PDA

View Full Version : Potato Soup

litetrek
06-03-2018, 14:05
Dehydrated scalloped potato mix from the grocery store makes a good base for potato soup. Add jerky or bacon bits, spinach leaves, corn, peas whatever. You can make a hearty chowder that really hits the spot afterv a day of hiking in cool weather.

Tipi Walter
06-03-2018, 14:43
The problem with this plan are the ingredients you have to ingest from the potato mix---

Ingredients Idaho Potatoes (Dried), Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Salt, Corn Starch, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Whey, Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup (Dried), Disodium Phosphate, Cheddar Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes) (Dried), Maltodextrin, Nonfat Milk, Monosodium Glutamate, Mono and Diglycerides, Dextrose, Celery (Dried), Paprika, Sodium Caseinate, Natural Flavor, Onion (Dried), Blue Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes) (Dried), Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (Soy and Wheat), Yellow Lakes 5 and 6 and Other Color Added, Disodium Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate. Freshness Protected By Sodium Bisulfite.

litetrek
06-03-2018, 14:47
True enough. Doesn't bother me

Slo-go'en
06-03-2018, 16:40
If all that extra stuff was bad for ya, I'd be dead by now...

HooKooDooKu
06-03-2018, 17:41
I like Idahoan Steak House Potato Soup. The soup only requires 5 minutes of simmering and thickens up pretty good.

stephanD
06-05-2018, 08:55
When you see the word "hydrogenated", you should avoid like the plague.

Tipi Walter
06-05-2018, 09:15
My point exactly.

HooKooDooKu
06-05-2018, 09:53
When you see the word "hydrogenated", you should avoid like the plague.
Yea, you want to stay away from that hydrogenated oxygen ;)

BTW, the potato soup I mentioned (https://idahoan.com/products/steakhouse-creamy-potato-soup/) does not have any "hydrogenated" anything in it... it's loaded with a whole bunch of other chemicals I might not be able to pronounce or spell... but hydrogenated isn't one of them.

zelph
06-05-2018, 20:16
The problem with this plan are the ingredients you have to ingest from the potato mix---

Ingredients Idaho Potatoes (Dried), Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Salt, Corn Starch, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Whey, Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup (Dried), Disodium Phosphate, Cheddar Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes) (Dried), Maltodextrin, Nonfat Milk, Monosodium Glutamate, Mono and Diglycerides, Dextrose, Celery (Dried), Paprika, Sodium Caseinate, Natural Flavor, Onion (Dried), Blue Cheese (Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes) (Dried), Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (Soy and Wheat), Yellow Lakes 5 and 6 and Other Color Added, Disodium Guanylate, Disodium Inosinate. Freshness Protected By Sodium Bisulfite.
All that stuff tastes so good :-)

litetrek
06-05-2018, 20:46
OK folks hike your own hike. We're all in charge of our own behavior. Next time I have a good backpacking recipe idea I like I'll keep it to myself.

TexasBob
06-05-2018, 21:26
OK folks hike your own hike. We're all in charge of our own behavior. Next time I have a good backpacking recipe idea I like I'll keep it to myself.

Don't let the food (or in this particular case - soup) Nazis bother you.

litetrek
06-05-2018, 22:04
Not bothering me. Just amazed at how our culture has transformed into being told what to do by everyone and everyone thinking they know more than everyone else. Its unbelievable. My idea for soup was a helpful tip to anyone who wanted it. My comment would be if you don't like the suggestion don't do it. The labels are there for everyone to read and if you can believe it I READ THEM and made my own decison. If you read a food label and are concerned about what's in the package then its your option not to eat it.

MuddyWaters
06-06-2018, 07:16
I had impacted wisdom tooth + 1 other failed root canal tooth that broke extracted last fall, so couldnt chew for a while. Potatoe soup became one of my fav things to eat. Lots of brands of mixes. All pretty instant. Lends itself well to hiking.

TexasBob
06-06-2018, 09:57
How long do you have to cook the potatoes before they re-hydrate and get tender? How much water do you use?

stephanD
06-06-2018, 10:26
"Freshness Protected By Sodium Bisulfite."

The irony...

stephanD
06-06-2018, 10:36
And to the point, nobody here is a "Food Nazi". Yes, we have a choice. We can let corporate America feed us whatever poisons they put in our food, or we cannot. that is our choice.

Crossup
06-06-2018, 10:52
The thing that amazes me is we have an entire culture which associates chemical names with bad nutrition. And no end of people willing to expound their beliefs(and wives tales) as wisdom.."we all know MSG is very bad for you"
Tell someone I have some L-ascorbic acid for your drink and people will freak out...same with most "chemicals" on food labels. Fact is most of the stuff listed in the soup above is either directly extracted from foods(and not modifed by the extraction process) and then added to this food or something modified from food extracts...like MSG which has such a bad reputation yet study after study fail to be able to scientifically reproduce the supposed side effects of MSG consumption.
It should be obvious that moderation is key with not being harmed by what you eat, take salt- you take too much it can kill you and in "reasonable" excess can cause health issues like hypertension...too little and its the same result with different issues.

I see the same thing with all sorts of things involved in camping...take permethrin for example. People read the Sawyer directions and immediately assume its evil, bad, dangerous toxic stuff- it kills bugs in minutes so it must be. But the full truth is its no different than the hundreds of products we use on our bodies for a myriad of reasons, get scabies or lice and your doctor may well proscribe a permethrin ointment (at 10x the concentration of Sawyers clothing treatment) to be applied directly on you skin for up to 12 hrs at a time. Such treatments are approved for 2 month old babies and pregnant women. So of course you dont want to eat it, douse your self in it when treating your clothes will do the job, but at the end of the day its nothing to treat like liquid death either.

Less exposure is always better and that goes for food additives too but get real, none of this stuff is going to kill you or guarantee cancer, disease or bad health

Dogwood
06-06-2018, 11:49
Thx for the idea Litetrek. Indeed, to each their own Foodie choices. I'm not consuming that stuff personally. I do know some of the ingredients are bad. Yes, different folks do know different degrees of knowledge than others on varying topics. I'm sure there are 7.6 billion people that know more or differently than me on an infinite number of topics. BUT, the idea is solid. Run with the idea and tweak as personally desired. I don't know why this is so hard nearly every time someone shares a recipe idea?

Personally, I use Frontier Soups Potato Leek Soup, the sliced rather than cubed potato version. I've seen two versions. Instead of making a soup I make it less watery by adjusting down the water added to it doing scalloped potatoes with leeks au gratin - trail style. This brand is widely available even in WallyWorlds. Add some other potatoes(potatoes are everywhere! even dehydrated sliced ones), cheese(if that's your thing), jerky, bacon bits, etc. I add powdered coconut milk and maybe some cheese and fresh scallion. Goes good with foil packets of tuna in EVOO too. It doesn't have as much sliced potatoes though as the boxed brands of Idahoan or Betty Crocker(crappy stuff from Betty Crocker anyway, IMO). If you look at those brands most of what you get is a glompy sauce designed in a food science laboratory of whatever not sliced potatoes either.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Homemade-In-Minutes-Idaho-Outpost-Potato-Leek-Soup-3-25-oz-Pack-of-8/17353123

Ingredients: Potato Cubes And Slices, Onions, Leeks, Celery, Scallions, Herbs.

If making a soup I get two soup meals out of one package.

orthofingers
06-06-2018, 11:50
Good response. Bruce Ames, who, I think, won a Nobel prize and came up with the Ames assay used to say that the toxic substances produced by plants to fight off pests and plant diseases are way more scary than the stuff we put on food plants.

Dogwood
06-06-2018, 12:09
Whatever you do be careful you dont crush the sliced potatoes or you'll be back to eating cheesy coarse mashed potatoes.

TexasBob
06-06-2018, 15:40
And to the point, nobody here is a "Food Nazi". ............

I guess food proselytizer be more accurate.

Definition of proselytize. proselytized; proselytizing. intransitive verb. 1 : to induce someone to convert to one's faith. 2 : to recruit someone to join one's party, institution, or cause.

Tipi Walter
06-06-2018, 16:36
I guess food proselytizer be more accurate.

Definition of proselytize. proselytized; proselytizing. intransitive verb. 1 : to induce someone to convert to one's faith. 2 : to recruit someone to join one's party, institution, or cause.

We're not the only ones proselytizing about certain foods. Not to say all dehydrated potatoes are junk food---but check out Lawton "Disco" Grinter's take on trail food---I think it's relevant in a discussion in the Cooking and Food forum---

". . . .2 pounds of gummy bears per day will get you nowhere on the trail. Nowhere but sick. Junk food is best avoided. We all know what junk food is too. Keep it out of your backpacks as much as possible. Focus on bringing foods with ingredients you can pronounce. Less is more! A popular brand of corn chips I take routinely on the trail contains 3 ingredients: corn, corn oil and salt. I don’t need the Google Translate app to understand what those ingredients are."

Check out the full thing here---
https://sectionhiker.com/trail-food-the-most-important-piece-of-gear-in-your-pack-by-lawton-disco-grinter/

shelb
06-06-2018, 16:56
Dehydrated scalloped potato mix from the grocery store makes a good base for potato soup. Add jerky or bacon bits, spinach leaves, corn, peas whatever. You can make a hearty chowder that really hits the spot after a day of hiking in cool weather.

Thank you for the idea! I look forward to trying it!

Last Call
06-06-2018, 18:35
Bear Creek instant soups are very good, they have a potato variety also....found at Kroger and Wal-mart.

TexasBob
06-06-2018, 19:37
We're not the only ones proselytizing about certain foods. Not to say all dehydrated potatoes are junk food---but check out Lawton "Disco" Grinter's take on trail food---I think it's relevant in a discussion in the Cooking and Food forum---

". . . .2 pounds of gummy bears per day will get you nowhere on the trail. Nowhere but sick. Junk food is best avoided. We all know what junk food is too. Keep it out of your backpacks as much as possible. Focus on bringing foods with ingredients you can pronounce. Less is more! A popular brand of corn chips I take routinely on the trail contains 3 ingredients: corn, corn oil and salt. I don’t need the Google Translate app to understand what those ingredients are."

Check out the full thing here---
https://sectionhiker.com/trail-food-the-most-important-piece-of-gear-in-your-pack-by-lawton-disco-grinter/

Quote from article you posted:

"You’ll notice that I have not gotten into a big discussion about what types of food to eat, how many calories/day, nutritional value, etc. There are volumes of books and web information on the specifics of “what to eat” and a discussion of that nature would create a post the length of Atlas Shrugged. And more importantly, “what to eat” is largely a matter of personal preference and taste."

You eat what you want and I will eat what I want but please don't criticize others choices just as they don't criticize yours.

kestral
06-06-2018, 21:02
What if all natural ingredients listed their chemical makeup?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/what-if-natural-products-came-with-a-list-of-ingredient-1503320184

I can’t pronounce these either! I am an Idahoian spud fan. Add lots of butter. Yummmmm

devoidapop
06-06-2018, 21:34
What if all natural ingredients listed their chemical makeup?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/what-if-natural-products-came-with-a-list-of-ingredient-1503320184

I can’t pronounce these either!

Big Nature at it again.

litetrek
06-06-2018, 22:29
How long do you have to cook the potatoes before they re-hydrate and get tender? How much water do you use?

Honestly I don't remember. I experimented on the countertop at home and remember that if you soak them for a while in the water it significantly cuts the cook time. Its an easy to determine recipe but you have to just try it at home first - you can guess and be pretty close on the first try.

litetrek
06-06-2018, 22:43
And to the point, nobody here is a "Food Nazi". Yes, we have a choice. We can let corporate America feed us whatever poisons they put in our food, or we cannot. that is our choice.
Agreed. However, labeling chemical ingredients in food as poisons is a bit inflammatory. The ingredients are based on science and science isn't always right in the long run. I don't believe that the people who work in corporate america food supply companies are evil bastards hoping to harm people. Intentionally killing off your customers is a pretty bad business model. ecoli and salmonella are both completely natural and you won't find either of them on any food label yet they kill unsuspecting people every year who think they are eating natural healthy foods.

litetrek
06-06-2018, 22:45
Turds are full of all natural ingredients but I would decline to eat one.

litetrek
06-06-2018, 22:54
Thx for the idea Litetrek. Indeed, to each their own Foodie choices. I'm not consuming that stuff personally. I do know some of the ingredients are bad. Yes, different folks do know different degrees of knowledge than others on varying topics. I'm sure there are 7.6 billion people that know more or differently than me on an infinite number of topics. BUT, the idea is solid. Run with the idea and tweak as personally desired. I don't know why this is so hard nearly every time someone shares a recipe idea?
Personally, I use Frontier Soups Potato Leek Soup, the sliced rather than cubed potato version. I've seen two versions. Instead of making a soup I make it less watery by adjusting down the water added to it doing scalloped potatoes with leeks au gratin - trail style. This brand is widely available even in WallyWorlds. Add some other potatoes(potatoes are everywhere! even dehydrated sliced ones), cheese(if that's your thing), jerky, bacon bits, etc. I add powdered coconut milk and maybe some cheese and fresh scallion. Goes good with foil packets of tuna in EVOO too. It doesn't have as much sliced potatoes though as the boxed brands of Idahoan or Betty Crocker(crappy stuff from Betty Crocker anyway, IMO). If you look at those brands most of what you get is a glompy sauce designed in a food science laboratory of whatever not sliced potatoes either.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Homemade-In-Minutes-Idaho-Outpost-Potato-Leek-Soup-3-25-oz-Pack-of-8/17353123

Ingredients: Potato Cubes And Slices, Onions, Leeks, Celery, Scallions, Herbs.

If making a soup I get two soup meals out of one package.

Nice. Your idea is even better. Mine was intended to be based on something you can buy just about anywhere including the dollar store - that was the point ...simple, cheap, lightweight, filling, widely available. My daughter gave me the trail name fancyfeast because I like to put a good meal on after a day of hiking. Granted the idea is a processed food but presumably backpackers are intelligent creative people who can think for themselves and do their own thing .... mine was just an idea intended to spark that backpacker creativity.

Dogwood
06-07-2018, 00:18
Nice. Your idea is even better. Mine was intended to be based on something you can buy just about anywhere including the dollar store - that was the point ...simple, cheap, lightweight, filling, widely available. My daughter gave me the trail name fancyfeast because I like to put a good meal on after a day of hiking. Granted the idea is a processed food but presumably backpackers are intelligent creative people who can think for themselves and do their own thing .... mine was just an idea intended to spark that backpacker creativity.

exactly, that's the way your OP was intended and that's what people IMO could and should be focused upon...not personal food politics. Not everyone always wants to hear a litany of unsolicited food criticisms at every given recipe.

After sayin that, Fancyfeast is a cat food. ;) I aint puttin that in any kind of potatoes...unless I go down in a plane in the Andes with a soccer team and it's cat food or the leg of the deceased Goal Tender that was sitting in the seat next to me.

One thing to add is the thicker the dehydrated sliced potatoes the less they get crushed but the longer they take to cook. I assume most are like me. When I expect potatoes au gratin I want some sliced potatoes not cheesy cottage cheese like mashed potatoes.

litetrek
06-07-2018, 06:54
exactly, that's the way your OP was intended and that's what people IMO could and should be focused upon...not personal food politics. Not everyone always wants to hear a litany of unsolicited food criticisms at every given recipe.

After sayin that, Fancyfeast is a cat food. ;) I aint puttin that in any kind of potatoes...unless I go down in a plane in the Andes with a soccer team and it's cat food or the leg of the deceased Goal Tender that was sitting in the seat next to me.

One thing to add is the thicker the dehydrated sliced potatoes the less they get crushed but the longer they take to cook. I assume most are like me. When I expect potatoes au gratin I want some sliced potatoes not cheesy cottage cheese like mashed potatoes.
My trail name has double meaning. I made an alcohol stove from a fancyfeast cat food can that I used for a while and that's when I got the name. I don't use the stove much anymore but the name stuck.

MtDoraDave
06-13-2018, 22:38
Funny, when I saw the thread title I wouldn't have imagined such controversy inside!
My first thought was:
Easy, add too much water to your instant mashed potato mix and you've got potato soup! :P

Venchka
06-13-2018, 22:59
I guess I’m going to have to waste time, fuel, potatoes and dried veggies trying to figure this out.
Wayne

illabelle
06-14-2018, 07:37
Turds are full of all natural ingredients but I would decline to eat one.

So true!! And made me laugh. :D

stephanD
06-14-2018, 08:30
Agreed. However, labeling chemical ingredients in food as poisons is a bit inflammatory. The ingredients are based on science and science isn't always right in the long run. I don't believe that the people who work in corporate america food supply companies are evil bastards hoping to harm people. Intentionally killing off your customers is a pretty bad business model. ecoli and salmonella are both completely natural and you won't find either of them on any food label yet they kill unsuspecting people every year who think they are eating natural healthy foods.

well, here's what science says;
Nitrates are linked to various cancers
High fructose corn syrup use in food correlates to the obesity epidemic in America
Hydrogenated oils are linked to heart disease
Antibiotics in animals (to accelerate growth, no to treat disease) contribute to antibiotics-resistant bacteria.

it is not proselytizing, it is science.

theinfamousj
06-14-2018, 16:31
Nitrates also are naturally in beans and save people from heart attacks.

If your goal in life is to avoid cancer, enjoy that. My goal is to live well and die of cancer.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

zelph
06-14-2018, 19:39
Dehydrated scalloped potato mix from the grocery store makes a good base for potato soup. Add jerky or bacon bits, spinach leaves, corn, peas whatever. You can make a hearty chowder that really hits the spot afterv a day of hiking in cool weather.

Thank you, I'm going to give it a try :-)

litetrek
06-17-2018, 20:31
Yes, I would agree with all of those points. However, eating something with any of those ingredients occasionally doesn't concern me and applied science is my profession, although I am not a scientist. Bill Nye the science guy is a person with a masters degree in engineering (aerospace I think - maybe mechanical); applied science. He is not a scientist yet everyone listens to him as if he is some sort of genius scientist mainly because he supports their views.

Dogwood
06-17-2018, 23:31
Just sayin. Bill Nye has a Bachelor of Science(BSc) in Mechanical Engineering degree. That's considered a science...applied science...often referred to as engineering science. Bill Nye is a scientists, science educator and, by earning of his BSc degree, is by fact a scientist.

TexasBob
06-18-2018, 11:20
Just sayin. Bill Nye has a Bachelor of Science(BSc) in Mechanical Engineering degree. That's considered a science...applied science...often referred to as engineering science. Bill Nye is a scientists, science educator and, by earning of his BSc degree, is by fact a scientist.

Not the definition of scientist I learned in school. A science teacher is not a scientist nor is a doctor or engineer. Just because someone applies science that does not make that person a scientist The simplest way to tell the difference is that doctors, engineers etc. use existing knowledge to solve problems such as curing a patient or making a new widget whereas scientists expand our knowledge of the world around us. "A scientist is someone who systematically gathers and uses research and evidence, making a hypothesis and testing it, to gain and share understanding and knowledge."

rocketsocks
06-18-2018, 11:45
Not the definition of scientist I learned in school. A science teacher is not a scientist nor is a doctor or engineer. Just because someone applies science that does not make that person a scientist. "A scientist is someone who systematically gathers and uses research and evidence, making a hypothesis and testing it, to gain and share understanding and knowledge."interesting how it says nothing about excepting money for, contracted out or accredited by his fello’s, anyone can apply those principals...even a layman with a strong interest on subject unavailable to them for a mired of reasons.

rocketsocks
06-18-2018, 11:52
interesting how it says nothing about excepting money for, contracted out or accredited by his fello’s, anyone can apply those principals...even a layman with a strong interest on subject unavailable to them for a mired of reasons.whoops! Myriad

TexasBob
06-18-2018, 12:08
interesting how it says nothing about excepting money for, contracted out or accredited by his fello’s, anyone can apply those principals...even a layman with a strong interest on subject unavailable to them for a mired of reasons.

You are right. Lots of examples of amateur scientists discovering new knowledge in their spare time.

litetrek
06-18-2018, 12:56

Well, I have 8 years of engineering school and a couple of engineering degrees and I do not consider myself to be a scientist. Most of my PhD friends who are scientists would be quick to point out that engineers apply science they are not scientists. Same goes with math. Engineers apply advanced math but it does not make them mathematicians. My point with the Bill Nye example was to be careful who you take Science advice from. They may not know what they are talking about.

Venchka
06-18-2018, 18:30
Does anybody know how to make potato soup?
Wayne

devoidapop
06-18-2018, 19:05
Does anybody know how to make potato soup?
Wayne

I do, but potatoes are terrible for ya ;)

Venchka
06-18-2018, 23:00
I do, but potatoes are terrible for ya ;)
A good laugh is never a bad thing.
Would a kale and quinoa soup be acceptable? 👍😄 Organic of course. We all know that inorganic food is never good for us.
Wayne

Dogwood
06-19-2018, 00:02
Not the definition of scientist I learned in school. A science teacher is not a scientist nor is a doctor or engineer. Just because someone applies science that does not make that person a scientist The simplest way to tell the difference is that doctors, engineers etc. use existing knowledge to solve problems such as curing a patient or making a new widget whereas scientists expand our knowledge of the world around us. "A scientist is someone who systematically gathers and uses research and evidence, making a hypothesis and testing it, to gain and share understanding and knowledge."

That's a quote directly from a Yahoo on line forum asking the question "what is a scientist?" It's an incorrect narrowed representation of what Medical Doctors and Engineers can do in their careers. To suggest either of these professions in their many subsets can't or don't "expand our knowledge of the world around us" is rubbish.

Venchka
06-19-2018, 00:22
I just want to know how to make potato soup with a JetBoil in the middle of nowhere.
It ain’t rocket science or brain surgery.
Wayne

TexasBob
06-19-2018, 12:22
That's a quote directly from a Yahoo on line forum asking the question "what is a scientist?" It's an incorrect narrowed representation of what Medical Doctors and Engineers can do in their careers. To suggest either of these professions in their many subsets can't or don't "expand our knowledge of the world around us" is rubbish.

When they use the scientific method to discover previously unknown knowledge then they are acting as a scientist otherwise they are not scientists but just practicing their craft. I used to be a science teacher so I am confident what I have said is true however you are entitled to your opinion. I just don't agree with you.

Lnj
06-19-2018, 14:26
I just want to know how to make potato soup with a JetBoil in the middle of nowhere.
It ain’t rocket science or brain surgery.
Wayne

Boil about 1 cup of water to 1 packet of Idahoan (or the like) potatoes. When the water starts the rolling boil, remove from heat and dump the packet of potatoes in. Actually, instead of dumping, kind of sprinkle all around for more even distribution and faster absorption. Just let it set a minute or two. The stir with a fork, to get the lumps out. Then (if you want to) add Butter buds, bacon bits, dehydrated veggies, whatever... again, stir and wait a minute or so. Then Eat!

MuddyWaters
06-19-2018, 14:42
To me, my definition, a scientist is someone doing research.

As a chemical engineer I've done a lot of research, and have patents to show for it. Saying Engineers aren't scientist is ..... Not correct.

Real research results today do not come from a wild haired old man working with a chemistry set in a lab.... They come from corporations with dozens of people working towards a goal, and dozens of corporations in the same industry pursuing it. With cumulative results shared through years or decades even. And yet some would say there's no scientists involved..... They have no idea how the world works. There's not much money to be made doing things people already know how to do. Everybody's work is focused on doing things cheaper or better, breaking new ground, with improved products or processes.

Venchka
06-19-2018, 15:01
Boil about 1 cup of water to 1 packet of Idahoan (or the like) potatoes. When the water starts the rolling boil, remove from heat and dump the packet of potatoes in. Actually, instead of dumping, kind of sprinkle all around for more even distribution and faster absorption. Just let it set a minute or two. The stir with a fork, to get the lumps out. Then (if you want to) add Butter buds, bacon bits, dehydrated veggies, whatever... again, stir and wait a minute or so. Then Eat!
Thank you!
I promise not to read the ingredients label!
Wayne

rocketsocks
06-19-2018, 15:53

As a chemical engineer I've done a lot of research, and have patents to show for it. Saying Engineers aren't scientist is ..... Not correct.

Real research results today do not come from a wild haired old man working with a chemistry set in a lab.... They come from corporations with dozens of people working towards a goal, and dozens of corporations in the same industry pursuing it. With cumulative results shared through years or decades even. And yet some would say there's no scientists involved..... They have no idea how the world works. There's not much money to be made doing things people already know how to do. Everybody's work is focused on doing things cheaper or better, breaking new ground, with improved products or processes.Silly Putty!

TexasBob
06-19-2018, 18:07

Real research results today do not come from a wild haired old man working with a chemistry set in a lab.... They come from corporations with dozens of people working towards a goal, and dozens of corporations in the same industry pursuing it. With cumulative results shared through years or decades even. And yet some would say there's no scientists involved..... They have no idea how the world works. There's not much money to be made doing things people already know how to do. Everybody's work is focused on doing things cheaper or better, breaking new ground, with improved products or processes.

Making a better widget doesn't make you a scientist it makes you a clever and inventive engineer. Congratulations on your patents but that doesn't make you a scientist either.

devoidapop
06-19-2018, 18:46
Thank you!
I promise not to read the ingredients label!
Wayne

Add some gnocchi to that mix? Actually you could probably just do broth, gnocchi, dried veggies, maybe a little powdered milk

Dogwood
06-19-2018, 23:46
When they use the scientific method to discover previously unknown knowledge then they are acting as a scientist otherwise they are not scientists but just practicing their craft. I used to be a science teacher so I am confident what I have said is true however you are entitled to your opinion. I just don't agree with you.

That's a common modern belief. It does have it's origins 100's of yrs ago with some scientists but not all science follows or can be construed to pass the scientific method which is based only on a physical understanding of the Universe, namely the philosophy of empiricism. Empiricism is what the scientific method is based. Knowledge(and science that strictly follows the scientific method) only is acquired through the 5 senses. The philosophy was named by philosopher John Locke. Through history noted scientific discoveries and scientific fields haven't always been rooted in empiricism. In the past, and even now, scientists could be better labeled also being philosophers. Empiricism creates a problem applying the scientific method when scientists don't have physical measuring tools/devices to measure events or knowledge that may not be easily understood in only a physical(sensual) based reality...when realities beyond the 5 senses may exist.

Dogwood
06-19-2018, 23:49
There's not always a clear consensus among scientists in regard to a great many aspects of science. Some scientists become defensive of their scientific fields.

TexasBob
06-20-2018, 09:59
That's a common modern belief. It does have it's origins 100's of yrs ago with some scientists but not all science follows or can be construed to pass the scientific method which is based only on a physical understanding of the Universe, namely the philosophy of empiricism. Empiricism is what the scientific method is based. Knowledge(and science that strictly follows the scientific method) only is acquired through the 5 senses. The philosophy was named by philosopher John Locke. Through history noted scientific discoveries and scientific fields haven't always been rooted in empiricism. In the past, and even now, scientists could be better labeled also being philosophers. Empiricism creates a problem applying the scientific method when scientists don't have physical measuring tools/devices to measure events or knowledge that may not be easily understood in only a physical(sensual) based reality...when realities beyond the 5 senses may exist.

Science and philosophy are not the same. Science is based on the scientific method which starts with an observation that leads to the formulation of a hypothesis which is tested by experimentation, data collection and data analysis which leads to a conclusion that either supports or rejects the hypothesis. Science only deals with the physical universe which can be measured or observed. Some things are not testable by science and fall outside the realm of science. I think we would both agree that not all knowledge and understanding is science based. I think you and I could have some interesting discussions while cooking potato soup around a campfire.

zelph
06-22-2018, 15:15
Add some Freeze Dried Diced potatoes to the mix also ;)

http://www.thrivelife.com/potato-dices-freeze-dried.html#customer-reviews

Lewis Clark
07-18-2018, 17:49
Not bothering me. Just amazed at how our culture has transformed into being told what to do by everyone and everyone thinking they know more than everyone else. Its unbelievable. My idea for soup was a helpful tip to anyone who wanted it. My comment would be if you don't like the suggestion don't do it. The labels are there for everyone to read and if you can believe it I READ THEM and made my own decison. If you read a food label and are concerned about what's in the package then its your option not to eat it.

I'm planning on doing the AT in a couple of years, and any help I can find, I'll take. I just tried some Idahoan mashed potatoes, and they tasted much better than the potato buds we used to suffer with. I'm looking forward to making single serve food packs from what ever sources I can find, and try before it's time to pack and hit the trail!

Trambo
01-23-2019, 15:04
Idahoan are the way to go for sure. I don't skimp on potatoes, because the others just taste so bad. If I do need to get generic versions, then I go for regular plain potatoes. I've found that it's the additives that make it taste horrible. As for my personal favorite, I like the Idahoan baby red roasted garlic and parmesean flavor. That one ticks all of the boxes for me. Another thing to look for is potato pearls. I would mix a bulk package of pearls with a bulk package of flakes for your own trip (unless you plan to just buy from the store).

Since I'm bringing up this older thread, I'll leave some important information for anyone looking to make the cheapest soup in bulk. I am a wholeseller with frontier coop. I suggest that you do the same https://wholesale.frontiercoop.com/membership/ There are some specific reasons that I suggest this. First, you'll save off a ton of product as you can buy the frontier labeled bulk products at a great price. Second, it's only 10 bucks for a lifetime membership. If you look at a pound of Veggie Broth, No-Chicken Broth, or No-Beef Broth, it's only 7 dollars for an entire pound. I also suggest a pound of Onion Soup and Dip mix for 7 Dollars. You might even want a pound of gravy mix for 7 bucks. Once you compare this to what you get in the store, the value is undeniable.

Also, a pound of freeze dried veggies with potatoes is 9 bucks, and without potatoes is 10 bucks a pound.

zelph
01-23-2019, 18:41
but...but...but...Mountain House is the bestest ever :-)