PDA

View Full Version : AT data and elevation profiles app

LittleRock
05-25-2018, 11:11
Happy Memorial Day weekend!
I just wanted to share this app I built that allows hikers to generate their own mileage tables and custom elevation profiles for any section of the AT (NOBO or SOBO).
https://bentwells.shinyapps.io/atdata/
It's not nearly as fancy as Guthooks, but it's free. The data are all based on the 2018 edition of WhiteBlaze pages. I worked with the author, Rick, to make sure everything is accurate.
It doesn't have any town/service info, so it's not meant to replace the guide book - but you can export the info to a PDF and print it to save weight.
One caution: I am currently using a free service to host the app. The drawback is the free service limits each app to 25 hours of user time (total amongst all users) per month. After that it gets shut down for the rest of the month. I would have to use their paid service to get more user time. So, if you like the app, please consider donating so more people can use it.

Carl7
05-26-2018, 06:44
This is a great tool/app. Doing a quick scan of the stats, it appears the steepest two sections for the AT are the .4 mile from Housatonic River/River Rd. to St Johns Ledges with a 27.0% grade and the .8 mile from South Twin Mtn/North Twin Spur Trail to Galehead Hut/Twin Brook Trail with a 26.8% grade. Thanks for putting this together. Carl

Carl7
05-26-2018, 07:47
Using the data provided in the app, the 165.4 mile section from Rumford Rd/ME Hwy 17 to Oliverian Brook/NH Hwy 25 has 65.2 miles or 39.4% of trail with a 12.0% or greater elevation gain/loss. This is basically Southern Maine through the Whites depending on where you draw the start/end points. I always thought at 12% grade it was getting pretty real.

Carl7
05-26-2018, 08:08
Using the data provided in the app, the 165.4 mile section from Rumford Rd/ME Hwy 17 to Oliverian Brook/NH Hwy 25 has 65.2 miles or 39.4% of trail with a 12.0% or greater elevation gain/loss. This is basically Southern Maine through the Whites depending on where you draw the start/end points. I always thought at 12% grade it was getting pretty real.

Update to above numbers to add a missed .6 mile section. Using the data provided in the app, the 165.4 mile section from Rumford Rd/ME Hwy 17 to Oliverian Brook/NH Hwy 25 has 65.8 miles or 39.8% of trail with a 12.0% or greater elevation gain/loss. This is basically Southern Maine through the Whites depending on where you draw the start/end points. I always thought at 12% grade it was getting pretty real.

LittleRock
05-30-2018, 09:22
Update: I re-posted this thread on under the Geography sub-forum so it doesn't get buried.