PDA

View Full Version : Any peak baggin or day hikes near Alta in UT?

saltysack
06-21-2018, 16:08
I’ll be @ snowbird resort near Alta for a work conference next week for few days....while others hit the golf course I’d rather hit the trails!! Any recs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venchka
06-21-2018, 16:44
Backcountrypost.com. SLC based outdoor discussion group. Call the resort.
Educated guess: Walk out of the parking lot and wander around. If the lifts are working, ride up and walk down. That works in Teton Village.
Have fun!
Wayne

Venchka
06-21-2018, 17:09
Will you have a rental car?
When in doubt ask Google:
https://www.discoveralta.com/business/hiking-alta/
Wayne

saltysack
06-21-2018, 17:49
Will you have a rental car?
When in doubt ask Google:
https://www.discoveralta.com/business/hiking-alta/
Wayne

No car....uber. last minute trip so I’ll dig into it was just asking Incase any locals had any off the beaten path hikes

Venchka
06-21-2018, 19:23
The local hiking guide is obviously aimed at flatland tourists. Ask at Backcountrypost.com. Those folks know Utah.
Wayne

Dogwood
06-21-2018, 22:24
Devils Castle through Albion Basin IF the snow allows.

jgerke
06-22-2018, 12:19
Check out the White Pine TH a mile or two below Snowbird, that would be my first choice. About a mile up the trail from the White Pine TH the trail splits. If you take a left at the junction it will take you to White Pine Lake, if you go right it will take you to Red Pine Lake. Both are beautiful destinations. White Pine Lake is about 10 miles round trip and Red Pine Lake is about 6.5 round trip. There are hiking trails at Snowbird and hiking to the top of Hidden Peak (where the tram goes) is a decent workout. Catherine's Pass above Alta is a pretty hike. From Catherines pass you can drop down into Brighton for additional mileage or you can go right at the pass and hike to the top of Sunset Peak. Cardiff Pass North of Alta is a good short hike. From Cardiff you can follow the ridgeline West all the way to the top of Mt Superior with some minor scrambling. Grizzley Gulch east of Alta is good. Lots of good options in that area. Pick up a Wasatch Mountains trail map at REI or similar stores. Feel free to message me if you need any questions. I live about 20 minutes from Snowbird.

saltysack
06-22-2018, 15:20
Check out the White Pine TH a mile or two below Snowbird, that would be my first choice. About a mile up the trail from the White Pine TH the trail splits. If you take a left at the junction it will take you to White Pine Lake, if you go right it will take you to Red Pine Lake. Both are beautiful destinations. White Pine Lake is about 10 miles round trip and Red Pine Lake is about 6.5 round trip. There are hiking trails at Snowbird and hiking to the top of Hidden Peak (where the tram goes) is a decent workout. Catherine's Pass above Alta is a pretty hike. From Catherines pass you can drop down into Brighton for additional mileage or you can go right at the pass and hike to the top of Sunset Peak. Cardiff Pass North of Alta is a good short hike. From Cardiff you can follow the ridgeline West all the way to the top of Mt Superior with some minor scrambling. Grizzley Gulch east of Alta is good. Lots of good options in that area. Pick up a Wasatch Mountains trail map at REI or similar stores. Feel free to message me if you need any questions. I live about 20 minutes from Snowbird.

Perfect thx!

saltysack
06-22-2018, 15:20
Devils Castle through Albion Basin IF the snow allows.

Thx DW...I’ll look it up

steve_zavocki
06-22-2018, 16:38
I used to live in Sandy for a couple years. Cecret Lake is a popular day hike, and not such a secret. Parking is tight there and the road doesn't open to around the 4th of July. You can also hike there from Alta for a longer trip. It is not uncommon to see moose in that area. There are beautiful meadows with flowers and lots of snow making equipment around.

Also try a crown burger with pastrami, and of course In-N-Out burger.

saltysack
06-26-2018, 12:45

How’s water on white pine trail going to hit it today.

saltysack
06-28-2018, 11:07

Thx for the advice. I hiked down from snowbird and did white pine lake trail...tougher than expected coming from sea level the day before probably had something to do with it. The lake reminds me of something I’d seen in the Sierra....beautiful!!!
Saw my first pine marten as well as lots of muleys and a moose.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180628/c998aab420aa2511980ed7bdd83f8465.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180628/ef58df48e0d36c183105ba13c7b604c7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180628/59f8bdde5d7ddbb9d81523a45324dd17.jpg

Venchka
06-28-2018, 13:18
Welcome to the Rockies.
Glad it worked out for you.
Wayne

Night Train
07-05-2018, 22:04
See any Squatch?

saltysack
07-06-2018, 18:56
See any Squatch?

Drank enough “Polygamy Porters” surprised I didn’t![emoji23]only in Utah....