PDA

View Full Version : Fox creek to Damascus: need help planning mileage

LittleTrouper&Human
05-17-2018, 13:15
Hey guys,

Can anyone help me figure out my hike mileage, etc?

I am taking a shuttle up to fox creek early on day one. My plan than is too hike to wise shelter for a easier first day hike?

From there...its up in the air due to the Thomas knob shelter bear issues. I am not sure where to camp for the second day.

I do plan to hike out along the creeper trail in to damascus on the last day.

Also. I hammock camp.

Some help would be much appreciated!

Gambit McCrae
05-17-2018, 13:42
Wise for night 1 isn't a bad idea. It all depends on how much time you have and how far you want to walk in a day. For me this would be a 2.5 day walk, which would skip both night 1 and night 2 so its hard for others to give you advice without just blurting out what THEY would do.

Here is your trip (http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=ED&k2=DV&h=18787512&year=2018)

If you do not have a data book, the link above has all the shelter mileages. I personally would go from Fox Creek to Brier Ridge for night 1. Night 2 would be to Saunders shelter and then a quick day 3 into Dam

LittleTrouper&Human
05-17-2018, 14:33
Hey Hey.
I am sorry! I completely forgot to list my days available. I am driving down sat, hiking Sunday-Monday-Tuesday- With Wednesday being my return to Damascus day.

Or, 3.5. Would not mind being able to relax one night for the long drive home.

Riocielo
05-19-2018, 23:27
We did this same section the first of this month. It took us two and a half days, starting about 1pm the first day.

We stopped at Wise Shelter the first night, too. We camped at the campsite right before Whitetop road the second night.

If you join the Creeper at Laurel Creek bridge (which is AT mile 484, and VCT trestle 38, I think) you will have an easy downhill walk to Damascus of about 10 miles or so. There is abundant water and campsites on the VCT.

The burgers at the Creeper Trail Cafe in Taylor’s Valley are great! So is the ice cream.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk