PDA

View Full Version : Black Flies in NH Right Now?

mnof1000v
06-18-2018, 23:16
I spent 7 days in the Whites in 2016 at the end of June, and black flies were insane. I've heard from a few sources that they typically peak before Father's Day, but the clearly wasn't true in '16. In any case, I'll be back up there next week, so - naturally - I'm curious about the conditions. I'm hoping it's a bit better this year, but hope is not a good way to plan.

Has anyone on the forum been hiking the Whites recently? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

psyculman
06-19-2018, 05:17
I was on the north side of Madison last Tuesday, 6/12/18 below the tree line only. Every biting insect was out in abundance. If I kept moving it was tollarable, but to stop for a rest or drink, they were bad. Still have evidence of many bites, some itched for a couple of days.

peakbagger
06-19-2018, 06:29
They are definitely tapering off. Its been quite dry which helps with black flies. That said in one of my four day hikes in the last 10 days, I did get swarmed by them when taking a break up on a summit. They tend to go up in elevation during the tail end of the season so finding them up on summit is good sign. Throw a head net in the pack and have a long duration DEET product like Ultrathon (it lasts 8 to 10 hours and is lower concentration) and you should be good.

mnof1000v
06-19-2018, 09:29
Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to hear that they've tapered off even more by the time we hit the trail on Sunday, but that may be wishful thinking. My wife and I always carry DEET anyways. She bought a headnet for this trip. We'll see how it goes, and report back.

Slo-go'en
06-19-2018, 09:35
Their still pretty active and after last nights rain, will probably pick up again. I'm scratching at bites I got over the last few days right now. The next few days will be on the cool side and low humidity, and that helps a lot to keep them in check.

While they don't bite, the number of cluster flies around here have been insane and the tent caterpillars have been defoliating the trees. The two might be related.

Puddlefish
06-19-2018, 13:28
In the Hanover area, they peaked about a week ago. I only got one up my nose yesterday.

peakbagger
06-19-2018, 17:26
Their still pretty active and after last nights rain, will probably pick up again. I'm scratching at bites I got over the last few days right now. The next few days will be on the cool side and low humidity, and that helps a lot to keep them in check.

While they don't bite, the number of cluster flies around here have been insane and the tent caterpillars have been defoliating the trees. The two might be related.

Not sure if its the case but there is fly similar to cluster fly that lays eggs in tent caterpillars

Slo-go'en
06-19-2018, 17:46
Not sure if its the case but there is fly similar to cluster fly that lays eggs in tent caterpillars

That seems to be where they are coming from. Both are infesting the valley this year.