PDA

View Full Version : Look for hollow aluminum tent pegs/stakes

Elaikases
05-26-2018, 19:24
Well, I sold my Mountain Hardwear Ghost UL3. The one change is that I swapped in some titanium tent stakes for the original Aluminum ones.

I actually like the Aluminum pegs better. They are hollow (folded) for greater strength for the weight and every time I've used them they came out of the ground with less soil clinging to the pegs.

So, I decided to buy some more and ... I can't find them for sale anywhere. The Mountain Hardwear site doesn't sell the pegs separately and amazon and other searches gets me a number of different styles of pegs (some in 7001 and some in 7025 Aluminum) and stakes, but none that are folded hollow metal pegs.

Probably a silly place to look to save a few grams. But I was wondering, in case anyone knows where they got them and where I could buy a few more.

Thanks.

Venchka
05-26-2018, 22:08
8 3/4” x 3/8” Easton stakes.
TarpTent supplies their tents with these stakes/pegs. They sell the stakes/pegs.
TarpTent.com.
I’ve used the Easton stakes exclusively since the 1990s. They work.
Wayne

Odd Man Out
05-26-2018, 23:35
Try aluminum gutter spikes from the hardware store.

HooKooDooKu
05-27-2018, 01:03
Probably a silly place to look to save a few grams.
Based on what I can find for specifications, the Easton stakes are NOT your lightest option.
Based on an old REI site, it claims their weight is 0.5 oz
The Big Agnes J Stakes are only 0.4 oz, and MSR Ground Hogs are 0.35 oz

If you really want light weight, the titanium shepard hooks at zpack are 0.19 oz

Of course the Easton pegs have the greater surface area and easy to clean. The one thing I hate about the MSR Mini ground hogs (which work very well) is that I use them in GSMNP where the ground is always a moist dirt and the Ground Hogs have three channels that have to be cleaned out. The J stakes by comparison only have one.

cmoulder
05-27-2018, 11:41
MDL has Easton Stakes (https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/easton-aluminum-nano-nail-stakes/).

Elaikases
05-27-2018, 19:51
Based on what I can find for specifications, the Easton stakes are NOT your lightest option.
Based on an old REI site, it claims their weight is 0.5 oz
The Big Agnes J Stakes are only 0.4 oz, and MSR Ground Hogs are 0.35 oz

If you really want light weight, the titanium shepard hooks at zpack are 0.19 oz

Of course the Easton pegs have the greater surface area and easy to clean. The one thing I hate about the MSR Mini ground hogs (which work very well) is that I use them in GSMNP where the ground is always a moist dirt and the Ground Hogs have three channels that have to be cleaned out. The J stakes by comparison only have one.

Thanks. I have Big Agnes stakes with my Copper Spur.

Appreciate the other thoughts.

Starchild
05-27-2018, 20:17
They also have carbon fiber stakes which are IIRC lighter and larger then Ti or Al.

Elaikases
05-28-2018, 13:08
They also have carbon fiber stakes which are IIRC lighter and larger then Ti or Al.

I've looked at some. The hollow aluminum were really, really light and I've really liked them in use.

Ah well, it looks as if they really are not available out there. I've learned something. Thanks all!

Ethesis
05-28-2018, 21:57
They tend to be a lot more expensive too, though.

But given the relative amount of money soentbon gear, not so much.

Ethesis
05-28-2018, 22:01
Sorex are back in stock:

http://www.rutalocura.com/Tent_Stakes.html

and Aliexpress has some that are too cheap to be real.

:)

as sold by a stateside vendor :

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/carbon-fiber-tent-stake/

Ethesis
05-28-2018, 22:03
Here they are direct from China:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32807232996.html

fiddlehead
05-28-2018, 22:37
Here they are direct from China:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32807232996.html

Thanks for that. I just ordered 6. They look great.

bigcranky
05-29-2018, 07:16
Thanks for the link to MDL for the Easton stakes. They've always been my favorites. and I could no longer find them locally or at REI kinds of places. I've been using titanium shepherds crooks lately, but they don't have as much holding power.

Slo-go'en
05-29-2018, 09:01
Considering the number of times I need to pound my stakes into the ground with a rock, something like the TI Shepherds crooks don't cut it.

I have an assortment of spikes, all of them found at campsites. They replaced all the spikes I've lost at campsites. The ones which work the best for me are "V" shaped. I have an Easton stake in the assortment and that pounds into the ground okay too.

Venchka
05-29-2018, 10:24
Thanks for the link to MDL for the Easton stakes. They've always been my favorites. and I could no longer find them locally or at REI kinds of places. I've been using titanium shepherds crooks lately, but they don't have as much holding power.
Post #2. TarpTent.com. You don’t need to buy one of Henry’s tents to get the stakes.
Wayne