazing. I'm actually sitting up in the living area right now. The food at the pub is great. Rebekah has been great with all of us. I HIGHLY recommend this place to anyone coming through Monson. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Their website is http://www.lakeshore-house.com

TJ aka Teej
06-06-2010, 17:04
This place is amazing. I'm actually sitting up in the living area right now. The food at the pub is great. Rebekah has been great with all of us. I HIGHLY recommend this place to anyone coming through Monson. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Their website is http://www.lakeshore-house.com

Nicest laundromat on the AT! :D Get off the web, get a cold one or two and head out back by the lake!

boarstone
06-06-2010, 19:25
Nicest laundromat on the AT! :D Get off the web, get a cold one or two and head out back by the lake!

I don't think so today...rain, rain, rain....and that means river/stream swelling....:eek:

wcgornto
06-06-2010, 19:45
I don't think so today...rain, rain, rain....and that means river/stream swelling....:eek:

It's June. It's Maine. Nothing new there.

kayak karl
06-06-2010, 19:55
Lakeshore House ...liqueur in the back, washer in front, sleep on top. nice place:D

Tinker
06-06-2010, 22:29
I stayed there in '08 before hiking the Wilderness. The owner had her son sleep in her room and gave me his for the night - poor kid! At least I was just sectioning the Wilderness and arrived all city-squeaky-clean so I left his room smelling reasonably fresh :D.
Nice place. Homey bar out back with a small dining room overlooking the lake (only a couple of tables have views). You can borrow a kayak (or could, at least) and paddle around the lake, and they had very good food. I went over to Shaw's for breakfast, and the ladies there shuttled me to the trail along with some other hikers. I had stayed at Shaw's back when Keith was alive - he's one legend I actually had the pleasure to meet (I also met Gene Espy at Trail Days in '08).

ragincajun
06-07-2010, 08:15
just stayed here 3 nights payed for 2 total 54 $ and did work for stay for 1 3 hours not bad, great lil bar free kayaks, very friendly as soon as you get in dour rebbekah(who is now sole owner from divorce) asks every hiker what they need now. had a coke right as i took off pack its popularity is growing alot because you can buy beer at store put in hiker fridge and drink in room as you watch some playoff basketball shaws i believe doesnt allow alchohol

warraghiyagey
06-07-2010, 08:20
Actually Shaw's does allow alcohol (for those of legal age), they have a full size fridge for hikers to use. . . they just don't do 'drunk' there - as it were - :p, they have a washer and dryer right there in the hiker lounge, great breakfasts, and will be internet ready in the next couple weeks. . . and the folks there are awesome. . . :sun:sun:sun

walkin' wally
06-07-2010, 19:35
In July or August I go to Shaws for breakfast,then I go maintain my section along Buck Hill and get back to Lakeshore house for lunch, then over to Tim's General Store on Friday evenings for an acoustic jam session or Sunday afternoon for the same thing at Lakeshore House.
Monson is a nice little town.

BigFoot2002
06-07-2010, 20:44
Work for stay for 13 hours? And I thought old Keith worked me hard.

Nice the hear the friday night jams are still on.

Lakeshore House
10-01-2012, 01:02
Hey, this is Rebekah, owner of the Lakeshore House in Monson. I just want to thank everyone for such a great hiker season; what a blast this summer was....Hikers are the best specimen of human kind that I have ever met, thanks for all that you are and all that you bring to the table!! Please come back and visit!!

Lakeshore House
10-01-2012, 01:05
Not 13, 3 hours, silly
Work for stay for 13 hours? And I thought old Keith worked me hard.

Nice the hear the friday night jams are still on.