PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Thru-Hike Georgia to Maine

lager
06-14-2018, 21:39
I will be attempting a thru-hike in March 2020 starting in Georgia. Does anyone else have plans at this time? It might be too early to ask. I will be finishing college and relocating but wanted to use the window of time before I move to do the trail since it is the only feasible time I will have to complete it.

gracebowen
06-15-2018, 02:09
That's my hopefully year too. I hope to leave the some time on or after 20th stay in DC for 2 to 3 days and then head to Harper's ferry to start my flip flop attempt. My son turns 18 that year

AngryGerman
06-20-2018, 18:17
Never too early to ask. My wife and will be heading SOBO at the end of July 2020; if I can wait that long. Maybe we will see you up north.

Most essential part to the plan is your gear list and physical/mental prowess. If your base weight is over ten lbs. w/out food and water look a little deeper. The lighter the pack the more likely the chance you will succeed and enjoy the journey.
Also consider UL synthetic options for a jacket and quilt/sleeping bag. I have a 28* quilt that is less than an ounce heavier than my equal temp rated down quilt.
Practice with your gear to boot! Don't let the added stress of inexperience along with exhaustion and hunger ruin your trip either.
Don't rule out hammocks. Hammock setups can be very comfortable and of dual purpose. You can use a hammock as a ground shelter. Dual purpose much of your gear to save in weight.

Good luck.

mhamby
06-20-2018, 19:10
I'm planning on heading out in late Feb-early Mar 2020. This will be my semi-retirement gift to myself!

Nanatuk
06-20-2018, 20:06
I retire in December and hoping to start NOBO 1st week of March.

Lewis Clark
07-28-2018, 19:42
I'm starting to make plans for a north bound through hike in Late Feb./early March that year.

ChickenMamma
08-16-2018, 11:11
New here, first post but long time lurker though.

Another class of 2020 here. I plan on doing a flip-flop starting at Rockfish Gap, VA heading NOBO, around middish April I think. Still dialing in the date. I have been dreaming of a thru-hike since 2012, but life happens and it is only til now that I can finally seize the opportunity. I have another year left with my orthodontics ( I will have fabulous teeth for the trail :D ) and the reason is lost on me on why I got braces in my 40's, seemed like a good idea at the time. This also gives us another year to add to our savings. I could have almost hiked twice on what I paid for my teeth :eek: or at least got some really nice gear and done one thru.

I had initially always thought that I would do a traditional NOBO, but I have no problem finishing atop Springer, being the Southern girl that I am and the flip-flop is just more appealing to me. There is no rush or hurry to get to Katahdin. And I would like to finish atop Springer on my birthday in mid October with my family at my side. The logistics of them finishing my hike with me on Katahdin would be much more complicated. Its just a 4 hr car ride for them to get to Springer as opposed to an 18+ hr car ride or expensive airline tickets and the hassle of flying to Maine.

Plus the second half of my trip after I get below Grayson Highlands, my husband and son are never more than 3-4 hrs away, so if I am feeling homesick, its just a quick car ride for them to join me for a day or two. My hubby plans on taking his vacation when I flop and slack pack me for a week through Virginia. I think that will help me mentally getting back on the trail after Katahdin.

This next year will see me preparing my gear, and hopefully tons of 5 day trips as I only work Saturday and Sunday so I do have the opportunity for multi-day hikes. Being in the foothills of western NC, I have tons of places to visit to do my shakedowns. My biggest problem is finding hiking appropriate clothes. I am full figured and too big for anything in REI and other outfitters carry. So maybe lose some weight too to get to a smaller clothing size. I know that 20 months seems a little early to be planning, but a girl can dream and plus I am getting older and the older I get faster time passes me. I really cant believe that September is almost here already and before you know it, it will be 2019!

So I have put it out there, my husband is supportive and encourages me, I have announced it at work (bye bye in 19 months peeps!) and I am posting it here.

Ghost06
08-18-2018, 05:09
Hi all! Hoping to start a NOBO through hike in 2020. I’m based in New Zealand and iv never even been to America before so feeling a little over whelmed by all the planning ahead!

My boyfriends still deciding whether he will join me for part of the trail or not so a bit hard to start planning until he makes up his mind.

But feeling incredibly excited and can’t wait to start training :)

SpartanKen
08-18-2018, 08:17
March 1/2 is my plan.

Slo-go'en
08-18-2018, 10:25
I will be attempting a thru-hike in March 2020 starting in Georgia. Does anyone else have plans at this time?

Probably only a couple of thousand people.

Lazy squirrel
12-23-2018, 22:38
Im gearing up for the end of feb/first of march 2020 also. Hope to see you out there

codespace
01-30-2019, 12:42
I'll be doing the approach trail at the end of February, and setting off down the AT on March 1, 2020. Hope to run into you folks on the trail!

Old_Man
01-30-2019, 20:17
I think I first got the bug around 2007? Shortly after the end of a bad relationship. I've had the longing since then but as others have said, life happens. I even made a blog after college about my training and preparations but a job offer came up that I couldn't turn down so I decided to go do the adult thing instead.

I'm currently in a good paying academic job which I have begun losing interest in. I started a Masters program but I have even less interest in that. I have no wife, no kids, nothing but college debt. In the past year, I've become more sedentary as my work responsibilities have increased. I spend most of my days inside on a computer and it's slowly killing me. I'm at the heaviest I've ever been--usually around 145lbs but I've ballooned up to 175 and it shows. Once upon a time, I could go for 10 mile trail runs but lately, all I do is sit behind a computer at home and at work.

I did a shakedown last November from Blood Mountain to Springer and it was majestic, tiring, humbling, and revitalizing. The first few days were non-stop fog and freezing wind and rain.

I think my plan is to flip-flop. I want my dad to be there when I finish and finishing on Springer makes sense because he lives in Florida. I will probably begin near Shenendoah or maybe HF and head NOBO around mid-April.

Good luck to everyone!

chapppstick
02-05-2019, 13:35
I'm planning a northbound thru-hike starting on March 5, 2020! Good luck with the planning!

Tabasco
02-14-2019, 20:52
Headed out March 7, 2020

OzzieChick
02-15-2019, 08:24
Another class of 2020 here. I plan on doing a flip-flop starting at Rockfish Gap, VA heading NOBO, around middish April I think. Still dialing in the date. I have been dreaming of a thru-hike since 2012, but life happens and it is only til now that I can finally seize the opportunity.

I think my plan is to flip-flop. I want my dad to be there when I finish and finishing on Springer makes sense because he lives in Florida. I will probably begin near Shenendoah or maybe HF and head NOBO around mid-April.

I'm planning for a flip flop starting mid-April 2020 also. Hoping to see you both on the trail.
Current plan is to leave from Rockfish Gap about 10 days before the Flip-Flop Festival.

I've been working in engineering for 30+ years and the call to the trail hit me about 2 years ago. Almost 10 years with my current employer and long service leave comes due in 2020. That, and an inordinate amount of accumulated leave makes a perfect backdrop for a thru-hike. The question is, whether I will want to return after. :D
My next project will be 12 months in Norway, hoping the end date lines up perfectly (hoping I don't have to adjust my dates). I'm also hoping for plenty of hiking practice and cold weather gear shakedowns while I'm there.

jb11386
02-19-2019, 00:16
If you think planning for 2020 is early, I'm ALREADY starting to plan a little for my 2022 NOBO hike after graduating high school early... :D And I only live about an hour from the start, haha! Best of luck. Thinking about doing some trail magic next year, so I may see you out there, who knows?

trailmercury
02-19-2019, 14:31
So you are a freshman in high school this year? Awesome! Welcome to White Blaze!

jb11386
02-20-2019, 11:27
Thanks! Indeed... and now that I've made this decision, I can't get out of high school soon enough hahaha

Lifersol
03-21-2019, 22:14
I'm looking at headed out Mar 1, 2020. It's never too early to plan. But TEST your gear, and be comfortable with it! Also, you can register your hike and see how many people are starting on or around your date.

boisty
05-27-2019, 17:42
Have registered for 3/17/2020. Good luck!

lsu4ester
06-02-2019, 10:07
I am looking at a mid June 2020 SOBO start time, depending on when the trails on Katahdin open up. I'm told that they are currently closed. As I do each year, I'll be wishing for a short winter next year. This trip has been in the works since 1972 when I first stepped foot onto the Appalachian Trail in the White Mountains. Retirement now affords me the time to attempt the trip and the body seems to be willing for now. :)

ezdoesit
06-02-2019, 16:11
March 1, 2020, my fifth and final thru-hike if all goes well. See you out there.

EZ-does-it

Randy Watson
06-06-2019, 21:34
March 1, 2020, my fifth and final thru-hike if all goes well. See you out there.

EZ-does-it

Mike? If so send me a message

ezdoesit
06-07-2019, 10:16
Starting March 1, 2020, my fifth and last thru-hike hope to see you out there everyone.

Ez-Does-It

TwistedCF
07-10-2019, 20:26
I'm NOBO in early Feb. It's been a long time coming but 2020 is my year!

ezdoesit
07-11-2019, 10:14
K will do as soon as I find out.

ezdoesit
07-11-2019, 10:16
Mike? If so send me a message
K will do if everything comes together.

bkflex55
07-11-2019, 15:06
Wife and I will be NOBO mid-April (maybe 4/20). In Mexico right now, getting lots of walking and hiking in, hopefully we will be in decent shape for the start, lol.

combat_veteran
09-09-2019, 22:45
I have registered and start my NOBO attempt February 1, 2020. I am a little concerned about the cold but that's just because of my comfort level. But I think I will need the extra time since I move slow so I will brave the chilly weather.

"Semper Fidelis"

Emerson Bigills
09-10-2019, 00:03
Good luck to all in this thread. I know the ATC is doing their best to promote flip-flop hikes and non-traditional NOBO hikes, but ..... I cannot imagine finishing an AT thru-hike anywhere but Katahdin. It is the most spectacular mountain on the entire trail. I don't use the word epic for anything I have ever done, but touching the sign after climbing Katahdin was epic for me.

Springer is a fine mountain, but there are hundreds just like it on the AT. It's just meh.

combat_veteran
09-17-2019, 01:29
So I am making my attempt nobo Feb 1st, 2020. I would like to hear from other hikers who have either section hiked Georgia in early February or thru-hikers who started around the first of February as to what I may expect as far as weather temps.or trail condition. I know I will be spending a lot of time at shelter's so would you recommend a bivy for early February?

Isa23
09-23-2019, 11:44
Planned start date is February 15th as long as a nephew-to-come doesn't mess up the timing :)

Mr. Dio
10-08-2019, 17:00
Also planning my thru hike for March 1st 2020. I've been wanting to do the trail for almost 9 years and this finally looks like the year. Let's hope life doesn't get in my way this time.

Slo-go'en
10-09-2019, 12:00
So I am making my attempt nobo Feb 1st, 2020. I would like to hear from other hikers who have either section hiked Georgia in early February or thru-hikers who started around the first of February as to what I may expect as far as weather temps.or trail condition. I know I will be spending a lot of time at shelter's so would you recommend a bivy for early February?

Go read the trail journals of people who started in early Feb and note how quickly they disappear. Starting that early can result in very slow progress due to bad weather and short hours of daylight. It can also add a lot of extra expense. Many bail before long as being cold and wet 24/7 gets real old, real fast or they blow through their money due to all the days in town waiting out the weather to avoid being cold and wet.

A bivy is a big help in shelter situations as it will add a few degrees to your bag, will help keep the bag clean and dry since rain can blow into shelters and the shelter floors can get wet and muddy from people stomping around and hanging wet clothes in a futile attempt to get them to dry. They just drip water of the floor. Be sure the bivy has a breathable fabric top or condensation will kill you.

Since even that early in the season you still can't be assured of shelter space every night, you'll want a good sized tarp to put over the bivy when you have to camp outside the shelter.

saltysack
10-09-2019, 12:25
Go read the trail journals of people who started in early Feb and note how quickly they disappear. Starting that early can result in very slow progress due to bad weather and short hours of daylight. It can also add a lot of extra expense. Many bail before long as being cold and wet 24/7 gets real old, real fast or they blow through their money due to all the days in town waiting out the weather to avoid being cold and wet.

A bivy is a big help in shelter situations as it will add a few degrees to your bag, will help keep the bag clean and dry since rain can blow into shelters and the shelter floors can get wet and muddy from people stomping around and hanging wet clothes in a futile attempt to get them to dry. They just drip water of the floor. Be sure the bivy has a breathable fabric top or condensation will kill you.

Since even that early in the season you still can't be assured of shelter space every night, you'll want a good sized tarp to put over the bivy when you have to camp outside the shelter.

Yep the few times I used the Borah cuben bivy In shelter was very pleased with it...highly recommend...obviously the top isn’t cuben but a breathable material...only around 6oz....well worth the $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RockDoc
10-09-2019, 21:28

That's absolutely right. Continuing on is difficult enough even in good weather...

Christoph
10-09-2019, 22:45
I love how you say "I'll be attempting a though hike"... It's truly that. It took me 2 tries, I hope it takes you only 1. You'll meet a LOT of people along the way. I made a great friend (we still keep in touch 2 years late and countries apart). You'll meet the same, it really is an amazing experience. I do sections now with my brother and I still keep in touch with a few people I've met (if only for a few moments) and that last's a a lifetime. Just go with the flow and you'll meet some really incredible people along YOUR journey.

Axis
12-11-2019, 16:35
I registered for 2020 NOBO class. To start around 4/1/20, but I plan to scoot that up to mid march.

George
12-14-2019, 15:55
no one starts in march anymore - it's too busy

Cartapouille
12-25-2019, 14:17
Planning on starting in April, NOBO as well. Been dreaming of that trail for years, now this year is my year as I have nothing holding me back! Arriving from Brussels, Belgium, so I don't see myself coming back sooner than Katahdin.

Might have a ton of newbie questions, been reading/watching a lot to prepare but there is just too much. See ya on the trails folks!

RockDoc
12-27-2019, 10:19
There's nothing wrong with an April start. You'll miss a lot of the dismal freezing weather... but probably not all of it. Be prepared.

peakbagger
12-27-2019, 10:52
Planning on starting in April, NOBO as well. Been dreaming of that trail for years, now this year is my year as I have nothing holding me back! Arriving from Brussels, Belgium, so I don't see myself coming back sooner than Katahdin.

Might have a ton of newbie questions, been reading/watching a lot to prepare but there is just too much. See ya on the trails folks!

Just make sure you get your visa issues straight early.

Cartapouille
12-28-2019, 07:05
Just make sure you get your visa issues straight early.

Visa is already done! That's one thing less to worry about.

And yeah avoiding the freezing temps is quite interesting, although I'm prepared i can't pack a winter option to mail back. Just need to see how to get to the begining of the Trail from Atlanta, and a sim card plan to survive there :D

SkullyA
12-31-2019, 00:03
I'm departing on March 15th from Amicolola. So there.
See you out there.

Mr. Dio
01-10-2020, 16:09
April 1-15 NOBO, using the extra two weeks to scrounge a bit more cash in case I need to. See you all on trail

Mr. Dio

hobo a hikin
02-13-2020, 09:34
Maybe some of us or all of us can hook up for a start? Hobo a Hikin

BongoTheOneEyed
03-25-2020, 20:24
Is there a preferred time range to begin one's hike ?

Slo-go'en
03-25-2020, 20:39
Is there a preferred time range to begin one's hike ?

Next year.

July is probably the earliest one should consider beginning. Could be a big SOBO crowd about then.

JNI64
03-25-2020, 20:40

Crushed Grapes
03-26-2020, 00:50
Next year.

July is probably the earliest one should consider beginning. Could be a big SOBO crowd about then.
2020 ain't happening

BillyGr
03-26-2020, 12:22
2020 ain't happening

Seems like it could be possible as others suggested - more likely for those who can hike faster being starting later.

Fredt4
03-26-2020, 16:14
SOBO here we come!