PDA

View Full Version : Where to go east coast this time of year?

Hikingjim
06-03-2018, 13:49
Have about a week off (unexpected!) in the next couple of weeks. I usually don't hike much in June... any suggestions for east coast hiking?

Don't want it to be in VA (done most of that recently), and don't really want to go into a ton of mud and bugs (VT, etc).

Was thinking TN might be an option..?
How are the whites this time of year? Have been Aug and early Oct

Thanks!

randall_mcduberson
06-03-2018, 15:05
I'm a huge fan of the Smokies. I may be biased because it is where I do a lot of my hiking, but all the same, it is worth a trip.

Cookerhiker
06-03-2018, 15:33
How about between Davenport Gap and Damascus? It's mostly high elevation >4,000' and you'll catch blooming bushes, especially the rhododendron on Roan Mountain.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Puddlefish
06-03-2018, 15:43
I'm just south of the Whites. I somehow missed applying DEET to one elbow today and got perhaps 300 mosquito bites over the course of two hours. I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose the elbow.

kestral
06-03-2018, 15:50
For Gods sake don’t come to central Florida. Went on a day hike yesterday and was consumed by black fly, became overheated, and was nearly killed by a trail biker. Sigh...

martinb
06-03-2018, 15:55
For Gods sake don’t come to central Florida. Went on a day hike yesterday and was consumed by black fly, became overheated, and was nearly killed by a trail biker. Sigh...
I know your pain. I'm usually done out there early May when the flies show up.

illabelle
06-03-2018, 17:26
Excellent choice!

How about between Davenport Gap and Damascus? It's mostly high elevation >4,000' and you'll catch blooming bushes, especially the rhododendron on Roan Mountain.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

ghostman74
06-03-2018, 17:39
Excellent choice!

Couldn’t agree more. Roan Mountain. Highest shelter on the AT. Also the views from the balds just north of Davenport Gap are amazing! There’s also the garden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghostman74
06-03-2018, 17:43
Couldn’t agree more. Roan Mountain. Highest shelter on the AT. Also the views from the balds just north of Davenport Gap are amazing! There’s also the garden.

Ugh. Adult-brain. I meant Roan High Knob south of Carver’s Gap.

johnnybgood
06-03-2018, 17:58
I too like the Roan section, especially...well heck, anytime of year. The elevation >4,000' offers breezes atop the open balds even on the warmest of days. Wear a wide brim vented hat for sun exposure.

stephanD
06-04-2018, 15:32
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.png Where to go east coast this time of year?

NJ is not a bad choice. you hike mostly on the Kittatinny ridge and there's places for swimming.:banana