PDA

View Full Version : Section Hampton to 19E

wolfywolfy
06-10-2018, 10:14
I was thinking about doing Hampton 321 to 19E in July. Is there anything notable about this section? I have done roan many times and want to try something different in the area.

Slo-go'en
06-10-2018, 12:10
The PITA climb up to Pond Flats (you can bypass that if you like using a side trail which starts closer to town), Laurel falls, Jones falls and a nice view of the Humps just before you descend to the highway. Otherwise, it's just a walk in the woods. And of course the heat, humidity and thunderstorms.

Dan Roper
06-10-2018, 12:25
My elevation map indicated the most lovely stretch of level walking between Mountaineer Shelter and Moreland Gap Shelter, but it wasn't. It was a lengthy stretch of small uphills and downhills, mostly through a sticky, humid rhododendron jungle. There are a few nice things between 19e and Hampton, Laurel Falls being the highlight. In late July/August, one stretch between some meadows has sweet apples that are superb (not far from 19e). Overall, this stretch is rather bland woods walking with a few elevations.

wolfywolfy
06-10-2018, 15:02
I was thinking about doing Hampton 321 to 19E in July. Is there anything notable about this section? I have done roan many times and want to try something different in the area.

My understanding is Sam's Gap to 19e is rather uneventful as well. I am also leaning toward doing Iron Mtn to Erwin as I have not yet seen beauty spot.

I have done all the grayson highland area and iron mtn to 19e and now looking for another great trail section to do.

Dan Roper
06-10-2018, 15:33
Sam's Gap to 19e is chock-full of highlights: Big Bald, Erwin, Beauty Spot, Unaka, Roan Highlands.

wolfywolfy
06-10-2018, 17:09
My understanding is Sam's Gap to 19e is rather uneventful as well. I am also leaning toward doing Iron Mtn to Erwin as I have not yet seen beauty spot.

I have done all the grayson highland area and iron mtn to 19e and now looking for another great trail section to do.

Whoops, I meant to say Sam' Gap to Erwin above. I heard there is not much after big bald until you get to Erwin.

LittleRock
06-11-2018, 09:52

As an alternative, I'd suggest either Iron Mtn Gap to Erwin (to the south of Roan) or TN 91 to Dennis Cove (to the north of Roan). The former has Beauty Spot and Unaka Mtn, the latter has Laurel Falls and Watauga Lake.

The stretch from 19E to Dennis Cove had nothing special that I can remember. Mountaineer Shelter was nice, but that's about it.

wolfywolfy
06-14-2018, 19:59
Is there a lot of bear activity in the area Dennis cove to 19e?

Tennessee Viking
06-15-2018, 11:22
I was just at Bitter End. Built new tread SOBO of BE. Very humid.

US321 to 19E -
POI:
Pond Mtn cliffs
Laurel Fork Falls
Potato Top (unmarked side trail just yards from the top of the Laurel Fall stairs)
Small waterfall yards from LF shelter.
Kincora / Black Bear Hostel
Old Barn
Dennis Cove cliffs
Side trail to Coon Den Falls (old AT route)
Canute Place
Hardcore Cascades
Mountaineer Falls & Shelter
Jones Falls side trail
High Point
Bishop Hollow
Mountain Harbour B&B (Park here/not TH)

Bears:
North of 19E is mandatory bear warning
Pond Flats has occasional bear sightings

wolfywolfy
06-15-2018, 20:06

US321 to 19E -
POI:
Pond Mtn cliffs
Laurel Fork Falls
Potato Top (unmarked side trail just yards from the top of the Laurel Fall stairs)
Old Barn
Dennis Cove cliffs
Canute Place
Hardcore Cascades
Jones Falls side trail
High Point
Bishop Hollow

Bears:

Thank you for the POI!
What do you mean by "North of 19E is mandatory bear warning"? I am familiar with the warning for the Watauga dam area but what is going on in 19e north.

FrogLevel
06-15-2018, 20:58

US321 to 19E -
POI:
Pond Mtn cliffs
Laurel Fork Falls
Old Barn
Dennis Cove cliffs
Canute Place
Hardcore Cascades
Jones Falls side trail
High Point
Bishop Hollow

Bears:
Have you liked the Lacy Trap trail connector to Frog Level and the AT since the winter? I'm thinking of doing that loop this week. Is it crazy overgrown yet?