PDA

View Full Version : Another Umbrella Thread

Gambit McCrae
06-08-2018, 13:33
Couldn't find a thread specifically discussing the effectiveness of an umbrella hiking in the rain, I saw a good bit of discussion about sun protection and it will be in my pack on the PCT, but I am kinda tired of wearing a wet rain jacket. I saw an older lady hiking in the Smokies 2 weeks ago, carrying a golf umbrella in an absolute downpour. Granted, feet are gunna get wet, but how about the rest? Covers up the pack too?

What brands do you have experience with?

Waste of weight and time?

colorado_rob
06-08-2018, 13:41
I started carrying an umbrella for rain protection a couple years ago for a Scotland hiking trip, now I'm kind of an addict. I love being able to keep 95% of a downpour off of myself and pack, what can I say, I'm a rain-wimp. I'm talking mostly for hiking out west where it downpours a lot in the afternoons. I carry one of those very popular german make ones, cannot remember the name, goes for about $50 online, 8 ounces IIRC. Get the silver-reflective one, why not, so it more effectively reflects the sun for that other use.

JPritch
06-08-2018, 13:44
WASTE for the AT! I brought an umbrella with me end of March for my Winding Stair Gap to Newfound Gap section. I had a bad experience with temp regulation with my rain jacket the year before, so I thought an umbrella would give me all the ventilation I would want. First of all, you need to find a way to secure it to your pack unless you want one hand occupied on the umbrella the entire time. Lastly, and most importantly, even at the end of March and with relatively sparse vegetation on the trees, it still got hung up countless times, to the point I completely abandoned use of the umbrella very early on. Luckily, it was still cool enough and I was able to dial in my temp perfectly using my rain jacket. I wouldn't even attempt it with thick summer growth. I can see using one out in the open West for both rain and sun protection, but nowhere out East.

QuietStorm
06-08-2018, 14:28
Use mine on the AT all the time. No issues. Just have to move it out of the way from time to time. I have a Gossamer Gear Liteflex. Weighs 8oz. Use it and my rain kilt and I’m good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nsherry61
06-08-2018, 14:44
I like umbrellas for both rain and sun as long as there isn't too much wind. When it's rainy AND windy, the umbrella doesn't offer much coverage below breast level and fighting the wind with an open umbrella is a nuisance. If the umbrella doesn't cut it, I am a big poncho fan because they cover everything pretty well, can be tied around your waist when it's windy, and they vent much better than rain jackets, but not as well as umbrellas.

Burrhead
06-08-2018, 15:09
Girlfriend tried hers out for the first time last week on a loop in the Smokies(Sea to Summit Sil-Nylon). Worked great in some places, BMT when it is an old road, lower hazel Creek which is a road. Not so well in others, narrow paths through laurel. Flat out useless on upper Hazel creek which probably hasn't seen a weed eater in two years and a chainsaw in five. She's going to give it another chance but I saw enough to see that's it not for me. Too much opening and closing depending on what you are walking through. Im sure that on some trails they are great, just going to depend on what you are going through.

illabelle
06-08-2018, 15:10
We've had mixed results using umbrellas on the AT. We carried them in the White Mountains, but didn't get to use them much because either too much wind, or vegetation too close.
I remember another time in the Smokies (not AT) we used them during rain, and they worked real well. It was warm that day, and it was nice to stay both cool and dry.

Deadeye
06-08-2018, 15:51
I won't leave home without one. I use it on the AT, LT, Adirondacks, etc. It's not perfect, but neither is any article of clothing made now or yet to be invented! It's one more tool in the kit, and a very useful one much of the time. No, it's not much use above tree line in the wind, and if you insist on using two trekking poles, it's not for you, either. If you hold it loosely, it will rotate around obstacles and not get hung up or torn. whenever I'm using mine, people comment that they wish they had one.

They're not for everyone, but at least give one a decent try to see if it's for you. Only then will you know, Grasshopper.

Puddlefish
06-08-2018, 16:25
I love my Liteflex Chrome umbrella. Get or make a good system to attach it to your shoulder straps, I think they sell an attachment system. I just used some cord and those little pinch clamps things that I can't remember the name of. Very sturdy, it's been rubbed against many a branch and tree trunk. I pair it with a homemade kilt/skirt to keep my shorts dry.

Ventilation is awesome, especially since I wear glasses. A rain jacket just steams me, I overheat, my face overheats, my glasses fog, it's ugly. I hiked through the Smokies in the snow, and had to shake the snow off of it once in a while, after I realized it was getting wobbly. I just wear a wind shirt to keep in a little warmth, sometimes an arm will get wet depending on the wind, but that's really no big deal.

Once, it was seriously windy along a ridge, and I had to hold the umbrella with two hands and store the hiking poles, but it was maybe an hour of annoyance total. On one trail in the NH, the pines pressed in narrowly, to where it was a bit annoying, but to be fair, the pines were rubbing against my shoulders as well. I probably should have gone back and volunteered to maintain that trail a bit.

As for passing people, or being passed. I step off the trail and let them by, since I'm the one with the wide load.

Malto
06-08-2018, 17:16
After making fun of my hiking compadres on the Lowest to Highest, see picture below
, I ended up using an umbrella on a week long hike in the Adirondaks. It has been part of my gear ever since. On that hike we had several inches of rain and you can stay quite comfortable. Yes, feet got wet but you can see it really didn't matter.
LTH umbrella Toaters.

A swampy mess

perrymk
06-08-2018, 18:30
I’ve gone through several brands. They all give up the ghost eventually. My current umbrella is a euroshirm lite flex automatic weighing 12 ounces. Euroshirm now makes an ultra lite manual weighing an advertised 6.2 ounces that tempts me. For now I like my current umbrella well enough. Euroshirms are also rebranded for other brands.

I also have a 6 ounce Montbell umbrella. They also have a 3 ounce version, may be the same one I have misweighed. It’s less sturdy but even more folds in an odd and cumbersome manner. Check the video on their website. Plus it has a shorter stem, really too short.

as an aside, I’ve found the best way to hold an umbrella is using a hand loop attached to the strap. It supports the hand and weight of the arm but allows quick adjustment for wind direction.

perrymk
06-08-2018, 18:30
Duplicate post

Two Tents
06-08-2018, 20:40
I like a 'brella for shade. The Snow peak is sub 5 ounces. I have a hydration tube guide clipped to each shoulder strap so I can switch sides as needed. Clip in the handle to the hydration tube guide and run the 'brella handle runs under my sternum strap. This year I've been using a large (30"?) one that you wear like a hat. I cut out the hat part and opened up the plastic center button so I can use a three-ish foot long stick and cut weight that way. A brella makes a good privacy screen on bio breaks too.

HooKooDooKu
06-08-2018, 22:37
Couldn't find a thread specifically discussing the effectiveness of an umbrella hiking in the rain, I saw a good bit of discussion about sun protection and it will be in my pack on the PCT, but I am kinda tired of wearing a wet rain jacket. I saw an older lady hiking in the Smokies 2 weeks ago, carrying a golf umbrella in an absolute downpour. Granted, feet are gunna get wet, but how about the rest? Covers up the pack too?
I too have hiked in GSMNP with a small umbrella during a down-pour.
You can get a very cheap and light weight 'purse' umbrella from WalMart for about $3 (about 6-8oz if I recall). It's not going to withstand strong winds or fighting your way dense brush. But if you have a free hand (i.e. can't use double trekking poles... you'll need to put one of them way), you can hold the tiny umbrella in just the right spot to keep your head, back, and pack dry.

I once tried using both poles and just let the pack straps sort of hold the umbrella in place over my head. But I just couldn't get the umbrella positioned right to cover the pack. The result was water running down the pack that eventually ran down my pants and totally soaked me there.

But so long as you have one hand free to hold the umbrella, and if it's not windy, and not lots of brush trying to grab hold of the umbrella, I find hiking with an umbrella to be better than a rain jacket... especially if you're hiking up-hill where you're likely sweating (no jacket is the best ventilation).

blw2
06-08-2018, 23:04
good thread. I've been wanting to get a good, light, and durable one for hiking. I used to never use them anywhere, hiking or not, but with the frog choking downpours we get here in Florida I have really learned to appreciate them. Using just cheap standard folding ones, I've carried in the woods a fair bit. I'm sure some trails are too tight for them, but my experience mostly has been good, just every now an then I may have to lean it one way or the other or even partially collapse it to get through a tight spot.

I think in places where rain is gentle or misty I don't mind walking without an umbrella, but when it pours, they are great IMO.

Five Tango
06-09-2018, 10:49
I have the 8 oz Swing Lite Flex Chrome umbrella.Works fine until the rain blows sideways and then you might as well put it away.LightHartGear makes a fine 7 oz rain jacket with 4 pockets and some SERIOUS pit zips for about $99.I don't know about anyone else but when it rains,I always get wet no matter what gear I am using.

I consider rain gear to really be "warm when wet" gear.I guess that's why we carry dry clothes in a waterproof bag?

kestral
06-09-2018, 16:31
I bought a 4 oz totes purse umbrella at grocery store. It folds down to about 7 inches, fits in fanny pack, costs about 7$. Not reflective, no super solid, but is a cheap option to try out. It also lives in car and is handy for sudden showers. I have used it hiking with good results in rain, it also makes a good windscreen for stove. Has lasted about 5 years with occasional use. It’s helpful with Florida sun, even though it isn’t the fancy silver kind.

You will only know if it works for you if you try it out ;*) I would bring mine if rain is expected.

Fredt4
06-09-2018, 16:43
"It's not perfect, but neither is any article of clothing made now or yet to be invented!"

I think this best states it position for hiking. I've used one for many years and used one on the AT in 2011. It proved itself while hiking in the snow, rain and sun. I do remember it being blown inside and out when I hiked out of the White Mountains during hurricane Irene. It was especially useful when I camped in the rain as I use a bivy sack. It's part of my hiking gear and I used it on the PCT last year. If you don't like it it's a great gift to another hiker.

map man
06-10-2018, 20:53
I've used an umbrella instead of a rain jacket for the last four years covering 550 miles on the southern end of the AT and the 165 miles on the Colorado Trail. I've come to prefer it to a rain jacket. I don't use trekking poles so having a hand free to hold an umbrella is not an issue. Every rain jacket I have ever had, from cheap Frogg Toggs to expensive eVent models, will wet out in a rain that lasts very long. An umbrella will keep my head and torso dry. And in a sideways-high-wind rain that people have mentioned I will be just as miserable in rain gear as I will in a light wind shirt plus umbrella. And an umbrella is easier to deploy and undeploy than taking rain gear on and off. I use this Montbell 5.3 ounce umbrella:

https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1128550

h. hastings
06-11-2018, 06:25
Have used an umbrella on a couple of occasions, most recently a three-day stretch on the NPT. Except for one or two places that needed some serious side-cutting it worked like a charm. Was even able to go hands free by putting the end of the handle in my shirt pocket and using my sternum strap to hold it steady.

SoaknWet
06-11-2018, 08:39
Ditto to what Map man said! After putting the male ego aside I learned to love my sun/rain umbrella.

cneill13
06-11-2018, 10:22
I have an old Go Lite Chrome umbrella that I have been using for about 4 years. I would not go hiking without it.

I also use this to protect my legs.

https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/rain-kilt/

I strap my umbrella to my ULA pack on the right shoulder strap with the attached cords so I am hands free.

I hiked up to camp on top of Standing Indian Mountain in North Carolina this past weekend and the sky opened up as soon as I got out of my car at SI information booth.

People were pouring off the mountain as I hiked up the Kimsey Creek trail. It was raining so hard the water on the trail was above the tops of my shoes.

But with the umbrella and rain kilt, I was completely dry except for my hands and feet. I can't tell you how many people I passed who said they wanted my set up.

The kilt can be worn when raining hard so it vents in the back via a slit that goes down the length of the kilt so I had zero sweating issues on top or bottom.

I actually left the umbrella up and attached after the rain as it kept the water drops off me and also shielded me from the sun.

I also use the kilt as a pack cover in camp and as a wind screen for my legs in the winter when the winds are blowing.

Anyway, I can't recommend this combo enough. It is light, easy to deploy, and gives excellent protection without sweating you out.

As an added bonus, the umbrella comes in very handy in camp if raining so you aren't trapped in your hammock or tent.

handlebar
06-11-2018, 11:39
I carry a Chromedome both for sun in the desert and rain (mostly in the east). It's been a trip-saver when I've had back to back days of all-day rain. I particularly like that it keeps the rain from running down between my pack and my back as occurs with just a rain jacket. I still carry a rain jacket to protect my arms as I use two trekking poles, but I'm able to leave the rain jacket completely unzipped. In light rain or drizzle I sometimes forego the umbrella or the rain jacket. I have a couple short lengths of velcro that I loop through points on my shoulder strap and run the handle of the umbrella through those. I secure the loop at the end of the handle by running my pack sternum strap through that and use the adjuster to tighten the umbrella down or raise it up when it blocks my view of the trail ahead on a climb. I've been on some pretty rough sections of trail with the umbrella without too much damage to the umbrella.

blw2
06-11-2018, 20:26
Ditto to what Map man said! After putting the male ego aside I learned to love my sun/rain umbrella.
so true
even in the city, I usually sarcastically call my umbrella a parasol

rocketsocks
06-12-2018, 06:34
so true
even in the city, I usually sarcastically call my umbrella a parasolhow does one successfully use a parasol on the trail...

practice practice practice! :D

Gambit McCrae
06-21-2018, 10:28
Well folks I bit the bullet and got one. I went with the gossamer Gear Liteflex Chrome and for $39 its worth a try to me. One thing I have noticed is that no one that has tried an umbrella has said they have not enjoyed it. The hiker umbrella variety was overwhelming at first but then you notice that Liteflex makes several of the other brands and that brand slaps their name on it and sells it second hand. I chose the GG solely because it was $39 and GG had good reviews on shipping time. (I will get this 2 days after ordering). I will be taking this to PA in substitution of a rain jacket. It is gunna be 85-90 degrees out side and wearing a rain jacket does not seem fun for me in that so lets give it a try.

Puddlefish
06-21-2018, 12:44
Well folks I bit the bullet and got one. I went with the gossamer Gear Liteflex Chrome and for $39 its worth a try to me. One thing I have noticed is that no one that has tried an umbrella has said they have not enjoyed it. The hiker umbrella variety was overwhelming at first but then you notice that Liteflex makes several of the other brands and that brand slaps their name on it and sells it second hand. I chose the GG solely because it was $39 and GG had good reviews on shipping time. (I will get this 2 days after ordering). I will be taking this to PA in substitution of a rain jacket. It is gunna be 85-90 degrees out side and wearing a rain jacket does not seem fun for me in that so lets give it a try.

Just resist if they try to give you the trail name Mary Poppins.

George
06-21-2018, 12:46
I bought a 4 oz totes purse umbrella at grocery store. It folds down to about 7 inches, fits in fanny pack, costs about 7$. Not reflective, no super solid, but is a cheap option to try out. It also lives in car and is handy for sudden showers. I have used it hiking with good results in rain, it also makes a good windscreen for stove. Has lasted about 5 years with occasional use. It’s helpful with Florida sun, even though it isn’t the fancy silver kind.

You will only know if it works for you if you try it out ;*) I would bring mine if rain is expected.

I would like to get the scales this was weighed on - I think that using it would make all my gear lighter