PDA

View Full Version : Merlefest 2006, Any takers?

Cheesewhiz
02-15-2006, 10:03
I think I am going to get off the trail for a couple days between Erwin and Damascus. In Wilkesboro, NC (Approx 1.5-2 hrs off the trail) is a 4 Day($145) music festival. Bob Weir, Doc Watson, Bella Fleck, The Waybacks, John Prine, Hot Tuna... Conveniently, I have Family that lives very near to Watauga lake and would be willing to transport and even possibly attend and return to trail. The Dates of the Festival are April 27-30, I am starting my hike on the 22 of March and will be on the Trail for 36 days till the start of the Festival. Therefore, I SHOULD be between Erwin and Damascus. All I can say is that it was meant to be! A month in the woods then a weekend of bluegrass!

Lone Wolf
02-15-2006, 10:08
Too crowded. Too many stages.

Cheesewhiz
02-15-2006, 10:31
Nah, I attended Bonnaroo last year, now thats too crowded and too many stages! I'll never attend a fest that big again.

Adom
02-15-2006, 11:17
It took me 3 years to figure that out.

Cheesewhiz
02-15-2006, 11:19
Huh? Three years to figure what out, Bonnaroo was too big?

Adom
02-15-2006, 11:20
Yep, I went to the first three and had some great times but festivals just shouldn't be that much work.

mweinstone
02-15-2006, 19:37
hot tuna is playing upstairs in my building at this moment.i am a dead head.are any of you? this concert sonds way to good to be real.i love all blugrass more than any other music. and i cant find my way home.

Lone Wolf
02-15-2006, 20:03
Jorma knows how to use that axe.

Tha Wookie
02-15-2006, 20:29
I will be there for sure!

I've been on the stage crew since 2001!

It is the BEST bluegrass festival in the world!

Lone Wolf
02-15-2006, 20:38
Don't miss this one. www.smilefest.com

Tha Wookie
02-15-2006, 20:42
I hear you man. I've gotten a lot of good reports. Can you volunteer for it?

Smile
02-15-2006, 20:42
Yeah! It's about time they named a festival after me.....:banana

Cheesewhiz
02-15-2006, 20:44
I looked at smilefest but not many bands but Keller sounds very very persuesive! Michael Franti played in the Big summer classic this year and was horrible.

My uncle is already going to Merlefest so that one is more convenient and you can't ask for much better timing for it. Then, two weeks later TRAIL DAYS!

StarLyte
02-15-2006, 20:51
You guys have great festivals in your area - Cleveland Ohio never has a damn thing like that. Even the RocknRoll Hall of Fame inaugurals are held in NYC but the museum is here in Cleveland.

Have fun Cheesewhiz, Wookie.

Lone Wolf how come there are 300 hits on your and Weathercarrot's picture on backcountry? huh

Marsha

Lone Wolf
02-15-2006, 20:53
You guys have great festivals in your area - Cleveland Ohio never has a damn thing like that. Even the RocknRoll Hall of Fame inaugurals are held in NYC but the museum is here in Cleveland.

Have fun Cheesewhiz, Wookie.

Lone Wolf how come there are 300 hits on your and Weathercarrot's picture on backcountry? huh

Marsha
Cuz we're like ******* rock stars! Handsome ones at that!:D

Cheesewhiz
02-15-2006, 20:54
hot tuna is playing upstairs in my building at this moment.i am a dead head.are any of you? this concert sonds way to good to be real.i love all blugrass more than any other music. and i cant find my way home.

Hot Tuna's website says their in HI tonight?
Kauai War Memorial Theater,
Kauai, HI

StarLyte
02-15-2006, 20:55
Cuz we're like ******* rock stars! Handsome ones at that!:D

I have better ones in my private collection.

Took them while you guys were sleeping.

HA:banana

Marsha

okay sorry to change the thread here

tsali
02-15-2006, 21:13
I will be there for sure!

I've been on the stage crew since 2001!

It is the BEST bluegrass festival in the world!

Grey fox is by far the best festival in the world!

Tha Wookie
02-16-2006, 01:59
Grey fox is by far the best festival in the world!

OH.... ok well it's the best bluegrass festival in the world I've ever been too!:)

tsali
02-16-2006, 11:57
wookie, you should really look into Grey Fox, it is a blusgrass festival, in Ancramdale New York, 4 days everyone camps on this Huge hill overlooking the Hudson Valley and the Catskills, one stage, tickets are only $140bucks or so, and you never have to leave the hill. Check it out! It is in mid july.

Tha Wookie
02-16-2006, 19:21
wookie, you should really look into Grey Fox, it is a blusgrass festival, in Ancramdale New York, 4 days everyone camps on this Huge hill overlooking the Hudson Valley and the Catskills, one stage, tickets are only $140bucks or so, and you never have to leave the hill. Check it out! It is in mid july.

Oh yeah, I heard of that. Bluegrass in New York?

Have you been to M-fest?

Cheesewhiz
02-16-2006, 20:33
Hey Wookie is there any way I could volenteer at Merlefest? I don't have any stage experience but I run a good lost and found or something.

tsali
02-16-2006, 21:29
Oh yeah, I heard of that. Bluegrass in New York?

Have you been to M-fest?

i have not but they guys i went to grey fox with two years ago said that they like Grey fox better, but i do want to check out m-fest some time. I am never around there that time of year. Yeah I thought a bluegrass fest in new york was a little crazy too but now that i have been two years in a row i strongly reccomend it to anyone who loves the grass, Last year grisman and bush played together and it was amazing, all the others where great to but the best part is the music after the stage clears everyone plays all night around their camps. great times! Hey by the way great pictures!

Heather
02-16-2006, 22:38
Wow, that would be fun. I'm tempted...and I should be on the trail same time as you.

Tha Wookie
02-17-2006, 10:39
I learned about merlefest when I was on my 2001 thru-hike. I had bad shin splints coming into Damascus, and I was easily convinced to go to M-fest, even though I couldn't afford it and there were supposedly no volunteer jobs left.

But we went there and got hired. It was a sweet gig. Kept the music charged up in me until seeing Phil and Friends in Saratoga NY after taking a break with the chef from the Inn at Long Trail. There's lots of music around the trail!

I'm not sure about volunteering. I believe you can download an application on the website, www.merlefest.org (http://www.merlefest.org)

If anyone decides to go, come camp with us at our hiker/farmer/musician camp at the "creekside camp" across from the airstrip!

Cheesewhiz
02-17-2006, 16:48
I'll see ya there Wookie hopefully, I am deffiniately going, My uncle has tickets.

Tha Wookie
02-17-2006, 16:57
I'll see ya there Wookie hopefully, I am deffiniately going, My uncle has tickets.

Great. A lot of thru-hikers past and present go every year.

Ishmael, Six-String, Luna, me, Island Mama, Warren Doyle, Gypsy (not lw's gypsy) and many others. It is a good time to be had by all!

Cheesewhiz
02-17-2006, 17:06
I just tried to contact them about volunteering, but I have to go to a class on Wed? but my only ride is for Thurs. I am still going to apply($35 application fee) refundable after volunteer is over and you have to work a minnium of 4 hours. That sounds like a real good deal.

Belew
02-17-2006, 20:07
I hear you man. I've gotten a lot of good reports. Can you volunteer for it?

Yes, you can volunteer. Look up the info at smilefest.com They even offer tickets for work days to get the place ready weeks or months before the fest. I've been to Merlefest and Smilefest a few times each. Both are great and very different. Give it a try, I think you'll like it.

Lanceglas
02-19-2006, 18:52
Hey cheezewiz
I'm game sounds like fun. I guess we can camp, eh? I am starting a little later than you , but we may likely cross paths. Oh, and for the record, the best bluesgrass fest is definitely Telluride ... And hot tuna is sweet! (they live just down the road)

squirrel bait
02-19-2006, 20:39
I agree Smile, it is great having a festival named after youself.
Merle aka Squirrel Bait. I'm sure going to try to be there.

mdermody
02-20-2006, 11:48
Hey guys!
extremly interested in merlefest. any music will help keep me goin!
see ya out there!
Michael

Tha Wookie
02-20-2006, 19:14
I dug up this pic of me and Vassar from my thru in 2001 when we volunteered at Merlefest. I got to handle the fiddle as a part of my "work"!

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=2411

Bloomer
03-13-2006, 11:55
If you don't know Jorma then you dont Know Jack!!!

Hey Cheesewiz I would be game into going to that festival if you can offer a ride. Maybe our paths will cross.... wish I was a head light on a north bound train>>>>>

Bloomer

Tha Wookie
04-26-2006, 09:07
Hey ya'll, who is going to Merlefest this week?

I might have some leads on some volunteer shifts, if anyone is interested.....

One day till picking time!!!!!

Belew
04-26-2006, 18:37
I'm looking at the schedule, I might have to get over there on Friday.

The Scribe
04-26-2006, 19:03
Been looking at those Bluegrass sites. Cool. For those of you who want Bluegrass in Maine, there is the Thomas Point Fesitval on Labor Day weekend in Brunswick, Maine. Doesn't look as big as these others, but it is nice, right on the ocean. The website is www.thomaspointbeach.com (http://www.thomaspointbeach.com). It is a commercial campground that has the festival. I just looked at the site and it doesn't appear up (all you get is a picture).

Brunswick is 25 or so miles up the coast from Portland.

Tha Wookie
04-27-2006, 08:39
Who's gonna see JP tonight? I am!!!

If any hikers are going to Merlefest, Look for a message on the message board near the sand sculpting/Americana Stage on where to meet if you want to camp with the rest of the hiker trash.

I'll probably get that message up tonight at some point.:welcome