PDA

View Full Version : A not so cheesy question about cheese.

mdbeckett
05-25-2018, 18:51
For you cheese aficionados, any opinions as to how well cheeses would hold up for 6 days on the AT in GA/NC/TN in mid June? And any opinions as to which types tend to "survive" the best? Keep in mind they need to be types that taste good as well.

Hikes in Rain
05-25-2018, 19:10
Cheese is a way of preserving milk for long periods of time. It'll be fine. Harder cheeses will last longer than softer ones; some, like cheddar, may get a little "oily".
Parmesan, Romano, Assagio....all are good choices.

devoidapop
05-25-2018, 19:27
Any of the cheeses with a wax rind

Sarcasm the elf
05-25-2018, 19:42
Finally an excuse to post this again: :)

https://nighthikingtomars.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-power-of-cheese.html?m=1

DuneElliot
05-25-2018, 20:04
Cheese is one of my go-to choices for trail food. I take a lot of cheddar and pepperjack in cheese-stick form ie individually wrapped

Rex Clifton
05-25-2018, 20:53
I can't stand the sweaty nature of the softer cheeses, it's reggiano parmesan for me. Eat with a stick of pepperoni; not too shabby!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

bigcranky
05-25-2018, 21:28
Cabot Seriously Sharp holds up well for several days in the summer -- though I usually eat it faster than that :)

Odd Man Out
05-25-2018, 23:36
I've taken those little Babybel snacks. They are pretty convenient. But sharp cheddar and Parmesan are my favorites.

saltysack
05-25-2018, 23:57
Cabot Seriously Sharp holds up well for several days in the summer -- though I usually eat it faster than that :)

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Roper
05-26-2018, 09:04
Hard cheeses like cheddar will last four to six days.

Wrap your cheese in a paper towel, which soaks off the oils and then serves as a handy fire starter.

Tipi Walter
05-26-2018, 11:21
I commonly carry beaucoup cheese and esp goat cheese on my trips when I'm not in my vegan mode. I take all kinds---hard, soft etc. Here's a tip on cheese during the warmer months---

Remove cheese from store container/wrap and place on a couple paper towels stretched out lengthwise. Roll cheese in paper towels and place in ziploc. The paper towels will absorb all the oil---although after many weeks the paper tends to become embedded in the cheese itself.

I know of a backpacking guide for a school in Michigan who relished eating cheese mold---something to think about on a long trip with cheese. I carry cheese in the summer for 20-25 days with no problem.

kestral
05-26-2018, 13:14
Kerry gold brand cheese, Dubliner variety. Took this after much debate on a summer hike, forgot I decided to take it, then four days later remembered it in the bottom of my pack. It was delicious, not diminished at all. 6 days in mountains in August, 80 degrees, yummy. Normally cheese is a first eaten item for me, was a very pleasant surprise. :!)

Leo L.
05-26-2018, 13:28
Once or twice a year we make a holiday trip to a part of our country that is next to Swizerland.
There's a famous cheese factory which is co-operated by local farmers and we buy many kilos of delicious hard cheese of various types.
They slice it into portions the size we tell them and vacuum-seal every slice.
We keep this vacuum sealed cheese slices for many months, down in the cool cellar (not in the fridge).
It ends up as my favorite hiking staple and usually I'd carry several slices, sometimes for weeks through the desert.
Never had one go bad. Only downside is, that the cheese starts to leak oil in hot environment. Usually I help by dipping the oils with bread.
And I finish a certain slice as fast as possible (within a few days) as soon as the vacuum is broken.

Slo-go'en
05-26-2018, 13:43
I've wrapped my hard cheese in brown paper bag to absorb the oil. Paper bag won't stick to the cheese as much as a paper towel would. Cheese cloth works very well for some reason too :) The main thing is not to have it sealed up in a plastic bag, you need to let it breath.

Tipi Walter
05-26-2018, 13:51
I just wish I could eat cheese without my head getting stuffed and my sinuses clogging up. When you take cheese out of a vegetarian's diet there's not much left to eat that's worthwhile or interesting.

Lyle
05-26-2018, 18:30
One more thing that I didn't see mentioned. Mold on cheese is not a sign that the entire block is spoiled. Simply cut/scrape the mold off and enjoy the rest.

I usually carry Kraft, extra sharp cheddar. Lasts a long time, just wipe the oil off and enjoy. In really hot weather, it may get a bit soft and slightly rubbery, still good to eat. Store it towards the center of your pack to allow it to be insulated during the day, or use evaporation to help keep it cool, wrap it in a wet bandanna and keep in an outside, mesh pocket. Re-moisten the bandanna throughout the day. Never tried this, but might work to keep it looking more pristine.

I don't bother with keeping it pristine, just wipe off the oil, cut off the mold and don't worry any further.

Elaikases
05-26-2018, 19:27
Cheese is a way of preserving milk for long periods of time. It'll be fine. Harder cheeses will last longer than softer ones; some, like cheddar, may get a little "oily".
Parmesan, Romano, Assagio....all are good choices.

Heck, for six days, even cream cheese will last.

hikermiker
05-27-2018, 07:47
Wrap it in cheesecloth.

rocketsocks
05-27-2018, 08:20
Kerry gold brand cheese, Dubliner variety. Took this after much debate on a summer hike, forgot I decided to take it, then four days later remembered it in the bottom of my pack. It was delicious, not diminished at all. 6 days in mountains in August, 80 degrees, yummy. Normally cheese is a first eaten item for me, was a very pleasant surprise. :!)i love Kerry gold, nice an creamy taste, also Beemster...goot stuffs!

methodman
05-27-2018, 08:37
l love cheese. on everything! Just saying.

GaryM
05-27-2018, 21:49
Awesome especially with a stick of pepperoni or summer sausage!

Dogwood
05-27-2018, 23:46
Hard aged cheese often with a rind BUT NOT ALWAYS with low moisture(aging reduces moisture content) made from pasteurized milk(cow, sheep, goat...) tend to keep from bacteria the longest. Some cheese with a rind that could last long in a backpack I still wouldn't take backpacking because they'd smell so bad especially in hot weather. With age and other environmental factors taste can and usually does change though despite if it could be eaten. How long cheese last depends also on if it has been cut. Stay away from soft and raw milk cheese for the longest lasting . I have eaten raw goat milk cheeses 8-9 days into fall hikes though. Ive also tried but only twice a hard crumbly Gargonzola made from raw milk on two different late fall cooler hikes that lasted more than 7 days. Some goat cheese is hard while some is Brie like. Go for the hard goat and sheep cheese if you have sensitivity to cow milk cheeses. Asiago, Gouda, Hard cheddar, Manchego(sheep, lasts well), Parmesan, Pecorino Romano(sheep milk, last well), Capriano Romano(made from goat milk, lasts long)... Many parms have high salt content that helps preserve from going bad. Gouda is not always refrigerated and has a thick rind. many of these are widely available if you look beyond the WallYworld

https://thesummitregister.com/backpacking-with-cheese/

Berserker
05-29-2018, 12:19
As mentioned in a bunch of the posts above I also carry hard sharp cheddar, usually Cabots because that's what I can easily find around me. I don't know how long it "stays ok" because I always eat it before it goes bad. I've had a block out in the heat for over a week, and it was still fine after that.

A couple of other suggestions. First off, if you don't want to carry a block some manufacturers (such as Cabots) also sell sliced cheese. If you are paranoid, another option is freeze dried cheese. I've had the stuff from Packit Gourmet, and it's freakin awesome. It's shredded so it's nice to put in hot food where it will rehydrate and melt. It also tastes surprisingly good right out of the bag. It's crunchy like potato chips, which seems weird at first, but then you realize it's pretty darn good.

nsherry61
05-29-2018, 13:12
. . . First off, if you don't want to carry a block some manufacturers (such as Cabots) also sell sliced cheese. .
Yeah, but after a few days in hot weather the slices all become a block again. I love the ease of using sliced cheese (and meats for that matter), but on hot summer trips, I've given up using sliced cheese unless you get or put wax paper between all the slices.

TexasBob
05-29-2018, 13:56
l love cheese. on everything! Just saying.

I would eat dirt if it had cheese on it.

rocketsocks
05-29-2018, 17:45
Taco chips are nothing more than a vehicle, same with iceberg lettuce...it’s all about the blue cheese dressing!

Lyle
05-29-2018, 18:14
Pre-sliced cheese and meats do have a drawback. Every slice of the knife or slicer has the potential to introduce unwanted bacteria. A solid block only has six sides that were potentially contaminated. Sliced anything has many more exposed sides. Since you will be carrying it in less than ideal conditions, the potential for problems is increased.

The same applies to ground hamburger, and is why food safety folks always tell you to cook ground meat thoroughly, it is much more likely to be contaminated than a chunk of beef, or whatever.

TwoRoads
05-29-2018, 19:52
I usually go by lists of hard cheeses that don't require date marking. Here's one:

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/MDA_FOOD_DateMarkGuide_4_88280_7.5.pdf

TwoRoads
05-29-2018, 19:52
The list starts on page 2.

blw2
05-29-2018, 21:57
One more thing that I didn't see mentioned. Mold on cheese is not a sign that the entire block is spoiled. Simply cut/scrape the mold off and enjoy the rest.
I don't know where I either read or heard this... a very long time ago. Something about some molds, not all but some kinds that grow on food, that have some sort of spores or roots that penetrate much deeper than the stuff on the surface. Probably just a bunch of hearsay and bunk, i really don't know. Something to consider I suppose.

Odd Man Out
05-30-2018, 11:17
I would eat dirt if it had cheese on it.

When I'm hiking, pretty much everything has dirt on it.

Odd Man Out
05-30-2018, 11:21
I usually go by lists of hard cheeses that don't require date marking. Here's one:

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/MDA_FOOD_DateMarkGuide_4_88280_7.5.pdf

Interesting. Some of those (such as Havarti) are not very hard.
I was amused to see that even Mountain House meals have an expiration date, although the last one I saw was labeled "Good through Oct, 2046". That made me laugh.

Berserker
05-30-2018, 12:00
Yeah, but after a few days in hot weather the slices all become a block again. I love the ease of using sliced cheese (and meats for that matter), but on hot summer trips, I've given up using sliced cheese unless you get or put wax paper between all the slices.

Pre-sliced cheese and meats do have a drawback. Every slice of the knife or slicer has the potential to introduce unwanted bacteria. A solid block only has six sides that were potentially contaminated. Sliced anything has many more exposed sides. Since you will be carrying it in less than ideal conditions, the potential for problems is increased.
I've carried pre-sliced hard sharp cheddar in summer before with no issues, but caveat emptor...your mileage may vary.

Another option I forgot to mention is the individually wrapped smaller blocks of sharp cheddar that are made by Cabots and some other manufacturers. These are pretty nice because you are opening 1 serving at a time. I've gone to these recently when I don't carry the freeze dried stuff.

shelb
05-30-2018, 19:49
Many people have posted GREAT ideas! (hard/aged cheeses, those with wax coating, etc.).

This past winter, I went to "The Cheese Lady" - a store in Muskegon, Michigan - where they make dozens of their own cheeses. The owner's husband is a backpacker. She offered me numerous suggestions AND SAMPLES! of various cheeses that will hold up on the trail in the heat without refrigeration. I am SO EXCITED about the cheeses I will bring on my next trip - just bummed that I am extremely cautious about weight and that I don't mail-drop supplies (although the thought of these cheeses almost makes me want to start that!).

Perhaps, check in with your local cheese specialty shop if you have one....

saltysack
05-30-2018, 21:42
I've carried pre-sliced hard sharp cheddar in summer before with no issues, but caveat emptor...your mileage may vary.

Another option I forgot to mention is the individually wrapped smaller blocks of sharp cheddar that are made by Cabots and some other manufacturers. These are pretty nice because you are opening 1 serving at a time. I've gone to these recently when I don't carry the freeze dried stuff.

Where have you found the individual wrapped Cabot cheddar? I love their seriously sharp and always carry 1 or two blocks...never lasts more than a day or two especially if the dog is with me. He loves it as much as I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
05-30-2018, 23:30
One more thing that I didn't see mentioned. Mold on cheese is not a sign that the entire block is spoiled. Simply cut/scrape the mold off and enjoy the rest...

I don't know where I either read or heard this... a very long time ago. Something about some molds, not all but some kinds that grow on food, that have some sort of spores or roots that penetrate much deeper than the stuff on the surface. Probably just a bunch of hearsay and bunk, i really don't know. Something to consider I suppose.

Blue cheese varieties like Roquefort, Stilton, and Gorgonzola, etc get their veining throughout from mold that doesn't produce toxins. They arent the only cheese with mold though. Some blue cheese varieties and possibly other cheese are penetrated with small rods or needles to further allow the mold to propagate through the interior, obvious when the cheese is cut. Some molds on cheese do produce toxins. I recently found an interesting acid surface eaten appearing cheese called Milbenkäse or "mite cheese." Didn't like it but the surface has mites that eat into it...and when eating it you often eat the cheese mites.

Feral Bill
05-30-2018, 23:52
I just use single serving string, stick or similar cheese. Usually Tillamook cheddar"bites".
Always delicious.

Berserker
05-31-2018, 10:43
Where have you found the individual wrapped Cabot cheddar? I love their seriously sharp and always carry 1 or two blocks...never lasts more than a day or two especially if the dog is with me. He loves it as much as I.
I honestly don't remember as I haven't bought it in a while (been using the freeze dried stuff for the last couple of years), and may be confusing it with some other manufacturers individually wrapped snack size portions. I looked at the Cabot's site though, and it appears you can mail order it from their site.

QiWiz
05-31-2018, 13:44
Hard cheeses kept as cool as you can, deep in your pack.

rocketsocks
05-31-2018, 15:08
I suppose one could cube and rap with cheese clothe, then dip in red cheese wax.

http://www.cheesemaking.com/redcheesewax.html

H I T C H
06-08-2018, 11:59
Another +1 vote for the individual baby bells. Gouda is my favorite but harder to find.