PDA

View Full Version : the last supper

mweinstone
02-14-2006, 23:53
what will your goodby meal be on the night you eat off the trail for the last time as you begin your thru hike?mine will be the standard deathrow innmate food.large steak and potatoe.their wont be room for any silly dessert.just filler up with steak till i burst.gross.but great.you?

Jack Tarlin
02-14-2006, 23:58
This is quite possibly the first time I'm in entire agreement with one of your posts.

Baltimore Jack's last meal:

*Double Jeam Beam straight up
*Double shrimp cocktail or Mushrooms with scallop stuffing
*Caesar salad
*Large cut Prime Rib, medium rare
*Baked potato, butter, sour cream
*Either creamed spinach, peas, or asparagus
*Lots of A-1
*Cheesecake and Cognac for desert

Guaranteed to make one die happy.

khaynie
02-15-2006, 00:05
Two El buro De la Roquetta's w/ pork - beans on the side; washed down with 1/4 gallon of margartia's and one negro modello. Guranteed to push your cholestorol and blood pressure over the top. That's what I had before I left last year from Katahadin. Got me all the way to Springer.

Jack Tarlin
02-15-2006, 00:12
Hmmm.....is it merely a coincidence that people have trouble spelling their favorite adult beverages, or is it something more sinister?

For example, I think Khaynie means to say "Margaritas" and "Negra Modello"

And for that matter, one would think that at this point in time, I'd spell "Jim Beam" correctly.

Ah, well, it's been a long day. At least I got the menu right.

Cuffs
02-15-2006, 00:13
what will your goodby meal be on the night you eat off the trail for the last time as you begin your thru hike?mine will be the standard deathrow innmate food.large steak and potatoe.their wont be room for any silly dessert.just filler up with steak till i burst.gross.but great.you?

Oddly enough... yours is not the typical "last meal request"
http://www.thememoryhole.org/deaths/texas-final-meals.htm

Jack Tarlin
02-15-2006, 00:14
Dammit, it's "Negra Modelo" beer, not "Modello."

Try one of these and you'll never go near a Corona ever again.

khaynie
02-15-2006, 00:15
Hmmm.....is it merely a coincidence that people have trouble spelling their favorite adult beverages, or is it something more sinister?

For example, I think Khaynie means to say "Margaritas" and "Negra Modello"

And for that matter, one would think that at this point in time, I'd spell "Jim Beam" correctly.

Ah, well, it's been a long day. At least I got the menu right.

You're right. You hit the nail on the head. It's been a long day.

freefall
02-15-2006, 03:35
instant oatmeal and ramen!:jump

Heater
02-15-2006, 03:48

Negra Modelo and Bohemia are my two favorite south of the border beers.
You should try a Bohemia if you get the chance.

Peaks
02-15-2006, 08:39
I took the train to Gainsville, and then cab out to Amicolola Falls. I certainly don't recall seeing anything like that the prior posts on Amtrak's menu.

khaynie
02-15-2006, 10:04
Negra Modelo and Bohemia are my two favorite south of the border beers.
You should try a Bohemia if you get the chance.

Negra Modelo is one my favorite brews. I'll pick up a few bottles of Bohemia the next time I'm out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Almost There
02-15-2006, 10:26
...And the privies cry as they see you headed their way the first day on the trail!!!:jump

Cheesewhiz
02-15-2006, 10:35
Here's to the Negra Modelo, I hear ya on the Privies a cryin' deal though

Brock
02-15-2006, 13:20
I had a nice dinner with my parents of ribs and chicken from a place in Cincinnati called Montgomery Inn (the boat house one). They have some of the best ribs anywhere as I'm sure Doctari will vouch for.
http://www.montgomeryinn.com/

mweinstone
02-15-2006, 17:21
dont forget to starve first then eat.whats with the raman and oats?

The Solemates
02-15-2006, 17:37
we had the AYCE breakfast bar at amicalola lodge.

hustler
02-15-2006, 17:49
you should be a sport and have tuna and lipton

Tinker
02-15-2006, 18:07
we had the AYCE breakfast bar at amicalola lodge.

Sounds like a winner. I'll be there Tue March 7 to start with Frosty. I'm just doing Georgia. He's trying for a thru.

What's the charge for the Amicola AYCE b'fast?

Nokia
02-15-2006, 19:15
Sounds like a winner. I'll be there Tue March 7 to start with Frosty. I'm just doing Georgia. He's trying for a thru.

What's the charge for the Amicola AYCE b'fast?

It's like 7 or 8 dollars. Pretty good if you get there early.

digger51
02-15-2006, 19:35
Last supper? I think maybe bread and wine with about a dozen of my closest freinds.

mweinstone
02-15-2006, 20:17
what do you mean?that friends will be missed so much more than food?i like your answer.im givin back the steak now.ill have the potatoe with my son and have a hug for dessert.ill admit im gonna cry at some point in my thru. itll be about missing max,my son. or itll be about my own mistakes ive made in life. i belive i will find my way on the path of life and oneday find streangth from my troubles.

freefall
02-15-2006, 20:48
dont forget to starve first then eat.whats with the raman and oats?

I love trail food!!!:banana

digger51
02-16-2006, 00:55
MW...that was my lame attempt at humor. Reference to the original last supper. That joke obviously fell flatter than my ex wifes chest.

lonehiker
02-16-2006, 11:15
This is quite possibly the first time I'm in entire agreement with one of your posts.

*Caesar salad
*Lots of A-1

Hey Tarlin, if you ate a better cut of meat you wouldn't need all of that A-1 sauce.

Almost There
02-16-2006, 12:30
I just noticed that...Jack, you have to be the first person I know that would put A-1 on Prime Rib.

Jack Tarlin
02-16-2006, 14:38
I put A-1 on scrambled eggs!

DavidNH
02-16-2006, 15:16
I put on BBQ sauce myself! on steak, on hamburger sometimes even on chicken!

David

Almost There
02-16-2006, 15:19
Jack...You must have arteries of solid rock!!!

lilmountaingirl
02-21-2006, 11:56
I'm going on a sushi binge the night before we leave for GA. Complete with mai tai's and fried cheesecake for dessert. Yup...that's what I'm going to have... :)

neo
02-21-2006, 13:15

*Caesar salad
*Lots of A-1

are ya gonna supper size it lol jack:cool: neo

Wonder
02-22-2006, 12:14
THe full 3 courses at the Melting Pot (fondue restaurant) Cheese and beer fondue with lots of apples and pumpernickel...salad with ginger dressing..then the filet and veggie platter finished with the bailys dark chocolate fondue. Wash it all down with a bottle of Jacobs Creek 00' chardanay.........MMMMmmmm

Red Hat
03-02-2006, 13:09
For those of us who stayed at the Hiker's Hostel in Dahlonega, GA last year, our last supper was italian food in town. It was wonderful! Some of us had pizza, some spaghetti, some lasagna, but it was all good. Of course there were a few beers too.

irritable_badger
03-02-2006, 14:44

Even try one with a lime? (The Modelo not Corona) Try it it's fantastic!

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2006, 14:47
Had my last night out in Hanover for awhile. For those of you who keep track of such things, Five-Olde Nugget Alley serves a mean 12 oz. rib-eye.

Sometime in mid-August, I expect to oreder another.

irritable_badger
03-02-2006, 14:50
One of my friend is throwing me a good luck party the day before I hit the trail. BBQ ribs, homemade whole-wheat rolls, a few bottles of Bruichladdich, a case of cheap Australian wine, and a keg of beer for the non scotch/wine people. My first day on the trail is going to be rough, but memorable.

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2006, 15:07
Funny you should mention the fine folks at Bruichladdich, as they were just in the news. Seems they've revived a centuries-old tradition and intend to distill the world's most lethal restorative beverage, a 185-proof single malt.

In 12 years or so, this could get interesting. Jester and I may have to investigate further. A trip to the Highlands might be in order in 2018!

for details, see http://www.sundayherald.com/54275

More even more details, Google "Bruichladdich quadruple"

irritable_badger
03-02-2006, 15:48
Funny you should mention the fine folks at Bruichladdich, as they were just in the news. Seems they've revived a centuries-old tradition and intend to distill the world's most lethal restorative beverage, a 185-proof single malt.

In 12 years or so, this could get interesting. Jester and I may have to investigate further. A trip to the Highlands might be in order in 2018!

for details, see http://www.sundayherald.com/54275

More even more details, Google "Bruichladdich quadruple"

Good Lord! I'd be really curious to try it. Even more reason to visit Islay. Wonder what it will taste like (other than jet fuel) They've got several bottles only available at the distillery that I'd like to get my hands on. Guess I need to add this one to the list. I should have enough money saved up to make the trip worthwhile right about the time the usquebaugh is ready...

Wonder what the hiking is like over there? I see the foundation of a plan here...A hiking tour of the Islay distilleries:

Laphroaig
Lagavulin
Ardbeg
Caol lla
Bunnahabbain
Bruichladdich
Bowmore
Port Ellen

If a person were to focus on the hiking aspects of the trip and make the distilleries "blue blaze" trips it could be much easier to justify.