PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Marmot Never Summer 0-dgree bag advice please

Midwest Mike
05-20-2018, 22:42
So the 20 EE quilt isn't doing it for me when it gets below freezing, and I've decided to get a bag for early spring/late fall. Never Summer is in my price range, it's on sale at a few places now, and people seem to like it. Two questions:

1. Does anyone think I'm seriously barking up the wrong tree?

2. I'm 6 foot zero. Seen conflicting advice as to whether should get the 72 (regular) or 78 (long) inch. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Feral Bill
05-21-2018, 01:06
Try one on for size at a store, or order from someone with a good return policy. A zero bag should work for colder shoulder season use.

Midwest Mike
05-21-2018, 07:36
Try one on for size at a store, or order from someone with a good return policy. A zero bag should work for colder shoulder season use.Thanks, Bill.

Israel
05-22-2018, 10:50
Hey I have one of the marmot never summer bags. I'm 6' tall and I have the 6' tall version, not the large, and it fits me perfectly and very comfortable. For me @ 6' tall, I would not order the larger version.
Saying that, I also have an Outdoor Vitals 0 degree bag. My OV bag is MUCH warmer and better quality down and I like it a lot more than the Marmot. I was disappointed with the marmot when it arrived in the mail- would have returned it but got it on a huge sale so it was only like 50% of normal cost so I kept it. The OV summit bag is 800 fill down and a LOT more down than the marmot. The OV bag is lighter, with better down fill and more of it and I would say it is a good 10 degrees warmer to me than the Marmot though they technically are rated the same but the marmot 650 fill just doesn't have the loft of the OV. The regular size OV @ 6' is a bit short though so if you get an OV I'd get the longer version for your height.

Midwest Mike
05-23-2018, 11:11
Hey I have one of the marmot never summer bags. I'm 6' tall and I have the 6' tall version, not the large, and it fits me perfectly and very comfortable. For me @ 6' tall, I would not order the larger version.
Saying that, I also have an Outdoor Vitals 0 degree bag. My OV bag is MUCH warmer and better quality down and I like it a lot more than the Marmot. I was disappointed with the marmot when it arrived in the mail- would have returned it but got it on a huge sale so it was only like 50% of normal cost so I kept it. The OV summit bag is 800 fill down and a LOT more down than the marmot. The OV bag is lighter, with better down fill and more of it and I would say it is a good 10 degrees warmer to me than the Marmot though they technically are rated the same but the marmot 650 fill just doesn't have the loft of the OV. The regular size OV @ 6' is a bit short though so if you get an OV I'd get the longer version for your height.

Hmmm. Food for thought. Thanks.

MtDoraDave
05-29-2018, 06:43
I have the Marmot never summer zero also. Got it on sale for $215.
It has plenty of loft, and has kept me warm at 15 degrees...with water bottle, fuel canister, and fuel filter inside with me.
I'm 5' 10 1/2", so the regular length is plenty long for me.
If I were to do it again, I'd spend more money for higher down fill power so the bag would be lighter and smaller stuff size.
There's a saying around here: Buy once, cry once.

George
05-29-2018, 11:17
I am also on the edge and end up with both standard and long, I find for length it depends how you sleep - stretched out, pointed toes will give you cold spots - but otherwise a closer fit will be warmer