PDA

View Full Version : TRT - bear / car resupply question

jefals
06-01-2018, 15:27
As this trail is divided into roughly 20 mile sections, each coming out to a parking lot, I'm considering using my car for resupply storage. I could foil packs of dehydrated or freeze-type food as well as granola bars in my trunk. I can use Uber or cabs to get back to my car, move the car to the next section, etc.
Someone mentioned I might need to worry about the bears breaking into the car for that food. What do y'all think?

Venchka
06-02-2018, 08:27
No clue about bear activity out there.
I would suggest flipping your Uber/cab and parking scheme. Park at the end of the section and use Uber or a cab to go to the start of the section. That way transportation is always waiting for you at the end of the section.
Have a great hike.
Wayne

nsherry61
06-02-2018, 08:37
There are a few horror stories of bears damaging cars somewhere on earth. Not something to be concerned with in my book. I'd suggest your car is a pretty effective bear proof container and no more appealing to the bear than any other car, likely with food in it, sitting in the same parking lot. Have you ever had problems with bears attacking your car when parked in the woods? I've never had it happen, seen it happen, heard of it happening to anyone I know or heard of anyone I know that has seen it happen. . . that being said, I bet there's a youtube video of it. . . uh, yeah (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tevP2hWoAh8) . . . make sure you care isn't a convertible!

TNhiker
06-02-2018, 09:51
there have been a number of cars that bears have entered in the gatlinburg area (at least one this year as well)...

this last one tore the door open and shredded the inside of the car pretty well......

according to the owner, she left some french fries in the car.....

Venchka
06-02-2018, 11:17
Never confuse a place like Gatlinburg with the real world.
Fresh from a trip to GTNP, YNP and the Black Hills I can offer some insight into wildlife foraging habits.
Bears, bison, moose, pronghorns, etc. feed where they have access to food AND water. Sometimes to the point of feeding in the water.
Don’t leave open containers of food in sight inside the car.
You’ll be fine.
Wayne

jefals
06-02-2018, 20:34
There are a few horror stories of bears damaging cars somewhere on earth. Not something to be concerned with in my book. I'd suggest your car is a pretty effective bear proof container and no more appealing to the bear than any other car, likely with food in it, sitting in the same parking lot. Have you ever had problems with bears attacking your car when parked in the woods? I've never had it happen, seen it happen, heard of it happening to anyone I know or heard of anyone I know that has seen it happen. . . that being said, I bet there's a youtube video of it. . . uh, yeah (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tevP2hWoAh8) . . . make sure you care isn't a convertible!
I think they warn about it a lot at Yosemite. And there are bears up around this area (Tahoe). I've spent about 3 weeks hiking in the area and haven't come across s bear yet, tho there are plenty of youtubes with folks on the TRT encountering bears.
Again, the kind of food, tho, I'm talking about is unopened mountain house type stuff -- but also unopened granola bars. Let's say I keep it all in opsaks as an extra precaution....

jefals
06-02-2018, 20:38
Never confuse a place like Gatlinburg with the real world.
Fresh from a trip to GTNP, YNP and the Black Hills I can offer some insight into wildlife foraging habits.
Bears, bison, moose, pronghorns, etc. feed where they have access to food AND water. Sometimes to the point of feeding in the water.
You’ll be fine.
Wayne
Well, there could be as many bears up around Tahoe as in Gatlinburg. And , tho I didn't nention water, I would normally have that in the trunk as well. So maybe I should just use the car to drive to town for resupply...

jefals
06-02-2018, 20:40
You’ll be fine.
Wayne
Alright, bud. I'll be expecting you to replace that Hyundai should anything go wrong! :rolleyes: