PDA

View Full Version : Take Advantage

skinnbones
06-11-2018, 18:27
After waiting for three decades my door was finally open for a Thru hike attempt. As I struggled my way up the approach trail and headed for that famous plaque on top of Springer, I wasn't just carrying gear and a guide book. I was toting trail knowledge. I was so ready. Next thing I know I'm sitting in Gatlinburg waiting on my ride to Knoxville's airport. It took just 200 miles of trail, some cold dreary rain and twenty two pounds of missing body weight, I was finished. Words can't describe my disappointment. That was spring 2017, now fast forward to today and I'm struggling to push that door open again. Blocking that door now are new bills and new responsibilities. Will I have that opportunity again next spring? The spring after that? who knows. I wish every thru hiker on the trail the best of luck. If you're climbing those rugged hills keep going. You never know when that door will open again. Take advantage while you can.

Elaikases
06-11-2018, 20:59
Twenty two pounds of lost weight is pretty harsh for 200 miles. I wish you the best if you get to launch again.

I do know that I track my calories on the trail. First section hike I lost ten pounds in about a week. Since then I've kept my weight pretty stable on section hikes.

I'm planning on a couple weeks plus this fall to get ready for a through hike next year and will pay a lot of attention to my calories.

Do wish you the best in getting back out on the trail.

Crushed Grapes
06-11-2018, 21:54
As someone who is 43, in great health, working a job that pays awesome (but I hate), I'll be attempting my NOBO AT thru on March 11 '19 (and quitting said job). You only live once.

shelb
06-11-2018, 22:05
You only live once.

True that.

stephanD
06-12-2018, 10:09
If you did the approach trail, it is more like 216 miles to Newfound gap. I did this section south bound, and it is a beautiful section. If you cannot do the thru hike, Why not do Sections?

TNhiker
06-12-2018, 10:23
Words can't describe my disappointment

don't be disappointed------what you did is still better than what most people have done....

skinnbones
06-12-2018, 15:01
StephanD> I hiked Springer to Clingmans Dome + the approach trail. I don't count the approach trail because it's not part of the AT. Think it was 199.2 miles. Yes, I'm now a section hiker. Just not sure when I can return.

skinnbones
06-12-2018, 15:02
Thanks, TNhiker

Countyline
06-12-2018, 15:26
I have wanted to thru hike since I was 16 years old. Now, 43 years later, I am in no better position work-, family-, financial- or otherwise to do such a thing. But I did my first section hike in early May and I'm heading back for the next section very soon. I came off the trail sooner than expected and learned a lot of valuable lessons in the process. But I will be picking up exactly where I left off and I hope to continue doing so until I finish the entire trail. I might be 70 when I'm done but I'm not going anywhere so what's the hurry. Not sure if this constitutes a thru-hike (probably not) but it's the best I can do and I'm loving it. Think about it.

MuddyWaters
06-12-2018, 15:43
You only live once.

What if your Hindu??

stephanD
06-12-2018, 16:24
StephanD> I hiked Springer to Clingmans Dome + the approach trail. I don't count the approach trail because it's not part of the AT. Think it was 199.2 miles. Yes, I'm now a section hiker. Just not sure when I can return.

I attempted the flip-flop in 2015 from HF, but had to get off at Hanover NH due to a serious knee injury. did not hike for two full years out of fear of hurting my knee further, then decided to do the said section in 2017. still painful, but manageable. We are practically the same age, so we have at least twenty years of hiking ahead of us....:D

GreatDane
06-12-2018, 16:47
Hey, Skinnbones, I'm in Clearwater. The dream never really dies. After a failed attempt four plus years ago, I'm trying to get to the AT in October to do a shake down hike (again) in Georgia, hoping to do a thru before I turn 70. If not, I'm gonna section hike that sucker, if it's the last thing I do. ;)

Berserker
06-12-2018, 17:27
There's no shame in section hiking until you get another shot to attempt a thru...and if you don't, you just might find you actually like section hiking :D

Dogwood
06-12-2018, 18:55
There's no shame in section hiking until you get another shot to attempt a thru...and if you don't, you just might find you actually like section hiking :D

+1 Dont let someone else's definition determine your hike. Plan a hike. Do the hike. You thru hiked your hike.

skinnbones
06-12-2018, 21:02
Hey, Skinnbones, I'm in Clearwater. The dream never really dies. After a failed attempt four plus years ago, I'm trying to get to the AT in October to do a shake down hike (again) in Georgia, hoping to do a thru before I turn 70. If not, I'm gonna section hike that sucker, if it's the last thing I do. ;)
Hey Clearwater neighbor. I was planning to section hike Clingmans Dome to Hot Springs, NC in late August but funds not looking promising at the moment. If this doesn't plan out, I'll aim for next spring to continue. Good luck with your October trek.

Slo-go'en
06-12-2018, 21:08
I like 6 week trips once a year, typically in the spring. That's long enough to feel like I've done something and have covered some decent miles but short enough that the time away from home is manageable. It's long enough to get into decent shape but not so long that it beats you up.

Keep doing these LASH hikes every year and all of a sudden you've done the equivalent of several thru hikes.

stephanD
06-13-2018, 08:25
Same here, Slo-go'en. I have six weeks this July - August, and i hope to do the great state of Virginia from Front Royal to Damascus. Or at least as far as i can walk without killing my knee too much.