PDA

View Full Version : Hiking without cell phones & gadgets

foodbag
06-15-2018, 09:40
In 1999 and 2005 I did long AT hikes without benefit of a cell phone, GPS, altimeter or any of that other stuff. All I had was my Wingfoot guidebook. Now, as retirement approaches and I begin turning my gaze toward returning to the Trail, I am weighing the impact of using any devices, other than a camera and a watch, on my own hiking philosophy.

I must admit that I was envious of a group of hikers that I encountered in '05 who ordered a pizza for dinner at a shelter in NJ. But, I found that shambling along unconnected, without even so much as an iPod, really allowed me to disconnect and I'm not sure that I would want to give that up, even though I'll be in my sixties, and most likely will need to bail out at some point when my feet start acting up, as I know they will. The act of bailing was certainly a challenge after my first two hikes.

Lively Philosophical Discussion anyone?

Gambit McCrae
06-15-2018, 09:53
This may help you decide.

"A Kabash On Electronics"
(https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/128617-A-Kabash-On-Electronics?highlight=)

I considered the same, and if the phone were only for making calls I would probably not carry it, but in todays time, the phone is a multi tool that has consumed the needs of many devices. Including guidebook with integrated GPS and real time location without needed service so that is handy

FlyPaper
06-15-2018, 10:41
In 1999 and 2005 I did long AT hikes without benefit of a cell phone, GPS, altimeter or any of that other stuff. All I had was my Wingfoot guidebook. Now, as retirement approaches and I begin turning my gaze toward returning to the Trail, I am weighing the impact of using any devices, other than a camera and a watch, on my own hiking philosophy.

I must admit that I was envious of a group of hikers that I encountered in '05 who ordered a pizza for dinner at a shelter in NJ. But, I found that shambling along unconnected, without even so much as an iPod, really allowed me to disconnect and I'm not sure that I would want to give that up, even though I'll be in my sixties, and most likely will need to bail out at some point when my feet start acting up, as I know they will. The act of bailing was certainly a challenge after my first two hikes.

Although there are pros and cons, I personally prefer to leave most technology at home. I keep a pay as you go TracFone (make sure it is CDMA and not GSM). I feel sorry for folks hiking with earbuds listening to whatever. Seems like a wasted opportunity to be in nature.

Slo-go'en
06-15-2018, 10:50
What ever. This subject had been beaten to death many times. Just as long distance hiking was not possible before zip lock bags, the same is now true for smart phones.

There are long stretches of the AT where the only sounds of Nature is the drone of highway traffic or just the crunch of my feet. I'd rather listen to music.

Gambit McCrae
06-15-2018, 11:09
Although there are pros and cons, I personally prefer to leave most technology at home. I keep a pay as you go TracFone (make sure it is CDMA and not GSM). I feel sorry for folks hiking with earbuds listening to whatever. Seems like a wasted opportunity to be in nature.

Why would you feel bad for people enjoying what they are doing?

Rain Man
06-15-2018, 11:18
I finished the AT last year at age 66. Was late to the cell phone game at large, not just on the AT. I love my paper maps.

That said, I did transition to smart phones and apps. I wouldn't hike on the AT any longer without my Guthook. (I still carry paper maps and copies of guidebook pages too.)

As far as earbuds, I love history books and occasionally will listen to one or more on long hikes if hiking alone.

And yes, I have ordered pizza delivery to AT shelters more than once!

The rule absolutely is "Hike Your Own Hike."

Dan Roper
06-15-2018, 12:08
Yeah, this subject has been beaten to death. People have strong opinions, express them, and thereby prompt strongly-held counter opinions. So the following is offered as an example of how I like to do it.

Last week, I did a section from Massie Gap to I-81 in Virginia. I didn't carry a phone or any other electronic advice, except my old pocket-sized Sony camera. My longest days were 14, 12 and 14 miles. I listened to bird songs, which I'm pretty knowledgeable about; I did a lot of thinking (more along the lines of "my feet hurt" than any profound thoughts that might change the world); and I occasionally stopped and talked with other backpackers. Over the past 11 years, I've sectioned from Springer to Virginia. I've never carried an electronic device. I like quiet and solitude and the feeling that I'm not tethered to the tyranny of instant and perpetual availability. I like bird song, wind, and the domestic sounds coming from the next town, far down the mountain. The two young people I hiked with did carry phones. One used it to arrange a shuttle from a mountain top on our second-to-last day, thus relieving me of the vague, nagging worry of "how will we get back to our cars? Soon, perhaps as early as this fall, I'll proceed on my next section hike without the company of one or both of my 20-something sons. I will miss the access to their phones - I'll be out of touch with my family for days at a time; I won't be able to call on one of them to make the helpful shuttle call; I won't have it in case of an emergency. In some ways, I am being selfish. If my family needs me badly, it might take hours or even a day or more to track me down. But I prefer life untethered to electronics.

colorado_rob
06-15-2018, 12:33
Sure, beaten to death, but what subject on here is NOT beaten to death? "How much will my hike cost". "What is the best tent for an AT thru". The list is endless. So what? Good topic to discuss, the cell-phone thing. If people are annoyed by repetitive posts, why do they bother to respond??????

So, my take; first, on a typical hike yesterday, a local, quick 7-miler to stretch our legs, we saw a dozen or so people. All young. Every single one of them had ear buds in. Every one. WHAT are they listening to? It baffles me, actually.

But, then again, maybe one day out of four on the trail I'm either listening to music or listening to an audio book on my phone. Makes a day cruise by, and some days out there are just plain otherwise boring.

Mostly though, cell phones are fantastic for four things: navigation, can't be beat, way better than maps (IMO) and just as good these days as stand-alone GPS units. Then, in the evenings, I like to read. A lot. So, my kindle app satisfies that need very well. Then there's that emergency thing, and the occasional touching base with a loved one. And these days, cell phone cameras are stunningly good. One device, four important functions!

We live in a golden age of tech, which can be carried and still used only occasionally to great benefit.

But then again, the beautiful sounds of nature and the sounds of silence....

FlyPaper
06-15-2018, 12:35
Why would you feel bad for people enjoying what they are doing?

Similar to why I feel bad if a child plays 12 hours of video games a day. They don't know what they're losing.

Lone Wolf
06-15-2018, 13:26

i never hike with that stuff

Dogwood
06-15-2018, 13:45
Hiking - backpacking - is a vehicle for detoxing from so many addictions and habits especially in the cultural sense. Try it. It will likely reveal unrealized addictions and habits, making ourselves more aware of what we take for granted or are spoiled by. Backpacking involves some expanding and adapting to new comfort zones.

somers515
06-15-2018, 16:44
To the OP: How about consider taking it to ease your anxiety of when you have to bail out and use it as a camera/watch but not otherwise use it? Just put it in airplane mode. You could tell your family you will only turn it on when in town so no one expects to hear from you and you can stay disconnected while on the trail. Basically you can have the best of both worlds. Or are you afraid that if you have it you won't be able to resist checking it?

GaryM
06-15-2018, 16:46
What if the phone is in airplane mode for the hike?
Just using it with GPS on and Guthook running???

Southeast
06-15-2018, 16:47
People that want no electronics sure post about it all lot.

colorado_rob
06-15-2018, 16:54
Even beyond Airplane Mode (which most folks, I believe, hike with most of the time to save battery), how about carrying an old cell phone that has no service connected to it? I do this, actually, for a backup device when I'm solo in sketchy terrain. Used cell phones are dirt cheap. Get a late model used on on Amazon or wherever, use it for camera, guthook, music player, kindle reader, map reader, AT guide reader, you name it, you just cannot talk to anyone on it!

People that want no electronics sure post about it all lot. Yep, don't they ya know! Like the guy below with over 30,000 posts???

Dogwood
06-15-2018, 18:02
Even beyond Airplane Mode (which most folks, I believe, hike with most of the time to save battery), how about carrying an old cell phone that has no service connected to it? I do this, actually, for a backup device when I'm solo in sketchy terrain. Used cell phones are dirt cheap. Get a late model used on on Amazon or wherever, use it for camera, guthook, music player, kindle reader, map reader, AT guide reader, you name it, you just cannot talk to anyone on it!

Great idea. Most will not give it serious enough consideration though. Compulsive disorders, extent of habits, and consequences of "addiction" especially when they are promoted by culture as desirable are indifferently treated or complacently acceptable at best. Interwad connectivity at the expense of disconnecting from other aspects of LIFE and yakability are what most find themselves habituated by E-escaping and electronic addiction.

Hiking can be a vehicle for examining our behaviors and norms and detoxing from them. Greater awareness and clarity are good goals.

Try shorter term electronic detoxes before the hike.

So no one accuses me of pointing at others from a supposed personal ivory tower attitude I have struggled with this too.

Dogwood
06-15-2018, 18:08
Then what of electronic addicts? While the majority of people use electronic devices to open the world to them, the addict’s world gets smaller and smaller until it is contained in various-sized boxes. Fear of reality drives them further in until it becomes difficult to communicate face-to-face. They can text, e-mail, Facebook, tweet and use any number of other electronic methods because it removes the emotion from interaction. They have escaped into a virtual world with the mistaken belief that it’s a safe place, but this world becomes a prison.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/barb-rogers/electronic-addiction-warning-signs_b_795186.html

Lack of emotion and in person physiological identifiers has consequences in content and clarity of communication. It carries over to how we treat each other. Who else has noticed this and the underlined above in U.S. culture?

...addicted to internet use? A new Chinese study (http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0030253) argues that it certainly happens; it clearly changes brain (https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/neuroscience) and behavior; and that the brain changes seen arein many ways similar to what happens with drug addiction and gambling...
behavioral "addictions" lead to the same brain changes as pharmacological ones....The results were fairly similar(in the Chinese electronic addiction study) to what was seen in people who frequently used alcohol, marijuana (https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/conditions/cannabismarijuana), and cocaine (https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/conditions/cocaine).

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-power-rest/201201/the-kids-cant-stop-is-internet-addiction-real

jefals
06-15-2018, 19:50
I say take the phone. Think of it like insurance - if you wanna use it, you have it.

Another Kevin
06-15-2018, 20:52
I take my phone. It's a camera, a notebook, a GPS, wildflower, tree, bird and rock identification guides, a map, a guidebook and whatever novel I'm reading. It doesn't have service in most of the places I hike, so I'm not even tempted to take it out of airplane mode.

And, as with most nasty habits, I don't do it in front of others.

FrogLevel
06-15-2018, 20:56
I don't feel the need to "disconnect" from anything. I enjoy podcasts and I enjoy nature. Sometimes I hike with music and other times I'll hike without anything.

I think the disdain for electronics or the addiction to them says more about the individual complaining than it does greater society.

fiddlehead
06-15-2018, 21:22
I was close-minded once. (Well, OK, more than once)
When cell phones first came out, I got down on some woman for hers ringing at a shelter.
Sorry.
Now, I'll say this: if you were going to carry a camera, maps, compass, flashlight, radio, GPS, anyway, why not use an "all in one" tool.
And imagine: you can even use it for a phone sometimes.

The problem of course is charging.
And that takes extra weight items that can be heavy.

So yes, it can be a toss-up.
But for me, I can also work and keep in touch with my family so it's a no brainer.

TNhiker
06-15-2018, 22:21
The problem of course is charging.

that ain't the only problem though...

i dont mind others having electronics out in the woods, as long as it doesnt affect me....

phone ringing, music playing, a bright light from watching a movie in a shelter, etc etc etc.....

if people are courageous and considerate about their usage around other people----so be it.....

just like other public places as well----an airplane, a restaurant, a store, the library, a concert, a play etc etc etc...........

Dogwood
06-15-2018, 22:28
Greater society has spoken. Agreements of what constitutes civility and appropriate behavior exist. NO ONE exists in a bubble. How each one of us behaves has consequences on others, the environment, what goes on at an AT lean to campsite, and the Universe People with a modicum sense of personal responsibility and aware consideration of others know this. Texting and driving is illegal. People have died(other people's lives matter too!) from inattentive negligent drivers driving while texting. Laws(rules) exist that consider the whole not just the individual. Use a device on a public bus, plane or train using head phones and talking in a polite tone and level is considered responsible and a reasonable demand. Turning devices off in court and non educational hand held devices off during classroom hrs is considered a reasonable demand. Turning larger devices like laptops off and stowing or into airplane mode is required of us by airlines for the safety of ALL. This carries over to the trail. Be a mensch. It's not always all about me, me, me, I, I, I, mine, mine, mine

While there is some disdain for electronic usage on hikes, as said many times, it's one's behavior in how they use devices that most folks have an issue.

Slo-go'en
06-15-2018, 22:33
Earlier this week I passed several people talking to themselves while hiking. Of course, they were actually talking on the phone. That does seem a bit excessive to me.

TNhiker
06-15-2018, 23:35
Earlier this week I passed several people talking to themselves while hiking. Of course, they were actually talking on the phone. That does seem a bit excessive to me.

at a Dead and Company concert last weekend----a guy was doing this inside the bathroom.........and when he was at the urinal.....

and it was video......

and if anyone follows D and C groups on FB----he is the "celebrity" deadhead.....

foodbag
06-15-2018, 23:41
To the OP: How about consider taking it to ease your anxiety of when you have to bail out and use it as a camera/watch but not otherwise use it? Just put it in airplane mode. You could tell your family you will only turn it on when in town so no one expects to hear from you and you can stay disconnected while on the trail. Basically you can have the best of both worlds. Or are you afraid that if you have it you won't be able to resist checking it?

No problem there with checking the thing every five minutes - I only own an old flip phone - no apps, no camera, and best of all, no ID theft.

garlic08
06-16-2018, 07:14
One of the reasons I go hiking is to get away from the phone.

Bassius
06-16-2018, 08:43
W
I finished the AT last year at age 66. Was late to the cell phone game at large, not just on the AT. I love my paper maps.

That said, I did transition to smart phones and apps. I wouldn't hike on the AT any longer without my Guthook. (I still carry paper maps and copies of guidebook pages too.)

As far as earbuds, I love history books and occasionally will listen to one or more on long hikes if hiking alone.

And yes, I have ordered pizza delivery to AT shelters more than once!

The rule absolutely is "Hike Your Own Hike."
Well said....”Hike Your Own Hike”....

Slo-go'en
06-16-2018, 09:43
One of the reasons I go hiking is to get away from the phone.

You know, it does have an "off" button you can use at any time :)

As Dogwood said, it's not the phone but how, where and when it's used.

MtDoraDave
06-16-2018, 21:52
I, personally, prefer to listen to my thoughts or nature or whatnot as I hike, bike, etc.
The folks I've passed on the trail with earbuds - almost every one of them pulls them out as they pass. That small courtesy makes me happy.
As others have said, the only time I dislike other people's electronics on the trail is when it affects me. I don't really want to hear music. I don't want movie night in a shelter when I'm trying to sleep.
But, in the spirit of hyoh and remembering I'm not in charge, I usually accept it for what it is.
The same person who may cost me an hour of sleep could be the person who has reception and helps me out of a communication emergency of some kind.

cliffordbarnabus
06-16-2018, 23:24
a headlamp is a gadget.

Dogwood
06-16-2018, 23:30
Touting HYOH most often sends the wrong message. It's often taken as do whatever I want on a hike and if it's a OK with me f*&k others...leaving a wake of ill will behind. HYOH most often leads to being self centered and defensive of behaving that way. There's a flip side of HYOH that few ever refer to. It's seldom discussed. It's the responsible side of HYOH, being responsible for your own hike while acknowledging others...being aware that NO ONE hikes in a bubble.

MuddyWaters
06-17-2018, 03:14
The younger generation of hikers today has had cellphones their whole life.
They don't know how to exist without a phone in their hand, or being in constant contact with people they know through texting and social media. It's who they are, it's what they are.

A phone is wonderful for making travel arrangements and staying in contact when in town. Even checking location via GPS now and then is great on poorly marked trails. (The AT is not one of those.) However, some people just need a distraction from hiking because hiking but actually bores them. They focus their attention on data such as an altitude, or gps tracks, or satellite tracking, or listen to podcasts or music. Or blog and social media.

This is an integral part of making hiking tolerable for them. If they enjoyed hiking without these things, they wouldnt use them. All distractions.

These things tell a lot about a persons reasons for being on trail.

Traveler
06-17-2018, 08:27
I see a lot of people of all ages carrying electronic gear like GPS and fitness tracking watches, cell phones and ear buds, SPOT and satellite phones, the list is long.These devices have, for some, largely replaced simple watches, paper maps and other reference materials people used to carry to navigate and identify flora, fauna, and rock. Some people enjoy the data provided by these devices and track time, mileage, elevation gain/loss in spreadsheets, some use these devices to pursue hobby interests like bushwhacking and map making. Most who I have encountered using these devices are usually well mannered with their use though not all, which I presume is the reason for the all-inclusive accusation. I do agree that some individuals are so poorly mannered on the trail it rises to someone having to say something to cease the behavior, however in my experience only a part of that has anything to do with electronic gadgets and fall into the human condition category like stopping foul language in public places, littering, fires in no-fire areas, uncontrolled dogs. These have always been present on trails, now we can add cell phones ringing, loud music on radios, and other annoyances which are variations on the theme. That said, I see a broad age spectrum in these issues and not just the younger generation(s).

Each of us has a way we want to hike, reasons to be on a trail, and interests that attract us when on a trail. There will always be differences of opinion in how hikes should be done like what routes to take, UL gear versus "old school", using a paper map versus electronic, and other differences that broaden the community. The more traveled a particular trail is (especially during weekends and holidays), the more one will see things they disagree with or are annoying occur. However to claim this is only the younger generation is a bit specious and may be equally telling.

Tundracamper
06-17-2018, 08:29
You know, if you hold down the side button on an iPhone, there’s a feature that will actually allow you to turn it off. Most people don’t know a out this feature. You could use that hidden feature to take your phone for the few times you want to use it (use the exact same button to turn it on!) but then not be bothered with it the rest of the time. Maybe someone has written a blog post about this complicated “off” feature available on most phones.

nsherry61
06-17-2018, 09:55
You know, if you hold down the side button on an iPhone, there’s a feature that will actually allow you to turn it off. Most people don’t know a out this feature. . .
Connected to the deep wisdom in this statement, also made by other posters earlier in the thread, is the dark underbelly of this issue, escaping things that create stress in ones life vs. engaging those same things that reduce stress in another person's life.

Some people see cell phones and other technology as an invasion of their serenity and personal space, at least partly because they don't manage those distractions (i.e., the people and companies vying for their attention on those devices) peacefully in their daily lives. Other people see those same tools as little more than tools (and people) that can be turned on and off or ignored as needed of optimize their peace and serenity.

I say, pick your poison, be respectful of those around you with different sensibilities and run with it.

gpburdelljr
06-17-2018, 09:59
I, personally, prefer to listen to my thoughts or nature or whatnot as I hike, bike, etc.
The folks I've passed on the trail with earbuds - almost every one of them pulls them out as they pass. That small courtesy makes me happy.
As others have said, the only time I dislike other people's electronics on the trail is when it affects me. I don't really want to hear music
Why do you consider it discourteous if someone leaves there earbuds in while passing you on the trail. You can’t hear whatever they are listening to if they are wearing earbuds.

TexasBob
06-17-2018, 10:06
Touting HYOH most often sends the wrong message. It's often taken as do whatever I want on a hike and if it's a OK with me f*&k others...leaving a wake of ill will behind. HYOH most often leads to being self centered and defensive of behaving that way. There's a flip side of HYOH that few ever refer to. It's seldom discussed. It's the responsible side of HYOH, being responsible for your own hike while acknowledging others...being aware that NO ONE hikes in a bubble.

Good observation

........I do agree that some individuals are so poorly mannered on the trail it rises to someone having to say something to cease the behavior, however in my experience only a part of that has anything to do with electronic gadgets and fall into the human condition category like stopping foul language in public places, littering, fires in no-fire areas, uncontrolled dogs. These have always been present on trails, now we can add cell phones ringing, loud music on radios, and other annoyances which are variations on the theme. ........

Good observation. Basically, rude and thoughtless people will be rude and thoughtless with or without a phone.

Puddlefish
06-17-2018, 10:14
People that want no electronics sure post about it all lot.

Using electronics. I sure feel bad for them, they don't know what they're missing out on by living a simpler electronics free life and conversing with actual humans in person.

Wait, what?!

:sun

MtDoraDave
06-17-2018, 16:07
Why do you consider it discourteous if someone leaves there earbuds in while passing you on the trail. You can’t hear whatever they are listening to if they are wearing earbuds.
It's not about whether I can hear their music, it's about greeting a fellow traveler.
Their willingness to say hi and possibly have a conversation. That's what it means to me when people pull their ear buds out.

gpburdelljr
06-17-2018, 16:24
It's not about whether I can hear their music, it's about greeting a fellow traveler.
Their willingness to say hi and possibly have a conversation. That's what it means to me when people pull their ear buds out.
I don’t consider it discourteous if they don’t want a conversation, leave their earbuds in, and just give a simple nod in greeting. I go hiking to get away from people.

Starchild
06-17-2018, 17:14
For crying out loud, bring the cell phones, you don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable around you.

Puddlefish
06-17-2018, 17:34

No one owes me a conversation. It's an easy social cue if they leave the headphones in, they don't want to talk to me. This makes my life easier.

I walk a mile down my road to the trails most every day when the trail conditions/snowbanks permit. Most every one of my neighbors out walking, or riding their bike will wave, nod and just go about their day. The few conversations I do have with my neighbors out walking are kind of stilted, it's obviously out of "politeness" but we have little in common, and I'd be just as happy to skip the meaningless pleasantries. There's this one guy on a bike, he hasn't returned my nod once in four years. Is he a jerk, or just not interested in socializing with me during his ride? Is he more, or less of a jerk if he has earbuds in? I figure he owes me absolutely nothing.

On my local trails, it's a slightly different story. Most people wave and keep walking. A few people will chat about something we vaguely have in common about hiking, and then move on. Then there's this one old guy who won't shut up, he seems to think I hike just to be lectured by him. I have to make excuses to escape, because he doesn't take social cues very well.

MtDoraDave
06-17-2018, 21:16
I don’t consider it discourteous if they don’t want a conversation, leave their earbuds in, and just give a simple nod in greeting. I go hiking to get away from people.

I never said or intended to say that the ones who DON'T remove their earbuds are discourteous.
I only said I like that most hikers DO remove their earbuds. Friendly gesture? Courtesy? Manners? Polite?
It is perhaps just another aspect of how friendly most hikers are.
Call it what you like, but don't paint me as offended if someone doesn't do it.

Another Kevin
06-18-2018, 00:36
As others have said, the only time I dislike other people's electronics on the trail is when it affects me. I don't really want to hear music. I don't want movie night in a shelter when I'm trying to sleep.
But, in the spirit of hyoh and remembering I'm not in charge, I usually accept it for what it is.
The same person who may cost me an hour of sleep could be the person who has reception and helps me out of a communication emergency of some kind.

More perspective. I'm an old man. I remember in the 1970s, being annoyed by transistor radios on the trail. But still, once in a while, someone who had one could give me an up-to-date weather forecast. Now it's bananaphones. Tomorrow, it'll be VR headsets or direct neural interfaces or something. Some people will use them as tools, some people will use them as drugs, some people will inflict them on others. As I said, I try to practice my bad habits in private.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqWwsUhrFBw

gpburdelljr
06-18-2018, 08:48
I never said or intended to say that the ones who DON'T remove their earbuds are discourteous.
I only said I like that most hikers DO remove their earbuds. Friendly gesture? Courtesy? Manners? Polite?
It is perhaps just another aspect of how friendly most hikers are.
Call it what you like, but don't paint me as offended if someone doesn't do it.
When you said people removing earbuds were extending a courtesy on a thread where many are bashing electronic usage, it’s logical to assume you believe not removing earbuds is discourteous, even if that is not what you meant.

Puddlefish
06-18-2018, 12:34
More perspective. I'm an old man. I remember in the 1970s, being annoyed by transistor radios on the trail. But still, once in a while, someone who had one could give me an up-to-date weather forecast. Now it's bananaphones. Tomorrow, it'll be VR headsets or direct neural interfaces or something. Some people will use them as tools, some people will use them as drugs, some people will inflict them on others. As I said, I try to practice my bad habits in private.

What kind of monster reminds people about the bananaphone song? You're a bad man Kevin.

nsherry61
06-18-2018, 12:51
More perspective. I'm an old man. . .

And yes, I saw this song (not this cartoon) live in concert for which we payed hard earned Canadian dollars. Raffi is great!

BuckeyeBill
06-18-2018, 14:48
I'm not going to criticize anyone for carrying all their electronic gear. more power to them. If they want ear buds drowning out all the outdoor sounds of nature that's fine as well. The two pieces of electronics gear I carry are a watch and a cell phone (which is shut off in my pack until I make it to a town). I was taught how to use a map and compass long before GPS was available to the general public. That is when maps and orienteering changed. I can now more precisely find my actual position.
I was also taught how to read clouds, barometric changes for weather forecasting. I am of the type of person who wants to hear what is going on around me (the types of things that go bump/rattle in the night). So if the techno geeks want to carry all their gadgets, go for it.

gpburdelljr
06-18-2018, 15:42
I'm not going to criticize anyone for carrying all their electronic gear. more power to them. If they want ear buds drowning out all the outdoor sounds of nature that's fine as well. The two pieces of electronics gear I carry are a watch and a cell phone (which is shut off in my pack until I make it to a town). I was taught how to use a map and compass long before GPS was available to the general public. That is when maps and orienteering changed. I can now more precisely find my actual position.
I was also taught how to read clouds, barometric changes for weather forecasting. I am of the type of person who wants to hear what is going on around me (the types of things that go bump/rattle in the night). So if the techno geeks want to carry all their gadgets, go for it.
In one sentence you say you are not going to criticize anyone for carrying all their electronic gear, and then in another sentence you use the pejorative term “techno geek” to describe them.

evyck da fleet
06-18-2018, 16:00
Instead of hiking with a camera I hike with a phone. Sometimes two if I’m planning on being out for longer than the battery life. I also carry a MP3 player that I listen to in town or my tent. The music is a convenience in town. At one point I’d listen on local hikes so I can see where they would become a habit for some. The camera phone is a convenience for calling shuttles and homes to avoid using a hostels business line or searching for a pay phone. If I was more into reading I could also see the convenience of ebooks.

Its similar to thinking of others and being considerate by not using your phone, playing loud music etc. you don’t want to disturb others. In this case, if you think of why they are doing it, the technology is probably enhancing their enjoyment of their hike with the possible noted exception of tech addiction.

Berserker
06-18-2018, 16:33
I take my phone. It's a camera, a notebook, a GPS, wildflower, tree, bird and rock identification guides, a map, a guidebook and whatever novel I'm reading. It doesn't have service in most of the places I hike, so I'm not even tempted to take it out of airplane mode.

And, as with most nasty habits, I don't do it in front of others.
My sentiments exactly. I carry a cell phone and keep it in airplane mode about 98% of the hike. I use it primarily as a camera, to look at the AWOL guide and as a book. Every couple of days I'll turn on the service and let the wife know I'm alright.

BuckeyeBill
06-18-2018, 16:46
In one sentence you say you are not going to criticize anyone for carrying all their electronic gear, and then in another sentence you use the pejorative term “techno geek” to describe them.

Sorry, I did not mean anything derogatory, that's just me talking. Call me an Old Geezer if you want to.

rocketsocks
06-18-2018, 17:13
I like my gadgets, does anyone really give a tinkers damn...really?

nate.2346
06-18-2018, 20:27
I bring a kindle and leave the phone off aside quick map checks

Alligator
06-19-2018, 00:22
They make mindfulness more difficult.

Listen for the wood thrush.

gpburdelljr
06-19-2018, 00:38
They make mindfulness more difficult.

So does studying a paper map.

Alligator
06-19-2018, 00:46
So does studying a paper map.You're not even close grasshopper:).

gpburdelljr
06-19-2018, 00:51
You're not even close grasshopper:).

Anything that engages your mind (studying a map, reading AWOL’s guide, talking to a fellow hiker, using your phone, etc.), decreases your awareness of your surroundings.

Alligator
06-19-2018, 01:50
Anything that engages your mind (studying a map, reading AWOL’s guide, talking to a fellow hiker, using your phone, etc.), decreases your awareness of your surroundings.Now you are spinning it out further. Map and phone. You can use the map to place yourself in the environment that you are in. You can do that with the phone but the level of distraction is much higher:scrolling, pushing buttons, notifications, lights, etc. The screen is so much smaller too. A topographic map you can look at the contours, place the mountains, know their names, see the trail behind you, in front of you. You unfold it, feel the texture of the paper, follow the lines with your finger. Understand where you are at. You sit down with a map, on a log or a rock, you take a breather, you eat a little food, listen to the forest, feel the weather. Then you are done with it, you fold it up, stick it in a ziplock, stow it away carefully. Or perhaps navigate with it, not be navigated by it. My point though is getting to mindfulness. A map is a simpler tool with less distraction than a phone.

On the other hand, if your brain puckers up when you look at a map, maybe the phone will work better to alleviate one's anxiety as far as to where the hell am I and allow one to focus on the present space.

D2maine
06-19-2018, 05:50
use or don't use whatever electronics floats your boat, just be quiet and respectful of others.

this is the sounds of the woods.

https://youtu.be/jrmxlez2cAg

Traveler
06-19-2018, 06:32
On the other hand, if your brain puckers up when you look at a map, maybe the phone will work better to alleviate one's anxiety as far as to where the hell am I and allow one to focus on the present space.

June 19, 2018 - AP
In the shadowed communities of those dealing with personal issues is a little discussed malady afflicting many in society, brain puckers. Puckering can occur when trying to determine what a 15% tip is, dealing with a map without a North indicator, when trying to decide if the traffic light is green enough to proceed, or deciding when to lean one's elbow on the car horn to prod puckers who linger at a green light. This is a terrible condition that deserves medical community attention where there is currently none.

Fortunately, living in the shadows without a cure has a support group, Puckers Anonymous. This caring if not sometimes confused group provides support for its membership in group meetings and on-line chat rooms. Puckers exist throughout society, many unaware they are not alone in dealing with their condition. In an interview with Evan Dolberry, Executive Director of Puckers Anonymous said, "The growing number of puckers who are realizing they are not alone has reached a critical mass and support groups are emerging all over. It is gratifying to see the movement develop and puckers coming in from the cold for support, compassion, and anxiety relief."

Dolberry has an open invite to his meetings on Thursday nights at Mother's Diner on East Elm Street, "We celebrate the diversity of puckers in society and invite any and all puckers to come join us, be a part of a larger community, and stop living in shame".

Editors note: Mother's Diner has requested no inference be drawn to their corporate relationship with Puckers Anonymous and this topic be enjoyed for the play on words which spawned the concept.

gpburdelljr
06-19-2018, 09:31
Now you are spinning it out further. Map and phone. You can use the map to place yourself in the environment that you are in. You can do that with the phone but the level of distraction is much higher:scrolling, pushing buttons, notifications, lights, etc. The screen is so much smaller too. A topographic map you can look at the contours, place the mountains, know their names, see the trail behind you, in front of you. You unfold it, feel the texture of the paper, follow the lines with your finger. Understand where you are at. You sit down with a map, on a log or a rock, you take a breather, you eat a little food, listen to the forest, feel the weather. Then you are done with it, you fold it up, stick it in a ziplock, stow it away carefully. Or perhaps navigate with it, not be navigated by it. My point though is getting to mindfulness. A map is a simpler tool with less distraction than a phone.

My point is that a phone can be more distracting, but doesn’t have to be. All the things that can be done with a paper map can be done with an electronic map, and can actually be done quicker giving you more time to enjoy nature. Unless your brain puckers up when you encounter technology.

rocketsocks
06-19-2018, 11:07
The only thing that puckers me these days is this stuff, but it’s a good puckering that last for days!42958