PDA

View Full Version : Flying with gear advice

ramdino
06-24-2018, 21:49
I'm going to be flying into DC for a trip starting at Harpers Ferry this summer can I bring food stuff in my bag and if so will I have to check it rather than carry on ?what can I not bring other than a fuel canister. Since most of my food stuff will be in foil pouches as purchased at a grocery store would it be better to mail a box to the hospital I am starting from?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GoldenBear
06-24-2018, 22:45
https://www.consumerreports.org/consumerist/a-big-list-of-foods-that-you-can-bring-through-airport-security/
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening

Flammable material is a BIG no-no, and a stove with even a trace of fuel might be problematic. Since you mention canisters, I conclude your stove will be okay.

MuddyWaters
06-24-2018, 23:32
No fuel no residue or smells

Matches lighters in carryon
Li batteries ....read current rules

Sharps in checked

I just check bag, but carry on down and cuben.

Dogwood
06-24-2018, 23:52
I'm going to be flying into DC for a trip starting at Harpers Ferry this summer can I bring food stuff in my bag and if so will I have to check it rather than carry on ?what can I not bring other than a fuel canister. Since most of my food stuff will be in foil pouches as purchased at a grocery store would it be better to mail a box to the hospital I am starting from?

I tend to mail food for hikes when flying to get to a hike. It makes an easier carry with less potential for TSA issues. Food is my largest single category of wt and bulk in my kit if it's 3+ days chow. I always carry my UL kit onto flights because I prefer to always have it in my possession. I've never carried any liquid food or drink on flights unless it was bought after the TSA check pt at the AP. After so many flights carrying on my pack with trail food in it I never had an issue until recently at the Sunport AP in ALB. There was absolutely nothing different about the 3 days food and the food packaging I hadn't carried on board dozens of previous domestic flights. The TSA Head Agent was a hard arse a hole roughly emptying my entire pack while threatening me about my food and threatening to make me miss my flight because I told him I never had issue in over 50 domestic flights. He gave some lame arse reason that only a few AP's including the SunPort had new rules. Overwhelming, I seek to work and comply with authority but that was one time I ran into an a hole head TSA Manager.

MuddyWaters
06-25-2018, 03:51
I tend to mail food for hikes when flying to get to a hike. It makes an easier carry with less potential for TSA issues. Food is my largest single category of wt and bulk in my kit if it's 3+ days chow. I always carry my UL kit onto flights because I prefer to always have it in my possession. I've never carried any liquid food or drink on flights unless it was bought after the TSA check pt at the AP. After so many flights carrying on my pack with trail food in it I never had an issue until recently at the Sunport AP in ALB. There was absolutely nothing different about the 3 days food and the food packaging I hadn't carried on board dozens of previous domestic flights. The TSA Head Agent was a hard arse a hole roughly emptying my entire pack while threatening me about my food and threatening to make me miss my flight because I told him I never had issue in over 50 domestic flights. He gave some lame arse reason that only a few AP's including the SunPort had new rules. Overwhelming, I seek to work and comply with authority but that was one time I ran into an a hole head TSA Manager.

Unfortunately TSA, as well as other countries Airlines security personnel, can pretty much do whatever they want. Resisting is a good way to be delayed or even removed from a flight.

I had an agent conviscate a paper clip
I had a bunch of paperclips in a pocket in backpack

But one was bent open....to remove sim card from phone so i could put in local sim.
She held it up ." Not Allowed"

Whatever, ill make another

Also forced to throw away $15 in rechargeable AA NimH batteries (4). In a protective carry case.
When only lithium was restricted.

chknfngrs
06-25-2018, 07:13
If you’re flying into DCA and then metroing to Union Station you have easy access to grocery stores off the metro

If you want or need specifics let me know

chknfngrs
06-25-2018, 07:16
There is an rei behind union station as well for your needs

garlic08
06-25-2018, 07:18
Cutting tools can be problematic. I get around that by buying a package of single-edged razor blades at my destination.

Some TSA agents don't allow trekking poles. If you call them a walking aid, you might get away with it, but never argue.

ramdino
06-25-2018, 08:48
There is an rei behind union station as well for your needsTks, that's helpful, I assume the metro or amtrak will allow food in foil and fuel

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ramdino
06-25-2018, 08:51
If you’re flying into DCA and then metroing to Union Station you have easy access to grocery stores off the metro

If you want or need specifics let me knowPlease would appreciate specifics

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

chknfngrs
06-25-2018, 10:29
I’ve taken Amtrak several times from Harper’s Ferry to DC and have not experienced difficulty boarding with my backpacking gear most likely because of my aroma

Easiest grocery store to visit is Harris teeter which is just a block from the rei

chknfngrs
06-25-2018, 10:30
Should have mentioned also that between rei and teeter is a metro station NoMa

chknfngrs
06-25-2018, 10:51
You can visit wmata dot com for specifics however

From the airport take metro to metro center and switch to red line and then red line to NoMa Gallaudet station

Exit metro onto m street ne

Half block to left is rei and half block to right is teeter

chknfngrs
06-25-2018, 10:53
Easy walk to union station from here or metro one stop back to union to catch train

I live nearby and can help you navigate further if you need more help

The Old Chief
06-25-2018, 10:59
Have you looked into renting a vehicle and driving to Harpers Ferry from NC. Some rental agencies will pick up the vehicle when you get to your destination. I would imagine by the time you fly into DC get to the train station, wait for the next train to Harpers Ferry and arrive there, you wouldn't have too much more time invested in just driving.

ramdino
06-25-2018, 12:58
Have you looked into renting a vehicle and driving to Harpers Ferry from NC. Some rental agencies will pick up the vehicle when you get to your destination. I would imagine by the time you fly into DC get to the train station, wait for the next train to Harpers Ferry and arrive there, you wouldn't have too much more time invested in just driving.It's a 7.5 hour drive. I can get a plan ticket for 68 from Concord nc on alegiant to dc. But it flies into the baltimore thurgood marshall airport. Do trains run from there to union?

chknfngrs
06-25-2018, 13:07
BWI is a beast I am unfamiliar with

Google MARC trains but you may be able to get to HF from there

Odd Man Out
06-25-2018, 13:32
Food can be problematic as a carry on item as it may scan as a gel/liquid and be subject to the 3 oz rule. Prepared food is specifically allowed, but a bulk jar of the same food could be a problem. So a PB and J sandwich is OK, but a jar of PB and a jar of jelly, maybe not. You could argue that it should be allowed, but arguing with the TSA person is not a good idea. I always ask myself "Do I want to risk having all my plans ruined because of what a TSA agent may or may not allow?" and the answer is always "No".

chknfngrs
06-25-2018, 13:34
I think it’s best to either mail it or buy it post air travel to limit the bobo

Dogwood
06-25-2018, 14:07
It's a 7.5 hour drive. I can get a plan ticket for 68 from Concord nc on alegiant to dc. But it flies into the baltimore thurgood marshall airport. Do trains run from there to union?

MARC goes from TGM AP to Union Sta/Amtrak. Get on Amtrak to HF from there. It's a fast commuter oriented train ride. Once at HF Amtrak Sta the AT, outfitter, CG, or CS's are a short walk. I'd walk around HF though to get in some history. I'd also walk up to the now abandoned Hill Top House for a great view overlooking a truly great scenic confluence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYRqSSANSYc HT House used to have an AYCE that didn't mind AT hikers.

Crushed Grapes
06-25-2018, 14:25
It's a 7.5 hour drive. I can get a plan ticket for 68 from Concord nc on alegiant to dc. But it flies into the baltimore thurgood marshall airport. Do trains run from there to union?

Amtrak and the MARC train from BWI to Union Station. You'd need to train from BWI to Union Station, then transfer there for Amtrak to Harper's Ferry.

The Old Chief
06-25-2018, 14:27
If every connection you need to make works out pretty much in your favor you could be in Harpers Ferry in 6 hours. The $68.00 air fare sounds great but how much will the train to Union Station cost and then the cost of the train from Union Station to Harpers Ferry? You would be better off buying your food and fuel at the Outfitter in Harpers Ferry if you can get there before they close at 6:00 pm. The last time I flew with my gear I used a duffle bag from Walmart (cost about 14.00) and checked it into baggage. Had some food and my hiking poles in the bag but no fuel. The downside is now there is a baggage fee and you will have to ditch the duffle bag.

BillyGr
06-25-2018, 16:14
Just FYI - Amtrak also serves BWI. You'd still go through DC (and have a layover there, depending on what time the flight and train work out to). Just doing a sample for the 27th (two days from now) shows a seat would be $29 and offers leaving the airport at (around) 12:30 or 2:30, with the second part from DC leaving at just after 4pm. Less than 3 hours total for the later one, not quite 5 for the earlier (longer layover in DC). Not sure if it's any less using MARC for the into DC leg, but probably not that different?

royalusa
06-25-2018, 17:53
Food can be problematic as a carry on item as it may scan as a gel/liquid and be subject to the 3 oz rule. Prepared food is specifically allowed, but a bulk jar of the same food could be a problem. So a PB and J sandwich is OK, but a jar of PB and a jar of jelly, maybe not. You could argue that it should be allowed, but arguing with the TSA person is not a good idea. I always ask myself "Do I want to risk having all my plans ruined because of what a TSA agent may or may not allow?" and the answer is always "No".

I learned the hard way that peanut butter is considered a gel and subject to the 3 ounce rule. Nutella and other similar "gels" would also fall in this category.

Jayne
06-25-2018, 18:02
The TSA is what happens when you pay people slightly above minimum wage and give them a badge. Being right won't help if you miss your flight - you're not going to get reimbursed or even get an apology. Plan accordingly.

ramdino
06-25-2018, 21:47
Thanks everyone for your help and replies,looking at the logistics of travel to airport 1.5 hrs, and getting there 1.5 early for check in, 1.5 for flight, then layover,then 1.5 train ride, then shuttle, i think the 7.5 hr car ride makes more sense. And i can shuttle back from my northern end anytime mileage i want plus have my own vehicle for site seeing if i want to.

Traveler
06-28-2018, 08:49
The TSA is what happens when you pay people slightly above minimum wage and give them a badge. Being right won't help if you miss your flight - you're not going to get reimbursed or even get an apology. Plan accordingly.

Denigrating TSA agents isn't helpful. Understanding what the TSA banned list contains would be helpful advice. This can be found on the TSA website easily. Many items banned from carry on into the cabin can be placed in checked bags like trekking poles, knives, tent stakes, etc. These items can also be shipped via USPS or UPS to a location easily accessible once one arrives.

Back on the trail
06-28-2018, 17:47
OK So i just flew last month and got thru TSA no problem. This is what needs to go under the plane. ANYTHING SHARP. Tent poles / tent stakes/ hiking sticks / knifes / potty trowel / tweezers in your med kit. No matches / no lighters / no fuel of any sort. The stove is fine just no canisters of fuel. What-- you use a refillable tank - great-- it has to be empty. Oh and no full outside water bottles. I did bring my two Smart water bottles ( Empty) Everything else went thru TSA fine.- I carried my ULA Catalyst on the plane as my carry on. And I had treated my hiking clothes that I was wearing that week my permethrin.

fiddlehead
06-29-2018, 09:32
Rules are different all over the world I have found out.
Carried a small (the smallest) swiss army knife last year out of Thailand: they took it
Bought another one in Europe and they assured me it was OK. No problem getting it out of Europe in my carry-on.
But once inside Thailand: they took it (again)
Went to Tasmania and bought a (rather large) solar powered power bank. No problems getting it to Thailand.
Tried to take it to my hike in Vietnam 2 weeks ago: They tried to take it.
I said: WAIT! I left the airport and went outside to hide it as I knew I'd be back in 10 days.
Couldn't find any place so I went in the car park and found a car that was the dirty-est one in there.
Hid it underneath that car.
Came back 2 days ago. Went to the car I hid it under: GONE!
Lost it.
Damn rules keep changing.
Last year, lighters had to be in check-in bags
This year: Lighters must be in carry-on.
At least in Thailand and Vietnam.
Trying to keep up with all the rules is killing me (and my gear)
Heading to Taiwan in a month to hike there: What will they take this time?

Odd Man Out
06-29-2018, 13:25
I had my pocket sized bottle of Sawyer Picaradin bug spray in my carry on. It was way less than three oz and in my quart zip bag with all my other liquid toiletries. It was a pump spray (not aerosol), and water based. The TSA person opened my bag and took it. I couldn't find anywhere that this said this item was prohibited, but I lost it nevertheless. I have one of those giant heavy green canvas Army Surplus duffel bags I use when I fly. My pack, poles, and everything goes in there. I have a tiny bag of non-hiking clothes for my carry on. I arrange to have the carry on and duffel stay with a shuttle driver, hotel, or car while I hike and get it back at the end. I also try to get non-stop flights when possible. I figure the fewer connections I have, the lower the chance there is of me or my bag missing a connection. This works for section hiking. For a thru hike I would take the train, bus, or get a disposable duffel at a resale shop.