PDA

View Full Version : Levity line on sale at Backcountry Edge

Crossup
05-23-2018, 12:58
Levity 60 at $201 !!! Thats $14 below REIs super sale and REI DOES NOT have the medium size- in fact I was told the Levity is not available in medium by REI employees. Because I wanted to use my member discount I fell for that ploy and ordered a small.

Having tried it with my "normal" over 30lb load I love the Levity but its (painfully)obvious a small is NOT a good fit for someone who fits Ospreys medium packs. There is actually a size overlap by Ospreys specs but a warning: if you are not in the middle or lower end of the fitment spec, the strap padding will not cover your collarbone/front chest and will under deliver the comfort it can.

I'm doing a review of all 3 Airspeed suspended models in the review area here but the short version is I'm old, boney, and flabby along with a skinny frame and its looking like load for load the Levity is going to be the most comfortable between the Stratos, Exos and Levity. I attribute this to the much wider frame used, the small Levity was 4" wider at the bottom then my Stratos medium and that makes the mesh suspension wrap around one's hips significantly more than my Stratos. I tried a 2018 Exos in the store with 35lbs and it felt good but did seem to have the seam/hardspot that can chafe a little in the long run. Along with the wide frame, the Levity has its belt/hip strap spaced out 9" wide (small size pack) vs the Stratos medium at 6.5". I think we all know everyones back is more than 6.5" wide. The effect of this spacing is the Stratos rides further "off" your back/hip ares and has a much smaller contact point with the mesh suspension... while the Levity pulls you further into the mesh and the strap pull is straighter and more effective at keeping the pack on your hips. A side benefit of this design is you have less foam/strap trapping heat and sweat around your hips. The Stratos is supremely good at padding up any and all pressure points but at the cost of covering a lot of your body.

This evening I will also own a new 2017 Exos- I love belt pockets and decided to get one before their are no more available except at rip off prices but have to say the call of the Levity is strong and odds are I will end up owning all 3 Airspeed Ospreys. So if you have questions fire away, I think the whole question of pack choice is SO much more involved than any of the reviews from the normal sources can relate. My take is most reviews of the Levity are damning with faint praise, a bum rap in my view so far.

Crossup
05-23-2018, 13:10
Needless to say, the REI Levity is going back and given that the really good sales are mostly off season for me, I'll probably jump on the Backcountry deal before it ends on the 28th.
Pics of the loaded Levity(most reviews I've seen put 20lbs of nothing in the pack) and it does not show you how cavernous even the small is at 57L

Crossup
05-23-2018, 13:14
This basically stuffed full or more along with 4x 20oz drink bottles and full Frog Togs rain suit in the front pocked, which can hold more. Some reviews mention (also with the Exos) the front pocket exit holes being escape holes for things...the Levity has small straps there which can easily be tied directly to the frame to prevent that.

Just Bill
05-23-2018, 13:25
I find the 2017 exos more impressive. The 2018... not so much.
Nothing that exciting about the Levity compared to cottage options.

No 38L size is the ding for me. A SUL pack without a SUL volume is counter productive as well.
2017 stripped down Exos is about 2lbs on the nose. Levity stripped away features and still came in about the same weight.

I like stretch mesh, and osprey has some of the best... using 210d material in place of the mesh is not impressive to me. That's a main body heavy duty fabric, not a weight saving switch.

The point of buying an osprey is getting a fairly light framed pack. Cutting the hipbelt down with no visible weight savings is dumb.

I think the Levity series got folks excited but didn't pan out.
The Exos series was a big leap for a mainstream pack. The Levity didn't continue that momentum and they watered down the exos.

Go back to last Exos... and bring the Levity to the 1.5lb range and I'm interested.

Not ragging on you at all... just sharing my thoughts on why you are seeing the 'faint praise' overall.

JC13
05-23-2018, 14:18
I agree with Bill, if the Levity 60L had came in at 1.5 lbs, it would in my mind competed for my money against the Zpacks Arc Haul. The Osprey might not be as durable with its "Chineema" material but with the warranty, not a big issue. I did grab a 2017 Exos medium 48L on sale but ended up not solving, nor really helping too much with the sweaty back issue.

Crossup
05-23-2018, 18:12
Well Just Bill, we agree and thats why I just bought and received a 2017 Exos 58 in Granite black...but right off its just not carrying the same load as the Levity does as comfortably. Given the the load in question is over the Levity's rating, I think, at least for my body shape that says Osprey is on the right track for fit. Feature wise, its a looser and if it were not for sale pricing not much of an incentive to pick it over the Exos, however lots of people pay a serious amount of coin to save 10-12 oz. so perhaps to the seriously weight conscious its worth risking having to rely on the Osprey warranty. I'll say this: if I had to pick between a 2018 Exos 58 and a Levity 60 the Levity would win...right now I'm trying to make the choice between the 2017 Exos and Levity. We will see....as to the ARC Haul...yesterday out of the question due to price, today with new found money it may be in my future after all.

Just Bill
05-24-2018, 09:58
https://www.gregorypacks.com/backpacking/optic-58/7892OPT58.html

Just a thought... for what you seem to be shopping for, this pack came up the other day as an Exos/Levity comparison. My quick take... a hair heavier 'me-too' from Gregory. That said, as you seem to be carrying at the upper end of the intended load and volume you may find this a better pack.

Nothing wrong with carrying a bit more volume and weight than an UL hiker.
Though attempting to carry a bit more volume and weight in an UL hiker's pack is usually rough.

The 30+ capacities are really more of a 15lb base load with 15lbs of food/water/consumables in real life. The point being... you can deal with it walking out of town or on a bad water haul... but the load drops off as you eat up food and by day 2 or 3 you find it to be a pretty good pack. So on a trail like the AT... with a 3-5 day carry average most of the time you'll be doing pretty well at 20-25lbs carried and like the pack. If that pinch comes where you have to go a bit beyond... you won't have to drop the pack every hour and stop for a deep tissue massage.

If you're maxed out... better to jump a pack category in my opinion. If you are at that 50L/30 ish pound range....
You're better off with a 4lb AG series pack over a 2lb levity or exos that is tapped out. At that point you're debating a poorly carrying and annoying to use 30lbs load vs a smooth riding and cushy carrying 32lb load.
What's a quart of water vs your comfort?

Like it or not... the only practical application of an UL 60L pack is for winter UL. Where you have lots of volume invested in insulation/clothing but not necessarily a much heavier base load.
That's my opinion, and for sure I'm an a-hole with elbows... but I'd think many others would concur.
That's why I didn't like the Levity line up. 35L and 45L is what that should have been.
Anyone loading up a 60L with a 30lb three season kit is going to be hurting with that pack and poorly served by it.
And someone like me who would seek out and enjoy a 1.5lb ish 35L pack with airspeed features is not serviced.

A decent rule of thumb on pack design is 10% or so...
20lb load- 2lb pack
30lb load- 3lb pack
40lb load- 4lb pack
Etc.

At some point... if you're walking all day and not tough as nails... it's the suspension components that add the weight fastest. Your basic UL pack is around a yard of material and a pound for basics. Each jump in feature set costs you about a pound.

I go 'daddy SUL' at times... with a 7LB osprey poco plus. Because that is the amount of pack needed to do the job.
Baseweight is still around 15lbs... but if I put a 30lb kiddo in there ain't no way any other pack would do it.
Oh... and on the hipbelt.

The levity you noted as being wider... but that was a 'cheat'. That wingstyle hipbelt is lighter/simpler to build. The problem you will find with that design is that it uses the pack body itself as part of the hipbelt. A good choice when you have a small compact load, but a bad choice if you have a heavier/rigid load that will not conform to your body. It can also distort and reduce the volume of the pack. So if you are the type who stuffs your sleeping bag into a sack and smashes it into the bottom first... it makes that design carry even worse.

A small contact hipbelt (lumbar area sized) costs more in weight and labor to build... but since it is independent of the pack body it can fully wrap your hips. So long as the frame is tied to that lumbar connection then the load transfer is very good or excellent. You'll find most of the load haulers use this feature. It's intentionally small.

Crossup
05-24-2018, 11:12
Part of my issue with deciding is that I'm buying for a pretty rare to AT hiking gig...9 days or more, no resupply. Why? because I can and just have no desire to spoil a trip with a trip to town, I'd rather spend extra miles seeing sights off trail but still on the mountain. Also I see no downside to unused volume if you will occasionally take advantage of it...right now winter hiking is not in my plans, but plans change.

I've made some serious progress with weight reduction- last year struggled to stay under 45lb. Today, without my light down jacket and pillow the Levity packed out at 25.04lbs with slightly more food than last year but less than this trip will need(ran out of volume with a small Levity). I'm at a point where I could whack off another pound or two but very little volume...so then I'm faced with packing outside if I dont go ~60L, 50L did not cut it. Avoiding crap dangling all over my pack is why I'm going for high volume, there are dodges for the issues I have with external stuff like waterproof sacks but then the weight starts to creep up again(I even have the sacks). I LOVE my Stratos for its organization opportunities but even at sub 30lbs its just not riding well on my old man shape, and my spanky new 2017 Exos is not appearing to help one bit except with the volume.

I really value your input and have to conclude I'm still doing something wrong to need 60L in the summer...the only thing that comes to mind is my 30* bag is 5L in a compression bag...my true summer bag is more like 1L/2L. And I guess in fairness neither of us is discussing this from a 9 days of food perspective...

But on the matter of the Gregory, REI does not carry it so it would put me in a tight spot to order one to try given I'm less than 2 weeks away from the trip AND need to return the Levity(35 mile drive to REI and I have bikepacking gear to pickup) today or tomorrow as the ole budget just cant handle the bikepacking gear and 3 new back packs at once- the same does apply to ordering a medium Levity, I have to move now if I'm going to, at least I'm close to knowing for sure if the Levity is going to win based on comfort and volume.

Also I'm really an Airspeed fan, the Gregory has more like a half Airspeed suspension with the back of the belt area really making me sweat just looking at it... I think the Arc Haul is the only real competition for the Airspeed and even its belt comes up short ventilation wise comparatively.
I can only say I'm going to give the Levity a good test drive in a few minutes and actually hope it dissappoints as 90% of the attraction so far has been its comfort, the other 10% being the volume. Whether the fit is a result of a budget move or not, I can not argue with the result if they hold up for a long test drive.

Just Bill
05-24-2018, 12:32
While you may be in the minority among AT/LD hikers... you're in good company with those of who have more of a general backpacking background. In fact the 10 day trip was (and probably still is) a solid benchmark and the trip that let you know you might have figured this thing out.
On a side note: I've been stuck on a '21 days in Virginia' trip on the AT. I admire Tipi Walter's trips, but often consider adapting the 3 weeks out concept to the challenge of making some miles too.

Now my pal Tipi goes with the old tried and true... Get the bomber mystery Ranch and load her up for an expedition (though I had a Vortex).

Since time is short and REI is imminent. Give this a peek. https://www.rei.com/product/126707/osprey-atmos-ag-50-pack-mens

Airspeed is the term for the butterfly metal hoop with mesh panel. But the AG series features the same concept in terms of ventilation, but with better suspension.
https://www.rei.com/product/134072/osprey-atmos-ag-65-pack-mens

There is a 55L AG model too.
Granted... all are in the 4lb range. But they do have ventilation and very nice suspension.
They are also feature rich and one could apply some LD hiking tricks and tips to trim them up.
With all the bells and whistles the brains of these packs can creep near a pound on their own.

So sometimes a 'brainless' wonder in 50L or 60L may provide you a nice 3 ish pound hauler after trimming off the fluff and ditching the Lid you'll end up around 40-50L.
Those of us around long enough to recall, recall that the reason brains are removable was so that you could reduce weight and volume for a long weekend when needed. If you were out for your 'weeklong a year' then you dug the brain out and didn't need to own three packs.

Since time is short... here is a long distance hiker trick to stretch that lower volume pack...the law of averages or the 80% rule.

A nine day haul is intimidating off the bat. So pack for a 4.5 day haul. Likely you can do that job as that's what you're used to.
In your case... seems you have a ready at hand solution.
A compression sack can weigh quite a bit on it's own... but a slightly larger volume drysack and sometie offs is an easy swap.

You are only carrying 9 days of food the first day. So for the first day or so, just move that large volume but low weight sleeping bag outside the pack. Either under the brain or along the back.
That 'gets you by' for the first few days, without requiring you to oversize your pack too much. Carrying food/consumables is a temporary problem.
So if you pack for the 'average' or 80% of your trip... you don't necessarily need to perfectly handle the extreme of the first few days.

A high volume pack that is half empty... still doesn't carry very well. SUL hikers actually will use the sleeping pads and insulation to fill in empty volume because a rigid pack is in and of itself a version of a frame.

That said... a heavier load than a pack can handle is an unpleasant trip as well.
You still have to 'get off the starting line' and spend several days walking with a decent load.

The modern long distance hiker solves this by reaching town faster and cutting down on carried consumables.
The long travel backpacker has to take some realities into account, including accepting some dings on pack weight in favor of acceptable suspension.

It's a bit late to learn all the tricks of the trade employed by long travel backpackers or expedition packers.
But many are familiar with some basics like managing your food volume. Even something as simple as sucking the air out of a freeze dried meal can save a few liters.
The mylar pouch is for 30 year storage... but at the trail head you can dump those meals into a ziplock and cut the size in half and reduce packaging weight by a bunch.
Simply organizing your food by volume.. helps you eat up the high volume stuff faster and get that sleeping bag back in the pack.
Caloric density and all that jazz... and in some ways it's hard to debate a LD hiker's food packing skills when you see a weeks worth of food oragami stuffed into a bear can.

I'd have to say... with two weeks to go...
Now is not the time to reinvent the wheel.
Lesson one in UL is that you sort everything out first... then buy a pack.
You're trying to violate that rule in building a 50L+ load into a 2lb pack.
And adding a 9 day carry challenge to it all too.
You got the right idea... as dangling danglies all over your pack is a crappy way to walk too. But simply increasing the volume on a low volume/low weight design is a poor solution.

Plus... why stress out over it. As the long travel backpacker sometimes learns... some pounds carry themselves.
Shoes and packs will affect your hike more than anything else when they are wrong... followed closely by crotch rot and sleep system problems.
Reducing weight and volume is a downward spiral that leads to a low volume low weight pack.
But seems you are not there yet and about to ruin your trip over a pound.
You will notice every ounce of suspension you saved on every step you take when you try to cut suspension.

You won't notice the extra pound of pack you added once you put the spec sheet down and start walking.

If nothing else... REI will exchange that AG pack for a levity after your trip if you feel you went wrong.

JERMM
05-24-2018, 12:47
"Levity 60 at $201 !!! Thats $14 below REIs super sale and REI DOES NOT have the medium size- in fact I was told the Levity is not available in medium by REI employees."

not available only because it sold out at REI, 20% off couple will do that, more will be coming

Crossup
05-24-2018, 13:36
Since I was there the morning of the first sale day and the sales person checked the company system with the resultant claim that the medium did not exist, I'm having a hard time buying that-yes I know about the online discount offer as I used it to buy a bikepack bar bag.

Regardless, 24% off and NO tax for me SERIOUSLY trumps REI...and having miss informed me I had no qualms using the small pack to figure out if I want one. I am a pretty big customer of REI, I got my 9 days of food FREE from my 10% reward from last year as well as some other goodies, BUT they like all retail operations can have their own issues.
Beyond the miss information and putting me in the wrong size, since I also wanted a pair of Salomon shoes I told my wife maybe she should join up to get the discount and eventually it would work out to be worth while. Needless to say, that would NOT have been necessary had they just said, "you need a medium and we dont have them nor will in time for your hike", instead I used it to buy the wrong pack size. Wanna bet they wont "fix" that mistake?

"Levity 60 at $201 !!! Thats $14 below REIs super sale and REI DOES NOT have the medium size- in fact I was told the Levity is not available in medium by REI employees."

not available only because it sold out at REI, 20% off couple will do that, more will be coming

Just Bill
05-24-2018, 13:43
It appeared that REI got 'first crack' at the Levity launch as they were in stock there before even Osprey.
As a result they may truly not have received a medium in their system as Osprey probably filled other orders to vendors before circling back to REI.

Can't expect even a well meaning green vest to win em all.

I do believe you can 're-use the coupon' if you explain it to them.
There are cheaper places, but REI will generally absorb quite a bit you couldn't get away with elsewhere.
Though nearly every retailer copies and steals REI's sale now with matching deals.

cmoulder
05-24-2018, 14:01
If doing a simple swap for the exact same item in a different size, there should be no problem at REI.

No matter what pack you end up with, you simply must get out and do a 1- or 2-night shakedown cruise, with at least 1 full day of hiking with 2000 ft of elevation loss/gain. Nothing short of this will expose weaknesses or issues with the pack. i never go on a big trip with a new piece of gear of any kind without doing this minimal test.

Crossup
05-24-2018, 14:09
After nearly 2 hours with the Levity on my back, loaded I stand by my claim that its noticeably more comfy than either my Exos or Stratos. It literally feels like some one took a pillow and strapped it around my hips, its very different feeling compared to the Exos...which I wore last night for less than an hour. I made a point of wearing the same clothes so there would be no difference in friction or other factors to skew the result.
I swear, I'm biased against the Levity because of the lack of pockets etc. having been spoiled rotten with the Stratos. I do not like having to choose less comfort for more convenience.
This is what JUST BILL is saying however, I think its going in reverse.

Just Bill
05-24-2018, 14:32
I love Altra shoes. They fit my feet.
That doesn't mean everyone should buy Altras.

If for whatever reason the Levity fits you just right... that would make up for lack of suspension components.

I'm still saying the same as you're seeing.
The convenient features and do-dads on the stratos will do nothing to improve the suspension... might even do the opposite as people tend to load up all those little pockets and organizers with all the heaviest items they have and fill the body with sleep gear and food. A pound of diddy bag stuff carried in your pack body close to your back is going to feel better than a pound of diddy bag stuff stored in the lid or on the outer edges.

By forcing you to carry your load differently the Levity may simply be improving the center of balance of your load. The closer you carry the weight to your own center of gravity... the better a pack carries.
You can sometimes 'fix' a bad pack fit simply by fixing a bad packing job.

On SUL packs... you see folks moving the water bottles to the front shoulder strap for good reason. 2.2lbs of water carried in low outside pockets on a 10lb minimally designed pack really throws it off.
But that same 2.2 lbs carried up front acts like a load lifter suspension and floats the pack.
Same exact load, same exact pack- just different location.

I would still strongly suggest you try one of the 50L+ AG packs.
That's convenience and suspension design for a slight ding in weight.

I'm not that familiar with the stratos... but that strikes me as much like the levity line... probably should have stopped at 36L or so. It looks like an Exos with do-dads and junk.

As I mentioned in the other thread at one point...
Osprey seems a bit weak in the middle.
They have some decent 2lb packs, and some excellent 4lb packs.
But that sweet 3lb seems elusive.

Like cmoulder is saying... I kinda have a feeling you'd get 8 hours in and find the issues with the Levity for the loads you're carrying. Day 2,3,and 4 of that 9 day trip are likely to be unpleasant.

Crossup
05-24-2018, 14:39
Thats why they get the lions share of my business, but at some point, like buying the same tent for 45% less you just have to go elsewhere.
As to the green shirts, I only have them and you guys for advice, I value both and pretty much know how to separate the wheat from the chaff.

The worst advice I got from them up till this latest was to NOT go out with 40lb in my Stratos...well meaning and likely the right answer for most senior beginners. Maybe its 20+ years of motocross or a life time of believing I can do anything someone else can but I'm SO glad I just packed up and went hiking...one of the best times of my life with literally zero repercussions for being old, out of shape, over loaded and generally only book learning prepared. I truly expected to have to pay some dues with soreness or having something tweaked, but it was as trauma free as sitting on my couch, I did not even mind sweating in the 90+* temps as Gatorade and water kept me feeling fresh.

As to the stock issue, I expect you have it right...sometimes the early bird is up before the worms come out :D

It appeared that REI got 'first crack' at the Levity launch as they were in stock there before even Osprey.
As a result they may truly not have received a medium in their system as Osprey probably filled other orders to vendors before circling back to REI.

Can't expect even a well meaning green vest to win em all.

I do believe you can 're-use the coupon' if you explain it to them.
There are cheaper places, but REI will generally absorb quite a bit you couldn't get away with elsewhere.
Though nearly every retailer copies and steals REI's sale now with matching deals.

Crossup
05-24-2018, 14:52
FYI, the issue is they dont have the size, period. And now their price is not the best by far...for an untried pack, I'd go with them(and did) but now that I know the pack...price, price, price.

As to test hikes, I totally agree, my very first day on the trail proved that you can not approximate conditions to test things, its got to be the real deal. Fortunately, I was able to handle the minor issues with testing on the trail without any repercussions and once again, due to the time frame and horrible weather will be hitting the trail with new gear.
At least this time I know the relationship between hiking around the neighborhood and also will have backup proven shoes this time- but it does seem my foot is one of the standards so shoes tend to work perfectly right out of the box...last time 2 pairs of Merrells were pure heaven the whole hike, I actually expect my new Salomons to put a grin on my face going downhill, we will see.

If doing a simple swap for the exact same item in a different size, there should be no problem at REI.

No matter what pack you end up with, you simply must get out and do a 1- or 2-night shakedown cruise, with at least 1 full day of hiking with 2000 ft of elevation loss/gain. Nothing short of this will expose weaknesses or issues with the pack. i never go on a big trip with a new piece of gear of any kind without doing this minimal test.

JERMM
05-24-2018, 15:46
Crossup- as of 3:40P today there "is" a size medium in stock at the REI in Buford GA. I know this because I work there, it has been there for almost two weeks if not longer.

Since I was there the morning of the first sale day and the sales person checked the company system with the resultant claim that the medium did not exist, I'm having a hard time buying that-yes I know about the online discount offer as I used it to buy a bikepack bar bag.

Regardless, 24% off and NO tax for me SERIOUSLY trumps REI...and having miss informed me I had no qualms using the small pack to figure out if I want one. I am a pretty big customer of REI, I got my 9 days of food FREE from my 10% reward from last year as well as some other goodies, BUT they like all retail operations can have their own issues.
Beyond the miss information and putting me in the wrong size, since I also wanted a pair of Salomon shoes I told my wife maybe she should join up to get the discount and eventually it would work out to be worth while. Needless to say, that would NOT have been necessary had they just said, "you need a medium and we dont have them nor will in time for your hike", instead I used it to buy the wrong pack size. Wanna bet they wont "fix" that mistake?

Crossup
05-24-2018, 16:00
You may have noticed I've change to saying it fits me...;)

The Levity is working so well it actually bothers me...the straps should be digging in. They are tiny and being too small a size, the padding totally misses where I know I need it(the Stratos is padded every where, even where its just decoration) yet an hour in the Stratos/Exos felt no better. Can strap callouses last 6 months??? I can only think the lower pack weight is taking the strap pressure below a threshold point for me. I guess thats good.

Being as the Stratos and Exos are extremely similar I'm confident the Exos will feel the same on the trail, which means I'll be hiking the pack up every 15 minutes. After my walk with the Levity, no such issue, it stayed put and while I'd be lying to say the Stratos/Exos is uncomfortable when I put them on, I relive my last 7 days on the trail when its on my back. I really expected carrying nearly 15lbs less to change that but the change is only my feet feeling less loaded.

As to the Stratos...think of the Exos scaled down a bit, made of heavier material with padding out the wazoo on everything AND zippers, zippers, zippers. 12 pockets/areas. Its pretty amazing it ONLY weights 3.6lbs as its build like a battleship, 50lbs did not phase it.

At this point, for the Levity, I can not tell if its the devil or angel whispering in my ear "its comfortable". I do know both the medium Exos and small Levity come up just that tiny bit short of the volume I would like, 60L seems to be exactly right for the current trip so theres that in favor of the Levity. Obviously 10L less with the Stratos is no bueno and why I'm changing packs.

To add to my confusion, before next season my budget will not be a limiting factor and then I have to add the Arc Haul to the mix potentially....no doubt plenty of hardcore people have 4 packs but how many are all 50-60L???

I will definitely revisit the AG series at REI but that is likely as much of a long shot for working out as the Levity is...just switching long term comfort uncertainty for ventilation uncertainty.
And I do hear you about ruining things over a pound, I have drunk the light is right koolade but after dropping as much pack weight as I have, I will not be obsessing over a pound or even two. Weight is now a tie breaker more than a prime consideration.

I love Altra shoes. They fit my feet.
That doesn't mean everyone should buy Altras.

If for whatever reason the Levity fits you just right... that would make up for lack of suspension components.

I'm still saying the same as you're seeing.
The convenient features and do-dads on the stratos will do nothing to improve the suspension... might even do the opposite as people tend to load up all those little pockets and organizers with all the heaviest items they have and fill the body with sleep gear and food. A pound of diddy bag stuff carried in your pack body close to your back is going to feel better than a pound of diddy bag stuff stored in the lid or on the outer edges.

By forcing you to carry your load differently the Levity may simply be improving the center of balance of your load. The closer you carry the weight to your own center of gravity... the better a pack carries.
You can sometimes 'fix' a bad pack fit simply by fixing a bad packing job.

On SUL packs... you see folks moving the water bottles to the front shoulder strap for good reason. 2.2lbs of water carried in low outside pockets on a 10lb minimally designed pack really throws it off.
But that same 2.2 lbs carried up front acts like a load lifter suspension and floats the pack.
Same exact load, same exact pack- just different location.

I would still strongly suggest you try one of the 50L+ AG packs.
That's convenience and suspension design for a slight ding in weight.

I'm not that familiar with the stratos... but that strikes me as much like the levity line... probably should have stopped at 36L or so. It looks like an Exos with do-dads and junk.

As I mentioned in the other thread at one point...
Osprey seems a bit weak in the middle.
They have some decent 2lb packs, and some excellent 4lb packs.
But that sweet 3lb seems elusive.

Like cmoulder is saying... I kinda have a feeling you'd get 8 hours in and find the issues with the Levity for the loads you're carrying. Day 2,3,and 4 of that 9 day trip are likely to be unpleasant.

Crossup
05-24-2018, 16:04
Having been told repeatedly that they will not transfer stock from store to store, I'm not sure that helps me any...what am I missing? Still tax as well I'd presume since REI is in Md....since the flagship REI in DC is actually closer than the one I go to(I refuse to drive into that part of DC, I take the Metro) I would love it if they would transfer stock.

Crossup- as of 3:40P today there "is" a size medium in stock at the REI in Buford GA. I know this because I work there, it has been there for almost two weeks if not longer.

Crossup
05-25-2018, 10:50
With my resistance to ignoring the Levitys fit for me waning, I decided to check Backcountry Edges return policies and that was the final blow- they have the same 1 year, we dont care why or what condition policy as REI, plus return shipping is $4.99 using them or your cost if you can do better. So with a whole $5 on the line, I'm going to give it a shot.

Also will be taking Cmoulders advice and weather permitting do an day and overnight hike test next weekend, we'll see how much vertical I can get in.

This morning I played around with my Exos working on the fit and while still short of matching the comfort of the Levity, I did find I've been setting up too low which has about the same effect as having a pack that is too small. So I now have even more hope the Levity will be very comfortable, by getting the shoulder straps to wrap further around/down my front side with the bonus of moving the fixed sternum strap down too- pretty much my biggest complaint with the small sized pack I tested.

Crossup
05-30-2018, 21:15
Got my medium Levity and gave it a test drive today. Pretty different experience from the small, as it appears the jump between sizes is pretty large. So the shoulder strap padding was much further forward on my shoulder where it gives great coverage to both the shoulder and collar bone. Unlike the small I was easily able to get a 45* angle on the load lifter straps. With the long padding area, the sternum strap is much lower and I dont even need the lowest setting.

I decided to try my bag in a stuff sack instead of compression sack since I should have 3L more room and with that it seemed I had no more room than the small Levity.

45 minutes of walking with it loaded at 26lbs was great, the hip area feels just like having a pillow strapped on and even with a top heavy load(food) there was almost nothing on the shoulder straps. Little tendency for it to slide down.

For my body shape it is definitely more comfortable than the Exos on my hips and despite less padding length, just as comfy at the shoulders.