PDA

View Full Version : Camping in Pine Grove Furnace State Park

twinsinpa
06-09-2018, 08:38
We will be hiking north in PA for a weekend trip and a perfect stopping point for the night is in the Pine Grove Furnace State Park. I see there is a group tent camping area but i have a hammock so wondering if any of you have camped there - is it possible or if not are there are any areas to camp right before the park? thanks so much for your help!

Slo-go'en
06-09-2018, 09:38
Never needed to camp there, but have stopped for an early lunch. I got the impression the camping area was a bit of a walk from the trail (which goes right by the store) and it is often full of boy scouts (it was when we went by on a weekend in May).

The Tom Run shelters are only 3 miles before Pine Grove Furnace, why not camp there?

There's a campsite 1.7 miles past Pine Grove, but you'll find it occupied by thru hikers.

Bigfoot86
06-09-2018, 10:16
Been there many times hammocking is just fine plenty of trees in the group area, heck and all over the area

GoldenBear
06-09-2018, 11:11
Weekend trip? If you mean the weekend of June 15-17, then be aware that the camp sites at this park are already heavily booked. On Friday 15th & Saturday 16th, for example, there is barely a spot to be found!
https://tinyurl.com/y8b2k7md
I've learned the hard way that it is NOT a good idea to arrive at Pennsylvania State Park on a weekend, and expect to find a vacancy at the campground!

twinsinpa
06-09-2018, 14:54
Been there many times hammocking is just fine plenty of trees in the group area, heck and all over the area

is it far from the trail?

twinsinpa
06-09-2018, 14:54
thanks i will definitely call first

chknfngrs
06-11-2018, 14:37
It’s defintiely not on the trail but not that far away from it. I think it’s about .25 to .5 miles from the half gallon challenge genera store. Memory serves the campground and group sites are not togeher. Great area and have fun !

twinsinpa
06-12-2018, 18:23
ok so it seems they have no more tent sites? do you know if the group camping area is just OPEN to backpackers and i don't have to call? is there any signs to follow for these sites? thanks so much for everyones help! i am getting so excited.

chknfngrs
06-13-2018, 07:13
Guthook shows a campsite .8 miles north of pine grove general store where the AT intersects the swamp trail

BlackCloud
06-13-2018, 09:45
That park's group campsite is very, very nice. The sites are very large with a nice evergreen canopy overhanging a flat bed of pine needles. One of my fav car camping spots anywhere.