PDA

View Full Version : Hennessy or REI

bayview
06-05-2018, 08:57
I am section hiking from Hot Springs to Erwin and can’t decide which hammock. Did a section las year using the Hennessy Ultra Light and enjoyed it but recently purchased the REI Quarterdome Hammock and want to try that. I know it is a HYOH, but just would like other thoughts. I know the REI weighs a bit more, but it is a spreaderbar and develops more of a flater lie for a stomach sleeper. Any input would be appreciated.

TX Aggie
06-05-2018, 10:34
Personally I would go with whichever gives you a better night’s sleep. Even if the REI weighs a little more, if you’re able to sleep better that can sometimes make up the difference.

I have a HH and like it, but I’ve recently upgraded to a Sutch Half-Wit. I haven’t tried the REI yet.

cneill13
06-05-2018, 10:42
I have owned both the hammocks you mentioned. The REI quarterdome is very narrow. It pressed my shoulders so tightly that I woke up sore every time I slept in it I ended up returning it. Hennessey's are good but heavy.

I currently own these two hammocks from a cottage vendor called Warbonnet out of Colorado. All sourced and constructed in the good ole U.S.A.

The Blackbird XLC is very popular. Or you could try the Ridgerunner bridge hammock. They are both incredibly comfortable hammocks.

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/blackbird-xlc/

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/ridgerunner-hammock/

jdenkevitz
06-07-2018, 09:26
Check out Simply Light Designs. I have a 12 foot trail lair and I sleep like a baby in it.
I recommend a longer hammock. Much easier to get a flat diagonal lay.

jdenkevitz
06-07-2018, 09:27
http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/catalog/index.php

bayview
06-07-2018, 12:11
Not asking for new hammocks, just which of the two I own should I take.

nsherry61
06-08-2018, 16:37
. . . which of the two I own should I take.
as noted above, the one you sleep best in. None of us can tell you which one that will be, and you won't know until you try it. If you sleep equally well, then take either the lighter one or the one that is the best color because I will make you smile more when you look at it.

bayview
06-08-2018, 17:37
Since having to split the trip into two different sets, I was going to take the Hennessy for the longer hike and the REI for the shorter and compare both. Of course it looks like a great deal of rain might be headed our way. Sucks.

nsherry61
06-08-2018, 18:33
. . . I was going to take the Hennessy for the longer hike and the REI for the shorter and compare both. . .
Make sure to tell us what you come up with then your done.

smoovoperator
06-09-2018, 19:04
Get yourself a Dutchware hammock. Very comfortable!!

smoovoperator
06-09-2018, 19:05
Sorry about that. I noticed ypu aren't looking for a new hammock.

Davem
06-09-2018, 23:24
If you’re not sure, take them both.

chknfngrs
06-10-2018, 08:58
I have an older Hennessy I bought off craigslist that does the job well. Might not be the lightest but works for me.

Are you a stomach sleeper? Otherwise, why not bring both?

lucky luke
06-12-2018, 01:49
If you’re not sure, take them both.

:-? yes! and maybe an additional tent, just in case he does not like either one of the hammocks....

chknfngrs
06-12-2018, 06:44
You can’t make everyone smile all of the time.