PDA

View Full Version : To those who have used the Osprey Aether and Volt

tschertz
06-21-2018, 10:22
How comparable was the comfort on both? Most of the reviews I’m finding on the Aether are great, but I can’t find too many of them on the Volt.

I found the Volt for a fabulous deal and seems to be what I am looking for, less bells and whistles. Most of the packs I’ve used (borrowed) in the past I never used most of the smaller pockets anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Runner2017
06-21-2018, 10:35
Had both of them, 2017 Aether & 2016 Volt, and I liked neither. If you have to pick one out of the two, you need to consider three factors: weight hot or cold weather, daily distance. If weight is over 25 lb, hiking in hot/humid weather, and 10+ daily miles, you will feel very miserable with Volt.

I got myself a brand new 2017 Aether from REI last summer. The anti-gravity thingy pulled too much backward, and it made me constantly lean forward to balance myself. Besides, it made squeaky notice for every step. I couldn't wait to return it back to REI the moment I got back.

Volt's frame also made lots of squeaky noice, very annoying.

Venchka
06-21-2018, 15:29
I put about 50 miles with about 30-35 pound loads on the ULA Catalyst along the CDT in southern Colorado. It performed perfectly. 3 pounds empty.
Wayne

Old Hiker
06-21-2018, 20:13
Hmmm.

Different strokes for different folks.

I got a 2015 Volt 75 for my 2016 attempt from Amazon. Liked it so much after 2 days of playing, I bought another for a backup, just in case. Not sure if the current crop has changed much.

I am a "kitchen sink" type of hiker, so this pack fit everything I wanted to take. It was VERY comfortable, even up to 45# or so.

One small problem was with the mesh pockets - a few rips that I repaired with dental floss, but no big whoop.

One other problem was that I got a large hip belt, not knowing I'd lose over 60 pounds over all. It was almost impossible to tighten completely where I wanted it to ride, just over my hips. I got some pretty bad bruising over my iliac crests. I ended up gluing part of a foam sleeping pad on each side, which helped.

tschertz
06-22-2018, 06:56
Hmmm.

Different strokes for different folks.

I got a 2015 Volt 75 for my 2016 attempt from Amazon. Liked it so much after 2 days of playing, I bought another for a backup, just in case. Not sure if the current crop has changed much.

I am a "kitchen sink" type of hiker, so this pack fit everything I wanted to take. It was VERY comfortable, even up to 45# or so.

One small problem was with the mesh pockets - a few rips that I repaired with dental floss, but no big whoop.

One other problem was that I got a large hip belt, not knowing I'd lose over 60 pounds over all. It was almost impossible to tighten completely where I wanted it to ride, just over my hips. I got some pretty bad bruising over my iliac crests. I ended up gluing part of a foam sleeping pad on each side, which helped.

Seems exactly the same as the Aether 75, minutes the AG system and a few pockets. The reviews on REI are pretty decent on the Volt as well.

What confuses me is the Volt is 75L (33x14x14) while the medium Aether is 70L at 35x14x14 - how is that even possible?

ADK Walker
06-22-2018, 10:49
I have the Volt. Its a nice pack but heavy for what it is. I can't get my BV500 to fit which is an issue for me.

I have since moved to the Sierra Design Flex Capacitor.

tschertz
06-24-2018, 00:43
I have the Volt. Its a nice pack but heavy for what it is. I can't get my BV500 to fit which is an issue for me.

I have since moved to the Sierra Design Flex Capacitor.

I’m trying to decide on a new Volt 75 for $150 or a used (condition looks fine) Aether 70 for $170

From what I am reading, the Aether 70 is worth the extra $20 and it seems the Aether has a bit more dimension/width that the Volt.

Think it’s worth the extra $20$

Venchka
06-24-2018, 06:07
I’m trying to decide on a new Volt 75 for $150 or a used (condition looks fine) Aether 70 for $170

From what I am reading, the Aether 70 is worth the extra $20 and it seems the Aether has a bit more dimension/width that the Volt.

$200 buys a new Volt 75 from REI. You get 12 months of real world on trail testing time to decide if it works for you. That’s enough time for at least 1 really long hike.
Wayne

Mr. Bumpy
06-24-2018, 09:08
I have used the Aether for some time and have no complaints except it is heavy. Recently I switched to the ULA Catalyst which carries as well as the Aether and weighs quite a bit less.
I recently picked up the Volt for my growing teenage son because of the adjustability and relative light weight. He has done a few weekenders and one week long trip with it and had no issues.
He typically carries 25 lbs (+ or -) and I go with 30 - 35 lbs.

Both are good packs for the money, but if you don't need the adjustability then I think most people are far better off with something like Catalyst that saves base weight in favor of adjustability. Are you planning to grow or shrink?

ADK Walker
06-24-2018, 11:51

Osprey are nice packs, no doubt about it. Most of their product line is built like a tank and more than capable of lasting decades while carrying heavy loads. I was on the AT last week in VT and 90% of those going to Maine from Springer had an Osprey. Great warranty as well.

But...

Consider the weight of the empty pack. I didn't spend much time looking at pack weight and bought the Volt for a 50 mile trip last summer (Cranberry Lake 50 in the Adks).

Then I ended up buying another pack that saved 2 pounds just in pack weight (Flex Capacitor).

So all in financially I could have bought an even nicer, lighter weight pack for the same amount of money I spent on those two packs.

For comparison the Flex retails at $200. Weights 2lbs lighter then the Aether and can carry 60L. It also fits my bear can (BV500 Horizontally)

Now the build quality of the Flex Capacitor is not the same as an Osprey in my experience but it's a nice pack that carries loads and it's a pretty simple design. Basically a huge internal space with compression straps and side pockets.

Many options out there. If you're set on Osprey then I would get the Aether 70. Better resale when you decide to buy a lighter pack next year (if you're like me) ;)

Venchka
06-24-2018, 17:12
I have used the Aether for some time and have no complaints except it is heavy. Recently I switched to the ULA Catalyst which carries as well as the Aether and weighs quite a bit less.
I recently picked up the Volt for my growing teenage son because of the adjustability and relative light weight. He has done a few weekenders and one week long trip with it and had no issues.
He typically carries 25 lbs (+ or -) and I go with 30 - 35 lbs.

Both are good packs for the money, but if you don't need the adjustability then I think most people are far better off with something like Catalyst that saves base weight in favor of adjustability. Are you planning to grow or shrink?
The hip belt of the Catalyst is adjustable. Approximately 4”-5” vertically. The size of the belt can be ordered independently of the size of the pack. Shoulder straps are available in 2 styles. Made in the USA.
Wayne

tschertz
06-25-2018, 18:22
Ended up going with the Aether 70
Found one used in perfect condition I couldn’t pass up on. The way I look at it, if I do decide to sell, I won’t be losing too much since I didn’t overpay by any means!

dankwizard22
07-10-2018, 13:54
I had an Aether 60 but I ended up swapping it for an Atmos. This sounds weird and may be an amateur fault of mine but I didn't like the way the Aether packed. It felt very narrow to me. I think they built it to haul heavier loads and it was narrow so the weight was closer to the back. The Atmos was also more comfortable for me personally as well but they are both built like tanks and are great packs.

ACE13
08-01-2018, 07:12
When just getting back into this great sport after 10 years off, the gear has changed A LOT....... I tried on almost every pack at REI (I know the guy hated me after about 3 hours hiking around the store with different packs), & decided on the Osprey Atmos AG50. They were running a sale on them also, so I bought it for $147.00 new. Another thing I found was that with me having to get a large frame pack because I'm 6'3", the volume was actually 53 liters vs the advertised 50. It was close choosing between the Baltoro 65 & Atmos 50 for me. After stuffing each with everything I could possibly need in the store, I found the Atmos held everything I needed, & carried just slightly better than the Baltoro (For Me). Glad you ended up finding a deal, nothing like NOT paying full price for quality gear. I hope I wasn't too long winded for my first post on here......