PDA

View Full Version : Bag for 5' 100# Woman??

chicote
02-15-2006, 15:16
My dilemma has been finding an appropriate bag for my wife. Right now she uses The North Face Tigger kids bag. We survived a cold night (sub 20's) in Mt. Rogers. However the bag is a little tight and she likes to squirm a bit and sleeps a little cold. We plan on thru hiking in March of 07. I was looking at the Montbell Super Stretch #2. I figured the foot baffle string would reduce the effective height by about 6 inches or 10 if its pushed in with extra down for the feet (she always has cold feet). I also figure the SS would keep the insulation close to her and leave less pockets of deadspace for her to heat.

My other option I've been thinking about is to get her a Western Mountaineering bag. Do you think they'd be able to make a special "shorter" version for her? I think this is one piece of equipment not worth skimping on.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pringles
02-15-2006, 15:48
I don't know about Western Mountaineering, but I have an Integral Designs bag, and when you order it, you request tall, regular or short. You also get to pick the color and width. I got mine at http://thru-hiker.com and it's a nice sleeping bag. I'm sure AYCE would answer any questions you had about the bags. Good luck!

Beth

Almost There
02-15-2006, 15:51
Aw, just get her to put on 20-30lbs before her hike, tell her how much fun it will be to eat whatever she wants!!!:jump

chicote
02-15-2006, 15:57
Aw, just get her to put on 20-30lbs before her hike, tell her how much fun it will be to eat whatever she wants!!!:jump

She already eats whatever she wants!! Problem is she works out like a fiend and a metabolism that reflects that! I go work out 3 times a week at 6:15 in the morning and when I wake up at 5:40 she has already been working out for 30 minutes! And she does this almost everyday. I have a reputation for being a garbage disposal when it comes to food and my friends are amazed that Kel can keep up and sometimes eat more than me. And I'm 6'2" 195 pounds.

I don't know about Western Mountaineering, but I have an Integral Designs bag, and when you order it, you request tall, regular or short. You also get to pick the color and width. I got mine at http://thru-hiker.com and it's a nice sleeping bag. I'm sure AYCE would answer any questions you had about the bags. Good luck!

Beth

Thanks for the input Beth. I'll look into that.

Almost There
02-15-2006, 16:09
She already eats whatever she wants!! Problem is she works out like a fiend and a metabolism that reflects that! I go work out 3 times a week at 6:15 in the morning and when I wake up at 5:40 she has already been working out for 30 minutes! And she does this almost everyday. I have a reputation for being a garbage disposal when it comes to food and my friends are amazed that Kel can keep up and sometimes eat more than me. And I'm 6'2" 195 pounds.

You can both kiss my big white butt!!!:D

Seeker
02-15-2006, 16:45
as usual, i've remembered something, but forgot where i found it... i know someone posted it on here though... it was about a custom bag western mountaineering made for someone... i'm sure they would do it for you.

my daughter uses the tigger, and it's a good bag that keeps her warm... but a little heavy/bulky...

The Will
02-15-2006, 18:21
You certainly cannot go wrong with a Western Mountaineering product. A company that is on par with Western Mountaineerings quality is Feathered Friends. Because of the many different colors, fabrics, fabric weights, lengths, girths mens, and womens models that they offer, every bag ordered from them is, in a sense, custom. So if there is a special size requirement for your wife, it would be little inconvenience for them.

ARambler
02-15-2006, 18:36
Agree that Feathered Friends is worth careful concideration. Since they are custome bags, don't wait untel Feb 07.

mweinstone
02-15-2006, 18:37
5 foot isnt to small for a bag that fits to 6. your silly. a regular bag is the only bag to use.most folks use bags too short . a real mountaineering /alpine use bag must have extra space. its not extra space to warm. its extra warmth.for a bag to be too large as to cause it to be unheatable, your talking about a really really big bag. they dont make a bag too big to warm a 5 foot person. your wrong about her needs. i think you should rethink any small size for a 5 footer. its gonna make trouble. shell be toasty warm in a 6 foot bag of the right choice.

chicote
02-15-2006, 18:48
5 foot isnt to small for a bag that fits to 6. your silly. a regular bag is the only bag to use.most folks use bags too short . a real mountaineering /alpine use bag must have extra space. its not extra space to warm. its extra warmth.for a bag to be too large as to cause it to be unheatable, your talking about a really really big bag. they dont make a bag too big to warm a 5 foot person. your wrong about her needs. i think you should rethink any small size for a 5 footer. its gonna make trouble. shell be toasty warm in a 6 foot bag of the right choice.

***? What choice would that be? If you are being sarcastic excuse the response, but I don't find this response in anyway helpful at all.

DebW
02-15-2006, 20:07
I read somewhere (I believe on backpackinglight) that Western Mountaineering is coming out with a new 1/2 bag that is 5 feet long. Chest height on tall people, full length on short people. Pretty light. 4-5 inches loft. Not sure if that warm enough, but the length might be perfect.

Seeker
02-16-2006, 01:52
***? What choice would that be? If you are being sarcastic excuse the response, but I don't find this response in anyway helpful at all.

go to your control panel and add to your ignore list... makes life a lot nicer here...

when i was a much smaller boy scout, i remember the foot of my bag being ice cold all the time... a smaller bag is definitely in order for a smaller person... needn't be skin tight/form fitted... but why carry more bag than needed, why heat more bag than needed, and why be colder than needed?

WM, Marmot, and Feathered Friends all make good down bags, and if you're not financially challenged, a custom job sounds like a good idea to me.

Nokia
02-16-2006, 04:20

You're high. Your body size and it's ability to heat the area of the bag is most important. Thus, a six foot bag would be harder to heat for someone that small. My girlfriend is about an inch tallet and she had a regular Marmot 15* bag on the trail this year and she was cold quite a bit. She switched out to a 20* REI down kids bag and was much warmer.

Chicote: help her find a good quality kids or small women's bag. She will end up being more comfortable. REI, Mountain Hardware, EMS, and feathered friends should all have options that could suit her needs.

Almanac
02-16-2006, 08:43
I'm about the same height but a little heavier, and I use the Western Mountaineering Ultralite, Short. This is a 20* bag, is 5'6" long and weighs 1lb 9oz. I used it on the Colorado Trail this summer and have NO complaints...loved it. If your concerned that a 20* bag won't be warm enough in the beginning, add a silk liner...a little more warmth, keeps the sleeping bag cleaner and weighs next to nothing.

Even with the short bag, I still had a little room to put one or 2 small clothing pieces in the foot.

Almanac

"ME & U"
02-16-2006, 09:37
hey Chicote,
check out the EMS Boreal, it's a great bag, inexpensive, and the perfect size. Also, don't rule out Big Agnes. They have an awesome selection of bags and if my memory serves, a good women's selection.
Sleeping bags are big money as they are, I'd consider a stock bag and spend your custom money on other ways of pampering your honey like a massage every time she hikes with you!:banana
Better yet, grab a hand full of hand warmers and carry them for her. After you tuck her in stuff em in, she'll love you forever!

chicote
02-16-2006, 10:09
hey Chicote,
check out the EMS Boreal, it's a great bag, inexpensive, and the perfect size. Also, don't rule out Big Agnes. They have an awesome selection of bags and if my memory serves, a good women's selection.
Sleeping bags are big money as they are, I'd consider a stock bag and spend your custom money on other ways of pampering your honey like a massage every time she hikes with you!:banana
Better yet, grab a hand full of hand warmers and carry them for her. After you tuck her in stuff em in, she'll love you forever!

I better not let her read that. Very good advice. Thanks to all for the replies. I spoke with her in detail last night about the different options available. She really likes the idea of the Montbell because of the wiggle factor. But then she mentioned why carry something that is not what I would be using all of. I am not financially hamstringed but by no means care to toss around 300+ dollars. If I went and got a custom bag - I would use that as a last resort because I figure to return one would be impossible.

'm about the same height but a little heavier, and I use the Western Mountaineering Ultralite, Short. This is a 20* bag, is 5'6" long and weighs 1lb 9oz. I used it on the Colorado Trail this summer and have NO complaints...loved it. If your concerned that a 20* bag won't be warm enough in the beginning, add a silk liner...a little more warmth, keeps the sleeping bag cleaner and weighs next to nothing.

Even with the short bag, I still had a little room to put one or 2 small clothing pieces in the foot.

Almanac

I've been looking at this and it seems really like something she might like. Thanks for the first hand experience!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-16-2006, 15:57
If she ends up with a longish bag, consider carrying a lexan water bottle. Fill it with boiling water and put it in a sock. It makes a great bag warmer and the water will still be water in the morning no matter how cold it got.

chicote
02-16-2006, 16:10
If she ends up with a longish bag, consider carrying a lexan water bottle. Fill it with boiling water and put it in a sock. It makes a great bag warmer and the water will still be water in the morning no matter how cold it got.

I just bit the bullet. Ordered a bag for her birthday. It is the Montbell UL Super Stretch Down Hugger #2. I bought it because it had the longest name of all the ones mentioned. :banana Actually they (campsaver) were giving away free liners with the bag and it had free shipping along with a 30 return policy. The extra length will be good for the lexan warmer treat. So I can kick her out on the deck for a few nights and keep the bed to myself. If she comes back happy we won't return it. If she comes back mad, I'll be looking for a new place. ;) In all seriousness I think if this doesn't work out I'm going to Western Mountaineering and getting the Short Ultralight.

peeb
02-16-2006, 16:11
I'm 5'2" and weigh about 95 lbs. I also like to wiggle a bit in the bag, and hated my NF cat's Meow exactly for that reason. I was always cold with the unnecessary length (6' bag).

Last year I bought the REI women's SubKilo +15 with a coupon and dividend, and have been very pleased. I was also quite interested in the Montbell bags but didn't have the $$ to drop on the one I wanted. The SubKilo has been a good compromise for me - I'm little enough to have some wiggle room, the bag is very comfortable. I have not been able to test it at the low end of it's temp range.

At the end of last year my husband bought a Montbell super stretch #3 (with the 650 fill - this was his compromise) and I am very impressed with it. It is way comfy and being able to stretch out and around in it is really a nice feature. I am dreaming of a summer bag now...

Being able to close the foot baffle should reduce the length to about 5'4" or so I think? She shouldn't have a problem with the excess length in that case. When my son outgrows his Tigger, I'm considering a Montbell for him as well as I think he will be on the short side when he grows up.

Get the montbell - you'll like it a lot.

Happy hiking,

peeb

stickinit2theman
02-17-2006, 10:20
I can vouch for feathered Friends bags... ans she could indeed have it custom made for her... in any color and in different fabrics... Epic is a great shell material. All my FF bags are as stated weight wise and warm, warm, warm.

Gray Blazer
02-17-2006, 10:31
I have the opposite problem.....I need a 5' 100# woman for my bag.

:jump :jump :jump

stickinit2theman
02-17-2006, 11:55
A reg or a long would be fine with me as well... I would buy her a nice FF bag!

allie
02-17-2006, 12:25
I am about 5' 3'' around 110 and I use the marmot angel fire, I think it's wonderful it is a 15 degree bag and I think that it is plenty warm as long as you're not in a snow storm. It's not too big like a man's sleeping bag but yet it's not too restricting either

Nameless
02-19-2006, 14:23
even though you have already bought a bag...

I am 5'1" and 104 lbs. I bought myself a WM Ultralight (Short) last year and fell it love with it. It is just the right size that i can back my feet all the way to the end and have my head just covered by the top of the bag. I also can do the normal sleeping thing with plenty of extra room. One warm way to fill the extra room at the end of the bag without risking getting it wet is to buy a silk sleeping bag liner. The commerecial ones must be made for 400 lbs people there is so much extra material. Shove most of that into the bottom of the bag where the feet are kept. It simply acts as more insulation.

Pink