PDA

View Full Version : Vandalism, Colorado National Monument

John B
06-12-2018, 09:08
When I read about vandalism in national parks, it really bothers me not just as someone who cares about our natural areas, but also as someone who is frequently involved in cleaning up the damage.

I do trail maintenance on the second Saturday of every month at Red River Gorge in Kentucky.

There have been several instances of people spray painting (or worse yet, carving) graffiti on sandstone outcroppings. Last year near the Sky Bridge section at Red River, trail maintenance crews had to devote 2 outings to clean it up. The paint goes into the grain, cracks, and indentations on the sandstone, and it was necessary to use a sand blaster to clean it off.

I saw a LOT of graffiti on the AT. Thankfully most was confined to shelters where it is easier to clean up. Still, if common decency isn't enough to prevent vandalism, then I think that it's time to consider stronger criminal penalties. Maybe that won't work, either, but it's worth consideration

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/Colorado-National-Monument-vandalism-promposal-12985677.php

TNhiker
06-12-2018, 10:01
I do trail maintenance on the second Saturday of every month at Red River Gorge in Kentucky.

awwwww man.............i feel for you on that one...............the Gorge was one of the worst places ive been for trash and damage............i finally just stopped hiking in there....

then I think that it's time to consider stronger criminal penalties

the trouble is actually catching and prosecuting the people who do the damage....

chknfngrs
06-12-2018, 12:50
Graffiti is stupid

MuddyWaters
06-12-2018, 13:53
Theres people we simply dont need .

HooKooDooKu
06-12-2018, 14:52
As if vandalism isn't bad enough... it was a "promposal". Hate to think what the guy is going to do when it comes time for a marriage proposal... paint it in 10' letters across Mount Rushmore?

rocketsocks
06-12-2018, 15:34
Never marry a fella who couldn’t even afford a bubble gum machine promised ring...cheapskate!

Berserker
06-12-2018, 16:13
I've seen some graffiti on the AT, but Bake Oven Knob easily took the cake. The whole summit where there's a view has stuff spray painted all over it...looks like a real party area.

Old Grouse
06-12-2018, 17:27
Shenandoah Mountain, just before RPH Shelter, gets its share; it has a view of NYC and it isn't too far from the road for the locals to carry up their cases of beer for an evening of drinking and littering. Does a giant American Flag painted on the rock qualify as patriotism or just graffiti?

Dogwood
06-12-2018, 18:20
Criminal penalties cleaning bathrooms. Prosecuting these jerks means picking up those highly coveted phones dialing authorities giving as much info gleaned as possible to prosecute them.

rocketsocks
06-12-2018, 21:25
Shenandoah Mountain, just before RPH Shelter, gets its share; it has a view of NYC and it isn't too far from the road for the locals to carry up their cases of beer for an evening of drinking and littering. Does a giant American Flag painted on the rock qualify as patriotism or just graffiti?in my book it does, and I’m a flag wavin’ no knee kinda guy.

rocketsocks
06-12-2018, 21:26
Whoops...graffiti.

Hosh
06-13-2018, 20:11
Shenandoah Mountain, just before RPH Shelter, gets its share; it has a view of NYC and it isn't too far from the road for the locals to carry up their cases of beer for an evening of drinking and littering. Does a giant American Flag painted on the rock qualify as patriotism or just graffiti?

Or, it’s cases of Dom Perignon carried up by undocumented servants in ballet slippers and pink tutus leaving behind half eaten caviar jars and Portugal cork, is it considered art.

Oh Buffy, you look marvelous in your vagina hat.