PDA

View Full Version : Rock climbing/rappeling along the way?

GaryM
06-11-2018, 17:15
Wondering if the are any areas along the trail, especially Georgia sections where I could get in a bit of climbing/rappeling. Would have gear mailed in and of course mail it back out when completed. Nothing real difficult, just a way to add a bit of spice for a day or two.

Davem
06-11-2018, 19:12
I forget if it’s left or right of winding stair but just a few minutes in one direction or the other are rock cliffs on either side of the road where they do rock climbing. In the winter they’re very popular for ice climbing. Outdoor 76 in Franklin can tell you exactly where it is.

Dogwood
06-11-2018, 19:46
Annapolis Rock/Black Rock MD, Tallulah Gorge SP GA, Yonah Mt GA, Looking Glass NC, bunch of other stuff in Pisgah, bunch of other stuff in NC, WV NY...Bunch of indoor climbing places not overly far from the AT. That would be a great way to spend a so called "zero day."

Burrhead
06-11-2018, 20:48
Everything above. My personal opinion is that if you like to climb you should conserve your zero days and shuttle money and go to looking glass for a couple of days.https://www.mountainproject.com/area/105873294/looking-glass-rock

tdoczi
06-11-2018, 21:08
theres a cliff in SNP, i forget the name but its more towards the northern end, maybe like the north end of the central district, where there was actually a climbing class going on as i hiked by along the top of the cliff.

Kaptainkriz
06-11-2018, 22:25
I think that would be Little Stony Man...there were people rappelling down the cliff when we hiked by a while back.

theres a cliff in SNP, i forget the name but its more towards the northern end, maybe like the north end of the central district, where there was actually a climbing class going on as i hiked by along the top of the cliff.

rocketsocks
06-12-2018, 06:28
Delaware Water Gap

rocketsocks
06-12-2018, 06:29
Take the red trail up, walk the wall back.

GaryM
06-12-2018, 19:18
Wow, awesome info everyone. I guess the I should have also ask if these areas are legal or is discretion called for?

ADK Walker
06-12-2018, 22:18
The Hermitage cliff in Southern PA. Take a Blue Blaze right to the cliff. Easy to set up TR's as well as some bouldering. Great place. First place I ever climbed back in '88

peakbagger
06-13-2018, 05:58
Way too many places to list in NH and Maine. So many that the ones out in the woods don't get any use.