PDA

View Full Version : Top of Georgia and Slackpacking

Elaikases
05-27-2018, 16:55
https://www.topofgeorgiahostel.com/shuttles

Ever since the original "slack pack Georgia" operation when to glamor destination and shuttles only for two months out of the year, I've been curious about how things have gone with Top of Georgia Hostel.

Free Shuttles: To & From Top of Georgia to / from both Unicoi Gap(Northbound AT mile 52.6) and Dicks Creek Gap (Northbound AT mile 69.3) for our paid reserved guests. Pickups are "On-Demand" (you call us for pick-up from the gap). Earliest pick-ups at 8:30am & latest at 6pm. Return Trips leave Top of Georgia at 8am and 9am daily for Dicks Creek Gap and 8am to Unicoi.

Free Shuttle: Free Shuttle: To / From the town of Hiawassee, GA - DAILY for our paid guests (the day that you check in). This "town shuttle" leaves Top of Georgia at 4pm daily and picks-up in town (and returns to Top of Georgia) daily at 6:20 at a designated spot in the middle of Hiawassee.

* NOTE: An additional 1pm shuttle run is added to the schedule March 1 to May 1 annually.

Shuttles for a Fee: for BOTH guests and non-guests - ranging as far south as the MARTA "North Springs" Station tram (that goes to/from Atlanta Airport) - to as far north as the Nantahala Outdoors Center. (But NOT between Feb. 15 and May 15).

Anyway, I'm looking at using them for part of a section hike this fall (I've got the time off blocked out even) with my wife and wondered if things were working out well enough for them that they would likely still be around then.

The general rates look good (https://www.topofgeorgiahostel.com/accommodations) but I didn't find the shuttle rates.

But it looked interesting and I was hopeful someone had more information.

Each time we section hike we try something new.

Thanks for any input.

Slo-go'en
05-27-2018, 21:29
Why not call or email them and ask?

Captain Blue
05-27-2018, 23:04
Why not call or email them and ask?

+1. Yes, call and ask. This was their policy as of last summer. A shuttle from Unicoi Gap to Hiawassee is worth the price of stay. Call other shuttlers and see what they are charge for this ride.

JC13
05-28-2018, 11:08
The shuttle rate seems to be based on how Bob is feeling from what I got a couple of years ago. YMMV

Elaikases
05-28-2018, 20:54
The shuttle rate seems to be based on how Bob is feeling from what I got a couple of years ago. YMMV

Thanks. Fair enough, really.

Maineiac64
05-28-2018, 21:20
TOG seems to be a pain in the flexibility they allow with shuttles versus when you stay over. I have seen their empty shuttle drive right by people trudging up the hill obviously heading to the hostel. There are also good lodging options not far in Hiawassee and Donald will get you anywhere needed at good reasonable rate, 772-321-0905.

Captain Blue
05-28-2018, 23:21
I have seen their empty shuttle drive right by people trudging up the hill obviously heading to the hostel.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. It was all a gentle downhill from Dick's Creek Gap to TOG hostel from what I recall. The shuttles ran ontime last summer. I give them credit for running the shuttles on a predictable schedule. If you snooze, you lose.

stephanD
05-29-2018, 08:24
Stayed there for three nights last year during a section hike from Newfound Gap to Amicalola State park. First night was for shower, laundry ,dinner and sleep. Second night was a zero and resupply in town. Third night was a slack packing from Unicoi Gap back to the hostel (19 miles, i think). Had a fabulous time and Bob is a great host. Reminded me of the Bearded wood hostel in Connecticut.

Maineiac64
05-29-2018, 09:16
I'm not sure what you mean by this. It was all a gentle downhill from Dick's Creek Gap to TOG hostel from what I recall. The shuttles ran ontime last summer. I give them credit for running the shuttles on a predictable schedule. If you snooze, you lose.

It is uphill, though not bad and not far, from the gap to the hostel. I saw their driver drop off a hiker at the gap and head back up right past a hiker that was a little ways up the road. The hiker wasn’t hitching so he was obviously going to the hostel. If you’re from TOG why would you just drive past? I picked him up myself and dropped him off at the hostel. The shuttle driver was just getting out of the van when I pulled up and let out the hiker.

Uncle Joe
05-29-2018, 12:38
Uphill from TOG to Dick's. Downhill to TOG. Been by there often. I have stood in the TOG driveway and watched cyclists in a race climb that hill towards Dick's. Perhaps Bob felt like it wasn't too far to walk. Doesn't hurt to stop, though.

Captain Blue
05-29-2018, 13:51
Downhill to TOG.

That's what I remember!

Maineiac64
05-29-2018, 15:27
That's what I remember!
Seemed uphill at the time, ;) my dang brain don’t have the recall it once did. It wasn’t Bob, he likely would’ve stopped.

shelb
05-30-2018, 20:07

I saw this two years ago; however, I also spoke to SEVERAL HIKERS who were VERY HAPPY with TOG ...

Emerson Bigills
05-30-2018, 22:00
I stayed at TOG at the end of Feb last year. I found Bob and his staff to be very knowledgeable and provide a good program for hikers, both thru and section. They are running a business and it seems like they have things set out on a schedule so everything gets done and hikers know what to expect. It seems a small group of folks find things to gripe about TOG, but I think it is a great stop.