PDA

View Full Version : Section hiking Kettle Moraine South this weekend

Nanatuk
05-14-2018, 22:11
Man they make it difficult to spend a weekend on the trail! The trail shelters in KM are reserved, not per person but by groups. Not much chance of getting a spot in one. The two SF campgrounds that have walk-in sites don't allow you to reserve a site for less than two days. I finally got in touch with someone at the forest office that told me that starting Wednesday they will allow one day rentals, but good luck finding one. Each of the walk in sites at both campgrounds are reserved for both Fri and Sat. I'm going to spend Thursday night at the one of the walk-in sites and then Friday night at the Eagle Hostel. I have to get off the trail Saturday evening anyway so its going to work out this time.

I'm hoping to do 45 miles in three days and test my gear out. I've put in 250 miles since Feb 1st so feel the mileage isn't too much for my first overnighter of the year. I've got my pack down to 25 pounds with food and water, a little heavier than I'd like, but this first shakedown should reveal what is extraneous.

nsherry61
05-15-2018, 09:37
Yeah, the camping situation in Kettle Moraine is not at all conducive to backpacking!! Good luck with it. It looks like you've done about all you can do while still following the rules.

FWIW, it's quite easy to deal with in the depths of winter. ;-)

trailmercury
05-15-2018, 09:57
Kettle South:
Winter snowshoe backpacks are a treat here, having the shelter as a backup in case of heavy snow is nice.

A group of guys and I will be at Kettle North this weekend doing 20 miles over two days.
Doing most of the Greenbush and entire Parnell Segments of the Ice Age Trail.
I secured a res. for backcountry shelter 5 about a month ago. It was the only one left.
We are at a walk in site in Mauthe Lake Campgroud Saturday night after a planned 15 mile day from shelter 5. I did have to book this site for both Friday and Saturday. We will be leaving a vehicle there Friday night.
I'm excited as heck, the weather here in eastern Wisco has been fabulous.
I'll be testing a pair of Brooks Cascadia 12s.

In general I think South is more crowded as its the closest true backpacking trip to Chicago and Milwaukee.

Nanatuk
05-19-2018, 19:58
The Trip went well. Beautiful day Thursday and Friday rained Friday night and part of Saturday morning. I hiked from Delafield to Pinewoods campground day 1. Then to Horseriders camp day 2. A little more mileage than I had planned, but I got to shelter 2 and hostel at 12:30 so I pushed on. Got up early and finished my hike at Whitewater lake on Saturday morning. Total 44.5 miles in three days.

I'm foot sore, got a blister on the end of my second toe, but my back and knees all feel fine tonight.

double d
05-25-2018, 20:27
Great report Nanatuk!!! How were the black flies????

Nanatuk
05-26-2018, 18:29
Great report Nanatuk!!! How were the black flies????

It was a perfect weekend, no mosquito's and no blackflies. Think it will be June before they come out due to the cold April. We didn't have Ice-Out until the first week of May this year.

double d
06-04-2018, 06:31
It was a perfect weekend, no mosquito's and no blackflies. Think it will be June before they come out due to the cold April. We didn't have Ice-Out until the first week of May this year.
that is great to hear, thank you for the follow up report on the black flies. They are tough to deal with during the summer and early fall months (June-Late Sept.), but the hiking is great for the Northern Midwest when not dealing with the flies.