PDA

View Full Version : Art Loeb Trail conditions during summer.....

saltysack
06-02-2018, 09:23
Thinking I’ll drag the wife on trail for a leisurely 3-4 day trip in NC...I’ve had my eye on the ALT. Any ALT recommendations appreciated....water, logistics, conditions, temperatures, bugs etc.

Thanks....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNhiker
06-02-2018, 09:48
if you camp in the shining rock area----you will need a bear canister......

saltysack
06-02-2018, 10:18
if you camp in the shining rock area----you will need a bear canister......

Thx...any maps you recommended? How long is the canister section? Usually use guthook but assume no app, I see there is a pocket profile map looks similar to one I used on FHT.

TNhiker
06-02-2018, 10:21
the canister section is not that long from what i remember------maybe ten ish miles? i forget.....

its been a while since ive looked at my map collection but i think i was just using (and i was not doing all of art loeb----just a small part of it)-----the NGS map would work..

there are some confusing intersections that are not signed.......

and maybe try google for maps...............i seem to recall a really good one that shows the intersections...

saltysack
06-02-2018, 10:50
the canister section is not that long from what i remember------maybe ten ish miles? i forget.....

its been a while since ive looked at my map collection but i think i was just using (and i was not doing all of art loeb----just a small part of it)-----the NGS map would work..

there are some confusing intersections that are not signed.......

and maybe try google for maps...............i seem to recall a really good one that shows the intersections...

Thx!

johnnybgood
06-02-2018, 11:00
I've had researched this hike a few years ago when an article was written on it by a hiking magazine, which escapes my memory. It mentioned how poorly marked the trail was, little foot traffic making it overgrown in areas during the summer months. Take a compass and guidebooks and wear sturdy boots was highly recommended.

johnnybgood
06-02-2018, 11:23
On the logistics - Art Loeb Shining Rock Loop ; 1st day : Leave Daniel Boone Boy Scout Camp hiking up Cold Mountain, camping near the summit - 5 miles. 2nd day : head south to Shining Rock Gap -5 miles to a campsite. 3rd day : Finish the loop by taking Investor GP trail from Shining Rock for half mile to trail 107. Continue back to a section of Boy Scout Camp , continuing to the bridge- 5 miles.