PDA

View Full Version : Are you able to forget life at home?

Gorgiewave
06-01-2018, 17:20
All those of you who've done long hikes, do you forget life back at home? I mean work, mortgage, evan family. Do you want to forget about all that when hiking?

I've got a few things going on right now that are getting me seriously down and I'd like to forget about it all. I don't mean literally run away from something, as in debt or something, just general unhappiness.

Or does time alone force you to think more about stuff than when you're "busy."

ghostman74
06-01-2018, 17:32
All those of you who've done long hikes, do you forget life back at home? Nope.

I mean work, mortgage, evan family. Do you want to forget about all that when hiking?

This seems to be a prime mover for a lot of thru-hikers. For me, when I got back into backpacking, I was using the time to figure out a lot of things that were going on back home. For some, they either use the time that way, or they try to escape everything temporarily. Some even try to escape permanently. Most folks seem to somewhere on the spectrum of having fun and escapism. So having these thoughts seem to fall in with the definition of “normal”.

I've got a few things going on right now that are getting me seriously down and I'd like to forget about it all. I don't mean literally run away from something, as in debt or something, just general unhappiness.

Maybe this can help. For folks that want to escape, whatever means is used... backpacking, driving, sports, drugs, etc. ... eventually they have to face the situation. If getting out in the woods is the way you do face the situation? The do it. If getting out in the woods is how you try to get out of a bad situation, that situation will be waiting for you when you get back. There’s generally no harm in using the time in the woods to figure out how to cope with it when you get back, though. I used to bring books, a journal and pencil. It gave me time to read about other people dealing with similar situations, journal my thoughts, and reflect on them. Then when I got back my head was generally clear to tackle the situation. Your results may vary.

No matter what... do what works for you. Hike your own hike.

Hike on!

Ghost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shelb
06-01-2018, 18:02
Long hikes provide some respite for me - but not avoidance. I still reflect on the problems; however, they do not seem as immediate, and I can look at them a bit more objectively and develop a plan regarding how to tackle them upon my return...

Starchild
06-01-2018, 18:22
If you do it right it is your life, your home. You remember those back off trail, yes, but you are in the right place and at the right time.

jefals
06-01-2018, 18:42
that's one reason I can't do hikes longer than about 3 weeks. Start missin the grandkids too much!

peakbagger
06-01-2018, 19:23
I think things have changed with technology, looks like these days hikers are far more prone to be in contact with home via technology.

Dogwood
06-01-2018, 21:01
The majority of the repeat offender LD hikers, "livin' the LD hiking life" I know, myself included, aren't seeking to run away from commitments and personal responsibility or their non hiking life. Quite the contrary. They interconnect their hiking and non hiking lives. Some aspects of "home life" can and often do fade into the grey background as a new home LIFE with new aspects are adapted to...the life of a traveler, trail life, even if it is only truly "long(er) term" temporary.

The escapism mis-labeling is a misconception often based on different people having different goals and values with people judging others through a narrowed sometimes intolerant framework of their own values, goals, culturalization, sense of Nationalism, socioeconomic status, and processes of prioritization. Repeat LD hikers generally are not in the habit of incessant worrying or being fearful either on or off trail. Therefore, they generally aren't LD hiking to get away from these possible unnecessary stressful aspects of "at home life"... if that's what's meant by forgetting life back home. They aren't so much into escapism...vegging out from life...but living LIFE more fully... as they define it. They tend to intentionally embrace different goals, goals that sometimes, and often, confront cultural or other norms. They can't be conveniently neatly categorized as "being in a transitional phase" either as some have the habit of saying.

Almost all those who opt to be regular LD hikers I've known, including myself, rank very high as being self actualized. https://www.verywellmind.com/characteristics-of-self-actualized-people-2795963 These 9 Characteristics of Self Actualized People aptly apply to long time regular LD hikers.

It takes commitments to creativity, organization, personal responsibility, prioritizing of goals, and adaptability to live and think unconventionally at a personally reasonable standard of living(at least for myself). Don't expect to LD hike regularly as a vehicle to escape yourself or life's personal issues! As said, wherever you go there you are. Consider hiking as a vehicle to perhaps more soberly direct LIFE with intention.

rocketsocks
06-02-2018, 05:37
“Turn on tune in drop out”

MuddyWaters
06-02-2018, 05:48
Nothing i need to forget at home.

You cant run from problems

Work....i keep compartmentalized.
I rarely think about work when i walk out door.
I used to be in plant operations, it was 24-7 responsibility.
I gave that career track up....for my time, my kids lives, and peace of mind.

illabelle
06-02-2018, 05:54
A backpack trip, whether it's a weekend, or months long, has two elements that help with the "problems back home" situation. Time and Distance.
Time, uninterrupted by work, chores, TV, etc. When you're walking for hours each day, you have the luxury of thinking things through to their conclusion.
Distance, separation from the problem and people associated with it. Distance can give you a perspective you might not have at home.

On the other hand, the change of scenery and the never-ending task of watching where you put your feet and watching for blazes can be a welcome distraction from the problems. Just walk and let your head fill up with images of trees and clouds and dirt and rocks - sorta crowds out the negativity if you let it.

rocketsocks
06-02-2018, 06:17
“Turn on tune in drop out”whoops, forgot to add a :rolleyes:

garlic08
06-02-2018, 07:29
I'll add my "no" to the chorus. I love my family and friends, and am proud of my work, and would never forget them.

When I leave on a hike, I often "dedicate" the effort of the hike to someone in my mind at that time, perhaps someone who's ailing and couldn't join me.

Tipi Walter
06-02-2018, 08:18
It should be: "When you're at home, do you forget life back in the woods??"

There's another spectrum of human beings who hike and backpack and live out all the time---people like Christine Thuermer aka German Tourist and others. Then there are scores of American individuals who live outdoors 24/7; in tents or tipis or wall tents or wigwams or yurts or whatever else. No electricity, no running water, few to zero bills etc. Their home is where they hike.

The few hours a week they may have to work for cash---folding money---are hours spent when they are thinking about their homes in the woods.

Crossup
06-02-2018, 09:00
Well said.
I would just add that the simple trail life has its attractions but also helps me appreciate the trade offs we make to have comfort, transportation and support from family and friends. For me its a pretty short step while on the trail to really understand what it would be like to be cold, alone, isolated and maybe hungry- this is of course an illusion, on the AT at least, as you are never really far from civilization and all that it means.

A backpack trip, whether it's a weekend, or months long, has two elements that help with the "problems back home" situation. Time and Distance.
Time, uninterrupted by work, chores, TV, etc. When you're walking for hours each day, you have the luxury of thinking things through to their conclusion.
Distance, separation from the problem and people associated with it. Distance can give you a perspective you might not have at home.

On the other hand, the change of scenery and the never-ending task of watching where you put your feet and watching for blazes can be a welcome distraction from the problems. Just walk and let your head fill up with images of trees and clouds and dirt and rocks - sorta crowds out the negativity if you let it.

capehiker
06-02-2018, 13:07
On my thru hike, I had a girlfriend who cried on every phone call and made my life miserable and instilled a sense of guilt for doing what I dreamt of long before I met her. She was no longer my girlfriend by Fontana.

My current girlfriend is the exact opposite and tells me not to call/text her when I’m out unless it’s an emergency. She gets what it means to have a passion as she has hers. I’ve learned to leave work at work and I live a very simple and drama free life now. When I get into the woods, I can leave the home life behind but I often find myself thinking of adventures I want to take my gf on.

Nodust
06-02-2018, 13:46
I’ve done a few two week 200 mile hikes. Even on that short of a hike I get to the point where all I think about is where to sleep, poop, and get water.

Work will feel light years away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rocketsocks
06-02-2018, 20:14
If ya gotta forget home to go hike...better get your livin’ right! Dosent have to be either or, like many things in life...balance, ying and yang, and all that schtuff.

Davem
06-09-2018, 23:51
It takes me about a week to get past that and then I’m good as long as I don’t hear any problems from home.

shelb
06-10-2018, 21:34
I have only done up to 3 weeks. I don't totally forget life at home; however, I do "destress" from the issues there!

evyck da fleet
06-10-2018, 22:01
I think about home when I hit a town for resupply. I’ll usually call or text someone to say I’m alive and there’s the whole check to make sure the bills are paid. But it’s brief. Sometimes it’s nice to reach out but when I’m gone I’m gone until I’m back.

Now with all the time alone to think home does pop into my head occasionally but there’s very little I can change about it while I’m on the trail. Yes having everything in order before I go with a plan when I get back makes it real easy to think about something else like the noises or lack thereof around me.

lucky luke
06-11-2018, 01:27
when i am out hiking for a longer period of time my reality melts down to 3 trains of thought:

what will i eat today? includes frequent changes in the planned menu, about one change every 20 mins.

how will the weather be during the day? includes bad fantasies about getting rained on 20 minutes before i get to the shelter.

how far will i get and where will i sleep? includes frustrating correction of false assumptions about todays speed and the many miles hiked, after passing signs with mileage data on them.

all the rest melts into a mass of undefinable grey somewhere in the very back of my brain.

:-? i did read somewhere in a journal that thruhikers think about sex all day long. don´t know if that is true. but that might also help to foget life at home....:confused:

Old Hiker
06-11-2018, 10:45
All those of you who've done long hikes, do you forget life back at home? I mean work, mortgage, evan family. Do you want to forget about all that when hiking?

Yes, I DID want to forget all of it so I could concentrate on getting up the Trail and finishing. However, because of technology and worry, I called or texted home almost every day. I also texted friends and family members to show where I was so they could follow along on the maps and data books I gave them. I was VERY happy when I would get texts back with encouragement, etc. for the "problems" I had on the Trail.

I was/am in the same boat with "general unhappiness". I know what is causing it - I have no control over it. It was REALLY bringing me down, as I'm the type of person who HATES not being able to control my life. Unfortunately and probably, the "general unhappiness" may STILL be there when you get back. However, the experiences on the Trail MAY - only MAY - help in coping with problems. I learned to let stuff go. I learned to push back instead of rolling over and taking crap. I'm still unhappy, but I realize I'm blessed and I'm trying to see all my blessings.

Heh. Gotta smile. After 500 miles or so, the ONLY thing I could think about was how idiotic the placement of the Trail seemed to be. Oh, my.

Looking back after 2 years, I can see a LOT of things that were awesome and intense. I look at my Trail Journal online and remember THAT day and the days around it.

I am glad I got the second chance to complete the hike and I'm glad I completed it. Take the chance. What is the WORST that can happen with the situation at home?

nate.2346
06-18-2018, 20:37
It's like scuba diving, go under to see all the wonder during the hike then come back to the surface for air revitalized.

Grampie
06-18-2018, 23:01
Quite a few thru-hikers end up leaving the trail because of problems back home. More so today with the large use of cell phones.
When I thru-hiked my wife assured me that she would take care of the home front and I could leave the hiking to me..
I would talk to my wife every 5-6 Days. I would assure that I was O.K. And she never told me about problems back home. Her attitude really helped me to have a successful thru.

Dogwood
06-18-2018, 23:46
Quite a few thru-hikers end up leaving the trail because of problems back home. More so today with the large use of cell phones.
When I thru-hiked my wife assured me that she would take care of the home front and I could leave the hiking to me..
I would talk to my wife every 5-6 Days. I would assure that I was O.K. And she never told me about problems back home. Her attitude really helped me to have a successful thru.

Good pt. Emoted info overload about home lives can derail a hike. That's great Grampie you acknowledge and appreciate how your wife contributed to the success of the hike.

Longboysfan
06-19-2018, 13:23
I'm tuned into the trail most times.
In camp busy getting set up or broken down and eating.

Not a lot of spare brain cycles for outside world unless texting short messages.

I can never seen to see how people have time to write journals.

fastfoxengineering
06-28-2018, 17:03

Not a lot of spare brain cycles for outside world unless texting short messages.

I can never seen to see how people have time to write journals.Agreed. I'm thru hiking now. I kept a journal on the LT. People always ask me what I'm planning/thinking about while hiking. Well... On the AT. I spend half of my day thinking about where my left foot is going and the other half the right foot.

The younger crowd is obsessed with their youtube, Instagram, and Snapchat accounts. Hell,
even the 30 year olds are too.

And I'm at the Doyle drinking cheap beer wondering how much further I'm gonna hike today.

My next trail is going to be a more remote trail to disconnect from the AT lol.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Another Kevin
06-29-2018, 10:23

For some of us, writing the journals, or taking the photographs, or making the videos, is a big part of the enjoyment. We're even willing to sacrifice mileage to do it. And some of my non-hiker friends like reading the journals and seeing the photos. (I don't do video.)

Then again, I do most of my logging in a paper notebook. I don't try to get anything organized on line until I'm in town. I have a little folding Bluetooth keyboard that I've been planning to try for journals - so that I don't have to decipher smudged pencil writing later. But I might just be too much of a dinosaur [1] to take to it.

I find that the really interesting journal posts - the ones that I like to go back and reread myself, sometimes - are ones where I also had to do research in town to connect what I saw on the trail to the broader world of natural and human history. But I suppose that doing the photography for Hiker sweat, alkali metals, and butterfly sex (https://dftscript.blogspot.com/2013/08/hiker-sweat-alkali-metals-and-butterfly.html) - or even jotting down the field notes on the behaviour - isn't what you guys had in mind by 'obsessed with YouTube, Instagram and SnapChat'.

[1] Bad metaphor. The dinosaurs never died out. They learnt to fly. But I suppose that I could be too much of a bird-brain to take to it.

Night Train
07-05-2018, 22:02
Yes, zero cares given.

Dogwood
07-06-2018, 01:02

For some of us, writing the journals, or taking the photographs, or making the videos, is a big part of the enjoyment. We're even willing to sacrifice mileage to do it. And some of my non-hiker friends like reading the journals and seeing the photos. (I don't do video.)...

I agree with Kev.

Even though I do like to write on trail in a WP paper Journal with a WP ink Space Pen it's easy enough to download a voice recognition app onto your device that edits to the written word to journal OR voice record your ideas, feelings, experiences. I like hearing my voice and voices because it let's me remember better and connect with the emotion I was feeling or that was shared by others. Writing and recalling recent experiences on trail relaxes me and lets me better appreciate what I'm doing, what I was feeling, and how I dealt with everything. Most times journaling is most timed for once in camp as I recall the day's experiences and what I've learned so it isn't that time consuming. During the day it's sound largely recording on video. Doesnt take the time assumed. Truly, hiking is not just about hiking. It's about living. And, if life is worth living in pursuit and achievement of making dreams(goals) a reality I choose to remember it - the good, bad, horrendous, and miraculous.

BuckeyeBill
07-06-2018, 09:54
I agree with Kev.Even though I do like to write on trail in a WP paper Journal with a WP ink Space Pen it's easy enough to download a voice recognition app onto your device that edits to the written word to journal OR voice record your ideas, feelings, experiences. I like hearing my voice and voices because it let's me remember better and connect with the emotion I was feeling or that was shared by others. Writing and recalling recent experiences on trail relaxes me and lets me better appreciate what I'm doing, what I was feeling, and how I dealt with everything. Most times journaling is most timed for once in camp as I recall the day's experiences and what I've learned so it isn't that time consuming. During the day it's sound largely recording on video. Doesnt take the time assumed. Truly, hiking is not just about hiking. It's about living. And, if life is worth living in pursuit and achievement of making dreams(goals) a reality I choose to remember it - the good, bad, horrendous, and miraculous.

I am a page turner who enjoys the written word. Years from now when the technology used to create the electronic journal is obsolete the written journal will still be with us.

naturegirl90
07-06-2018, 16:06
I find being away from home to be great for adding perspective to "problems" at home that I am working on. It usually takes me about 30 days before I find that certain less important aspects of home start fading...

Dogwood
07-06-2018, 23:54
You live in Santa Barbara. Go out the door and look west to the Channel Islands or east to the Los Pedros NF, San Rafael, Santa Ynez, or Sierra Madre Mt ranges or the Dick Smith or San Rafael Wildernesses. Breathe. Look around. Walk down to the pier. Hike up to the SB Botanical garden. Get an early walk around the SB Mission on the way. Problems don't seem as big in SB. :D