PDA

View Full Version : The Coolest New Must do Hike - The GMT

Malto
06-05-2018, 13:16
The ornery thread got me thinking about a truly world class alternate to the JMT, I will call it the Great Malto Trail, just to add to the appeal. Here is the challenge.
1) Start in Yosemite but not necessarily Happy Isles.
2) End somewhere in Kings Canyon but it doesn't have to be Whitney.
3) Make it a truly epic (to get Facebook likes) but accessible (so your adoring blogger fan base can dream of doing it.)

Here is a start with some pictures and description. What are some improvement that could be made to make this a viable alternative to getting a standard JMT permit?

1) Start at Happy Isles but after seeing the people infested but beautiful Vernal and Nevada Falls head southeast up and over Red Peak Pass into the Merced Drainage.
2) Cross the Merced Drainage and head up on the Isberg Pass Trail.
3) Exit Yosemite at Blue Lake Pass and follow the Sierra High Route to the JMT at Thousand Island Lake. Incredible views of Banner and Ritter.
4) Follow the JMT past Devils Postpile (resupply option), through Tully Hole and Silver Pass to the Mono Creek Trail near VVR. (resupply option)
5) Take the Mono Creek trail to the Second Recess and Follow the SHR over to the Piute Pass Trail. This relative easy section of the SHR avoids Bear Ridge and is much more scenic.
6) Go west down Piute Canyon and join up with the JMT at the San Joaquin River. MTR is close for resupply.
7) Follow the JMT through Evolution Valley over both Muir and Mather Passes. Extra Credit for side trip to Darwin Bench (First Picture) Second picture is Evolution Lake.

8) Now the trickiest part. Leaving the JMT at Upper Basin, Follow the SHR up and over Frozen Lake Pass into Lake Basin to Marion Lake. Spend the night.
9) Backtrack slightly through Lake Basin and exit via the Cartridge Pass and Follow the South Fork Kings River to the JMT. (I have not done cartridge Pass.)
10) Follow JMT over Pinchot and Glen Passes to Center Basin. Resupply option over Kearsarge Pass.
11) Follow the old JMT (?) through Center Basin and over Junction Pass. (This photo was from a snowshoe trip.)
12) Go down to the Pothole and head west on the Shepherds Pass Trail. (I have not gone over Shepherds Pass.)
13) Meet up with the JMT and head north over Forester Pass to Vidette Meadows.
14) Take Bubbs Creek Trail down to Roads End in Kings Canyon.

Now, your challenge. How could this be better?

colorado_rob
06-05-2018, 13:25
Nice! Love that thinking.

As far as "better", I'd definitely swing by Minaret lake area, probably our favorite spot on the Sierra High Route. Then there's Darwin bench....

Woops! I see you actually cover both of those, though you don't actually mention the Minaret lake thing. Don't miss the Darwin Bench!

chknfngrs
06-05-2018, 13:48
Beer stations stocked with Michelob Ultra

trailmercury
06-05-2018, 14:00
Beer stations stocked with Michelob Ultra

as far as beer goes, not enough alcohol per weight, how about Sierra Nevada Pale Ales? or Bigfoot?

Malto
06-05-2018, 14:19
Nice! Love that thinking.

As far as "better", I'd definitely swing by Minaret lake area, probably our favorite spot on the Sierra High Route. Then there's Darwin bench....

Woops! I see you actually cover both of those, though you don't actually mention the Minaret lake thing. Don't miss the Darwin Bench!

Agree on Minaret completely.

Venchka
06-05-2018, 14:40
Being the curmudgeon that I am, move it out of La La Land.
On second thought, leave it where you want it.
No point in overcrowding the good places.
Y’all have fun!
Wayne

nsherry61
06-05-2018, 19:44
. . . I will call it the Great Malto Trail . . .

That looks absolutely awesome!

Dogwood
06-06-2018, 00:45
I wont go unless there's a guidebook.

Is there any water between the third and fourth pics? How far apart are the lean-to's? Do I get a Malto Tr Certificate of Completion if it's thru-hiked? How about a personally autographed pic with you at one of the TH's if I thru hike it? How much does it cost to thru-hike? Do I have to do the Approach Tr? What are the secret campsites? :D

MuddyWaters
06-06-2018, 00:58
Is there an app for it? Like guthook?
How is the cell service?

evyck da fleet
06-06-2018, 08:09
Very interesting. Do you have this in a vlog/blog format? I’m too busy to research it myself. #epic

Also how cheap can I do it for and where are the goodtrail magic spots?