PDA

View Full Version : Best places to live in the U.S.A. if you love hiking?

somers515
06-20-2018, 06:02
What are the best places to live in the U.S.A. if you love hiking? I saw a thread that was exactly 10 years old asking this question and I'm curious if the answers have changed.

Bonus points if the town has paved bike trails or good low car traffic roads for the times I just want to get out for a bike ride.

daddytwosticks
06-20-2018, 07:03
I love Western North Carolina. Asheville area or dozens of other smaller towns in the western parts. Four seasons to boot. :)

garlic08
06-20-2018, 07:35
If you have a spare million bucks lying around, Boulder CO is a great place to live. Maybe the highest median home price in a non-coastal area.

Check out the League of American Bicyclists for their ranking of cities with biking facilities. That's a high-ranked criterion for me, too.

Good comment above about four seasons. Some of the best places I have in mind don't have that luxury. It helps if you enjoy winter travel, or can deal with desert heat in summer.

moldy
06-20-2018, 07:47
California. 12 months out of the year. Ton of outstanding trails. Views. Pick your weather by picking your altitude.

Slo-go'en
06-20-2018, 08:34
Berlin, NH. Cheap houses and cost of living. One down side - all the ATV's that are now allowed to drive on city streets.

foodbag
06-20-2018, 08:55
New York State, home to the Adirondack and Catskill Parks. Mountains to climb, lakes to paddle, trails to hike & bike, wilderness without mechanized anything, miles of streams to fish, etc. etc. etc. I lived in Lake Placid for 6 months once and if I was bored it was my own damn fault.

H I T C H
06-20-2018, 09:00
We are in western Maryland near Harper's Ferry.
Tons of hiking trails, camping areas, kayaking, biking, fishing and hunting areas.
We can be in the mountains in minutes or at a beach in a few hours.

In addition to that there is public transportation to take you into DC where there is free admission to the museums, zoo and other attractions.

The downside is the work commute. Most people spend an hour or more each way in transit to get back and forth to work.

Shutterbug
06-20-2018, 09:42
I would say Denver. On days when you don't want to drive to a trail you can hike or ride your bike along the Highline Canal that passes right through the city. On days when you don't mind driving for 30 minutes, you can hike in the foothills at places like Roxborough State Park. Then, when you want to do some serious hiking you are near the Colorado Trail and other trails leading into the Rocky Mountains. I can't think of any place that has more variety. All it lacks is sea shore.

If you want to include some sea shore options, think Western Washington. You have Puget Sound, Mt. Rainier and the Olympic Mountains. You probably would want to avoid Seattle because of the traffic. I lived in Gig Harbor for 20 years -- great hiking for 8 months of the year. Not so good November thru Feb.

Meenkya
06-20-2018, 10:15
Seward AK, lived there for 2 years, hiked 3-4 days a week. Harding ice field never got old.....Would still be there if a family member didn't get sick.....

chknfngrs
06-20-2018, 10:36
District of Columbia

DownYonder
06-20-2018, 10:41
Any place near Asheville, NC....Waynesville, Hendersonville, Brevard, Highlands, etc Hundreds of waterfalls most of which are reached by easy to moderate hikes. You can easily access the AT, the GSMNP and the Blue Ridge Parkway. A truly beautiful area where you will never run out of trails to hike.

Venchka
06-20-2018, 10:45
California. 12 months out of the year. Ton of outstanding trails. Views. Pick your weather by picking your altitude.
Too bad it’s in California.
I read a similar article in a magazine in a doctor’s office. Salida & Buena Vista were mentioned. By the time small cities make it to those lists it usually means that they are already ruined.
Consequently, I won’t mention my places.
Wayne

nsherry61
06-20-2018, 11:11
As I think about this question, I realized that there are way to many really great places to even attempt a reasonable list, especially as I read what some people above list as great places and I think of them as seriously second or third rate good places. And that means, what's great to one person doesn't cut it for the next, so the list gets even more complicated.

Places I've lived or spent significant time that stand out in my mind as great places for hikers. That I can do.
- Homer Alaska, especially if you have a boat.
- Healy Alaska, the entrance to Denali NP
- Fairbanks Alaska
. . . are you starting to see a trend here? Probably any of 100 towns in AK.

- Any one of dozens of places in Hawaii, don't know the area well enough to name towns/cities - what the heck, Honolulu, every time I've been there I've done incredible hiking with very little effort put into finding hikes.

- I love lots of western British Columbia, but then, that's not the USA.

- I also love the Olympic Peninsula in WA (as noted above) with lots of towns around there including Olympia and Tacoma not too far away.

- Eugene Oregon was great for 10 years with lots of hiking access and lots of bike trails, but it wasn't an AK or HI or MO for that matter.
- Bend Oregon surely deserves to be on this list. It has everything the OP asked for in the way of hiking and biking infrastructure and other outdoor activities for that matter.
- Ashland Oregon is pretty great.
- There's not much hiking in Davis CA, but it has the cycling down and the Sierra's and Lake Tahoe aren't too far away.
- Boise Idaho might be one of the biggest cities with the most best trails near by, but then lots of smaller places in ID and WY are awesome.
- Mazula Montana anyone? Bozman MO?
- Flagstaff AZ!
- This list would definitely be remiss without Salt Lake City, UT. Although, there are lots of nicer (in my opinion) smaller towns in the mountains around Salt Lake, but, we get into an infinite list of small towns if we go there.

What I'm starting to realize is that there needs to be a small town size limit or the list becomes endless with many of the most amazing places being the small towns in the hearts of the great wild areas around our country. . . Prescott UT, Stanley ID, Sisters OR . . .

Also, I can't think of any place east of the Rockies that I've been or spent significant time that I would place anywhere above an average or good rating. Sorry all of upstate NY, NH and the entirety of the midwest, it's just too hard to compete with the more rugged and less populated western states. I'll give the White Mountains a solid good for amazing numbers of trails going everywhere through some somewhat scenic terrain, but once you've spent time in the mountains and deserts of the west . . . maybe I need to learn to appreciated hiking the prairie lands of the midwest or the "rolling hills" of the White Mountains or the endless beaver ponds of the Adirondacks, actually I do. I really enjoy hiking in those areas, over used as they mostly are, but, if we're looking for a list of "the best" you gotta go west.

Nanatuk
06-20-2018, 11:14
Delafield, West Bend or Whitewater, Wisconsin 100 miles west and northwest of Milwaukee and East of Madison. Stevens Point or Wausau Wisconsin, both north of Madison. Eau Claire or LaCrosse Wisconsin in the West of the state.

The state has great bike paths, hiking, backpacking, kayaking and canoeing, Lots of federal and state forests and has more lakes and rivers than any state but Alaska. Proximity to lakes Michigan and Superior if your interested in sea kayaking or sailing. I'd also include proximity to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan which has its own special charms for enjoying the outdoors.

Oh, almost forgot, cross country skiing and snowshoeing. :eek:

pettas
06-20-2018, 11:18
I've lived in central NYS for almost 47 years now and have been truly happy with the choice. I live just south of Cooperstown, NY and once you leave the main routes in/out of the village, there are some very nice bike riding options on paved secondary roads. As for hiking, your main interest, we can be in the Catskills within 1.5 hours and the southern Adirondacks are 2.5 hours; add another hour or so for the northern portion of that range.

Along with the well known hiking areas, our part of the state has many small state parks that are pretty undeveloped, all with nice hiking trails. We also have a tremendous number of state forests in our region; again, all with hiking trails.

If you're looking for some "distance" hiking, the two best options are probably the Northville-Lake Placid trail in the Adirondacks or the Finger Lakes Trail that travels across the Southern Tier from western NY to the Catskills.

Hope that helps. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Dogwood
06-20-2018, 11:54
Depends on if youre a 4 season hiker, what kind of hiking you enjoy, etc. I like moving around - diversity of scenery, rivers, oceans, mountains, deserts, deep virgin forests, islands, tropical, temperate, places that are still untrampled by man, 4 season, rain, snow, etc so not going to hamstring myself into picking one supposedly "best" great place based on my goals. I recognize many positives for outdoor activities in having multiple home locations across the U.S. and abroad. Combinations of locations in the U.S. of the southwest or west coast or northwest(including AK) and northeast(NH, VT, ME, upstate NY, NC) and Central America or Brazil or Chile or Costa Rica or Hawaii or New Zealand and OZ intrigue me the most.

evyck da fleet
06-20-2018, 14:28
I’ve been most envious of the retirees I met in Arizona who hiked/lived there half the year and had their summer home in Colorado.

Crushed Grapes
06-20-2018, 16:19
District of Columbia
+1
Close to Shenandoah, the AT, Harpers Ferry, GWNF, and we are bike friendly (but not cheap)

somers515
06-21-2018, 08:41
I’ve been most envious of the retirees I met in Arizona who hiked/lived there half the year and had their summer home in Colorado.

Looks like I might have to spend the winter near Flagstaff, AZ and then head up to one of the many suggested Colorado towns during the summer!

Or perhaps an East Coast version: winter near Asheville, NC and head up to upstate NY/Vermont/NH white mountains during the summer.

I see a few suggestions for Maryland/DC area that I hadn't really thought of before - I'll have to check it out - thank you.

Alaska? Id be surprised if there are a lot of good paved biking trails/roads but I'm sure the hiking is amazing.

I should have really said "typical 3 season backpacking at dispersed sites" as opposed to just "hiking" (good point Dogwood). So many great parts of this country that I want to explore - thank you all for the suggestions so far and I'm happy to keep seeing more.

RockDoc
06-21-2018, 17:44
Missoula was the hikingest place I ever lived (in college). We always went hiking when we should have been studying...

TwoSpirits
06-21-2018, 19:14
Delafield, West Bend or Whitewater, Wisconsin 100 miles west and northwest of Milwaukee and East of Madison. Stevens Point or Wausau Wisconsin, both north of Madison. Eau Claire or LaCrosse Wisconsin in the West of the state.

The state has great bike paths, hiking, backpacking, kayaking and canoeing, Lots of federal and state forests and has more lakes and rivers than any state but Alaska. Proximity to lakes Michigan and Superior if your interested in sea kayaking or sailing. I'd also include proximity to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan which has its own special charms for enjoying the outdoors.

Oh, almost forgot, cross country skiing and snowshoeing. :eek:As a native Minnesotan who graduated from UWSP, this post sure brought back memories and a smile to my face. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan are beautiful, with absolutely countless opportunities to play and explore -- all year long!

The Snowman
06-21-2018, 19:23
Any place in New England.

nsherry61
06-21-2018, 21:10
. . . Alaska? Id be surprised if there are a lot of good paved biking trails/roads but I'm sure the hiking is amazing.
. .
Paved, no. Roads, yes. I haven't been to AK in 25 years, but I sure loved all the secondary, generally dirt, roads out into the middle of nowhere frequently left over from past mining. And, without too many people, even the paved roads are pretty bike friends in many places. To be honest, there aren't a lot of trails for hiking in areas further north because you don't really need them. You just head out across the tundra.

For anyone that is familiar with "Into the Wild" Stampede Road is one of those old mining roads. During the summer of 1990 some friends and I rode out to the "end" of Stampede Road, and kept going on the somewhat rideable route through the tundra until we came to the Teklanika River where we turned back because it was getting late. Gosh, we didn't know about the bus on the other side of the river. It might have been a motivator to keep going. Sadly, Chris McCandless found that bus two years later and didn't get back across the Teklanika.

Another Kevin
06-26-2018, 13:48
New York State, home to the Adirondack and Catskill Parks. Mountains to climb, lakes to paddle, trails to hike & bike, wilderness without mechanized anything, miles of streams to fish, etc. etc. etc. I lived in Lake Placid for 6 months once and if I was bored it was my own damn fault.

This. It might not be 'best' but I like it here. I live a couple of blocks from the Erie Canalway Trail. About half my daily commute is on it. I'm not much of a cyclist, but the trail is multi-use.

There's fair hiking within a 20 minute drive, and awesome hiking within an hour and a half. (Well, and I could kill a day just walking about two miles down the canalway to a local nature preserve, which has a seven-mile loop trail with some nice views of the Mohawk River.)

illabelle
06-26-2018, 16:15
Interesting how so many of us are fans of the hiking in our own backyards. East TN/West NC! NH/ME! Upstate New York! California! Etc.

On the other hand, we haven't heard anybody crowing about the fantastic hiking in places like Kansas, or Oklahoma. My adolescent years were in the rolling hills of central Oklahoma on an 80-acre inherited tract. Much of it was wooded with scrub oak, post oak, sumac, and cedar. My dad made little roads through the woods that I walked and sometimes ran on almost every day after school. Usually barefoot. I knew where each bit of prickly pear cactus was. I knew where sand burrs were to be avoided. There was an old cabin in the woods built by my grandfather in the Depression years - it's fallen down now. A short walk up the drive from the cabin was the Big Spring at the base of a large sandstone heading the Big Gully. Carved into the sandstone were dates from the 1870's and later. We were told that Belle Starr, an outlaw of the time, hung out at the Big Spring. I used to walk through the gullies, exploring, exploring, and dreaming of whatever. They were 8' deep or more and dry, but in a rainstorm could fill up quickly. We saw possums and armadillos and skunks and snakes and horned toads and ....

....Years and years ago. Fond memories. My dad is gone. No one lives there. I'm sure his little trails/roads are overgrown. None of us will ever hike them.

Heliotrope
06-26-2018, 19:02
Living the dream in Bar Harbor. Local trails in Acadia and the AT and Baxter state park just a few hours away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
06-26-2018, 20:36
If you have a spare million bucks lying around, Boulder CO is a great place to live. Maybe the highest median home price in a non-coastal area.

Check out the League of American Bicyclists for their ranking of cities with biking facilities. That's a high-ranked criterion for me, too.

Good comment above about four seasons. Some of the best places I have in mind don't have that luxury. It helps if you enjoy winter travel, or can deal with desert heat in summer. Plenty of places close to the Peoples Republic of Boulder that are much less expensive. In fact, I think I prefer Golden over the P.R.O.B. Better proximity to the rest of the state. Living in Boulder adds on a lot of extra driving for most of CO mountain access, unless you're visiting northern CO and RMNP.

All this being said, if I could live anywhere in the USA, I'd live in SW Colorado. Durango, Ridgeway, down in those parts. That's the best part of CO, plus you're a lot closer to the rest of the SW USA, like southern Utah and northern AZ, both incredible places to hike/climb/canyoneer/mountain bike.

For those living in the east and have never done much out west, you really don't know what your missing. The West is Best! Yup, I'm biased.... but I did grow up out east and have hiked all over the east, and by far, hiking is better in the west. Go west young men and women!

Traveler
06-28-2018, 08:29
I tend to agree that western hiking can be spectacular. Having hiked around the US, the Cascade Mountains for me are the most spectacular though other ranges have their charms.

Another Kevin
06-28-2018, 11:29
Interesting how so many of us are fans of the hiking in our own backyards. East TN/West NC! NH/ME! Upstate New York! California! Etc.

The best hiking is the hiking that you can get out and do. That makes your own back yard look pretty attractive. Plus, a lot of us have chosen to live where the hiking is at least decent.

I grew up in NYC, and rode trains and buses to hike. Harriman was wonderful - even though then, it was even more obviously an industrial wasteland than now. It was wonderful because it was there, and I got to go.

I studied at Dartmouth. NH offered terrific hiking.

I lived for a few years in Arizona, and the desert hiking was superb.

I then moved to central Illinois, which was horrible. I took up cycling at that time, but even then, everything was flat, and there was nothing to see but corn, corn, corn, soybeans, corn, corn, corn, soybeans, oh, look, pigs!, corn, corn, corn...

I spent some time in LA, Equally horrible, hours to get anywhere, and the crowds! No hiking there for me!

Now, for 27 years, I'm in upstate New York. It may not be the absolute best, but I've hardly even scratched the surface of what it has to offer. It's different from Western hiking - but in the way that Thomas Cole (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Thomas_Cole_-_Falls_of_the_Kaaterskill_-_WGA5145.jpg) differs from Albert Bierstadt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Bierstadt#/media/File:Albert_Bierstadt_-_Rocky_Mountain_Landscape_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg).

illabelle
06-28-2018, 12:56
....i then moved to central illinois, which was horrible. I took up cycling at that time, but even then, everything was flat, and there was nothing to see but corn, corn, corn, soybeans, corn, corn, corn, soybeans, oh, look, pigs!, corn, corn, corn....

Hilarious!

colorado_rob
06-28-2018, 13:15
The best hiking is the hiking that you can get out and do. That makes your own back yard look pretty attractive. Plus, a lot of us have chosen to live where the hiking is at least decent.
Now, for 27 years, I'm in upstate New York. It may not be the absolute best, but I've hardly even scratched the surface of what it has to offer. Agree 100% on both of these statements.... I lived in northern Indiana for a spell.... basically zero chance to hike anything remotely interesting in those parts. SW Ohio (where I grew up) was not much better, but at least KY and TN was fairly close.

And, we just "discovered" upstate NY last summer. Nice! Can't wait to spend some more time there. We live in a big, beautiful country folks, lots to see all over the place.

garlic08
06-29-2018, 07:26
Interesting how so many of us are fans of the hiking in our own backyards...

The best hiking is the hiking that you can get out and do. That makes your own back yard look pretty attractive....
Yep. See my signature line.

Many of my hiking days, I can leave the car at home. Those are good days.

PatmanTN
06-29-2018, 08:12
I love my southern apps and they will always have a special place in my heart. But if it works out, I hope to move out west for a least a few years, to facilitate exploration of all those big mountains. I undeniably feel their pull. Once you get a taste, you have to have more!

fiddlehead
06-29-2018, 09:18
In the US, I would pick Colorado as no. 1
Central to northern CA for no. 2. (Sierras or north or there)
Idaho or Montana for no. 3

There are so many great hiking places in the world.
Enjoy

Night Train
07-05-2018, 22:00
Utah & Michigan

bstiffler
07-06-2018, 00:40
I love Western North Carolina. Asheville area or dozens of other smaller towns in the western parts. Four seasons to boot. :)

Waiting to hear about a job in Johnson city right now. Only bad thing is I probably won’t be moving up til late October t the earliest so will miss the hiking this year.

Venchka
07-06-2018, 00:44
Waiting to hear about a job in Johnson city right now. Only bad thing is I probably won’t be moving up til late October t the earliest so will miss the hiking this year.
Oh but No! While the High Country might not offer 365 hiking days per year, it doesn’t miss by much.
Johnson City is big!
Wayne

Last Call
07-06-2018, 01:49
Durango, Colorada....

peakbagger
07-06-2018, 06:05
I live where other folks vacation. I work from home in northern NH. Surrounded by White Mountain National Forest and a lot of other conserved lands so I don't need to worry about sprawl. I can dayhike from my house up the Northern Presidentials and about 4 miles as the crow flies from the AT on Mt Madison,

If I really want to hit an ocean beach its a 2 hour drive. If I want a remote lake with almost no development loaded with wildlife its an hour or less away. If I want easy access to a big river, I have a choice of the upper Connecticut or the upper Androscoggin, both with very little development and enough quick water to keep it fun. I like winter hiking and I have seasons. No sales tax or income tax (but some towns have steep property taxes).

Heliotrope
07-06-2018, 06:56
I live where other folks vacation. I work from home in northern NH. Surrounded by White Mountain National Forest and a lot of other conserved lands so I don't need to worry about sprawl. I can dayhike from my house up the Northern Presidentials and about 4 miles as the crow flies from the AT on Mt Madison,

If I really want to hit an ocean beach its a 2 hour drive. If I want a remote lake with almost no development loaded with wildlife its an hour or less away. If I want easy access to a big river, I have a choice of the upper Connecticut or the upper Androscoggin, both with very little development and enough quick water to keep it fun. I like winter hiking and I have seasons. No sales tax or income tax (but some towns have steep property taxes).

Need a roommate? [emoji3]

Gambit McCrae
07-06-2018, 08:18
I am apart of several "Friends of ...." groups for different hiking areas. I am always envious of folks that live a quick hop away from some of my favorite spots. However I know from being burnt out from my local gems - I live within 45 minutes of Virgin Falls, which at one time was the #1 rated trail in Tennessee, as well as Cummins Falls which is on about every top 10 swimming holes in the USA, as well as Burgess Falls and only about 3 hours from Clingmans dome. But those that live "in" or real close to the iconic regions such as GSMNP, SNP, Roan Mountain SP, Grayson SP - I would say they probably get tired of their backyard and venture out to other places. Otherwise they would always be on a staycation. I would say if I were to move to a place for hiking, it would have to be somewhere that I am able to be involved in the hiking community, so that I could shuttle hikers, maybe open a hostel, and do some trail magic. I have always wanted to move to Hot Springs, NC.

egilbe
07-06-2018, 12:36
Need a roommate? [emoji3]

Sounds like he's trying to sell his house. Bode Miller's house is on the market.

KWColorado
07-06-2018, 12:53
Salida (small town around 6000) if you can bring your job with you or looking for a place to retire. Real estate is kind of pricey but everything else (weather, outdoors options, community, etc.) is pretty much perfect to me.

Violent Green
07-06-2018, 14:09
If biking trails are a strong requirement, that's going to push most of your choices out West where the biking culture is so pervasive. Their culture is SO much more outdoorsy than ours in the East.

With that said, I live in Knoxville, TN and it's got a lot to offer. Low cost of living and so many outdoor possibilities.

Frozen Head - 40mins
Big South Fork - 60 mins
Daniel Boone National Forest - 60 mins
Smokies - 30mins
Cherokee National Forest - 60 mins
Pisgah National Forest - 90 mins
Urban Wilderness - 0 mins
Virgin Falls/Fall Creek Falls - 90 mins
North Cumberland & Royal Blue WMAs - 30 mins

I could go on and on...Asheville is also good, but I think the cost of living is somewhat higher there.

naturegirl90
07-06-2018, 16:03
Outside of the well-traveled paths, I find Wisconsin to be great given all of the lakes.

peakbagger
07-07-2018, 05:55
Sounds like he's trying to sell his house. Bode Miller's house is on the market.

I think Bodes house is in the Franconia area, that's more a summer colony for folks from Mass than a year round community. High real estate prices to match. The towns along RT2 except Randolph are far less summer retreats and the real estate prices are lower. Randolph is definitely an old time summer colony but its definitely a different vibe than a typical summer retreat, lots of older summer places and a dense local trail network, there are about 300 full time residents. The town actively discourages development and has one of the largest town forests in the state. Some well off summer folks on occasion pick up pieces of property and donate it to the town forest just to keep it from being developed.

saltysack
07-08-2018, 09:34

October to April are my favorite times in the southern Apps.....no people or bugs, views and crisp weather.....

Tipi Walter
07-08-2018, 10:14

On the other hand, we haven't heard anybody crowing about the fantastic hiking in places like Kansas, or Oklahoma. My adolescent years were in the rolling hills of central Oklahoma on an 80-acre inherited tract. Much of it was wooded with scrub oak, post oak, sumac, and cedar. My dad made little roads through the woods that I walked and sometimes ran on almost every day after school. Usually barefoot. I knew where each bit of prickly pear cactus was. I knew where sand burrs were to be avoided. There was an old cabin in the woods built by my grandfather in the Depression years - it's fallen down now. A short walk up the drive from the cabin was the Big Spring at the base of a large sandstone heading the Big Gully. Carved into the sandstone were dates from the 1870's and later. We were told that Belle Starr, an outlaw of the time, hung out at the Big Spring. I used to walk through the gullies, exploring, exploring, and dreaming of whatever. They were 8' deep or more and dry, but in a rainstorm could fill up quickly. We saw possums and armadillos and skunks and snakes and horned toads and ....

....Years and years ago. Fond memories. My dad is gone. No one lives there. I'm sure his little trails/roads are overgrown. None of us will ever hike them.

I was raised in Enid, Oklahoma and so as a kid I discovered all sorts of "backcountry" to explore. It was all private land out in the sticks by creeks but when you're a kid 10 acres of woods with a creek seems like the Wrangell-St Elias NP. And back in the 1950s everyone and every landowner EXPECTED to see kids outdoors all the time. Alot different today. And as a family we often went to Great Salt Plains Lake for camping. Here's a pic of Little Tipi coming out of Salt Plains Lake---

I lived in Boone NC for 30 years and spent the last 20 years in Tellico Plains TN. This is why I've been able to get out so often on my backpacking trips---because I'm close to unregulated NFs and wilderness areas. And Boone back in the 1970s was like Alaska---wild and free.

I would change the OP's question---"Where can I go backpacking in vast areas with no regulations or permits required??"

colorado_rob
07-08-2018, 11:12
Salida (small town around 6000) if you can bring your job with you or looking for a place to retire. Real estate is kind of pricey but everything else (weather, outdoors options, community, etc.) is pretty much perfect to me.

Durango, Colorada.... Funny these two places are mentioned.... these two cities, along with possibly Ridgeway CO (down near Telluride), are the top three candidates for where we plan on moving when our grand kids get a bit older (bunches of them in Denver area).

Wherever you do live in the USA, just remember the entire country has it's charms. We've traveled a bit around the world, and had some fine adventures, but the single most satisfying thing my wife and I have done is as of last July, we have stood on the highest point (elevation wise) of each of our 50 great states (we're the 14th couple on record to have done so). And on every one of these 50 state visits, we have tried to enjoy some other unique aspect of those states. AND, tried to remember to have a local beer from each.... (didn't quite make this one though).

Another Kevin
07-08-2018, 11:29
I would change the OP's question---"Where can I go backpacking in vast areas with no regulations or permits required??"

Upstate NY still makes the cut - permits ($free) needed only for Eastern High Peaks. Regulations are sensible ones like "don't camp above 3500 feet or within 150 feet of trail or water, except at designated sites." Needed to protect the alpine region. Millions of acres where you can camp. I've done two-week trips here with zero formalities.

colorado_rob
07-08-2018, 11:40
I would change the OP's question---"Where can I go backpacking in vast areas with no regulations or permits required??" Probably no where w.r.t. being strictly unregulated, unless on private land.

But, though not absolute zero regulations, most of southern Utah is wide open, un-populated, gorgeous and is open BLM land, with only token regulations. And of course for the best backpacking areas in Colorado, Wyoming, Norther AZ, etc, etc, no permits are required, but there are mild regulations posted here and there. Like no bikes in the wilderness areas, stuff like that.

California, on the other hand, seems to be silly-highly-regulated, but I suppose that's simply because of the higher density of use.

But of course, you know all of this, you're just making your usual posturing type of statement.

illabelle
07-08-2018, 11:42
I was raised in Enid, Oklahoma and so as a kid I discovered all sorts of "backcountry" to explore. It was all private land out in the sticks by creeks but when you're a kid 10 acres of woods with a creek seems like the Wrangell-St Elias NP. And back in the 1950s everyone and every landowner EXPECTED to see kids outdoors all the time. Alot different today. And as a family we often went to Great Salt Plains Lake for camping. Here's a pic of Little Tipi coming out of Salt Plains Lake---

Tipi, you amaze me. How you manage to reach back decades to a specific memory and not only find a photo, but know where and often when it was taken is beyond belief. I could almost believe you employ a crew of photo archivists that organize and label and catalog every photo you have.

And very true that back in those days people expected kids to be outdoors exploring. We freely wandered around on our 80 acres, and the 160 beside us, and the 160 or more behind us.

Tipi Walter
07-08-2018, 12:03
Upstate NY still makes the cut - Millions of acres where you can camp. I've done two-week trips here with zero formalities.

That's what I'm looking for---pulling long backpacking trips and not being told where to camp every night---just wander freely. How the heck can I know where I'll be camping on Day 15 of a 21 day trip???????????????

Probably no where w.r.t. being strictly unregulated, unless on private land.

But, though not absolute zero regulations, most of southern Utah is wide open, un-populated, gorgeous and is open BLM land, with only token regulations. And of course for the best backpacking areas in Colorado, Wyoming, Norther AZ, etc, etc, no permits are required, but there are mild regulations posted here and there. Like no bikes in the wilderness areas, stuff like that.

California, on the other hand, seems to be silly-highly-regulated, but I suppose that's simply because of the higher density of use.

I've often wondered why the magnificent Rocky Mt NP has so many backpacking and camping regulations. It's depressing.

Then again, the reason I asked my question---where to freely camp without permits and designated sites etc---was because I was thinking of California.

Tipi, you amaze me. How you manage to reach back decades to a specific memory and not only find a photo, but know where and often when it was taken is beyond belief. I could almost believe you employ a crew of photo archivists that organize and label and catalog every photo you have.

And very true that back in those days people expected kids to be outdoors exploring. We freely wandered around on our 80 acres, and the 160 beside us, and the 160 or more behind us.

It helps to have all my photos on a website with Keyworded properties. If someone here mentions "Jacks River" for instance, I just punch that keyword and get all the pics for the area etc.

And Illabelle---You may enjoy this pic from Great Salt Plains taken when I was a young tyke still in diapers or close to it---sometime in 1952.
Carefully watching my Dad fix some kindling---important info I would need later.

colorado_rob
07-08-2018, 12:22
I've often wondered why the magnificent Rocky Mt NP has so many backpacking and camping regulations. It's depressing.

Then again, the reason I asked my question---where to freely camp without permits and designated sites etc---was because I was thinking of California. Rocky Mtn NP is really kinda "meh" compared to a huge number of other places in the central west (CO, WY, UT, MT, etc).

I just cannot understand why visitors from other states ONLY go to RMNP when they visit Colorado. Do it once if you must, prepare yourself for the crowds (or go off-season), then head to the real gems.

Really, pretty much all over the west there are no camping-spot restrictions, nor are there any required permits. The National Parks, sure, kinda necessary these days with the crowds.

And yeah, good old California and their weird permits.... But really, getting BP permits for 90% of the Sierra is easy and practically automatic, if you stay off the main trails (PCT, JMT).

Venchka
07-08-2018, 12:41

I lived in Boone NC for 30 years and spent the last 20 years in Tellico Plains TN. This is why I've been able to get out so often on my backpacking trips---because I'm close to unregulated NFs and wilderness areas. And Boone back in the 1970s was like Alaska---wild and free.

Answer: Avoid both coasts. With a few exceptions.
Don’t mention the really good places online.
Southern Utah is being loved to death thanks to advertising. Colorado lost that battle ages ago.
Find the good places for you on your own.
I’m still using guide books printed by Gutenberg.
Have fun y’all!
Wayne

colorado_rob
07-08-2018, 13:20
Southern Utah is being loved to death thanks to advertising. Colorado lost that battle ages ago.
e The epitome of bogus remarks. Completely wrong on both counts, though I can see how some, such as yourself, would think so.

Tipi Walter
07-08-2018, 13:21
Answer: Avoid both coasts. With a few exceptions.
Don’t mention the really good places online.
Find the good places for you on your own.
I’m still using guide books printed by Gutenberg.
Have fun y’all!
Wayne

So I'd say the best places to live are the places with the fewest people. Good luck in finding it---as America is supposed to have 450 million humans by 2050. Here in the Southeast our postage stamp wilderness areas are being surrounded and smothered by people and sprawl---not to mention the thousands of jets roaring across the Southeastern skies every day---and over every wilderness area.

Venchka
07-08-2018, 18:13
The epitome of bogus remarks. Completely wrong on both counts, though I can see how some, such as yourself, would think so.
Utah National Parks are a heartbeat away from requiring daily entry reservations. Arches NP has eliminated Backcountry camping.
Summit County Colorado boggles the mind. All bogus for sure.
I still go back.
Wayne

walkinmyshoes
07-21-2018, 17:22
Well, the National Geographic says about the next cities: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/lists/hiking-backpacking/best-us-hiking-cities/.

pesphoto
07-21-2018, 18:13
just back from hiking mt cardigan in the middle of no where, NH....NH seems hard to beat.

Slo-go'en
07-21-2018, 19:52
just back from hiking mt cardigan in the middle of no where, NH....NH seems hard to beat.

I'm glad I live here and most other people don't. :)

Venchka
07-31-2018, 20:20
Someone mentioned Boulder real estate.
For grins and giggles I looked up average home prices in Boulder and neighboring Longmont.
Boulder: $775,000.
Longmont: $325,000 or $350,000. I didn’t write it down.
The size of the average homes weren’t listed.
Crazy.
Wayne

Hosh
08-01-2018, 20:28
Actually it’s pretty simple; location, location, location

4 season recreational Mecca’s, great mountain biking, jeeping, backpacking, hiking, snowboarding, cross country skiing, downhill skiing, snowshoeing, camping, kayaking, rafting, mountaineering, bouldering, fly fishing, ice climbing, hand gliding, hot air ballooning, and basket weaving.

High end employment in tech, finance, software, healthcare, insurance, and communications

And it’s been overrun by all the freaking Californicators!

Hosh
08-01-2018, 20:29
Actually it’s pretty simple; location, location, location

4 season recreational Mecca’s, great mountain biking, jeeping, backpacking, hiking, snowboarding, cross country skiing, downhill skiing, snowshoeing, camping, kayaking, rafting, mountaineering, bouldering, fly fishing, ice climbing, hand gliding, hot air ballooning, and basket weaving.

High end employment in tech, finance, software, healthcare, insurance, and communications

And it’s been overrun by all the freaking Californicators!

peakbagger
08-02-2018, 06:32
Affordability for housing is a hurdle for many folks. I can point out several basic homes in the Northern Whites for less than 100K. There currently are a couple of homes and a house lot located directly on the AT in Shelburne NH between the Rattle River Shelter and Hogan Road.

I would not advocate directly buying a home anywhere until renting for a year or so but rents are cheap in the area. After a year or so renting, someone can get an idea is they like real seasons. The big point is many folks think they like real seasons but until they have lived through a winter and early spring, they will not know. Late fall and winter hiking for those with the gear and the brains to use it can be the best time of the year for hiking but it comes down to that you need to pick your days and be a fair weather hiker. The year round economy isnt thriving in the region although seasonal jobs are always available May through the end of September and December through late March. There are quite a few state jobs in the area for folks with social service skills, the pay is low but they have state benefits. If someone is so inclined and have a clean record there is a state and federal prison in the region that are always hiring.