PDA

View Full Version : Voluntary Layoff

Pony
05-30-2018, 16:59
So, my employer has offered a voluntary layoff for the next six weeks. If there are no volunteers, I may me involuntarily layed off. Trying to figure out if this is a blessing or a curse. On the one hand, I don't really want to be unemployed for half the summer. On the other hand... well, this is a hiking website so you all know what I'm thinking. Any thoughts?

gpburdelljr
05-30-2018, 17:12
Are there any benefits from the company for volunteering?

The Old Chief
05-30-2018, 17:20
I don't know all the ins and outs of unemployment benefits but it would seem to me that you would not be eligible for these benefits if you stopped working voluntarily. If you could arrange to be involuntarily layed off and draw benefits go for it and enjoy the hike.

egilbe
05-30-2018, 17:34
I don't know all the ins and outs of unemployment benefits but it would seem to me that you would not be eligible for these benefits if you stopped working voluntarily. If you could arrange to be involuntarily layed off and draw benefits go for it and enjoy the hike.

Normally, its not a voluntary layoff per se. A company will ask for people who are willing to be laid off if it comes to that. Some employers are willing to do that rather than laying off someone who needs the work.

Pony
05-30-2018, 18:03
Benefits are paid. Unemployment is paid. I just have to come back to work in six weeks.

Pony
05-30-2018, 18:05
I would be making less money, but I would be hiking.

soilman
05-30-2018, 18:15
Take a hike or do hook up with a trail crew and do some trail work.

randall_mcduberson
05-30-2018, 18:23

I approve this message

randall_mcduberson
05-30-2018, 18:24

I approve this message

4shot
05-30-2018, 18:29
Pony - we crossed paths on the AT whilst doing a thru hike (also had the pleasure of meeting soilman as well that year) several years ago. If you can make this happen real soon, looking for an experienced hiking partner for an unusual trip down here in the southern mountains. PM if interested. You have been working hard and deserve this break. Get out of the way of the people who need the paycheck worse than you do. Soilman, you are welcome too. Y'all can carpool together down here. And yes, I am being serious. This hike will be "lit" as the young folks say. (Although now that I know that word, the young folks probably aren't saying it anymore.;))

Epsilon>0
05-30-2018, 18:40
Look at it this way: Your employer has said to you, "Want to go hiking on company time? We'll pay you half-time to hike for six weeks." I'd jump at the offer, assuming that I knew that my job would still be there in six weeks.

Traveler
05-31-2018, 06:21
Look at it this way: Your employer has said to you, "Want to go hiking on company time? We'll pay you half-time to hike for six weeks." I'd jump at the offer, assuming that I knew that my job would still be there in six weeks.
It would not be the Company that is paying anyone at "half time". If a layoff notice is issued and relief applied for, the State Unemployment Compensation Fund is footing the bill, which employers pay into. Compensation benefits will require an application for relief and, depending on State rules, may allow a long period of time on relief before requiring anything of the benefit seeker, they may also require proof of job search with periodic visits to the Unemployment Office to continue benefits, making long absences a problem. Following the financial collapse of 2008 many States found the Unemployment Funding from employers fell short, requiring taxpayers to carry a significant financial load. As a result, many States have tightened up their unemployment compensation rules in recent years that may make a long absence difficult.

Be sure to understand the State rules and policies of unemployment compensation if the plan is to take off for a few months. The "bird in the hand" cautionary bromide relative to having a job today and leaving it voluntarily with a promise of a job in 6-weeks after being issued a formal lay off notice should be considered carefully as well. Many people have lost out with such promises.

LittleRock
05-31-2018, 07:42
So, my employer has offered a voluntary layoff for the next six weeks. If there are no volunteers, I may me involuntarily layed off. Trying to figure out if this is a blessing or a curse. On the one hand, I don't really want to be unemployed for half the summer. On the other hand... well, this is a hiking website so you all know what I'm thinking. Any thoughts?
Sounds like a dream come true to me.

JPritch
05-31-2018, 09:10
Only you can answer for your situation. I know if it was me, as I'm 13+ years into my job, I'd be all over a nice summer vacation!!!

DuneElliot
05-31-2018, 10:48
I was laid off every summer for 7 years. I was in a situation I didn't need the money. As a lay-off, whether voluntary or not, you get benefits...and while not much they are still an income. The summers I got laid off were all amazing and I have so many memories from them...i say go for it if you can afford to do so.

stephanD
05-31-2018, 11:19
A layoff is a layoff. you should apply for unemployment.

Berserker
05-31-2018, 12:02

Benefits are paid. Unemployment is paid. I just have to come back to work in six weeks.

I would be making less money, but I would be hiking.
Ummmmm...so let me get this straight. You are being asked to leave work for 6 weeks while still being paid some percentage of your normal wages and keeping full benefits, and you'll have a job to go back too? If you are in a financial position to do so then go for it. It sounds like you may be forced to anyway, and if that's the case you'll likely be perceived as a "team player" for volunteering. There's of course other ways this could play out in a negative manner, so you have to make the call based on everything you know.

My company has been doing something similar for a couple of years now due to lulls, and I've had a couple of months off so far. It was pretty dang nice.

rocketsocks
05-31-2018, 15:15
Lay-offs have always been a part of my work career, that’s when we’d go on vacations...go for it you can afford to.

Old Grouse
05-31-2018, 16:53
But as Traveler said above, technically you're supposed to be available for and looking for work while laid off, even if it's temporary. Make sure you don't get your a** in a sling while out hammocking in the woods. ....

Longboysfan
06-01-2018, 09:18

Take a hike - say you tried to be employed as a trail maintenance person.

rocketsocks
06-01-2018, 10:27
But as Traveler said above, technically you're supposed to be available for and looking for work while laid off, even if it's temporary. Make sure you don't get your a** in a sling while out hammocking in the woods. ....in some cases when unemployment is temporary, one doesn’t have to seek work, but I’m not sure what or who determines that status.

Pony
06-01-2018, 14:26
Well, I guess it wasn't in the cards. I made it through today's lay offs. Turns out my skills are needed right now so I probably wouldn't have been allowed to volunteer anyway. Never thought being a good employee could ruin my life. :p

Pony
06-01-2018, 14:33
Pony - we crossed paths on the AT whilst doing a thru hike (also had the pleasure of meeting soilman as well that year) several years ago. If you can make this happen real soon, looking for an experienced hiking partner for an unusual trip down here in the southern mountains. PM if interested. You have been working hard and deserve this break. Get out of the way of the people who need the paycheck worse than you do. Soilman, you are welcome too. Y'all can carpool together down here. And yes, I am being serious. This hike will be "lit" as the young folks say. (Although now that I know that word, the young folks probably aren't saying it anymore.;))

Must say, I'm intrigued. Unfortunately it looks like I'm still employed. Only in the hiking community can one recieve so much support for the prospect of unempyment. Ha ha.

P.s. while I'm sure we met in 2010, I'm still drawing a blank???

DuneElliot
06-01-2018, 14:55
But as Traveler said above, technically you're supposed to be available for and looking for work while laid off, even if it's temporary. Make sure you don't get your a** in a sling while out hammocking in the woods. ....

That actually depends on a few things...like a "job attached" status. I wasn't required to look for work for the 12 weeks I was laid off (that was the limit) because I had a job to go back to (they do confirm this).

Old Grouse
06-01-2018, 17:12
Agreed, there are exceptions and differences between jurisdictions. There are many instances of employers who, as their needs change, call an employee back sooner than expected. And if he or she isn’t available, the employer reports it to the state labor dept. The point to be taken from Traveler’s warning and my own two cents is that, rather than blithely assuming you can go off and play while receiving a check, it’s better to know the rules that apply to you.