PDA

View Full Version : Georgia -- Rainbow Family Gathering near Nimblewill, road closures

glenlawson
06-17-2018, 08:57
The annual Rainbow Family Gathering has selected the Bull Mountain area near Nimblewill as the site of their gathering. This affects usage, road closures and impact on the area. Forest Service estimates that it may attract 5000 to 10,000 people peaking on July 4. Rainbow Gathering sources estimate that the number may be as high as 20,000.

FS-77 (Winding Stair Gap Rd) from near Nimblewill all the way to FS-42 (Cooper Gap Road) is closed due to traffic concerns. This would affect access to Springer Mountain, Three Forks, Hawk Mountain if you planned on going up FS-77 from near Dahlonega.

Here is a link to the information on the Forest Service site:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/conf/home/?cid=FSEPRD583342

and a map of the area and affected roads:

Uncle Joe
06-17-2018, 09:30
There's been chatter about the impact this has on the area with pictures of massive amounts of litter. Let's hope that's not true and that they pick up after themselves. Hopefully but the notion that even a third of that many people could gather and not make a mess is probably wishful thinking. This is the area just East of Springer. You may recall crossing Nimblewill Gap when you do the approach trail. I think you can expect lots of activity around that entire area.

Lone Wolf
06-17-2018, 09:54
it will be trashed for certain

capehiker
06-17-2018, 11:10
A once well meaning ideology of creating a harmonized commune is now an excuse for dirtbags to gather and pollute the woods. An old high school friend goes every year and posts pictures of the mess left behind by those who claim to “be aware”. Nothing but laziness there.

Last Call
06-17-2018, 12:44
I've heard just the opposite, that they are very conscientious about the environment and recycling, it's a "back to nature" type of movement, with much enlightenment for participants and casual observers....

Old Hiker
06-17-2018, 13:29
I hear the bears are all for it.

capehiker
06-17-2018, 16:03
I've heard just the opposite, that they are very conscientious about the environment and recycling, it's a "back to nature" type of movement, with much enlightenment for participants and casual observers....

It’s gotten overrun by the younger millennials who show up for free food, free weed, and a place to crash all while operating under the guise being in touch with humans and nature. Sure, there is a sect of people who are environmentally conscious, but that group is dwindling.

It’s kinda how the inconsideration and feeing of entitlement is becoming so prevalent on the AT and PCT today.

Lone Wolf
06-17-2018, 16:09
It’s gotten overrun by the younger millennials who show up for free food, free weed, and a place to crash all while operating under the guise being in touch with humans and nature. Sure, there is a sect of people who are environmentally conscious, but that group is dwindling.

It’s kinda how the inconsideration and feeing of entitlement is becoming so prevalent on the AT and PCT today.

summed up nicely

Mother Natures Son
06-17-2018, 17:38
You forgot free sex, nudity, booze and of course drugs. How in the world did they get a permit so close to the trail?

KWColorado
06-17-2018, 18:33
https://www.welcomehome.org/tech/cleanup/index.html

wannahike
06-17-2018, 18:51
I was hiking through Ocala Nat'l Forest during one of the regional gatherings. I have never seen so many discarded dirty diapers, toilet paper flowers and dog feces anywhere else. I rather doubt that it was all cleaned up.

devoidapop
06-17-2018, 19:52
https://www.welcomehome.org/tech/cleanup/index.html

I know they mean well, but you can't "disappear" a fire pit. And making a site look at though you have never been there is not the same as leaving it as you found it.

fiddlehead
06-17-2018, 20:11
I've been to 2 of them.
Very different.
One was in Alabama and many of the people were drunk
The other was in California and it was awesome. People having fun, playing music, swimming, (yes some naked) and good times. The grounds seemed clean.
So, I guess it depends on the atmosphere and attitudes.
Don't always judge a happening until you've experienced it yourself.
You might be surprised.

Feral Bill
06-17-2018, 21:06
Compared to much of what happens on Forest Service land (including valuable, well executed projects), it cant be too bad.

Venchka
06-17-2018, 23:39
C
R
O
C
The same folks who go ballistic over a buried pipeline? That provides power for the internet? So they can promote these get togethers?
Burning Man Goes East Hey.
Wayne

middle to middle
06-27-2018, 15:05
You nailed it

perdidochas
06-27-2018, 15:51
C
R
O
C
The same folks who go ballistic over a buried pipeline? That provides power for the internet? So they can promote these get togethers?
Burning Man Goes East Hey.
Wayne

The Rainbow Family predates Burning Man by at least a decade. They began in 1970. Burning Man only started in 1986.

gpburdelljr
06-27-2018, 16:18
Rather than guessing what will, or will not happen, why not visit the site after the event and see what it looks like.

Venchka
06-27-2018, 16:56
The Rainbow Family predates Burning Man by at least a decade. They began in 1970. Burning Man only started in 1986.
Same stuff. Different day.
Wayne

Venchka
06-27-2018, 17:02
“USFS Update for this morning.

For towed vehicles call (706) 864-3633.
Today's estimate of people on site is 1,175.

341 incidents, written warnings, citations and arrests have been issued thus far.”
I wonder. Was a bond posted to pay for all of the costs of this get together?
Wayne

George
06-27-2018, 17:44
Was a bond posted to pay for all of the costs of this get together?

from my short reseach: there is no permits/ bonds/ acknowledged organization of these events - each person is there as an individual - sometimes the forest service has tried mass arrests - current policy is spot roadblocks/ search/ arrest

Two Tents
06-27-2018, 18:32
The one I was at had a set up group that went prior and a larger clean up and reclamatiin crew that stayed after. I was not there for the whole time but did go back to the area and saw no trash or obvious damage. I did not hike the entire area but where I went there was minimal impact. Yea there were some issues with the law. The local population of bad people used the influx if rough looking people to break into hunting camps in the area and figured the rainbow gathering would take the heat. Quite a few arrests had local address according to the news. The troopers looked the other way on some things I suppose. Some fake news regarding these events. I'm sure its different at each one. Just saying.

Venchka
06-27-2018, 19:17
So they try. That’s cool.
Wayne

Uncle Joe
06-27-2018, 20:11
I was up at Cooper Gap on Sunday. The Rangers were doing some training along the road and in the area. This is, of course, on the other side of a loop of forest roads and away from where they are gathered but a law enforcement office was parked at Cooper when I came back from Justus Creek. I asked him , "Are the hippies being have?" He said yes, for the most part. Which is good to hear. I'm sure they don't want any trouble nor would they want anymore scrutiny than they get. It's encouraging to hear they have a plan for dealing with the impact when they are done.

Dogwood
06-27-2018, 22:15
More than weed found at the end of that Rainbow.

George
06-27-2018, 22:44
So they try. That’s cool.
Wayne

videos posted on various websites of the cleaned up sites from past years

Professor Paul
06-27-2018, 23:40
The crotchety animus against young people in some of these posts is unbecoming. HYOH.

George
06-28-2018, 00:12
The crotchety animus against young people in some of these posts is unbecoming. HYOH.
the rainbow thing is left over from the 60's - so not young, or older than you anyway

gpburdelljr
06-29-2018, 23:59
https://www.gainesvilletimes.com/news/rainbow-family-us-forestry-service-officials-standstill/

Odd Man Out
06-30-2018, 08:12
At least Burning man takes LNT seriously. From what I've read, it seems when they are done, their place in the wilderness is spotless

George
06-30-2018, 14:43
At least Burning man takes LNT seriously. From what I've read, it seems when they are done, their place in the wilderness is spotless

they have little choice - they use the same place yearly - with the idea of burning big objects there would be limited alternative spots -

unlike rainbow, they also limit access/ attendance and have acknowledged leadership/ paid ticketing

GaryM
06-30-2018, 17:56
A few years back when they did their thing in the Missouri Ozarks they left it all trashed and torn up.
I bet we will see the same this time.
Maybe anyone who passes through over the next few months can report back.

Venchka
06-30-2018, 18:17
they have little choice - they use the same place yearly - with the idea of burning big objects there would be limited alternative spots -

unlike rainbow, they also limit access/ attendance and have acknowledged leadership/ paid ticketing
and pay and pay. Yikes!
Have fun Y'all!
Wayne

gpburdelljr
06-30-2018, 19:10

And there is no vegetation to trample at Burning Man.

Venchka
06-30-2018, 20:12
And there is no vegetation to trample at Burning Man.
True but then trash would be more visible.
Paying participants are probably more likely to clean up than .... you know.
Oh, Professor! “HYOH” They aren’t hiking. More like congregating and freeloading.
Wayne

Burrhead
06-30-2018, 20:51
I went to rainbow gathering in Kentucky in the early 90's. My friends and I being hillbillies came prepared for a week of camping with crazy items, like food, drinks, cooking equipment etc.. We spent most of the week feeding kids whose parents were off being hippies and to busy to do things like feed their children.. We left our campsite cleaner than we found it and the two campsites next to us. Unfortunately we were the exception not the rule.

Venchka
06-30-2018, 20:55
I went to rainbow gathering in Kentucky in the early 90's. My friends and I being hillbillies came prepared for a week of camping with crazy items, like food, drinks, cooking equipment etc.. We spent most of the week feeding kids whose parents were off being hippies and to busy to do things like feed their children.. We left our campsite cleaner than we found it and the two campsites next to us. Unfortunately we were the exception not the rule.
Thank you for your service!
Wayne

DownYonder
06-30-2018, 21:12
Just searched "rainbow family gathering trash". HUM....I guess I will just keep moving so I won't be banned from this site.

Venchka
06-30-2018, 21:21
Just searched "rainbow family gathering trash". HUM....I guess I will just keep moving so I won't be banned from this site.
I’m with you!
Wayne

Dogwood
07-01-2018, 01:47
Burning Man tickets 4 yrs ago, when I finally knew I had a open window from work to go, were $1000 apiece. This is the least expensive tickets available I found for hanging out in the NV desert. Decided to hike the Tahoe Rim Trail with a tail(a lollipop) to Tuolomne Meadows. Cost less than $400 for that.

Zea
07-01-2018, 21:04
I prefer doing my drugs and having my dirty sweaty group sex at my own home.

To each their own.

Hikers are far from perfect as well, doesn't mean the whole lot of them are 'good' or 'bad'.

Nimblewill
07-02-2018, 09:23
Are folks so naive about the forest ecosystem to think picking up the trash makes this OK? What about the public health threats from water contamination?

How about the norovirus and tainted watersheds this flash mob leaves behind? Or spreads? Look it up, and add abandoned pets, rotavirus, typhoid (yes, it spread too, out from the event--flying, anyone?), unpaid local hospital bills ($175k for the locals where the freeloaders hit in 2012...)

No, the uptick in sales at the Dahlonega WalMart won't cover the $500k the USFS LE&I Incident Command Team, 30-40 federal officers brought in from all over the country, will cost. And the 50 extra Georgia State Patrol troopers. Mobile cell tower at Nimblewill Church, other comms set ups...ride by Station 6, Nimblewill, SR 52. We're paying for that--at the expense of trail maintenance---the Chattahoochee NF already scores only 29% of trails complying w/ USFS standards. Why not taint more of this busy and under-patrolled, un-maintained area so some self-indulgent "hippies" can freeload in our forest. And leave a public health threat from their behinds. How "ecology minded". Where's the port-a-johns? Even the AT has proper privies, and not thousands using them daily at a few sites, laying around for weeks..when not destroying nature.

Abandoned pets, children (missing minors), parvo outbreaks, typhoid even--look it up, before you fly with the returning "down to earth" "hippies". No bond, no permit, no one held to account...bring on the K-9s, if it sends them off somewhere else. Lumpkin County is too poor to be leached off of by outside leaches.

We locals didn't ask for this ambush invasion, and the criminal "drainbows" who tag along, we're laying in wait..the local outlaws and thieves are enough of a high-stakes game, and not enough LEOs to deal with them, but the team here will cost a lot of folks -- criminal charges, towing costs, fines...but the county will still be victimized, and subsidize this sham "peace, love" and lice gathering.

What's next, USFS?, letting the ATV Club take over the AT? The Land Rovers club trash the roads...we have elements of both causing harm already. Any more, and we forest neighbors will show these selfish freeloaders how protective we are of what's precious. Starting with defending our water, our property, and then we push back to defend our dignity. If these freeloaders who came to arrogantly destroy our public land don't get a federal or state ticket while here, they should.

You or I couldn't do this obnoxious selfish crap, and they shouldn't be allowed to either. And for you illegal flash mob supporters, who among you are taking care of the children DFCS just had to take in with these arrests? Some narcotics carrying mommy and daddy came to get nekkid and drugged--more than one case, for sure, but today's custody hold of a 3,5,7, and 9 yr old taken at a narcotics bust--streamed on the Lumpkin scanner online, gives a more honest picture of what our LEOs are dealing with...and dogs, like pit bulls, not on leashes. And belligerent folks blatantly violating forest rules, disrespectful of our forest protectors.

Charge them all with violating USFS rules---this can't go unanswered. We don't want a precedent here for the local redneck "trash the forest laws be damned" crowd to mimic. All that "love and peace" crap is just veneer covering selfish behavior. And we are paying for it. Post a clean-up and medical support bond, get a permit, be accountable for your scoped and approved event, and take your crap with you, otherwise, go to jail. We'll bring the school buses, and put you in the football field, under lights.

And don't come back, freeloaders. We locals might be upset. We don't forget those who trample over us and ignore our public forest rules.

Puddlefish
07-02-2018, 09:46
Well, that's a disturbing fascist political rant.

jackwagon
07-02-2018, 10:44
On the website posted above, https://www.welcomehome.org/tech/cleanup/index.html the group links to FS documents. I only read the 1999 FS impact study https://www.welcomehome.org/sites/pa99/fs/99fsreport1.htm, and the impact even after trash removal seems pretty grim. From the report, '- Wildlife and Plant Species of Concerns: Family members reported several sightings of rattlesnakes during the gathering. One participant was bitten and transported to a local medical facility. One Family member reported that a dog had allegedly captured and killed an northern water shrew. The site has been reviewed by the Pennsylvania Game Commission. In their opinion, the "damage to the area wildlife populations was devastating and will be felt for years." "Many wildlife species were unable to complete their reproduction cycle because of human disturbance and/or nest destruction by either the people or the thousands of dogs they brought with them."'

There are also quite a few other concerning items noted.

Last Call
07-02-2018, 12:08
It's all Peace, Love, and Rock-n-Roll....what's a few dead flowers here and there compared to the energy and enlightenment exuded by this wonderful gathering? At least they are not protesting....

Feral Bill
07-02-2018, 12:22
Compare the damage done by this activity to any of hundreds of resource extraction projects happening on FS land nation wide. It's trivial.

DownYonder
07-02-2018, 12:35
Compare the damage done by this activity to any of hundreds of resource extraction projects happening on FS land nation wide. It's trivial.

So, it's ok for me to throw our plastic drink bottles into the ocean when blue water fishing because the cruise ships dump so much more? Sorry, doesn't make it ok!

Feral Bill
07-02-2018, 13:13
So, it's ok for me to throw our plastic drink bottles into the ocean when blue water fishing because the cruise ships dump so much more? Sorry, doesn't make it ok!

I'm going to be more concerned with the cruise ship, mass dumping, over fishing. offshore drilling and such. But no your trivial littering is still not right.

Puddlefish
07-02-2018, 13:32
I think a lot of people don't understand about cumulative effect caused by individuals. Concentrating the people into groups, easily illustrates the impact of pollution, litter and overuse of packaging. It's just easier to see it, but it's not necessarily any worse than what we do in small groups.

On the trail, at home, on a cruise ship, in a Hippie festival, it's still one person at a time, using a plastic bottle once and immediately disposing of it. It's the mindset of "what I do, won't matter all that much, I'm only one person" multiplied a few billion times.

I end up polluting more when I'm on the trail for distance hikes than I do at any other activity in my life. I burn through plastic bags to keep my food dry, fresh, vermin free, and lightweight. Yeah, I hike them out, but they still go into landfills, or are burned, or to wherever that trash container is emptied into.

Last Call
07-02-2018, 14:21
Plastic, disposable water bottles are an abomination, and should be outlawed, along with the plastic straws.

BuckeyeBill
07-05-2018, 11:25
The annual Rainbow Family Gathering has selected the Bull Mountain area near Nimblewill as the site of their gathering. This affects usage, road closures and impact on the area. Forest Service estimates that it may attract 5000 to 10,000 people peaking on July 4. Rainbow Gathering sources estimate that the number may be as high as 20,000.

FS-77 (Winding Stair Gap Rd) from near Nimblewill all the way to FS-42 (Cooper Gap Road) is closed due to traffic concerns. This would affect access to Springer Mountain, Three Forks, Hawk Mountain if you planned on going up FS-77 from near Dahlonega.

Here is a link to the information on the Forest Service site:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/conf/home/?cid=FSEPRD583342

and a map of the area and affected roads:

The organizers for the first Woodstock Festival in 1969 also thought their numbers would be low as well. Well I guess they were wrong, as more than 400,000 people showed up. They finally quit charging and just let people in. The clean up took about two weeks, with many concert attendees helping out. People also just abandoned their cars on the small country roads that led to the concert.

gpburdelljr
07-05-2018, 11:38
The organizers for the first Woodstock Festival in 1969 also thought their numbers would be low as well. Well I guess they were wrong, as more than 400,000 people showed up. They finally quit charging and just let people in. The clean up took about two weeks, with many concert attendees helping out. People also just abandoned their cars on the small country roads that led to the concert.

In a news article yesterday the USFS estimated there were 4,500 people, quite a bit less than the 10,000 to 20,000 that some were expecting.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/30-arrested-at-rainbow-family-gathering-nearly-900-citations-issued/782942280

Last Call
07-05-2018, 13:43
But why are the police arresting those peace loving nature enthusiasts? Using 4 or 5 tow trucks at a time is nothing more than harassment.

Tipi Walter
07-05-2018, 14:14
Compared to much of what happens on Forest Service land (including valuable, well executed projects), it cant be too bad.

Agree.

Are folks so naive about the forest ecosystem to think picking up the trash makes this OK? What about the public health threats from water contamination?

How about the norovirus and tainted watersheds this flash mob leaves behind? Or spreads? Look it up, and add abandoned pets, rotavirus, typhoid (yes, it spread too, out from the event--flying, anyone?), unpaid local hospital bills ($175k for the locals where the freeloaders hit in 2012...)

No, the uptick in sales at the Dahlonega WalMart won't cover the $500k the USFS LE&I Incident Command Team, 30-40 federal officers brought in from all over the country, will cost. And the 50 extra Georgia State Patrol troopers. Mobile cell tower at Nimblewill Church, other comms set ups...ride by Station 6, Nimblewill, SR 52. We're paying for that--at the expense of trail maintenance---the Chattahoochee NF already scores only 29% of trails complying w/ USFS standards. Why not taint more of this busy and under-patrolled, un-maintained area so some self-indulgent "hippies" can freeload in our forest. And leave a public health threat from their behinds. How "ecology minded". Where's the port-a-johns? Even the AT has proper privies, and not thousands using them daily at a few sites, laying around for weeks..when not destroying nature.

Abandoned pets, children (missing minors), parvo outbreaks, typhoid even--look it up, before you fly with the returning "down to earth" "hippies". No bond, no permit, no one held to account...bring on the K-9s, if it sends them off somewhere else. Lumpkin County is too poor to be leached off of by outside leaches.

We locals didn't ask for this ambush invasion, and the criminal "drainbows" who tag along, we're laying in wait..the local outlaws and thieves are enough of a high-stakes game, and not enough LEOs to deal with them, but the team here will cost a lot of folks -- criminal charges, towing costs, fines...but the county will still be victimized, and subsidize this sham "peace, love" and lice gathering.

What's next, USFS?, letting the ATV Club take over the AT? The Land Rovers club trash the roads...we have elements of both causing harm already. Any more, and we forest neighbors will show these selfish freeloaders how protective we are of what's precious. Starting with defending our water, our property, and then we push back to defend our dignity. If these freeloaders who came to arrogantly destroy our public land don't get a federal or state ticket while here, they should.

You or I couldn't do this obnoxious selfish crap, and they shouldn't be allowed to either. And for you illegal flash mob supporters, who among you are taking care of the children DFCS just had to take in with these arrests? Some narcotics carrying mommy and daddy came to get nekkid and drugged--more than one case, for sure, but today's custody hold of a 3,5,7, and 9 yr old taken at a narcotics bust--streamed on the Lumpkin scanner online, gives a more honest picture of what our LEOs are dealing with...and dogs, like pit bulls, not on leashes. And belligerent folks blatantly violating forest rules, disrespectful of our forest protectors.

Charge them all with violating USFS rules---this can't go unanswered. We don't want a precedent here for the local redneck "trash the forest laws be damned" crowd to mimic. All that "love and peace" crap is just veneer covering selfish behavior. And we are paying for it. Post a clean-up and medical support bond, get a permit, be accountable for your scoped and approved event, and take your crap with you, otherwise, go to jail. We'll bring the school buses, and put you in the football field, under lights.

And don't come back, freeloaders. We locals might be upset. We don't forget those who trample over us and ignore our public forest rules.

I get your rant. I went to the 1987 National Gathering in NC (near Tapoco) and it was certainly a cluster. But your lice comment reminds me of Col Chivington who massacred a bunch of Cheyenne Indians at Sand Creek in 1864. When asked why slaughter women and children, he said "Because nits make lice".

Totally agree and have pics to prove FS destruction of our public lands thru logging and road building and allowing paved tourist roads to be built after forest land is given to county tourist boards---which then become loud motorcycle racetracks, i.e. the Cherohala Skway in TN/NC. 10,000+ humans on a little bit of forest land for a couple weeks is nothing compared to the permanent scars left by bulldozed roads to get in for logging.

Last Call
07-05-2018, 14:35
Agree with Tipi Walter on the loud motorcicles....why do those things have to be so loud? I wish the authorities would enforce the noise ordinances....

JC13
07-05-2018, 14:51
Agree with Tipi Walter on the loud motorcicles....why do those things have to be so loud? I wish the authorities would enforce the noise ordinances....Because someone thought it would make people think it was ok by saying that loud motorcycles save lives.

George
07-05-2018, 20:36
But why are the police arresting those peace loving nature enthusiasts? Using 4 or 5 tow trucks at a time is nothing more than harassment.

attendees of the rainbow gatherings ignore rules, guidelines, etiquette, etc in their use of forest service facilities - they create hazards with alchohol/ drug use / overcrowding - then park illegally blocking access for emergency vehicles - and you want to call towing "harassment" - might want to remove the blinders

since they do not get permits, there is no room to complain about how the forest service deals with the issues they create

gpburdelljr
07-05-2018, 22:38
attendees of the rainbow gatherings ignore rules, guidelines, etiquette, etc in their use of forest service facilities - they create hazards with alchohol/ drug use / overcrowding -

Kind of like some AT hikers.

George
07-05-2018, 23:24
Kind of like some AT hikers.

yeah, but when you are spread over 2000 miles enforcement goes from difficult ........ to near impossible

Last Call
07-06-2018, 01:42
attendees of the rainbow gatherings ignore rules, guidelines, etiquette, etc in their use of forest service facilities - they create hazards with alchohol/ drug use / overcrowding - then park illegally blocking access for emergency vehicles - and you want to call towing "harassment" - might want to remove the blinders

since they do not get permits, there is no room to complain about how the forest service deals with the issues they create

welp...at least the local hayseeds are raking in some of the dough....it's all about the revenue!

daddytwosticks
07-06-2018, 07:26
welp...at least the local hayseeds are raking in some of the dough....it's all about the revenue!

Hayseeds? Now there's a slur I haven't heard in a long time. :eek:

Bigmark
07-06-2018, 10:08
And now they've had a run in with the law, not having proper usage permits for camping. etc.

gpburdelljr
07-06-2018, 11:20
And now they've had a run in with the law, not having proper usage permits for camping. etc.
I thought you could camp anywhere in a National Forest, unless posted otherwise.

martinb
07-06-2018, 13:16
Not large groups.

gpburdelljr
07-06-2018, 13:55
Not large groups.
Here is a quote from Wikipedia:

“......There are no official leaders, no formal structure, no official spokespersons, and no membership. Some rainbow family participants make the claim that the family is the "largest non-organization of non-members in the world"......”

So a Rainbow Gathering is a lot of individuals coming together in the National Forest, and an individual can camp anywhere in the National Forest without a permit, unless posted otherwise. So, although the USFS often say the gatherings are “unpermited”, I suspect they don’t stop them because their lawyers have told them a permit is not required.

generoll
07-06-2018, 15:21
pretty harmless so far. it will be interesting to see how well they clean up after themselves.

Traveler
07-07-2018, 07:11
Hayseeds? Now there's a slur I haven't heard in a long time. :eek:

I get a chuckle out of the term "hippies" used as a slur. Hasn't been a self respecting hippie around since 1974 :-?

Venchka
07-07-2018, 19:54
Here is a quote from Wikipedia:

“......There are no official leaders, no formal structure, no official spokespersons, and no membership. Some rainbow family participants make the claim that the family is the "largest non-organization of non-members in the world"......”

So a Rainbow Gathering is a lot of individuals coming together in the National Forest, and an individual can camp anywhere in the National Forest without a permit, unless posted otherwise. So, although the USFS often say the gatherings are “unpermited”, I suspect they don’t stop them because their lawyers have told them a permit is not required.
I don’t have the exact wording in front of me, but the guidelines for dispersed camping are in the triple digits, 100’-200’, from trails and water sources. Campgrounds have posted capacity for each campsite.
Naturally it takes personnel to enforce these rules.
Wayne

Lone Wolf
07-08-2018, 12:01
i woman was murdered at the love-in. he's been caught, she hasn't been identified yet

Lone Wolf
07-08-2018, 12:02
i woman was murdered at the love-in. he's been caught, she hasn't been identified yet

https://www.wftv.com/news/trending-now/woman-killed-after-she-met-man-at-rainbow-gathering-deputies-say/785242161

KWColorado
07-08-2018, 12:38

https://www.wftv.com/news/trending-now/woman-killed-after-she-met-man-at-rainbow-gathering-deputies-say/785242161

Where in the article does it say where she was murdered?

Lone Wolf
07-08-2018, 12:48
first sentence...

Traveler
07-08-2018, 13:07
Article says she was killed after she allegedly met some guy at the gathering and left with him to hitchhike somewhere, apparently not at the gathering though. Lots of unknowns in this, including the identity of the woman.

Tipi Walter
07-08-2018, 13:11
Humans kill other humans pretty much everywhere.

greenmtnboy
07-09-2018, 08:45
As a former boy scout, and opposed to disorderly groups that do not follow healthy outdoor ethics of personal responsibility and being out in national forests for real health and recreation, I have nothing but disdain for groups that go into the woods for "gatherings" for rock sex and drugs! All the rules of forest rangers that regulate federal parks should operate against disorderly and illegal activities. A lot of spoiled white suburban privilege types go to these things as well as those not interested in gainful employment. Get a life would be my advice to these people.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2018, 09:02
As a former boy scout, and opposed to disorderly groups that do not follow healthy outdoor ethics of personal responsibility and being out in national forests for real health and recreation, I have nothing but disdain for groups that go into the woods for "gatherings" for rock sex and drugs! All the rules of forest rangers that regulate federal parks should operate against disorderly and illegal activities. A lot of spoiled white suburban privilege types go to these things as well as those not interested in gainful employment. Get a life would be my advice to these people.

buncha trustafarians

gpburdelljr
07-09-2018, 09:31
This description could be applied to many AT hikers.

rocketsocks
07-09-2018, 20:35
Terrible, just terrible. I don’t hitch any more, I’d rather walk. Once a guy told me he was hitchhiking and a guy picked him up, he said to the guy “thanks for picking me up, but how do you know I wasn’t a serial killer” the driver said “easy, what are the odds of two serial killers being in the same car at the same time” :eek:

Traveler
07-10-2018, 06:18

Great pontification deification.

kestral
07-11-2018, 08:57
Terrible, just terrible. I don’t hitch any more, I’d rather walk. Once a guy told me he was hitchhiking and a guy picked him up, he said to the guy “thanks for picking me up, but how do you know I wasn’t a serial killer” the driver said “easy, what are the odds of two serial killers being in the same car at the same time” :eek:

i once was hitching, took a snapshot of driver and license plat to send to myself. When the driver realized I had done this “without my consent” he took off. Dodged a bullet / knife? Maybe

greenmtnboy
07-11-2018, 21:41
There should be a way to upload that information in real time so that any criminal actions that follow would have a record on sites where buddies can do the follow-ups with law enforcement, as unlikely as such actions would be. Or you could have sting operations using attractive young people as lures in areas where the problems have been reported in the past.

gpburdelljr
07-11-2018, 22:15
There should be a way to upload that information in real time so that any criminal actions that follow would have a record on sites where buddies can do the follow-ups with law enforcement, as unlikely as such actions would be. Or you could have sting operations using attractive young people as lures in areas where the problems have been reported in the past.
If your cell phone has a connection you can send a photo real time.

George
07-11-2018, 23:41
Or you could have sting operations using attractive young people as lures in areas where the problems have been reported in the past.

can I volunteer to be one of the attractive young people

greenmtnboy
07-12-2018, 07:50
can I volunteer to be one of the attractive young people

Do you really want to be a victim with wackos like this driving around? 43130