PDA

View Full Version : Switchbacks from Ash Gap to Roan Mountain

wren again
05-31-2018, 07:16
About 10 years ago I did my first section hike from Hot Springs to Damascus. The climb from Ash Gap to the top of Roan Mountain was a challenge. I am going back to that area this summer, and see that switchbacks have been created there. What is the resulting increase in mileage from Ash Gap to the top of Roan Mountain? Thank you!

map man
05-31-2018, 08:20
The distance between Hughes Gap and Roan High Knob Shelter was 3.3 miles in my 2005 Databook and is 5.1 in 2018 according to ATDist.com. From Ash Gap to Roan High Knob Shelter was 1.5 miles in 2005 but ATDist doesn't help with the 2018 mileage since it doesn't list Ash Gap as a data point. Maybe someone with a 2018 edition of the AT Companion or AWOL Guide can chime in with that 2018 mileage.

Slo-go'en
05-31-2018, 10:02
The switchbacks aren't very long, but there are a bunch of them. I'd guess they added 1/2 mile at the most. And really ruined that part of the trail IMOHO.

soilman
05-31-2018, 11:38
The distance between Hughes Gap and Roan High Knob Shelter was 3.3 miles in my 2005 Databook and is 5.1 in 2018 according to ATDist.com. From Ash Gap to Roan High Knob Shelter was 1.5 miles in 2005 but ATDist doesn't help with the 2018 mileage since it doesn't list Ash Gap as a data point. Maybe someone with a 2018 edition of the AT Companion or AWOL Guide can chime in with that 2018 mileage.

According to the AT Companion it is 2.1 miles from Ash Gap to Roan High Knob shelter.

soilman
05-31-2018, 11:42
The switchbacks aren't very long, but there are a bunch of them. I'd guess they added 1/2 mile at the most. And really ruined that part of the trail IMOHO.

The trail would have eventually been ruined without the switchbacks. With the amount of traffic that section receives and the steep grade the original trail was unsustainable.

Slo-go'en
05-31-2018, 12:37
The trail would have eventually been ruined without the switchbacks. With the amount of traffic that section receives and the steep grade the original trail was unsustainable.

It had already eroded down to bedrock. The damage had been done. A few water bars could have been added if needed. There really wasn't any reason to put in switchbacks other then to "make it easier".

map man
05-31-2018, 19:07
According to the AT Companion it is 2.1 miles from Ash Gap to Roan High Knob shelter.
Thanks, soilman. So between 2005 and 2018 the distance from Ash Gap to Roan High Knob Shelter has lengthened by six tenths of a mile. And the distance from Hughes Gap to Ash Gap has lengthened by 1.2 miles.

Captain Blue
06-03-2018, 21:02
It had already eroded down to bedrock. The damage had been done. A few water bars could have been added if needed. There really wasn't any reason to put in switchbacks other then to "make it easier".

It didn't erode down to bedrock. It eroded down to rocks. You can't put water bars in a severly U-shaped trail. The old trail was almost a foot under grade at places. The switchbacks are a major improvement.