PDA

View Full Version : Overweight and cant get off the ground

gonegonzo
05-18-2018, 11:40
My dream was to hike the AT after retiring . So I've been retired for 6 years and still haven't even hiked a section of the AT . I'm 68 years old . My problem is I'm overweight (100 pounds ) and cant seem to get the weight off . I hike local trails here in eastern Ohio but nothing works . I also swim everyday for 1 hr . . When day hiking after about and hour my hips start to hurt as does a shin splint feeling in my shins . I'm blaming the weight for all of this . Does anyone have any suggestions . I've been to the doctor and he prescribes cutting back on food intake and exercise which I am doing . Help get me out there .

Thanks ,
Gonzo

Tennessee Viking
05-18-2018, 11:59
Eat consistent times
Limit skipping meals
Increase water intake
Limit carbs
Limit high sodium foods
Plan small snacks through out the day
Cut out sugary drinks and Limit diet drink
Vitamin B

swisscross
05-18-2018, 12:06
Exercise is great but weight loss comes from the kitchen.
Do you drink alchohol? Extremely hard to lose weight if so.

Crossup
05-18-2018, 12:39
The thing about getting old is everything works against you. I'm not a doctor but at some point common sense has to be applied. Nearly everyone will tell you NOT to fast. However if you watch Naked and Afraid and back in the day, Biggest Loser it becomes pretty obvious(scripted or not the subjects do loose weigh) the only way to get weight off quickly is a drastic cut in caloric intake and still maintain some moderate level of activity.
I think IF you make sure what you DO eat provides the basic nutrients to prevent vitamin deficiencies, maintain somewhat of an electroylte balance etc you can "survive" a period of fasting/very low intake without much real damage. THIS ASSUMES you do NOT have any significant health issues...which at 100lbs overweight is pretty unlikely, however thats for you to know. I DO NOT recommend that path but mention it to drive home the point that weight loss for seniors can be difficult.

BY far the best way is to just make the commitment to cut your daily intake significantly below what your target weight would dictate as proper to maintain your target...and trust me at our age that is a rather disappointingly small amount of food. Its hard to do because you will NOT see results in any kind of time frame that will act to motivate you, however for many slow and steady is easier to maintain vs dealing with hunger pains, head aches etc for months. The side benefit is you can keep up a higher level of activity since you will have some calories to burn which can help speed the process and hopefully as you get lighter, have less of those joint issues.

I would add to the list provided by Tn Viking to eat your meals early in the day....there is mounting evidence that eating past 4-5pm results in more weight retention of what you do eat and to me it just makes sense that it would. I think this goes double for seniors, I think part of getting old is a natural tendency to fatten up(makes sense to me as a survival hedge against illness) beyond the obvious factors of lower activity, less muscle mass to burn calories, slower metabolism etc....as I said, everything works against making weight loss easy for seniors.

I'm a perfect example, weighted 130 odd pounds for nearly 50 years then in my early sixties after a lifetime of being unable to gain any significant weight despite eating like 2 horses, BOOM I gained 30+ pounds without trying, in fact I'm still trying to find that happy medium between not starving and not gaining weight.

illabelle
05-18-2018, 13:01
I've hiked over 1800 miles of the AT and I've lost several pounds ... over and over again. I really thought that by now I'd be a slim trim hard-muscled thing, the envy of all the couch potatoes. Instead, I hover on the overweight/obese line, and I envy others. Disappointing though that is, I've still hiked over 1800 miles, a pretty impressive total if you ask me!

I strongly encourage you to just pack your gear and get Out There. Who cares if you walk slower? Who cares if the slim trim crowd passes you by? Who cares if you huff and puff up the hills? At 68 years old, I'm sure you're fully aware that time is your enemy. Most people find that fitness comes as they hike.

Get away from the house and especially the kitchen. Plan yourself a low-mileage hike on terrain that you can handle. Before your body starts hurting, rest a while. Bring a book to read or whatever you need to pass the time. Get up and do it again. Build the strength and endurance outdoors. Even if you never complete the trail, and even if you never lose the weight, it beats staying home for six years.

goatee
05-18-2018, 13:45
Gonegonzo all the advice so far is good stuff and Illabelle you are spot on. I'm the same age as the OP and section hiking for 5 years and realized during my first section hike of 30 miles that I loved it but my body said hell no.The next year I lost weight by doing what everyone has said and no it's not easy but hard work pays off and I just keep doing it.I haven't made it as far as some but further then others.Starting at Damascus this year NOBO. Good luck and don't quit on a bad day.

Just Bill
05-18-2018, 14:40
My dream was to hike the AT after retiring . So I've been retired for 6 years and still haven't even hiked a section of the AT . I'm 68 years old . My problem is I'm overweight (100 pounds ) and cant seem to get the weight off . I hike local trails here in eastern Ohio but nothing works . I also swim everyday for 1 hr . . When day hiking after about and hour my hips start to hurt as does a shin splint feeling in my shins . I'm blaming the weight for all of this . Does anyone have any suggestions . I've been to the doctor and he prescribes cutting back on food intake and exercise which I am doing . Help get me out there .

Thanks ,
Gonzo
Hike the Buckeye Trail.
Section hike it if you need to.

You're retired, clock is ticking.

Get a hammock- for breaks. Hike an hour or mile or whatever you can handle- then get off your feet for a break or even a nap.
Repeat.

Do a 5, 10 or 15 mile section. Whatever.

Dreams are nice, but reality is until you can put a few days on the trail in a row together the AT will remain a dream.

Sounds like yer stuck in a rut. I suck at working out too. I go to the gym then eat or drink it away fer being a good boy.
Being on the actual trail, day after day works best for me.

If nothing else... decent way to find out if this is something you really want. There are plenty of section of the buckeye just as pretty as sections of the AT... backpacking is backpacking. Nothing magical about the AT that will melt the pounds away or lure you on for days at a time.

You probably missed this season at a slow pace on the AT (mostly).
So why not spend the next month or two building yourself up to doing a month section on the buckeye... with the carrot on your stick that you will reward yourself with a week on the AT in late summer or fall.
The train from chicago to DC goes right to harpers ferry. And september to early november are all very great times to do sections in either direction out of harpers.

Like sweet miss 'illabelle said; don't worry about what the scale says- worry about what the trail says. Warren Doyle is not exactly what one would call fit but covered more AT miles than anyone... simply by walking.

PS- go to a real shoe store, get fitted for shoes. While you are there, check out compression sleeves.

Puddlefish
05-18-2018, 16:32
I was overweight for a decade or so. Some specific things that worked for me included:
- No fast food, or pizza delivery ever.
- Cook for yourself, from scratch. If you have to get up, make the dough, make the sauce, assemble the pizza, then you've earned it. You're more likely to put veggies on it as well. Sure beats tossing a frozen pizza in the oven because you're peckish and a little bored.
- Learn about food in general. Not to the extent of superfoods and specific compounds in foods that some study said are probably good for you... just the basics. Stuff like, whole grains are better than processed grains. Then beware about store bought whole grain breads, because the scumbags put extra sugar and fat into them to make them taste better. Learn to bake, and control the ingredients. Replace potatoes with short grain brown rice. Eat a little less meat, eat healthier meats. Replace some of the meat with mushrooms, or even vegetable protiens. Ground turkey instead of beef. Eat soups, that you've made. Filling and tasty.
- Plan your menu in advance. Shop for what you need to make the meals.
- Swimming is awesome, keep that up. Able to get a bike? Those are fairly low stress.
- Don't get down on yourself if you cheat a little bit. Just make the better choice next time.
- Don't use the word "diet," it sounds like a punishment. Just make choices that make you healthier. Don't use weight loss as your sole indicator. Measure small accomplishments instead, like you were able to swim an extra lap, or stand up from the couch without grunting, or able to breath easier.
- Make it a way of life, not a short term goal. Don't get overly excited if you drop 20 pounds fast. I was able to drop 20 pounds in a month simply by cutting out delivery pizza. But, you'll never sustain that kind of weight loss. It's more sustainable to lose 20, then 10, then 5, then a whole bunch of ones and twos per month. Lose it fast, and you risk it coming back fast.
- Oh, eat human sized portions. Two slices of pizza are enough for a meal. The other 3/4 can be frozen, in single portions. Have a nice salad, without dressing. Strangely enough, vegetables are kind of tasty all by themselves.
- Stay away from the TV and computer.
- Buy a pair of 5 pound weights, look up exercise videos for older people. Turn down the volume, and play your own favorite music, or try something new and upbeat that will get you moving. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6-TWRn0k4I)

Crossup
05-18-2018, 16:41
Indeed, just do it- at first at whatever scale you can manage, you already know just jumping on the trail is not YOUR answer yet. Perhaps your issue with shin splints and back pain can be mitigated with changing the actual hiking...for example carrying 25-35lbs might pull you more erect and change your hip angle/muscles used. Same with hiking poles but in the other direction...and maybe they will help with the shins. If you are limited to 90 minutes, then use that to try to find a solution that will lead to longer outings.

The first person I ever saw actually hiking the AT that was not some kid day hiker was a huge(and old)guy with a beer belly worthy of a Guiness record, chugging up an endless hill in 90* humidity.I'm quite sure he was 100 lbs overweight. I fully believe a lot of people hike the AT(at least sections) who are NOT truly fit or in good shape, they just do it at what ever pace they can manage, you need to find out how to get to where you can hike longer- given your current regimen one would assume your cardio health is up to the task.

TexasBob
05-18-2018, 18:36
- Don't get down on yourself if you cheat a little bit. Just make the better choice next time.
- Don't use the word "diet," it sounds like a punishment. Just make choices that make you healthier. Don't use weight loss as your sole indicator. Measure small accomplishments instead, like you were able to swim an extra lap, or stand up from the couch without grunting, or able to breath easier.
- Make it a way of life, not a short term goal. Don't get overly excited if you drop 20 pounds fast. I was able to drop 20 pounds in a month simply by cutting out delivery pizza. But, you'll never sustain that kind of weight loss. It's more sustainable to lose 20, then 10, then 5, then a whole bunch of ones and twos per month. Lose it fast, and you risk it coming back fast.
- Oh, eat human sized portions. Two slices of pizza are enough for a meal. The other 3/4 can be frozen, in single portions. Have a nice salad, without dressing. Strangely enough, vegetables are kind of tasty all by themselves.

This is good advice. The best diet you can go on is to eat what you like but learn portion control then you can control your weight for your life time. You will feel deprived if you never get to eat X,Y or Z which are your favorite foods. One day you will give into your cravings, go off your diet, feel guilty and end up gaining back the weight. Instead learn how much X,Y or Z fits into a reasonable calorie intake for the day. With a little self control you will end up with a livable life long weight control strategy.

BuckeyeBill
05-18-2018, 20:06
My Doctors have told me when I was over weight to eat smaller amounts 5 times a day instead of three full meals per day. You can also have a small but healthy evening snack.

jackwagon
05-18-2018, 21:24
I've also found the MyFitnessPal app that's available on PC, Mac, phones, and tablets to be helpful. You sign up, enter your current data, then enter the food you eat at each meal and snacks, and add exercise that you do. Having the daily feedback of being over/under your target calories can be helpful. Also, you can see what foods and portions work within the constraints you have.

The app is part of the UnderArmor family of apps including MapMyWalk, MapMyRun, MapMyRide and others that use your phone to track your activity while you're doing it, and sync it with the MyFitnessPal exercise input, so you don't have to enter those manually. If you do exercise that's not automatically tracked, like stationary bike, then you can enter it manually into MyFitnessPal.

blw2
05-18-2018, 21:51
jackwagon beat me to it. I was going to suggest the myfitnesspal app too. Website version too, if you don't have smartphone. It's really great, you can scan the barcode of most any food and it knows the serving size and nutrition info. For things without a barcode they have a very extensive database to pull from.
Enter your weight and your goals and it adjusts....as you loose weight you need fewer calories

I hate the idea of counting calories, and I believe that nutrition is a balance with lots of other variables
but
as an engineer I look at it as a basic thermodymics system.
energy in = energy out
if it's not equal then something is going up or down......

Anyway, that app help helped to train my brain to what a real serving size is..... well I'm still struggling with it but at least now I have an idea.

My best example was my breakfast
I had been eating "healthy" cereal for years, thinking I was doing good. I'd have what I thought was a normal cereal bowl sized serving. Once in a while I'd have another half bowl or so....
well..... I looked at the serving size and calorie info on the side of the box..... well ONE of my bowls was like 2-1/2 servings!

A sedentary person just really does not need all that much food.

One other thing...a highly active person doesn't either, if they focus on only good calories. My brother in law is a serious iron man / marathon/100 mile bike ride kind of crazy fitness buff. Always going big miles. I was shocked once I started noticing how little food he typically eats.

The only other thing I've got is this.... when you feel the need for a snack, drink a glass of water instead. It really does help.

Slow Trek
05-19-2018, 00:11
If you hike one mile on the AT,that is more than probably 99% of the world's population ever will. Just go at your pace. It is worth it.

gonegonzo
05-19-2018, 01:29
Thank all of you for your input . Every reply seemed to have some good sound advice that is void in my present lifestyle . The encouragement to get out there and do what I can do struck home but I will make sure I'm fitted with the proper fitting footwear . Also maybe a full pack instead of a day pack/lunch pack is the way to go and as mentioned , enough weight to benefit my posture .

Again , thank all of you for your input and believe me that it didn't fall on deaf ears .

Gonzo

gonegonzo
05-19-2018, 01:30
I am a non drinker .

Runner2017
05-19-2018, 09:47

Thanks ,
GonzoCheckout YouTube Dr. McDougall, and Dr. Michael Greger

Runner2017
05-19-2018, 09:50

Thanks ,
GonzoAlso you can read Dr. McDougall's book: The Starch Solution.

Crossup
05-19-2018, 10:26
Just remember the definition of ...... is trying the same thing over and over expecting a different result. So if you aren't making progress, change your program, others have suceeded, so can you. Trust me, whatever it takes will be worth it, 68 is still young enough to have another entire life of experiences and a big part of that is being health and fit.

ldsailor
05-19-2018, 11:47
I do long section hikes (LASH in hiker parlance). I'm not overweight by any means. Nevertheless, within three to four weeks of hiking, I lose 10 to 15 pounds. It tends to be a problem, but that's me. One thing I have seen on the trail is there are no overweight long distance hikers out there. I would suggest, if your doctor concurs, get on the trail and go 500 miles or more. You don't have to do 20 miles a day. Do what you can. I was doing 6 or 7 miles per day when I first started and still do occasionally.

Oh, and I did my first LASH after I retired in 2016. I hope to finish the trail this year.

greensleep
05-19-2018, 11:59

Thanks ,
Gonzo
I know what I'm about to suggest might seem radical, but have you considered bariatric procedures? Having been in the healthcare industry for 30 years, I've seen a lot of lives changed by these; most for the better, some not. There's always risk involved with medical intervention. If your life has become a trial of moving from one health crisis to another due to obesity and less invasive strategies haven't worked, maybe look into it. Just a thought.

Leo L.
05-19-2018, 12:17
I'm far from overweight, but due to a serious illness and the medical treatment of (which was successful), I've got a nice round belly that contains several extra kilos.
Now trying to lose those extras is really hard. I'm not strong enough to do longer hikes and have fun doing it.

The secret behind losing weight is simple: Less input than output, over longer period of time.
Output can be anything that needs calories: Hiking, any kind of exercises, simply being outdoors. Its as simple as "keep on moving" - the whole day.
Input can be tricky, as humans tend to ly to themselfs.
But again, there are some typical and simple solutions: Skip all sugar, lower alcohol input, lower calories input in general.
Its more easy if you stay away from the kitchen.

And both parts, lower input plus higher output, one can more easy achieve if out for hiking. Going stoveless makes it even better.

(OK, and now I'm off for dinner <G>)

Odd Man Out
05-19-2018, 12:33
I'm 60 YO and a bit overweight (should probably loose 25 lbs). The last time I was successful at loosing weight, this is what worked for me:
Walk at leat 1.75 miles on the treadmill every night after supper (about 30 min at about 3.7 mph). Eat three meals per day with NO SNACKS!. For me, it is the huge number of calories i consume between meals that is my undoing. Don't obsess over diet. Just eat a balanced diet of real food and cut back on portion size. There is no "superfood". I never drink beverages with sugar or fake sugar, so I didn't have to give those up, but if you do give them up. I only drink water, coffee, tea, beer and wine. Weigh yourself every morning when you wake up and plot your results so you can see long term results compared to a goal. I found 1 lb per week was a reasonable goal. That means losing 50 lbs takes a year. Don't expect fast results. There are short term fluctuations in weight. This is why you need to weigh you self at the same time every day and plot over the long term. I also found it helpful to publish my progress. I print my weight loss chart and post it on the refrigerator door and my Facebook page. Keeps you honest. What I would like to add to this is yoga and weighlifting.

capehiker
05-19-2018, 12:37
Have you considered seeing a therapist along with diet and exercise? I work with patients classified as morbidly obese and we see better long term results when therapy is included. Statistically, severely overweight individuals have a psychological component that needs to be addressed as well.

Hope that didn’t come off as too personal but this is one aspect that is overlooked all too often.

perrymk
05-19-2018, 14:54
I have shared this on various forums so have it saved for re-posting. It's easier than remembering it all. Here you go:
Regarding losing fat, I can share what works for me. I hope it helps others. I'll try to keep it brief (smile).

1. Count calories. This is one of those things that no one likes to do, but for me it is essential.
1a. It is easy enough to use an internet search engine to find the calorie content of just about any food, including restaurant food.
1b. One can also use the internet to get estimates of the calories burned by various activities. For example, walking burns about 100 calories per mile for men, about 80 for women.

2. For calorie counting to be useful, one also has to know how many calories are needed to maintain and then eat fewer calories than required for maintenance.
2a. My experience is that most people (depending on activity levels) need between 12 and 15 calories per pound of bodyweight for maintenance.
2b. For weight loss I usually aim for 10 calories per pound of desired bodyweight. I adjust up or down depending on how the weight loss is going. 10 calories per pound usually works OK for me.

3, Aim for a healthy, balanced diet. That is, don't eliminate any food groups. I didn't count grams fat or carbs but did be sure to have at least 1 gram of protein per 2 to 3 pounds of bodyweight. For me this was 60-90 grams protein per day.

My quick example. When I weighed 224 I decided I wanted to weight 185. So my target for daily calories was 1850. I decided I would eat 2000 calories per day and walk at least 2 miles per day (each mile burns about 100 calories for me) for a net of 1800 calories per day. I was also weightlifting 2 to 3 times per week. It took several months (6-8 as I recall; this was in 2008) but I reached my target weight. I was past 40 years old at the time.

This can be as healthy or as unhealthy as one chooses to make it. I find healthy foods generally more filling. I used diet sodas for those times when I needed a sweets fix. I agree diet soda, or any sodas, are not healthy. Neither is being overweight. Everyone has to decide for themselves which is worse, the extra weight or the chemicals in a soda.

Building muscle helps raise the metabolism, but not by much. I see muscle and the resulting metabolic boost more for weight maintenance than weight loss. I've always enjoyed working out with weights and I continue to do so. I also enjoy walking and hiking which are great low impact ways to maintain weight.

The biggest mistake I see people making is underestimating calories consumed and overestimating calories burned.

My eating was more out of habit and boredom, and a genuine enjoyment of food. I had to find a way to stay occupied to stave off boredom eating. For me it was building and restoring old camp stoves. I probably have around 30 stoves in my garage of various types, some dating back to the 1800s. The homemade ones are simple alcohol burning stoves. It may be that finding a hobby, one that requires keeping the hands and mind busy but isn't so challenging that it wears you out, could help you too.

That's the essence.

My biggest claim to fame is that it is now 2018 and I have usually maintained my weight in the 180-185 range. Some days are a struggle not to eat, but most days it is merely an effort and I suspect it always will be. Seldom does a day go by in which I haven't kept a mental tally of the calories I have consumed. According to my Tanita, I am a healthy 17-18% bodyfat. Not skinny, not fat. According to the Tanita pamphlets the healthy range is generally 10-20% bodyfat for young men, 13-23% for men past 35 or so. Women can generally add 3-5% to the ranges.i

In the end, diet and exercise are important, but it's not terribly important which particular protocol is followed as long as calories burned exceed rcalories consumed.
Good luck with your weight management

SC_Forester
05-19-2018, 16:32
I am in the same situation as Leo L. But i have found the trail to be a great place to lose some negative weight. I say negative because you will also gain muscle weight. One reason I have found it to be successful is that you account for each oz of calories. Also when I have 3-5 days worth of of food in one pile you can easily see how poor or good your food choices are.

rocketsocks
05-19-2018, 16:57
Love me some Cabbage soup (with tomatoe base)...eat as much as ya want!

Runner2017
05-19-2018, 17:26
Love me some Cabbage soup (with tomatoe base)...eat as much as ya want!In general cabbage is a good and safe vegetable. However, it doesn't work for people with certain madical conditions. Look it up on WebMD.

rocketsocks
05-19-2018, 19:53
In general cabbage is a good and safe vegetable. However, it doesn't work for people with certain madical conditions. Look it up on WebMD.thanks......

WTX2WY
05-19-2018, 22:36
I don't have any advice for you but found this girl's instagram and blog the other day. Pretty inspirational in terms of not making excuses and working with what you got. She has a few articles with tips for plus size hikers.

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ashleysadventure/

The Trek articles by her: https://thetrek.co/author/ashley-manning/

She has made it 600+ miles on the AT so far this year.

shelb
05-19-2018, 23:07
Hike the Buckeye Trail.
Section hike it if you need to. You're retired, clock is ticking.
PS- go to a real shoe store, get fitted for shoes. While you are there, check out compression sleeves.

Feral Bill is correct: section hike! Take your time! (Seriously, do NOT plan on more than 5 miles or so a day until you have experience on the A.T.!) Think "SMILES before MILES!"

Get good shoes! Note: these might not be boots! Some people do boots, a few do hikers, and some do trail runners! (Personally, I only do trail runners, or else I get mega blisters!).

Regarding food on the trail: My suggestion for shorter trips: If you are only doing a two week trip or under, focus only on protein: Make sure you get 60-90 grams a day... example: 20-30 gram protein bar for breakfast, nuts for snack, tuna and tortilla for lunch, jerky or beef sticks or cheese for snack, protein again for dinner (10-20 grams) in whatever meal you have... I have found that this diet always results in significant weight loss on the trail; plus, since I have at least 60-90 grams of protein a day, I have plenty of energy for hiking up to 20plus miles a day (but note: I am younger and have worked up to that level - even though I am overweight...)

gracebowen
05-20-2018, 01:19
From personal experience I can tell you cico ( calories in calories out) works.
At one point several years ago I was up to at least 220 lbs. I'm 5ft 6in. I was drinking probably close to 3k calories a day in tea (five 32 oz)and soda (100 to 200oz). Plus eating probably 800 to a thousand calories of junk food a day. 2 or 3 candy bars and bags of chips.
I was so fat it hurt to walk. I cut out half of my tea and soda the day I decided enough was enough. I also cut way back on the junk food. I got down to 200 lbs and was happy for a while. 2 years ago I decided I wanted I didn't want to be obese anymore. At that time I was drinking a 2 liter of Pepsi a day. I switched to the sweetened with 1 cup sugar and 1 cup Splenda. I lost another 20 lbs.

A week ago I decided to try to come off of caffeine. I now drink 1/2 to one 16 oz Mt dew a day. The rest is water. I usually add a 5;calorie water enhancer. I lost 3 more lbs already. I literally just decided to try the 5 calorie pack that has caffeine. I didn't buy it before because of the brand.

I haven't consistently done anything except cut out empty calories and monitor portion size. I have lost and kept off over 40 lbs

For a while my weight would bounce around from 185 to 196. I'd get careless about junk food and portion control. Then for a year I kept it at 187 to 184.

I'm down to 182 now

I do have my phases of trying to be more active but I've not been consistently excersizing. Others have suggested to just go hike. I agree. I only hike a few times a year but can go about 4 miles without regretting it the next day. Last time I did 1 mile day 1. 3 or 4 miles day 2. I was tired but not in pain. Then I got lost in the woods and probably walked 2 miles before I got unlost. After that I was in pain.

I do go hungry sometimes but it's usually a mild hunger. Sometimes I also stuff my face lol. I think as long as you generally run at a deficit you can and will lost weight.

I've read to keep a food journal. I never have. I always knew where I was messing up.

For you just identify your areas where you are overindulging. Then cut back.

Oh and my main weakness is chocolate so I only buy minis or snack size now and I keep it in the freezer. It helps keep me in check.

gracebowen
05-20-2018, 01:28
Also when I am being good I know the calorie count of everything I eat. I weigh my food on a postal scale.

I will get out a portion of Pringles and eat them slowly.
I ask myself questions like

Do I really want an Oreo that's 50 calories or would I rather eat 5 Pringles.
I know both are junk food that's just one example. I usually cut the crust off bread to save calories. It actually ends up being about half the calories. I've weighed the bread before and after.

atraildreamer
05-20-2018, 09:38
Google "Intermittent Fasting".

You get to eat every day, but restrict your meals to a 6 or 8 hour time period.

It allows you to eat normal meals, but allows your body to burn fat during the fasting period of 16 to 18 hours.

After a few days of adjustment to the new eating schedule, you will find that you will tend to choose the healthier foods
and not the hi-carb, hi-sugar, over-processed foods that are so prevalent in the typical American diet.

(BTW- A slice or two of pizza is OK once in a while! ;))

foodbag
05-20-2018, 10:10
If you have Netflix I'd like to recommend that you watch a couple of documentaries, Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead, and Hungry for Change. You get a real look into how the American food industry produces products that are totally unhealthy, addictive, and which contribute to weight gain. A change in what you eat can make all the difference.

When you are hiking you can eat just about anything you want, but to get to a baseline starting point there are recommendations that may help you to achieve your goal of being able to hike. Among them, don't drink anything but water, and try to eat foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. I have been gradually changing my eating habits, which has been quite difficult, as the crap that I have been eating for years is highly addictive (and cheap). I feel much better and would recommend these changes to anyone, whether or not they are overweight.

Odd Man Out
05-20-2018, 13:41
If you have Netflix I'd like to recommend that you watch a couple of documentaries, Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead, and Hungry for Change. You get a real look into how the American food industry produces products that are totally unhealthy, addictive, and which contribute to weight gain...

We vacationed in Sweden and Norway last year. Our flight home arrive too late to drive home so we stayed one night at a hotel (Residence Inn) by the airport and drove home the next morning. My wife and I took one look at the breakfast buffet at the hotel and we're appalled. The difference in quality between the American and Scandanavian hotel breakfast was shocking. You don't notice how bad it is until you get some external reference.

Runner2017
05-20-2018, 15:12
We vacationed in Sweden and Norway last year. Our flight home arrive too late to drive home so we stayed one night at a hotel (Residence Inn) by the airport and drove home the next morning. My wife and I took one look at the breakfast buffet at the hotel and we're appalled. The difference in quality between the American and Scandanavian hotel breakfast was shocking. You don't notice how bad it is until you get some external reference.I was wondering what type of food they serve at the hotels you stayed I. Sweden and Norway. I assume the Residence Inn just serve the SAD (Standard American Diet).

GreatDane
05-20-2018, 16:28
I'm 67 and overweight (ok, morbidly obese) and nothing has worked so far. On a whim (and with a little more desperation than I like to admit), I joined Weight Watchers online. I know. Weight Watchers. Not fancy or cutting edge. But, in six weeks I'm down 16 of the 95 pounds I need to lose. It is hands down, far and away the easiest plan I've ever tried. My skin looks great, my hair is shiny, my nails are growing like never before, and I generally feel great. I have an appointment with my primary care physician next week and I anticipate that my blood pressure and cholesterol will be much closer to normal.

That said, I agree with everyone here who said you should get out and hike now, regardless. Last time I was on the AT I was almost as heavy as I am now. But I trained by walking long distances, climbing stairs, strength training (especially my core, legs and butt) and doing balance work. It was hard out there, but I felt great and had a blast, even if every single person passed me by. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

Lyle
05-20-2018, 16:45
WAY more important than exercise is limiting your caloric intake, especially early on in your weight loss journey.

To make it easy to learn what proper eating and proper portions sizes are (most of us Americans have no idea) use the website http://myfitnesspal.com

Once you learn proper eating and portion sizes, then you can fine tune and enhance weight loss through exercise. Exercise alone rarely (never) results in significant weight loss.

I would also highly suggest watching this young man's Youtube videos. He is very practical, enjoyable to watch, and very motivating. "Obese to Beast"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzo4OXE8JxogJHWJ2SypiNg

Slo-go'en
05-20-2018, 20:22
I just hiked some 300 miles over the course of 25 days, eating less then 2000 calories a day on average. I lost 8 pounds. 195 to 187. I was hoping for more then that. It takes a lot of effort and a lot of time to loose a really significant amount of weight.

While I did meet several guys in their 70's on the trail or getting close to it, they were all very fit and long time hikers. A 77 year old had 3, 2000 mile rockers on his shirt! I also met a large number of 60ish thru hikes. We often out numbered the youngsters at the shelter sites, although that ratio was shifting more in favor of the youngsters as I approached the center of Virginia. The things all the older hikers had in common was good health and in good shape to start with.

For the OP, I'm afraid his ship has sailed. He really needed to start working on this 5 or more years ago. Let this be a wake up call for some of you who still have time. It's still a good idea for him to lose weight and get outside and walk around everyday.

Runner2017
05-20-2018, 20:38
I highly recommend Dr. John McDougall's book - the Starch Solution.

Let me quote one of the stories in the book:

My whole life has been centered around food. When things with my alcoholic father got bad, Mom would pack up me and my sister and we’d go on an eating binge of candy, hot dogs, and potato chips. By the sixth grade I weighed nearly 200 pounds.
In high school I brought my weight down so I could enlist in the US Marine Corps. After I was discharged at age 24, it didn’t take long for me to reach over 300 pounds. For most of my adult life, my weight fluctuated between 200 and 330, most often over 300, as I consoled myself with my childhood favorites: meat and cheese.
At age 28 I came across one of Dr. McDougall’s books and, after reading that you could eat all you want, I took it home. I bought 10 pounds of potatoes thinking, “I’ll show him!” The next morning my scale showed a 2-pound loss. This was Nirvana! It wasn’t long before I began adding sour cream and butter to those potatoes, and the weight loss came to a standstill.
Fourteen years later, I managed to lose 99 pounds, dropping from 331 to 232. I had the idea that I could capitalize on this by going on the Atkins diet, which I understood was deadly but also quick and effective. Once I got below 200, I figured, I’d use McDougall to regain my health. Five years later I’d bounced back to 300 pounds, where I stayed for several years.
At age 50, in January 2005, I decided to give the McDougall plan another try. By August I weighed 288 pounds and by early December, 229. A combination of holiday treats and cockiness from my success led me to stray and my weight shot right back up to 270. I tried Medifast and lost 34 pounds in 30 days, but also developed kidney stones. I have never known such pain.
When I finally committed myself 100 percent to the McDougall Maximum Weight-Loss Plan [see page 216], I stopped counting calories, ate only when I was hungry, and ate exclusively from the approved list of foods. I set a goal of 175 pounds, though I honestly could not remember ever weighing that little. Today, weighing 159 pounds at age 55, I have exceeded that goal. My blood pressure is 100/70 millimeters of mercury, my BMI is normal at 22.9, my cholesterol is 117 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), and my glucose is under 100 mg/dL. I wake up in the morning excited about the day ahead and I feel better than I have in years. Food has gone from a way to stuff my feelings to the pleasure of truly tasting it for the first time. The most fun is telling people I eat 85 to 90 percent carbohydrates—some accuse me of lying!

Runner2017
05-20-2018, 20:40
The above story of Mike Teehan, Retired from the USPS, Honolu, HI.

Here is his before & after:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180521/0afe32744d3b5693a050431e992f377a.jpg

Fredt4
05-20-2018, 23:03
Hey, my advice is a bit different. Ignore all the advice about what to eat and when to eat. Get a scale and weigh your self. Do it daily and don't ever miss weighing your self. Exercise daily with a minimum amount of walking, perhaps 5 miles a day. You can incorporate it into some other activity, but don't skip it. Now that you have a routine then you start adapting it. Watch your dinner and start adjusting it. Watch your lunch and do the same. Breakfast is the same. You'll notice that you start to lose weight and you keep it up. You notice that you gain some weight and you make a minor adjustment.

I dropped from 260 to my ideal weight and have been there for many years and I still drink coke on an irregular basis. I'm not a vegetarian or on any particular diet and it's easy and enjoyable. This method is a proven method to various people i know.

capehiker
05-21-2018, 00:42
For the OP, I'm afraid his ship has sailed. He really needed to start working on this 5 or more years ago. Let this be a wake up call for some of you who still have time. It's still a good idea for him to lose weight and get outside and walk around everyday.

No. It hasn’t sailed. He’s 68 not 98.

Feral Bill
05-21-2018, 01:03
Don't give up just yet. I recall a very obese hiker who was on the group a few years ago. Never learned why he stopped, but he made several hundred miles.