PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Contact Lenses

spfleisig
06-20-2018, 07:03
I wear contacts and without them I can't read. I have a 6-day section hike coming up. I was thinking of leaving the contacts and just bringing some cheaters so I don't have to deal with taking the contacts in and out and carrying a mirror since I need that to put the contacts in and also I wouldn't have to deal with losing a contact (which has never happened to me before).

What have other contacts wearers done?

Thx

Dan Roper
06-20-2018, 11:12
I've worn contacts for all my section hikes, about 550 miles done in one- to four-night trips. I've had no issues with them. I've never lost one. I don't use a mirror - I'm accustomed to putting them in by feel. I often do so in my tent, using a headlamp at night before bed, arranging everything over my sleeping bag or pillow so that the space is compact and a lense will land on cloth if it happens to fall. Same routine in the morning. It's never been a problem.

If I did a much longer section, I might simply wear glasses. But I've never hiked in my glasses, though I do wear them in camp, so I'm not sure if they would be comfortable and if there would be drawbacks.

I have no idea what "cheaters" are.

Crushed Grapes
06-20-2018, 11:27
My routine is pretty much the same routine as Dan's above. I don't use a mirror either, just take the lens out, rinse it, and pop it in. I've never lost a lens on the trail, but I also bring a spare pair (I have the same prescription in both eyes, which makes things easy).

I also bring my eye glasses to read at night, and take care of things around camp in the morning. I can't stand hiking in them, though. Something about the curvature of the lens and the ground, just makes all of my steps feel weird.

MisterQ
06-20-2018, 12:22
I always try to make the switch to glasses while it is still light out. I don't use a mirror. Always bring a backup pair also.

JC13
06-20-2018, 14:03
No backup pair, no mirror, I wear the same pair for up to 10 days on a trip. I discussed this with my eye care professional first. I do wear extended wear lenses and her take was the same as mine. The potential for infection was greater by taking them out on trail than leaving them in. If I were doing a LASH or a thru, I would probably just get a pair mailed every month and carry a backup pair.

I am potentially doing a BMT thru in the fall and I plan on wearing a pair the entire trip with a pair as a backup.

YMMV

HooKooDooKu
06-20-2018, 14:36
I carry a pair of glasses as both a backup and something to wear if I have to get up in the middle of the night...

But I've tried hiking in glasses and hated it.

I simply carry a tiny eye dropper bottle filled with contact solution and a contact case. That's it for two night trips. For a longer trip, I've taken along a small bottle of saline to help rinse the contacts off every few days.

handlebar
06-20-2018, 16:21
I've hiked 15,000 miles with my extended wear contacts. Leave then in between town stops and use rewetting drops before retiring for the evening and upon arising in the morning. There's a spare pair in my toiletries kit along with a case and eye dropper bottle of contact solution. Also a backup pair of glasses if I need to take them out. I leave mine in for up to 30 days, taking them out and/or replacing them in towns. On longer hikes, I have additional spares in my bounce bucket. This approach works for me since keeping proper hygiene is difficult on the trail.

Hikingjim
06-20-2018, 16:31
I wear glasses and bring some disposable contacts. I wash my hands very well first, and it's been fine for years with this method.
I typically wear glasses, but just bring the contacts for when my glasses fog (humid conditions) or it's really rainy
If you need a mirror, just use your cell phone in selfie mode. there's a slight delay, but it's easily manageable

gracebowen
06-20-2018, 17:49
Cheaters are I believe reading glasses that are bought at the store.

connolm
06-20-2018, 19:23
I wear daily disposables and carry enough for the trip. They're very light. But I also carry a lense case with cleaning resolution in the case. I use the first pair a couple days and by the time I start using fresh ones, I have a pair or two in backup.

Putting them in without a mirror just takes a little practice. Try it at home. Cheaper to attempt with daily wear lenses!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Fredt4
06-20-2018, 21:53
Perhaps it's unwise, but I use an extended wear contact and don't change it. It'll last about six months. I've done this for 20+ years. It saves on changing the lens with dirty hands. I carry an extra lens and a small bottle of eye drops (not sure why as I've never used them). Just happy that I don't have to wear glasses as they would break, and or be dirty. I don't recommend this method as it's potentially hazardous but it works for me.

Riocielo
06-20-2018, 23:15
I can't stand to walk with my glasses on flatland, I can't imagine what it would be like going up a mountain. I wear my contacts and carry a spare pair, although I have never lost a lens on the trail. For a hike of only a few days, I will just keep them in since I don't think my hands get clean enough to be taking them in and out. I use a very small contact carrier with solution in it, just in case I want to take them out.

cliffordbarnabus
06-20-2018, 23:49
my take and i've taken it on the AT for 3 thru's and a pct thru and 6 yrs on a bike around the world :

leave 'em in. carry some no-rub enzymatic drops. drop those drops directly into eyes at night and as needed.

Hikes in Rain
06-21-2018, 19:16
Been wearing contacts since I was 14. I'm now 64! (Holy cr*p!) I just can't SEE with glasses! Honestly, folks, it's all about washing your hands. Take the bottom half of a plastic gallon jug as a wash basin. Your pot (shoot, your whole cook kit) should fit in it, so it doesn't take up any space and is practically weightless. Use soap, what you always use. You know what it is. (Ivory, for me) Mirror or not, whatever you're used to. (I usually don't use one, but take a tiny one, just in case) I now use variable focus lenses, which correct my long distance vision (anything more than six inches is long distance for me!!) while correcting for my reading. (Concentric rings, just like magic)

Bottom line, I feel more naked without my contacts than without my pants. They're the eyes I should have been born with.