PDA

View Full Version : Woods Hole?

MtDoraDave
06-12-2018, 21:05
I posted in the hostel section, but being unsure of how much traffic that part of the site gets, I'm posting here, too.

I'm about to do a section with Woods Hole in the middle of it.
I called today and left a voicemail, asking if they shuttle and that I might stay at their place mid week...and haven't gotten a call back yet.
Anyone have current input or info about woods hole?
Should I be trying to find a different shuttler?
I'm going to be hiking from O'lystery pavilion (mi. 556) and hiking nobo 100 miles. Prefer to park at the north / end of the section and shuttle back to the starting point.
Tips or suggestions welcome.

chef4
06-13-2018, 08:48
I've stayed there twice, most recently in April; it's just a few hundred yards off the trail. The food is outstanding, and the property is very well-maintained. I don't believe they offer shuttle service, but they will recommend several local providers. They're usually quite reliable about getting back to you, it's likely they may be overwhelmed by 'the busy season' now. Neville is a great host.

SteelCut
06-13-2018, 08:56
I've stayed there twice, most recently in April; it's just a few hundred yards off the trail. The food is outstanding, and the property is very well-maintained. I don't believe they offer shuttle service, but they will recommend several local providers. They're usually quite reliable about getting back to you, it's likely they may be overwhelmed by 'the busy season' now. Neville is a great host.
I stayed with them last summer and it seemed they were not actively shuttling as apparently it took too much time away from their farm. Don Raines is an active shuttler in Pearisburg, so the OP might want to contact him.

I agree that Neville is a great host.

Gambit McCrae
06-13-2018, 08:57
Contact Don Raines, can not go wrong with him. I have used him many times and always A+ experience

u.w.
06-13-2018, 10:39
Contact Don Raines, can not go wrong with him. I have used him many times and always A+ experience

I definitely agree. I used Don twice when I sectioned that area. Once from Pearisburg down to the Mt.Rogers visitor center & once from Troutville down to Pearisburg. As Gambit says, 100% A+ experience.

u.w.

carouselambra
06-13-2018, 13:00
I have a very small sample size with Woods Hole, but I will pass on this info. I section hiked that area last year and some folks that were hiking in that area had these experiences:
1) A hiker was replacing a tent and had the replacement shipped to Woods Hole. I don't recall the exact details, but I know that the hiker was trying to work with Woods Hole to get their malfunctioning tent shipped back and Woods Hole was not too accommodating. The hiker said they understood the hostel was not a post office, but they had made arrangements so that they could pack the box up and had covered the shipping and/or a replacement shipping label. IIRC, the hiker had agreed to pay a fee for the holding/pickup of the new tent and they were not happy that the hostel charged them to drop the return package off on their next town run.
2) Some hikers went down to the hostel for lunch and thought they could get lunch. They didn't realize that the licensing/permitting restrictions prevented that. They got what snacks/drinks they could and were not out anything because lunch would have just been a bonus lunch. No problems and moved on.
3) A hiker was taking his girlfriend on her first hike, a 200 mile section. They were looking forward to staying at Woods Hole for a zero as that was about their halfway point. They got to Woods Hole to find that supper would not be served the first night because one or both of the owners unexpectedly had to be somewhere else that evening. This kind of stuff happens when you run a small business, but it was a real bummer for the couple.

When I went through there I stayed at the Wapiti shelter and then the next night stayed at a dry campsite on the powerlines north of Woods Hole. Great nighttime views up there on both sides of the ridge. Also, easiest bear bag hang ever....on the power line structure.

Also, I echo the recommendation of Don Raines for shuttling in the Pearisburg area.

MtDoraDave
06-13-2018, 13:34
Thanks everyone.
I did talk to them at Woods Hole and she was going to shuttle me, but since she couldn't do the before and after shuttle (going to a wedding I think), she gave me Don Raines' number.
I'm all set now.
I think. :)