PDA

View Full Version : Raven Rock

Crossup
05-14-2018, 11:21
Starting to plan a sobo thru Maryland and the first thing I see on Guthooks is Raven Rock shelter with log entrys up to a week ago yet it does not appear on the AT Interactive map on the ATC site...could that be due to the shelter not being directly on the AT? Anyway, just curious as its obviously a working shelter/camp area which is all that really matters to me.

Angle
05-14-2018, 11:55
Raven Rock shelter is at mile 1060.8 and is .1 of a mile to the west. Iceman

ldsailor
05-14-2018, 12:07
Raven Rock shelter shows on the Awol AT guide. According to Awol, it's only .1 of a mile off the trail. Is it possible the interactive map hasn't been updated? The Raven Rock shelter was built in 2010, which makes it one of the newer shelters.

Crossup
05-14-2018, 13:14
Was this your source?
https://tnlandforms.us/at/m.php?wpt=RavenRock If so do you have any idea of how often the info gets updates? I see its been about 4 months since the last update which is probably pretty good. Guthooks is showing the shelter is at 1059.8 which is what tipped me off to another source.

Raven Rock shelter is at mile 1060.8 and is .1 of a mile to the west. Iceman

Angle
05-14-2018, 15:23
Was this your source?
https://tnlandforms.us/at/m.php?wpt=RavenRock

If so do you have any idea of how often the info gets updates? I see its been about 4 months since the last update which is probably pretty good. Guthooks is showing the shelter is at 1059.8 which is what tipped me off to another source.

That is the mileage for this year. Source was AWOL's A.T. Guide for 2018.

Kaptainkriz
05-14-2018, 17:35
Indeed it is missing on the AT interactive map... The shelter exists and is well marked. Very nice shelter. It replaced the old Devil's Racecourse shelter which is at the site of the spring....and a bit further to the river of rocks. Vid from when I was there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0tWU3gVnfg

Starting to plan a sobo thru Maryland and the first thing I see on Guthooks is Raven Rock shelter with log entrys up to a week ago yet it does not appear on the AT Interactive map on the ATC site...could that be due to the shelter not being directly on the AT? Anyway, just curious as its obviously a working shelter/camp area which is all that really matters to me.

Crossup
05-14-2018, 18:40
Thanks John, nice video...without that I probably would have missed the Devils Racecourse.

Mikerfixit
05-15-2018, 08:45
I stayed there at the beginning of April. It was a nice shelter with several bear lines nearby. The privy doesn't have a door on it and the toilet hole lines up with the door. Also the door faces the direction of the breeze coming up the mountain. Pretty challenging to use when it is below freezing.

Its right off the trail.

genac
09-06-2019, 14:19
In the name of Better Nate Than Lever... indeed Raven Rock shelter is basically right on the trail. IMHO the ATC map is flawed. It doesn't show distance markers nor elevations for key points such as parking and shelters. What was the one with red dots for mileage milestones and blue dots for more granular distances? I can't find it. Thanks!