PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about hiking

Kasandra
06-22-2018, 16:46
Hello everybody my name is Kasandra Jones and I’m from Baltimore.
- We are going to the Appalachians with my family in 3 weeks. I have two sons Jake and Bradley and I will need to track them somehow during our expedition, what do you recommend?

rocketsocks
06-22-2018, 16:59
Hello everybody my name is Kasandra Jones and I’m from Baltimore.
- We are going to the Appalachians with my family in 3 weeks. I have two sons Jake and Bradley and I will need to track them somehow during our expedition, what do you recommend?eyeballs.....

Rain Man
06-22-2018, 16:59
My advice is don't track them. However, let me ask how old they are and will they be hiking alone?

PGH1NC
06-22-2018, 21:01
Have the kids wear bright day-glow shirts?

DownYonder
06-22-2018, 21:36
Drones? ;)

Venchka
06-22-2018, 22:19
Outfit the children with one of these EACH.
Teach them how and when to use them. In an emergency only!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/NRS-Storm-Safety-Whistle-Multi-Colored/26972349?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1259&adid=22222222228018459156&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=62929287729&wl4=pla-99467053449&wl5=9027104&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112343778&wl11=online&wl12=26972349&wl13=&veh=sem
Wayne

OCDave
06-22-2018, 22:47
... I have two sons Jake and Bradley and I will need to track them somehow during our expedition, what do you recommend?

How do you normally keep track of them?

Do that.

Feral Bill
06-22-2018, 23:09
Outfit the children with one of these EACH.
Teach them how and when to use them. In an emergency only!
https://www.walmart.com/ip/NRS-Storm-Safety-Whistle-Multi-Colored/26972349?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1259&adid=22222222228018459156&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=62929287729&wl4=pla-99467053449&wl5=9027104&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112343778&wl11=online&wl12=26972349&wl13=&veh=sem
Wayne

When I led trips with difficult teens we used whistles. As above, they were only for emergencies. Never needed them, but...

Also, if hiking as a group, have one adult lead and another trail behind.

lonehiker
06-22-2018, 23:15
You haven't given enough information for anyone to really give a good answer. Age is vital. Do you plan on intentionally separating?

shelb
06-22-2018, 23:38
As others have mentioned, you don't give much information about your sons.

When I took my young sons to Disney, I dressed them alike each day (yellow shirt/blue short). That made it easy for me if one came up missing - I could look at the other one! I realize it isn't so simple on the Trial.... I first took them on the trail when they were 10 and 12. I tried to match up the colors, but it didn't always work. I did demand that they stay within "calling distance" of me...we all had whistles. If they got out of my sight, I sent a whistle out. they then had to whistle back twice and stop and wait. ... maybe I was overprotective... but they were ok with it..

jefals
06-23-2018, 02:16
There are phone apps like Family Tracker. Check em out - they might work on the trail, I don't know. As long as the power lasts and no one gets separated from their phone...

moldy
06-23-2018, 14:05
When we have a young bird dog that ranges too far out we tie about 2 feet of heavy chain on it's collar to slow them down.

Venchka
06-23-2018, 14:30
When we have a young bird dog that ranges too far out we tie about 2 feet of heavy chain on it's collar to slow them down.
"No more phone calls, we have a winner!" :sun
Welcome to WhiteBlaze Humor!
But seriously Kasandra, where exactly are you going? What are you planning to do?
My wife and I visited the Grand Teton & Yellowstone National Parks in May. We saw a bazillion families with children ranging from infants to teens. On several occasions everyone was in close proximity to ginormous wild creatures, lethal thermal features or massive waterfalls. As far as we know, none of the children harmed any of the critters or thermal features. And vice versa. The Appalachians are relatively tame by comparison.
Common sense usually works just fine.
Have a great trip!
Wayne

gpburdelljr
06-23-2018, 15:39
There are phone apps like Family Tracker. Check em out - they might work on the trail, I don't know. As long as the power lasts and no one gets separated from their phone...
They only work if you have a cell signal, and many places on the trail don’t.

greentick
06-23-2018, 18:15
I've been known to write my phone number on the inside of their tshirt hem if they weren't old enough to memorize it

Bright shirts

Engine/caboose adults

Venchka
06-23-2018, 20:20
Be thankful if/when you have cell service in the mountains.
I’ve lost cell service AND satellite radio in the mountains.
That’s a good thing actually.
Wayne

jefals
06-24-2018, 01:12
Are you sure about that? I'm thinking they likely work from satellites. ..

Venchka
06-24-2018, 05:54
Are you sure about that? I'm thinking they likely work from satellites. ..
A 30 second investigation turned up a few bits of information:
Everyone in the family needs a phone to participate in the family tracking plan.
The system is cell phone based, not satellite based.
As a Verizon customer I checked their service. $10/month for up to 10 users.
The effectiveness would definitely be user age dependent.
Satellite systems aren’t 100% reliable either as evidenced by our automobile based Serius radio system. We never have a problem on the plains. Steep walled canyons are another story.
SPOT or inReach devices would be better than cell phone systems in the mountains, but require a certain age operator to use the 2-way communication features.
Track your family the mountains the old fashioned analog way. Practice and training work.
Wayne

jefals
06-24-2018, 08:27
Wayne! Did you really need to spend 30 seconds to discover that everyone needs to have a phone in order to track them? Also, can you provide info as to what you read that says the technology is cell tower based rather than gps based? My 30 seconds of research says it's gps based. I have not used a family tracking app. however, other tracking apps I have used - Guthook, All-Trails - apps that link to GPS satellites to tell me where I'm at - do not require cell signals.
Lastly, yes - perhaps you could be in a place where the satellite can't find you - yet you still carry that SPOT gizmo of yours, don't ya bud?

Slo-go'en
06-24-2018, 09:23
Wayne! Did you really need to spend 30 seconds to discover that everyone needs to have a phone in order to track them? Also, can you provide info as to what you read that says the technology is cell tower based rather than gps based? My 30 seconds of research says it's gps based. I have not used a family tracking app. however, other tracking apps I have used - Guthook, All-Trails - apps that link to GPS satellites to tell me where I'm at - do not require cell signals.
Lastly, yes - perhaps you could be in a place where the satellite can't find you - yet you still carry that SPOT gizmo of yours, don't ya bud?

GPS tells you where YOU are. If you want to know where someone else in the party is, you need to connect to their phone via a cell tower to get their information back to you. The whole idea is to know where the others are relative to where you are, and for that to happen everyone needs to be connected to each other and the only practical way to do that is via cell towers. This system was probably geared for finding your kids in the Mall or playground, not out in the wilderness.

DownYonder
06-24-2018, 09:36
There are personal gps tracking devices that use satellites to locate/track the beacon. We used one when we cruised aboard our sailboat. Our family could easily see where we were at all times. Your coordinates are monitored on the tracking companies system. Then your family can access the information on their computer or cell phone. Satellite tracking integrated with computer technology....best of both worlds.

gpburdelljr
06-24-2018, 12:07
There are personal gps tracking devices that use satellites to locate/track the beacon. We used one when we cruised aboard our sailboat. Our family could easily see where we were at all times. Your coordinates are monitored on the tracking companies system. Then your family can access the information on their computer or cell phone. Satellite tracking integrated with computer technology....best of both worlds.
Those type systems would be pretty expensive for each of a family of three to have a device, plus a service plan, (Garmin InReach, etc.).

DownYonder
06-24-2018, 13:35
Those type systems would be pretty expensive for each of a family of three to have a device, plus a service plan, (Garmin InReach, etc.).

Yes and No. The Garmin is a very comprehensive platform and as you correctly point out, it is expensive. However, the small personal locator beacons are 1/10 the cost. It's been a while since I researched the plans to monitor them, so I have no idea what the monitoring subscriptions now cost.

Slo-go'en
06-24-2018, 14:21
The OP hasn't clarified it situation, but it sounds like they want to keep track of the kids in real time while hiking. SPOT and PBL are not ideally suited for this. Probably the easiest thing to do is get some FSR walkie talkies.

gpburdelljr
06-24-2018, 15:19
The OP hasn't clarified it situation, but it sounds like they want to keep track of the kids in real time while hiking. SPOT and PBL are not ideally suited for this. Probably the easiest thing to do is get some FSR walkie talkies.
Radios often don’t work very well in hilly forested terrain.

Feral Bill
06-24-2018, 15:24
Radios often don’t work very well in hilly forested terrain. They are okay over short distances, in my experience, and probably the best electronic tool. However, there is no substitute for constant vigilance and teaching kids on what to do.

jefals
06-24-2018, 15:27
but you can usually get a monthly plan, can't you, so you only have to pay for it while you're using it?

How is a walkie talkie going to tell the parent where the kid is?

gpburdelljr
06-24-2018, 15:27
Yes and No. The Garmin is a very comprehensive platform and as you correctly point out, it is expensive. However, the small personal locator beacons are 1/10 the cost. It's been a while since I researched the plans to monitor them, so I have no idea what the monitoring subscriptions now cost.
Can the small cheap PLBs send a location to another PLB, via satellite? You would need that to track someone on the trail with you.

Venchka
06-24-2018, 17:04
Do what parents did in The Dark Ages. Some of us managed to survive without transistors and batteries. In places like Glacier NP, British Columbia, the Berkshire Hills, etc.
Wayne

Five Tango
06-24-2018, 17:16
I have a hiking partner with an 8 yr old son.This young man was taught to stay with the rest of us and is never out of sight.I don't know how he was trained but I know how I would have been trained at that age but of course it was the 20th Century.BTW,the kid is a pleasure to be on trail with and more than pulls his own weight.....

DownYonder
06-24-2018, 17:39
Inexpensive gps tracker

http://www.spytecinc.com/gps-satellite-tracking.html?utm_source=YouTube&utm_medium=GPS(IS)&utm_campaign=GPS&utm_content=CTA

Feral Bill
06-24-2018, 17:47
Inexpensive gps tracker

http://www.spytecinc.com/gps-satellite-tracking.html?utm_source=YouTube&utm_medium=GPS(IS)&utm_campaign=GPS&utm_content=CTA Not so useful where there is no internet or cell service.

DownYonder
06-24-2018, 18:18
I should have been more specific. The individual with the tracker on their person (in this case the child) is tracked via gps.....no cell service required. The parents pay $25 mo to access the companies tracking service and can have real-time location of the child as long as the parent has cell/internet service.

DownYonder
06-24-2018, 18:41
I should have been more specific. The individual with the tracker on their person (in this case the child) is tracked via gps.....no cell service required. The parents pay $25 mo to access the companies tracking service and can have real-time location of the child as long as the parent has cell/internet service.

DISREGARD THIS POST. I AM INCORRECT. I will try to locate the service we used aboard our boat and post it.

DownYonder
06-24-2018, 18:41

We used an ACR satellite tracking system (I see the price is still fairly stiff) but the Spot Gen3 is less expensive.

http://www.hikeventures.com/Best-satellite-messenger-locator-beacons/

Feral Bill
06-24-2018, 19:31
I should have been more specific. The individual with the tracker on their person (in this case the child) is tracked via gps.....no cell service required. The parents pay $25 mo to access the companies tracking service and can have real-time location of the child as long as the parent has cell/internet service. Thus the problem. For a parent worried about their teen hiking alone, maybe.

egilbe
06-24-2018, 19:43
You know the OP had t posted since the first post?

Venchka
06-24-2018, 20:43
You know the OP had t posted since the first post?
Yes. Wondering if/when she might be back.
Wayne

Feral Bill
06-24-2018, 21:10
Maybe she's lurking? Are you out there K?

chknfngrs
06-25-2018, 07:07
Trolling trollster

Kasandra
06-27-2018, 04:30
Thanks everybody for advises, sorry, didn't have internet excess for a few days!

Another Kevin
06-28-2018, 13:13
'Internet excess.' I like that, being an excessive Internet user myself. :D